• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3.5 million DS's sold in Europe (13 million worldwide)

Taker666

MSN Money

BERLIN (AP) - Nintendo Co. said Thursday it has sold about 13 million of its Nintendo DS handheld game systems worldwide.

A company statement Thursday said that "approximately 13 million Nintendo DS are now in the hands of people all around the world."

It also said it has sold almost 3.5 million of the devices to European consumers since its launch on the continent in March.

Xrenity

I knew 10 million was wrong :)

3.5 in Europe is allright I guess. If they didn't fuck us up it would be higher.

13 million WW, really nice!

3.5 million for Europe means that they have exceeded their own target by half a million, really nice numbers (and it means that they have sold 1.5 million units in Europe in about one and a half months)! :D

quetz67

Banned
Frankfurter said:
13 million WW, really nice!

3.5 million for Europe means that they have exceeded their own target by half a million, really nice numbers (and it means that they have sold 1.5 million units in Europe in about one and a half months)! :D
Thank god, we got the GAF numbers confirmed by Nintendo now. Just waiting for Sony announce a similar # of PSPs sold.

Nintendo Europe's press office said a figure of 10 million that was reported Tuesday and appeared on the company's Web site was incorrect. However, a spokeswoman said she could not explain the source of that figure.

It was Perrin Kaplan...believe me.

mj1108

Taker666 said:
MSN Money

BERLIN (AP) - Nintendo Co. said Thursday it has sold about 13 million of its Nintendo DS handheld game systems worldwide.

A company statement Thursday said that "approximately 13 million Nintendo DS are now in the hands of people all around the world."

It also said it has sold almost 3.5 million of the devices to European consumers since its launch on the continent in March.

Another potshot at Sony PR. :lol

ziran

13 million worldwide is great news!

nintendogs 1.6 million
Mario Kart DS 800k
Pokemon Emerald 1.2 million

Official PR:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/press_release.php?aid=13894
Nintendo Europe Takes The New Year By Storm With Outstanding Hand-Held Success

5th January 2006

Without a doubt 2005 was the year of the handheld console. With the highly successful launch of the Nintendo DS and the continued success of Game Boy Advance SP Nintendo has dominated the handheld market. Following Nintendo DS's launch in Europe in March, almost three and a half million Nintendo DS have been sold.

Worldwide sales have shown a similar pattern with millions turning to Nintendo for their portable gaming. Approximately 13 million* Nintendo DS are now in the hands of people all around the world.

In Europe sales of Nintendo DS have been significantly bolstered by the launch of ground breaking games such as Nintendogs, which sold 1.6 million copies in Europe since launch in October and Mario Kart DS which stormed the Christmas charts with its global Wi-Fi capabilities, selling 800,000 copies in Europe since its late November launch.

Game Boy Advance has once again continued to sell well throughout the year with Pokemon continuing to go from strength to strength, sales of the latest game Pokemon Emerald reaching a staggering 1.2 million since it launched in October 2005.

European gamers have a lot to look forward to in 2006, with the launch of Prof. Kawashima's Brain Training: How old is your brain? and Animal Crossing: Wild World, both of which have been a huge success in Japan, selling over one million each, and are launching soon in Europe.

The Nintendo DS is available for around 129 Euros. Mario Kart DS and Nintendogs are now available for around 40 Euros and both games are also available in bundle packs (including a copy of the game and a Nintendo DS), available for around £99.99.

*Combined sell-thru numbers in Japan, North America, Latin America, Australia and other territories

quetz67

Banned
with millions turning to Nintendo for their portable gaming
really?

IMO most people just went from one nintendo handheld to the next. Probably more turned from Nintendo to Sony than turned from nowhere to Nintendo.

Third pillar and most DS customers being new to handheld gaming is a nice fairy tale. Just because DS now has two screens and its name doesnt contain gameboy it is still the next gameboy.

That doesnt mean there are some new customers that are introduced to the series by the DS, but the same is true for the GBA, the GB Color...

DKJB79

I have 4 of my friends that never got a portable machine and didn't think they'd buy one... and started with the DS :D
I think there are a lot of new portable customers for the DS...

ziran

quetz67 said:
really?

