• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Night Court’ Sequel Series in Development at NBC With John Larroquette, Melissa Rauch

ManaByte

The followup to the classic sitcom will see original series star John Larroquette return as Dan Fielding. “Big Bang Theory” alum Melissa Rauch is attached as an executive producer on the series.

The new multi-cam show would follow unapologetic optimist judge Abby Stone, daughter of the late original series character Harry Stone, as she follows in her father’s footsteps as she presides over the night shift of a Manhattan arraignment court. She tries to bring order to its crew of oddballs and cynics, most notably former night court prosecutor Fielding (Larroquette)

Quasicat

I’m on board with this, but really want to see the original series again. Does anyone know if it’s streaming yet? I looked earlier in the year and did not see it available anywhere.

Labolas

Fuck! Why the hell is Night Court getting a sequel? I love Night Court but why? Is it because writers nowadays can't create anything new? I can't imagine a character like Dan Fucking Fielding existing in today's climate.

Fuck! Why the hell is Night Court getting a sequel? I love Night Court but why? Is it because writers nowadays can't create anything new? I can't imagine a character like Dan Fucking Fielding existing in today's climate.
After watching the first two episodes, I can safely say neither could the writers. This is basically a PG rated version of Night Court, outside of the odd joke about a flasher. Not great, not even good really, but also not offensive in any way, unless you're offended by bland comedy.

It does have some potential. John Larroquette is the best part, but the judge isn't bad either. Some of the rest of the cast need more time to develop. The format of the show is still solid, though, and it's always nice to see a new sitcom being made instead of more reality TV or poorly designed game shows.

ManaByte

After watching the first two episodes, I can safely say neither could the writers. This is basically a PG rated version of Night Court, outside of the odd joke about a flasher. Not great, not even good really, but also not offensive in any way, unless you're offended by bland comedy.

It does have some potential. John Larroquette is the best part, but the judge isn't bad either. Some of the rest of the cast need more time to develop. The format of the show is still solid, though, and it's always nice to see a new sitcom being made instead of more reality TV or poorly designed game shows.

It felt like a continuation of the original, like this was made back then. Doesn't feel like a modern sitcom like Big Bang Theory or anything like that. Same sets, same structure as the original. Again, reviewers have said it hits its stride in a few episodes and becomes decently funny.

It felt like a continuation of the original, like this was made back then. Doesn't feel like a modern sitcom like Big Bang Theory or anything like that. Same sets, same structure as the original. Again, reviewers have said it hits its stride in a few episodes and becomes decently funny.
I hope so, because do I want to like it. I'll keep watching for now. A lot of good shows have really rough first seasons. Not the original Night Court, interestingly enough. That show, especially at the beginning had really emotionally sweet stories that were surprisingly heartfelt but still funny. I honestly think a lot of the sex was there to balance things out and keep people from feeling they were watching something like the hallmark channel, which didn't exist then but you get my point.

Either way, it's good to hear people who have seen more of new show that say it gets better.

ManaByte

I hope so, because do I want to like it. I'll keep watching for now. A lot of good shows have really rough first seasons. Not the original Night Court, interestingly enough. That show, especially at the beginning had really emotionally sweet stories that were surprisingly heartfelt but still funny. I honestly think a lot of the sex was there to balance things out and keep people from feeling they were watching something like the hallmark channel, which didn't exist then but you get my point.

Either way, it's good to hear people who have seen more of new show that say it gets better.

I can't stand modern sitcoms. Tried to watch Young Rock, but nope. Not that its woke or anything, just that it's so dumbed down for braindead smooth brains. But again this feels so much like the original, just in its pacing and how its not frantic like most other modern sitcoms, that I'll gladly sit down and watch this over anything else airing these days.

I can't stand modern sitcoms. Tried to watch Young Rock, but nope. Not that its woke or anything, just that it's so dumbed down for braindead smooth brains. But again this feels so much like the original, just in its pacing and how its not frantic like most other modern sitcoms, that I'll gladly sit down and watch this over anything else airing these days.
If you haven't already, I'd suggest Sprung. It's on amazon, but it's on the free channel so anyone can watch it. I made a thread about it a month or so ago. It's the best sitcom I've seen in years. It's from the guy who made My Name is Earl and Raising Hope.

Labolas

TBF, Dan Fielding is the best character in the original as well. John Larroquette is a pretty good actor. I can't imagine them doing the same type of bits they did in the late 80s with him. I kinda figured that the new series going no where as good as the original considering that all of the more outrageous stuff back then would be offensive today (ie Dan's sexdoll randomly inflating in court).

I wonder if Bull and Roz are coming back as well? I might check this out just to give it a chance but my expectations are low for it.

ELRenoRaven

So watching the two premiere episodes. Own the original series due to my love of it. This one has potential. I'm getting a few laughs. So I'll give it a chance. Usually takes shows a bit to find their footing. That ending of the first episde was pretty funny.

Last edited:
TBF, Dan Fielding is the best character in the original as well. John Larroquette is a pretty good actor. I can't imagine them doing the same type of bits they did in the late 80s with him. I kinda figured that the new series going no where as good as the original considering that all of the more outrageous stuff back then would be offensive today (ie Dan's sexdoll randomly inflating in court).

I wonder if Bull and Roz are coming back as well? I might check this out just to give it a chance but my expectations are low for it.
I was curious, so I looked it up. Roz is more likely. She acted as recently as 2021, while the actor who played bull hasn't been active since 2016.

[edit] While I was on wikipedia, I found out she's a standup comedian. I wasn't aware of that, but she's really good.

Last edited:
Yeah, after watching several more of these, I think I'm done. There were one or two decent episodes, but most of it all has just been disappointing.

Top Bottom