• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Personally I prefer the Bobber or the regular T120, but it looks a lot nicer than the old Speedmaster did.
I also prefer the looks of the standard Bobber, but this does look more practical (if that's really a factor in buying such a bike)

The bigger news is the upgrade to the Bobber Black - upgraded suspension, cruise control, and hurrah some decent front brakes! (dual disk Brembos)

Dougald

Boy I am glad BMW gives a discount for older machines (5%)

Front discs came in at £235 each in the end. That one model of 1150R seems to have costly discs, other years I've seen Brembo discs available for half of that

Dougald

Each! That's not even dealership expensive, they were about the same price on eBay, unless I ditched Brembo and went with a cheaper brand

Edit: Labour was comparatively cheap, only £100 or so plus VAT (20%) for all 3 discs/pads. At least, cheap compared to what I've paid at Triumph or Ducati before...

Ocho

After being sure I wouldn't return to HID, I went today to remove the ballast and it turns out the previous owner had two different brands running each light. Maybe that is why the color didn't match entirely. Anyway, I'm back to halogens for reals, might look into LEDs if I find that people had favorable experiences on this bike.

Stevey

bikepics-1175259-full.jpg

Found my old Bikepics.com page

Stevey

Spent a fortune on that, resprung the forks, new back shock, polished the rims, new headlights (it was one with the fairing to start with), jacked it up, undertray, loads of carbon and coloured bolts, rejetted the carbs k&n, hi rise pipe, cut the exhaust in half.
Let it go for a grand :v

Spent a fortune on that, resprung the forks, new back shock, polished the rims, new headlights (it was one with the fairing to start with), jacked it up, undertray, loads of carbon and coloured bolts, rejetted the carbs k&n, hi rise pipe, cut the exhaust in half.
Let it go for a grand :v

Yeah, that sounds familiar. Would be cool to be able to afford keeping everything.

Maedre

Banned
Fellow UK-Bike-GAFer,

when I look at my favorite UK motovloggers, there is one think that striked me:

If I go riding with a buddy(s), we meet up somewhere an ride our tour together. Somwhere on this tour we sit down, drink a coffey and ride back or aiming for the next destination.
What I saw in the UK motovolgger scene is more a big meet-ups somwehre at a bar or something like this and after some time everyone drives home alone.

I mean I love meeting up with other drivers but riding together is so much fun.So is this the case in the UK?

1st Edit: Damn, one week without writing, and thinking in english and I'm back at a 5th grade english level. -.-

2nd Edit: It's so fucking grey, wet and unstable outside. I hope we get a golden october or november. I'm a minimum of 1000 km short this year. I think i need beter gear for colder days.

Dougald

I can only speak for myself but most people here will ride to a motorcycle-friendly roadside cafe either alone or with a couple of mates, chat bikes and then go home. We are fortunate here that there are lots of bike cafs with regular meetups though. I know any given Saturday/Sunday morning that I can go to at least 3 places within 45 minutes of here that'll have a group of bikes, hot food and coffee.

Large group rideouts here tend to either be protests, the occasional big organised ride, or hooligans on nicked bikes

Dougald

Most of these places are old Transport Cafes. Before the motorway network was constructed these were popular stops on main roads where people could stop for a cup of tea and a sandwich or something. Most of them went away as the motorways came in, the ones that stayed either tend to be in a lucky place that they still get a lot of traffic, or because they had history as a meetup spot

Somewhere like the famous Ace Cafe is a good example. Transport cafe popular with Rockers in the 60s (as they could race around Londons North circular road), went away as motorways opened, then actually reconstructed for bikes a few decades later.

Loomies is mostly popular with motorcyclists as its in the South Downs National Park which has some fantastic roads

There is also Rykas Cafe at Box Hill which is popular with bikers and cyclists, due to the location having some spectacular roads - it's where the road cycling for London 2012 was held

..that's just a few near me, most have a similar history I'm sure.