IMO most people just went from one nintendo handheld to the next. Probably more turned from Nintendo to Sony than turned from nowhere to Nintendo.

Third pillar and most DS customers being new to handheld gaming is a nice fairy tale. Just because DS now has two screens and its name doesnt contain gameboy it is still the next gameboy.

That doesnt mean there are some new customers that are introduced to the series by the DS, but the same is true for the GBA, the GB Color...
don't you ever get tired?

fresquito

quetz67 said:
really?

Explain the high percentage of Nintendogs owners being girls, please.

wazoo

ziran said:
13 million worldwide is great news!

nintendogs 1.6 million
Mario Kart DS 800k
Pokemon Emerald 1.2 million

3M+ Nintendogs worldwide

almost the same for Mario Kart

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
ziran said:
I hesitated to post this question :D
elostyle said:
So was the original estimate 12 million by march or not?
The original estimate was 12 million from march 2005 to march 2006. I think they already sold 5.3 million units in the 2004-2005 fiscal year.

quetz67

Banned
nine words said:
Explain the high percentage of Nintendogs owners being girls, please.
yeah, Nintendogs is something special, so what, it would have whatever the gameboy would have looked like.

Not as long as dozens of topics about the DS being a miracle pop up

SpokkX

DKJB79 said:
I have 4 of my friends that never got a portable machine and didn't think they'd buy one... and started with the DS :D

me too..

I myself being one of them..

before the DS handheld gaming did not interest me..

With the DS you suddenly can play games in a way on a handheld that are not possible on a stationary console (touch screen, dual screens) ..This is the first time in history this has happened. With PSP/GBA it feels like I am just playing a downgraded version of stationary console-games.

Oh.. and no load-times help also :)

fresquito

quetz67 said:
yeah, Nintendogs is something special, so what, it would have whatever the gameboy would have looked like.
Case being it never was released in GBA, so at least 1 million of those are new to portable gaming. I don´t think Brain Training games are being bough by regular gamers. So, yes, you could say much of those are new adopters. So... yeah, tell whatever you want, the truth is DS is opening the market and not just feeding on old adopters of previous Nintendo handheld consoles.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
quetz67 said:
really?

except that you fail to mention that in the US people are still buying GBA's like the DS doesn't exist, and in Japan the thing is seriously outselling any numbers the GBA (or any other console for that fact) have ever put up. The point to this being a) in America the DS is selling alongside the GBA, meaning third pillar is true OR different people are picking up each system and b) in japan MORE people are buying DS than ever bought GBA (at least at a faster adoption rate). So if it ends up outdoing GA lifetime in Japan, then you would be wrong on both counts really.

Failed Sony defence indeed.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
sonycowboy said:
I am glad these numbers came out as well. The non-stop escalating DS installed base numbers were getting a bit ridiculous. Every week they were going up by a million or so.

sonycowboy said:
Yes.

They aren't "tied", but they are quite close and not at all anywhere close to the 1-2M Europe-wide difference that some were guestimating.
3.5 Million in Europe and an installed base of 13 million units.
WoooOOOooow

Naysayers am cry. :D

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
ziran said:
i'd say nintendogs is over 4 million worldwide:
japan ~1 million
na ~1.5 million
eu ~1.6 million
As I said before it took Halo something like 3 years to surpass the 4 million mark and Nintendogs did it in a few months

jarrod

Banned
quetz67 said:
Thank god, we got the GAF numbers confirmed by Nintendo now. Just waiting for Sony announce a similar # of PSPs sold.
You'll probably be waiting until spring/summer then. :p

quetz67 said:
It was Perrin Kaplan...believe me.
It was? Definitely? So you can prove it? :)

quetz67

Banned
jarrod said:
You'll probably be waiting until spring/summer then. :p
Sony counting shipped numbers differently or not, come february and the offical Q4 announcements I bet Sony and Nintendo will both announce about 13 million shipped (+/- 0.5 million).

