• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Toy Story 4” - Official Trailer

Visually looks good.

Another rescue movie that will prey upon late 20 to early 30 year old adults nostalgia in an excuse to take their child to see it. Disney knows the game.

mcjmetroid

I think it looks great. I'm one of those people who really liked Toy Story 3 but felt it lacked something.

Hopefully this fills the that gap. I'm of course in!

The Bo Peep inversion is predictable trendiness... it looks to me like Pixar franchises without John Lasseter degrades rapidly into committee-approved, bland content like everything left at Disney today.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Toy Story has always struggled to properly handle the existential implications of a living toy acting out its "true purpose" while at the same time banging the usual Disney "be anything you want to be" drum.

This movie looks like shit. Toy Story 3 is a depressing adult movie with terrible themes. This series just cycles the same conflict: will the toy be seduced by the outside world, or will they return to their kid to fulfill their purpose?

I wish "cancel culture" would do something valuable for society and flush Disney down the toilet.

Last edited:
... it looks to me like Pixar franchises without John Lasseter degrades rapidly into committee-approved, bland content like everything left at Disney today.
The first Toy Story was literally written with help from a Robert McKee seminar. Lasseter was having trouble with the final act, went to one of McKee's seminars and found it so enlightening that he made everyone else at Pixar go to the next one.

The first Toy Story was literally written with help from a Robert McKee seminar. Lasseter was having trouble with the final act, went to one of McKee's seminars and found it so enlightening that he made everyone else at Pixar go to the next one.

I don't see why pointing to Lasseter's need to learn screenwriting on their first major picture somehow discredits him as a driving force behind the best animated films of the past 20 years. He's more of an executive producer than strictly a writer in most cases anyway, but clearly exerted an enormous influence over the direction of Pixar as it managed to maintain a distinct voice or so long.

I don't see why pointing to Lasseter's need to learn screenwriting on their first major picture somehow discredits him as a driving force behind the best animated films of the past 20 years. He's more of an executive producer than strictly a writer in most cases anyway, but clearly exerted an enormous influence over the direction of Pixar as it managed to maintain a distinct voice or so long.
Just saying that if there is such a thing of "committee-approved, bland content", Robert McKee wrote the book on it. I don't have a lot of respect for Lasseter, especially after Cars was basically a Doc Hollywood remake. And the less said about Cars 2, the better.

oagboghi2

Just saying that if there is such a thing of "committee-approved, bland content", Robert McKee wrote the book on it. I don't have a lot of respect for Lasseter, especially after Cars was basically a Doc Hollywood remake. And the less said about Cars 2, the better.
That's like what, 2 movies out of 9

Calcium

Banned
Wow, they really whacked Bo Peep with the "strong wahmenz" stick. It doesn't even feel like the same character, why not just make a new character?

I can't believe we are going through the whole "Woody is lost, let's get him back" plot again. Pixar really can't come up with something new after all these years?

Fbh

Looks Ok I guess?

Not that Toy Story has the deepest story or world but 3 still seemed like the perfect way to end the franchise and nothing about this trailer has changed my mind

Toy Story has always struggled to properly handle the existential implications of a living toy acting out its "true purpose" while at the same time banging the usual Disney "be anything you want to be" drum.

Lol and now they have expanded it not just include toys but every crappy thing you made in kindergarten

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Lol and now they have expanded it not just include toys but every crappy thing you made in kindergarten
I may have been born a biological spork, but I identify as a child's plaything.

Remember that the first movie was centralized on the idea of accepting our purpose in life, not denying who we really are, not succumbing to delusions of grandeur and instead finding solace in fulfilling our lot in life.

Owjql3.gif

HotPocket69

Banned
I dunno about this. The previous movies had an overall feel to them that they were primarily aimed at kids. This one? Uhhh…..is the targeted demographic depressed 30 somethings that saw the original in the theater?

The focus on the word "change" worries me. These are just feel good movies about toys. They don't have to change, they don't have to change me, change isn't even always good.

I'll give it a watch! Seems to be received pretty poorly in this thread, but it looks fine to me.

The first one is a classic, and the story could've easily stopped there. I don't remember #2, but I thought #3 was good the one time I saw it. I expect Bo Peep's shtick to be trope-y, but I don't think they'll go full ERA with it. As long as the movie maintains the Toy Story charm and feels like a natural progression of the storyline, I don't see it doing any harm.

Just remember... it could be worse.
detective-pikachu-model.png

Toy Story without John Lasseter is a worrying prospect.

3 ended on such a high note that it would be a crying shame if they fuck up what was once a perfectly complete story.

Toy Story means a hell of a lot to me, I was there in 1995 when it first played in theaters, I then went on to watch the movie probably hundreds of times on VHS as a kid, I remember how blown away I was by Toy Story 2 and then of course Toy Story 3 was amazing.

So yeah, this is going to be emotional, I'm excited by the prospect of spending more time with these characters but the prognosis isn't great.

iconmaster

Banned
Grace Randolph "wouldn't say it's a good movie." She's moderately woke and still found the messaging in the film grating.

Top Bottom