Dougald

If you're ever biking in the UK I recommend swinging by one. Food ranges from terrible to passable (it is England after all) but at least you can get a cheap cup of coffee and look at all the pretty bikes

Maedre

Banned
UK is still on my list for next year. Sadly I wasn't able to plan it yet. But I want to make two tours.

To land's end and into the highlands. Maybe I will combine them.

Dougald

UK is still on my list for next year. Sadly I wasn't able to plan it yet. But I want to make two tours.

To land's end and into the highlands. Maybe I will combine them.

This book has a nice 4-day Lands End to John O'Groats (tip of Scotland) route in it, avoiding most of the motorways. Also some really nice looking routes in the Scottish Highlands

Watevaman

I threw the stock exhaust can on the ZRX last night. Haven't had a chance to ride but it sounds so quiet compared to the Kerker can I had on. We will see if I like the quieter sound, otherwise the Kerkers going back on.

Dougald

I generally prefer a quieter bike so tend to leave the stock on. A lot of them just end up sounding awful though, like the manufacturer just assumed anyone who cares would buy an aftermarket pipe. I'm looking at you, Bonneville 800. At least with Ducati you get the choice of a great sounding bike with the stock pipe, or an amazing-if-deafening bike with the Termi system.

Be interested to hear which side of that fence your bike falls on

I threw the stock exhaust can on the ZRX last night. Haven't had a chance to ride but it sounds so quiet compared to the Kerker can I had on. We will see if I like the quieter sound, otherwise the Kerkers going back on.

Yeah, I'm conflicted with regards to exhausts and baffles and such. I drove around France with the baffles in and I do like not annoying people as much (though I hope there's more people like me that love to hear a bike blasting around the countryside), but with that baffle removed... oh man. It's just a different experience. Really unleashes the bike's rowdy character that much more. Every time I had the opportunity to blast through a couple of gears, I'm like -> .
X1 Lightning is Vasquez.

Watevaman

The Kerker is very smooth and actually pretty take until I'm getting on it. I hate a lot of exhausts on I4s but I guess the higher displacement motors deal with the sound better. Thing is, I'll pr9bably have to put the Kerker can back on if I ever want more power, which is a possibility.

Dougald

Well that's it, I finally covered up the Monster last night, signifying that the season is over and I'm only going to be using it sparingly now until spring

All in all a good year. I put nearly 2000 miles on the bike which is more than I've done in the last few years, and she did it all with a smile. Given the cost of my new bathroom, it looks like I'll be keeping the bike for the 2018 season (unless I get a windfall), but I'm more than happy to do so.

Watevaman

Well that's it, I finally covered up the Monster last night, signifying that the season is over and I'm only going to be using it sparingly now until spring

All in all a good year. I put nearly 2000 miles on the bike which is more than I've done in the last few years, and she did it all with a smile. Given the cost of my new bathroom, it looks like I'll be keeping the bike for the 2018 season (unless I get a windfall), but I'm more than happy to do so.

I need to decide within the next month or so when I want to put the rex away. Gonna be using a friends garage, so once it's in, it's probably not coming out until riding season.

Glad you enjoyed the Monster. You need to stop visiting those dealers, give your own bike a fighting chance! ;)

It's a good thing I went on a couple of bike trips this year otherwise I woudn't have gotten a lot of riding in. Did maybe 4000 km (2500 miles) this year?

Next to nothing on the Uly because we didn't get around to fixing that bearing, hopefully this winter.

Think I filled up the new XB12Scg 4 times, which is about 800km or so.

The project bike, just one or two rides, my dad is storing it. 200km maybe.

The majority of riding was done on the X1. Three trips to Limburg/Germany and France of course. I'm going to say about 3000km.

Should start keeping track of this more.

Oh man that is not good. There might be some good weather still in between the rain. At least you did a good bit of miles.

Dougald

You need to stop visiting those dealers, give your own bike a fighting chance! ;)

Well I did have my heart set on a tour but I can always do that in 2019. Anything other than long-distance, I have no problems keeping the Ducati, it's a great ride.

Getting rid of my horrible, horrible 1970s baby pink bathroom suite with matching tiles is more of a priority. What were the previous owners thinking...