There might still be a good difference in sold through, because Nintendo wasnt able to resupply after christmas and so sold through is close to shippped for them. Sony on the other hand might just have a million resupplied to every region until 12/31.

jarrod said:
It was? Definitely? So you can prove it?
I could if I recorded the phone call from Perrin, but she said I must not.

jarrod

Banned
quetz67 said:
Sony counting shipped numbers differently or not, come february and the offical Q4 announcements I bet Sony and Nintendo will both announce about 13 million shipped (+/- 0.5 million)
But Nintendo already announced 13+ million sold through. That means they've likely shipped 14-16 million.

Man, even Sony's (over)shipment figures are going to start trailing Nintendo's "in consumers hands" figures soon... what's Phil gonna do then? :)

quetz67 said:
I could if I recorded the phone call from Perrin, but she said I must not.
Heh. :p

marc^o^

quetz67 said:
Sony counting shipped numbers differently or not, come february and the offical Q4 announcements I bet Sony and Nintendo will both announce about 13 million shipped (+/- 0.5 million).
Do you mean for the fiscal year only? Because Nintendo will have shipped 18 million units overall if you count the 2004-2005 fiscal year figure.

quetz67

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Do you mean for the fiscal year only? Because Nintendo will have shipped 18 million units overall if you count the 2004-2005 fiscal year figure.
I am talking about total from Q4/2004 - Q4/2005 (not fiscal years). The numbers they will announce as total in their early february report.

As far as I know FY 2005 already ended 03/31/2004, that sure werent 18 million. If they'll ship another 5 million til end of FY 2006 is doubtful as they need to produce them and sell them in a slow season.

fresquito

So what´s the point? Sony will say they´ve sold similar numbers to Nintendo? Sony can say whatever they want to. Truth is DS is ahead by a good margin. So, what´s your point?

marc^o^

quetz67 said:
As far as I know FY 2005 already ended 03/31/2004, that sure werent 18 million. If they'll ship another 5 million til end of FY 2006 is doubtful as they need to produce them and sell them in a slow season.
Fiscal year ends March, 31st.

quetz67

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Fiscal year ends March, 31st.
I thought thats what I wrote, I still dont know until when you expect Nintendo to ship 18 million.

So what´s the point? Sony will say they´ve sold similar numbers to Nintendo? Sony can say whatever they want to. Truth is DS is ahead by a good margin. So, what´s your point?
My point is a bet with Jarrod both will announce about the same. And I wrote that DS sold through numbers are probably higher. Whats YOUR point? Oh, you wanted to say once again that the DS killed the PSP, although everyone expected the PSP to kill the DS. Thanks for that. Actually I was under the impression DS isnt doing very well after all the topics about bad DS sales lately.

I need to know which mod made that tag. He's a genious!
I cant see why anyone believes I am defending Sony, I am usually 'defending' Nintendo because they got some bad press in the last years. I dont think Sony needs to be defended because they are perfectly fine.

3.5 million in Europe is amazing.
Stunning, brilliant, the best! :)

DS is selling like hotcakes even though Nintendo sucks at marketing.
13 million world-wide isn't bad either.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
quetz67 said:
I cant see why anyone believes I am defending Sony, I am usually 'defending' Nintendo because they got some bad press in the last years. I dont think Sony needs to be defended because they are perfectly fine.
Ok now, this is a joke account, right?

jarrod

Banned
quetz67 said:
My point is a bet with Jarrod both will announce about the same.
Certainly possible, Sony has been overshipping to do just that until now. But at some point, you can't overship when machines are still sitting on shelves. Retail orders are going to cool sooner or later, and soon even PSP shipment figures won't be able to match DS sellthrough.

donny2112

GamesIndustryBiz said:
Approximately 13 million* Nintendo DS are now in the hands of people all around the world.
*Combined sell-thru numbers in Japan, North America, Latin America, Australia and other territories

5.26 million - Japan (minus Dec 25-Jan 1) Media Create
2.75 million - U.S. (minus Dec) NPD
+3.5 million - Europe (includes Australia?) NOE
____
11.51 million

Assume 200K for last week of 2005 in Japan (massive shortages)
Assume 750K for December 2005 in U.S. (December is usually 1.75-2x November)

=> Approximately 12.4-12.5 million in those three territories => ~ 600K for the rest of the world?

Why couldn't GamesIndustry.biz give a decimal point value? :p

jarrod

Banned
donny2112 said:
5.26 million - Japan (minus Dec 25-Jan 1) Media Create
2.75 million - U.S. (minus Dec) NPD
+3.5 million - Europe (includes Australia?) NOE
____
11.51 million

Assume 200K for last week of 2005 in Japan (massive shortages)
Assume 750K for December 2005 in U.S. (December is usually 1.75-2x November)

=> Approximately 12.4-12.5 million in those three territories => ~ 600K for the rest of the world?

Why couldn't GamesIndustry.biz give a decimal point value? :p
With Candian figures, DS was at approx 3 million for November in NA. Nintendo's stated "sell through" of over 4 million by year's end, meaning likely around 1-1.2 million for December...

JP 5.5 million
NA 4.2 million
EU 3.5 million

...you can probably add in another 500-600k for Asia Pacific (China, AU/NZ, Korea, etc), meaning DS is likely closer to 14 million than not.

Xiaoki

Didn't Nintendo announce a couple weeks ago that the DS had sold 2 million in Europe?

So, the DS has sold 1.5 million in less than a month in Europe?

quetz67

Banned
olimario said:
Quetz-
How does it make you FEEL that the Nintendo DS is the fasted to 5 million in Japan... ever...
eh, what should I feel about that? The gameboy series is successful for about 20 years and the DS continues that, it is fine, but nothing special

I think there really is something strange going on here:

I am quetz67 for years, now, first on the IGN boards then here. On IGN I was know as a Nintendo fanboy and bashed on the xbox boards. I never even posted on the PS2 boards because I never cared for Sony consoles.

I onwned a SNES, an N64, a GC and will buy a Rev at launch.

I have a PSP and will get a PS3 because I am a graphics whore and cant go back to DS graphics and hope the PS3 will replace my PC for graphics. I will still play lot of my favorite Nintendo series on Rev, with MP being my favorite game of all time. The PSP is 1.5 and mostly media player (and Nintendo emulator) right now, because Sony wont let me play their latest games on the machine.

I think the DS sells great as I had expected it to do, I think the PSP is a success too, I expected it to do less at the price. I know the DS sells more than the PSP right now, but neither did I expect the PSP to kill the DS nor DS killing PSP in the future.

For the last years I kept posting against whatever Nintendo is doomed or Ninendo will go third party posts, because thats stupid. Nintendo is doing fine and could continue to release N64/GC sales level consoles forever, even without 3rd party support - simply because any of those consoles still gives them at least $3 million profits.

I expect the Rev to sell better because it is unique. I dont expect it to come close to PS3 sales and Nintendo regaining their former position in the home console market soon. Neither do I expect Sony to take the handheld market in the near future. In both markets things might change with Nintendo being more successful in the home console sector and Sony in the handheld sector. if so, both will take time.

The Nintendo DS selling great right now is fine, but it is well in the history of the former gameboy machines. I dont think it means much for the Revolution, that machine has to fight on its own. The GBA and especially GBA SP were applauded as much as the Ds right now (or close to that) but didnt help the GC at all.

I dont know why I am seen as a Sony fanboy only because I try to get some sense and proportions (200M GB in 20 years, 10M DS in 1 year) into the DS hysteria. I am not defending Sony at all. I think Sony could do much better with the PSP if they get more AAA first and second party titles out and concentrate less on releasing firmware version after firmware version. Especially with that in mind I am pretty surprised the PSP is doing quite well (and that is probably more as a media player - that is not competing with Nintendo - than as a game machine...compare game UMD and movie UMD sales)

olimario

Banned
quetz67 said:
eh, what should I feel about that? The gameboy series is successful for about 20 years and the DS continues that, it is fine, but nothing special

It's nothing special that it's easily the fastest to 5 million?
What is special to you?

NWO

ziran said:

Why should he when people still pay attention to him? Its a thread about Nintendo selling X amount in Europe and the attention whore has already turned the thread into a debate about what he feels is successful for Nintendo. Just ignore him people and he will eventually go away.

Top Bottom