Well I did have my heart set on a tour but I can always do that in 2019. Anything other than long-distance, I have no problems keeping the Ducati, it's a great ride.

Getting rid of my horrible, horrible 1970s baby pink bathroom suite with matching tiles is more of a priority. What were the previous owners thinking...

Have you moved to a new house?

I'm still not tired of that hi-vis yellow look. Lovely

No, I moved to this place a few years ago, but between the 1970s kitchen and 1970s bathroom we did the kitchen first, so I've been living in a pink hell for years

haha, great. Thought that you where looking for another job in Wales or something like that. Just thought you have made the move.

Dougald

haha, great. Thought that you where looking for another job in Wales or something like that. Just thought you have made the move.

It was a position in Dublin, but it didn't happen for various reasons, so I figured I ought to spend some money on this place if I'm going to be stuck in Reading for the time-being

The NEC Motorcycle show is on while my house is being trashed next month, so I'll go check out all the new bikes

Ocho

Had my first "close call" (but not really) of a tiny sports car trying to merge into my lane (he was left lane, I was middle lane). Fortunately the guy realized his mistake midway through the merge, also I was riding the right side of the lane and was able to slow down without trouble. I was going around ~40 mph.

I should've premeditated this might happen since the guy was driving faster than the vehicle ahead of him in the left lane, he had just caught up with him, and he for sure would've looked to go around it. I was also driving on his pace and possibly in his blind spot.

I already have my GoPro but my helmet mount arrives tomorrow, wished I had video.

A classic example of how it's not our fault as riders, but we should be looking constantly for dangers on the road. Lessons gained: looks for vehicles going faster on left lane that might want to (stupidly) pass using the right lane, stay out of blind spots (obvious, of course).

Newbie rider update:

I'm pretty good with stops now, can balance decently enough to stop and land with my left foot without issue. I haven't stalled the bike for a while either.

I'm still trying to "master" shifting/downshifting. Should I shift up based on rpms or on speed? My user manual says I should shift up at 12, 19, 25, 31, 36 (miles). I'm trying to stick by that, and I do notice that if I shift up while going faster than what's on the manual, my bike slows down when it kicks into the new gear.

I guess my issue lies on how "natural" it feels when I shift up, sometimes I get it right, sometimes it feels clunky, sometimes I feel I'm going too fast through the gears, sometimes I feel I'm not going fast enough. For example, on a stop, I can launch faster than cars, but as soon as I start to shift up through the gears (pull lever, release throttle, move feet, shift up, release lever, throttle up), cars catch up with me since I'm "wasting" speed/time shifting up.

Should I engage the clutch lever quickly or should I do it smoothly? Do you guys rest your hand on the clutch lever? I feel smoothly works better, but takes more time. If I shift up while driving slowly, it goes great, but when I start from a stop in a busy avenue, smoothly seems too slow.

Edit: Oh and I finally have my M1 license.

OraleeWey

Had my first "close call" (but not really) of a tiny sports car trying to merge into my lane (he was left lane, I was middle lane). Fortunately the guy realized his mistake midway through the merge, also I was riding the right side of the lane and was able to slow down without trouble. I was going around ~40 mph.

I should've premeditated this might happen since the guy was driving faster than the vehicle ahead of him in the left lane, he had just caught up with him, and he for sure would've looked to go around it. I was also driving on his pace and possibly in his blind spot.

I already have my GoPro but my helmet mount arrives tomorrow, wished I had video.

A classic example of how it's not our fault as riders, but we should be looking constantly for dangers on the road. Lessons gained: looks for vehicles going faster on left lane that might want to (stupidly) pass using the right lane, stay out of blind spots (obvious, of course).

Newbie rider update:

I'm pretty good with stops now, can balance decently enough to stop and land with my left foot without issue. I haven't stalled the bike for a while either.

I'm still trying to "master" shifting/downshifting. Should I shift up based on rpms or on speed? My user manual says I should shift up at 12, 19, 25, 31, 36 (miles). I'm trying to stick by that, and I do notice that if I shift up while going faster than what's on the manual, my bike slows down when it kicks into the new gear.

I guess my issue lies on how "natural" it feels when I shift up, sometimes I get it right, sometimes it feels clunky, sometimes I feel I'm going too fast through the gears, sometimes I feel I'm not going fast enough. For example, on a stop, I can launch faster than cars, but as soon as I start to shift up through the gears (pull lever, release throttle, move feet, shift up, release lever, throttle up), cars catch up with me since I'm "wasting" speed/time shifting up.

Should I engage the clutch lever quickly or should I do it smoothly? Do you guys rest your hand on the clutch lever? I feel smoothly works better, but takes more time. If I shift up while driving slowly, it goes great, but when I start from a stop in a busy avenue, smoothly seems too slow.

Edit: Oh and I finally have my M1 license.

My one advice is watch out for left turners. For the love of whoever you pray to... Watch out for left turners. Watch out for situations where a left turner might possibly be lurking... Sometimes, cars are nice enough to relinquish their right of way in order to give it to a left turner even though from the left turners perspective, they cannot see 2 lanes left of him opposite from him. They will try to make that left anyway.

For shifting, like I said before, I was making the mistake of following the manual's shifting recommendations and my KLR would end up chugging. Don't follow the manual. Just shift when ever your engine feels like it is time to shift. I think the manual suggests that for maximum possible mileage out of the tank. Don't be afraid to use your engine. I don't know when you should shift but I'm thinking 3-4k RPM from first gear, and then 5k RPM after that for each gear (my guess). You should give equal clutch/throttle from first gear -> second gear to get rolling, but all gears after that you sort of let go of the clutch and get back on the gas quickly. Technically, you aren't damaging your engine until redline...

Some people will use the first two gears to get up to 50/60+ mph and then rapidly shift to their highest gear. Others will shift to the highest gear as they have the appropriate amount of speed. It just depends. My KLR650 redlines at 7,500 RPM and from first to second, I shift at about 2,000-2,500RPM. After that, it depends on the situation. I might shift sooner or later. But usually at 3k-3.5k RPM if cruising and 4k-5k+ if I need to get out of there quick. For reference.

Ehr, looks like a 2017 Kawasaki. It is not a compliment :p
I thought so too at first. It looks good though.

It's a good thing I went on a couple of bike trips this year otherwise I woudn't have gotten a lot of riding in. Did maybe 4000 km (2500 miles) this year?

Next to nothing on the Uly because we didn't get around to fixing that bearing, hopefully this winter.

Think I filled up the new XB12Scg 4 times, which is about 800km or so.

The project bike, just one or two rides, my dad is storing it. 200km maybe.

The majority of riding was done on the X1. Three trips to Limburg/Germany and France of course. I'm going to say about 3000km.

Should start keeping track of this more.
Not too early for new year's resolutions is it? Mine will be to put more miles on the saddle than this year and last year. I think I put 3,000m on my 06 last year and just over 2,000m on my 16 this year. Season isn't over for me yet, though.

Dougald

Yeah for shifting, just go until it feels like you’re out of power, then upshift. Until you hit cruising speed, then select an appropriate gear. You can even upshift without using the clutch after a little practice, though I don’t generally do that myself

Heck, my first bike didn’t even have a rev counter, so I’m used to just going on feel. You won’t even think about it after a while

Not too early for new year's resolutions is it? Mine will be to put more miles on the saddle than this year and last year. I think I put 3,000m on my 06 last year and just over 2,000m on my 16 this year. Season isn't over for me yet, though.

More miles sounds like a plan for me too. It’ll be my last year with the Monster I suspect, so I want to get a nice trip in, maybe up to Yorkshire

OraleeWey

Yeah for shifting, just go until it feels like you’re out of power, then upshift. Until you hit cruising speed, then select an appropriate gear. You can even upshift without using the clutch after a little practice, though I don’t generally do that myself

Heck, my first bike didn’t even have a rev counter, so I’m used to just going on feel. You won’t even think about it after a while

More miles sounds like a plan for me too. It’ll be my last year with the Monster I suspect, so I want to get a nice trip in, maybe up to Yorkshire
I think I'm going to start saving up for my next bike. I have a few in mind I want but I am still unsure. This time around I will get something for my exact purposes. Mainly commuting but some long touring and light adventure riding. I want to ask, what Japanese motorcycles do you guys recommend? I'll consider it if it's in the same ballpark of what I'm looking for.

Over time, my #1 consideration keeps changing.

Dougald

Yamaha Tracer, Africa Twin, Kawasaki Versys are the obvious choices for Japanese Touring and light ADV IMO

Always been partial to the Tenere and the Honda VFR CrossTourer too. You could always try a BMW GS, I know it’s not Japanese but there is a reason the things are so damn popular

OraleeWey

Yamaha Tracer, Africa Twin, Kawasaki Versys are the obvious choices for Japanese Touring and light ADV IMO

Always been partial to the Tenere and the Honda VFR CrossTourer too. You could always try a BMW GS, I know it’s not Japanese but there is a reason the things are so damn popular

You pretty much nailed exactly what I'm looking at. I consider the Super Tenere my dream bike right now but it's a little expensive for me at the moment. As for the BMW, it is a great bike but I think service maintenance and parts would destroy me. I just want cheap and reliable that Japanese motorcycles give me. I haven't considered the VFR CrossTourer. I actually didn't know about that bike, I'll do some research. The Honda Africa Twin... I'll keep my KLR650 for my dual sport needs. It has been nothing but great to me and completely capable. I couldn't be any happier. Plus, I want something different.

So far I have narrowed it down to the Versys 1000 LT (factory panniers as standard are a bonus) and the Tracer 900 which is an FJ-09 in the states. Either of those are what I'm considering at the moment and I am leaning more towards the FJ-09. You said it before, it's such a great package. We'll see... But from now until the time comes to purchase a new bike, my mind might completely change. I could get the Super Tenere but that would mean selling my KLR650 and I really, really don't want to.

Dougald

Hmm, though if you are planning on keeping the KLR, why not go for something a little less adventure-y in addition?

If you did buy a Super Tenere I'd be super envious though. It's possibly the most unpopular of the entire class in the UK, but there's just something about it I love. Not sure why I see so few of them either. I guess BMW really does have the market locked up here, I rarely see an ADV bike that's not a GS or an Africa Twin. I guess it comes down to whether you're keeping the KLR or not - it probably makes more sense to get the more road-focused Versys/Tracer if you're keeping the KLR

OraleeWey

Hmm, though if you are planning on keeping the KLR, why not go for something a little less adventure-y in addition?
Not sure how to answer that question. I just like the long travel suspension, upright seating and tall seat heights. I guess I have a strong bias towards those type of bikes.

VStrom 650 ABS is the other very reasonable price + reliability option.
I want something bigger so I'd go for a VStrom 1000 instead :)

Dougald

Looks like at least two people in the US got a trip out of the Eclipse

Not sure how to answer that question. I just like the long travel suspension, upright seating and tall seat heights. I guess I have a strong bias towards those type of bikes.

Nothing wrong with that, plenty of people end up with garages full of Harleys, or sportsbikes, or whatever. Of course with a garage of ADV bikes you'll have to do a major continent-crossing trip... or do like the bloke from Wisconsin I met on the tunnel and ship your ADV bike over to Europe

Ocho

I think I'm going to start saving up for my next bike. I have a few in mind I want but I am still unsure. This time around I will get something for my exact purposes. Mainly commuting but some long touring and light adventure riding. I want to ask, what Japanese motorcycles do you guys recommend? I'll consider it if it's in the same ballpark of what I'm looking for.

Over time, my #1 consideration keeps changing.

Might be crazy but I'm already kinda of looking into the next new bike I'd get, probably a year after riding my current Wee, and what I'm looking for fits your description exactly. Let us know what you end up getting!

Top Bottom