• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Big Thank You.

Melon

Banned
Hello GAF! This post may seem silly and pointless, but I still feel the need to make it. Anyway, let's just get to the unbearable sappiness, shall we? I was very nervous and skeptical when I first joined because of all the 'horror stories' I had heard; but I'm admittedly a curious person and decided to give it a shot regardless. Best decision I've made in quite a long time. Perhaps it's because I joined after majority of the bad people left, but honestly, I don't really care about the past. The present GAF is fucking amazing, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Sure, we still have some shitheads like Papa Papa (lol just kidding bud, you rock) who do make things difficult at times, but I still thoroughly enjoy the fun discussions and debates that unfold here. I haven't felt this welcome on a forum in ages. I feel like my opinions and ideals are appreciated, or at the very least, acknowledged. Which is a lot more than some other sites can say. I like being able to have friendly banter with people without being labeled a cunt by ignorant and easily-offended people -- it's a nice change of pace for sure. I've made some pretty good friends through here as well, which is certainly a plus.

And I suppose it's kind of lame to say, but you guys have definitely helped me through some tough times, whether you know it or not. Which means a whole lot to me. So yeah, thank you GAF for what you've done for me and other people. You guys as a whole kick some serious ass, and I'm grateful I met you all.

Okay I'm done being sappy now I PROMISE. (And no I'm not drunk this time okay.)

Agreed, I used to lurk on old gaf and recently the other site and the insanity that takes place there absolutely turned me off from even signing up for an account, never mind posting anything. The moderation on new gafs amazing and it's good to see multiple view points respected while still weeding out anything that unproductive or inappropriate.

giphy.gif

I appreciate the really solid people on here who have tolerated my weirdness and not held my soyboy tendencies against me.

ROMhack

You're trying to steal my wallet aren't you...

More seriously, I agree. Lovely people here.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Yeah the new NeoGAF is a place with good discussions and where debate is possible and most of the time (you know, when they don't want my family slaughtered like cattle), I have respect for people with opposing views and I believe their ideas come from good intentions.

Kamina

Golden Boy
No, thank you!
This is the first long OP i read in its entirety without needing a tl;dr.

Edit: this thread is something Evilore should see btw, as it will surely make him happy...
EviLore EviLore , I summon ye here, appeareth before us!
Edit2: Oh you already saw it :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

Traianvs

Agree 100%
Neo Neogaf is an amazing place where you can have constructive discussions and compare your ideas with different people without the fear of being banned just for not following an echo chamber.
This is what I love of this forum in his current incarnation. You can find good people, shitheads, guys from every political spectrum, race an gender and noone is spitting on you just because you don't think, act and speak like an orwellian dictator.
I hope I won't get banned for saying this but sometimes I'm glad that evilore entered in that shower :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Shifty

Man, I remember the uncertain times during the meltdown and thinking "where can I find an apolitical gaming forum?"

And then GAF turned around and became it. Amazing. Really happy that things turned out this way.

(And no I'm not drunk this time okay.)
Quality Discord Jokes :messenger_grinning_smiling::messenger_ok:

:messenger_beermugs:

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Nice post and thread. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Remember the community is only as good as its members make it out to be, so post and make threads. More content and activity the better.

Now that the "agree with me or be banned" attitude's all moved out of here, I think it's safe to say GAF's a lot better than it used to be.

That attitude, and not having an ISP/work/school email to register with prevented me from registering at that point.

Dunki

. I haven't felt this welcome on a forum in ages. I feel like my opinions and ideals are appreciated, or at the very least, acknowledged. Which is a lot more than some other sites can say. I like being able to have friendly banter with people without being labeled a cunt by ignorant and easily-offended people -- it's a nice change of pace for sure. I've made some pretty good friends through here as well, which is certainly a plus.
I think this is the main part while I love it here. You have many different views views you agree and also disagree with and while discussions can get heated there is still some respect here. If you do not fear opinions that are different from yours I think the new GAF is a great place to be.

Hope you have fun in the future as well.

Papa

Banned
Agree 100%
Neo Neogaf is an amazing place where you can have constructive discussions and compare your ideas with different people without the fear of being banned just for not following an echo chamber.
This is what I love of this forum in his current incarnation. You can find good people, shitheads, guys from every political spectrum, race an gender and noone is spitting on you just because you don't think, act and speak like an orwellian dictator.
I hope I won't get banned for saying this but sometimes I'm glad that evilore entered in that shower :messenger_grinning_sweat:

😂😂😂

Surely even EL himself can have a chuckle at this one you cheeky bugger

brap

Banned
No problem m'lady. If anybody acts bigotedly towards you I will be the first in line to shut their yaps. *bows whilst tipping fedora*

It's so damn refreshing to have at least one place on the internet left where people can speak openly without fear of bans or spazs being totally unable to handle a difference of opinion.

Outside of places like ResetERA where only one opinion is allowed, I've also been to places around the net where you simply get very viciously attacked if you don't tow the line, ain't nobody got time for that.

I just find it too hard to remember so many pronouns, to people. I can barely remember names, but have a keen eye for faces so it’s always “Heeeyyyy you,” until they guide me to what they what they wish to be addressed as.

Until then I’m as ambiguous as can be.

I don’t want to start a fight because I used the wrong pronoun that day.

I just want to talk to talk to people, who act like people, and don’t care about that other nonsense.

On another gaming forum (that shall go unnamed) a guy I communicated with for years fucked off never to be seen again over literally a difference of opinion over Sony's censorship polices.

It's a mental illness some people have acquired in recent years where they literally can't handle a different opinion, they want to be wrapped up cocoon like in an echo chamber.

Back in my day the internet was all about people with different views and opinions debating and discussing things, not creepy cult like echo chambers.

CyberPanda

Banned
On another gaming forum (that shall go unnamed) a guy I communicated with for years fucked off never to be seen again over literally a difference of opinion over Sony's censorship polices.

It's a mental illness some people have acquired in recent years where they literally can't handle a different opinion, they want to be wrapped up cocoon like in an echo chamber.

Back in my day the internet was all about people with different views and opinions debating and discussing things, not creepy cult like echo chambers.
Now the internet is turning into a safe space.🤦‍♂️

Kagey K

Banned

See that’s how I remember it. Back in the day when IRC was first a thing, it gave us a chance to make the world smaller.

We could communicate in 1:1 with people in Russia, or Germany or Australia. It was going to be the great understanding about how even though we are all in different places globally, we all want the same things.

Security, peace, happiness.

Then the real internet showed up, and showed us all the really ugly side of humans.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Instead of the internet being your social circle writ large - with connections to people you were comfortable and happy chatting with - it has become like life. Forced interactions with people you'd sometimes prefer to just avoid.

Papa

Banned

It’s not always mental illness. More often than not it’s narcissism relating to fragile parenting methods.

It’s not always mental illness. More often than not it’s narcissism relating to fragile parenting methods.

That's true, but narcissism beyond the point of any logic or reason could be considered a form of mental illness.

Months later (it happened in October to be exact) and I still look back and laugh about that interaction because it was just such the absolute state of SJWs and their tactics.

First he used the tactic of "you shouldn't even have an opinion in the first place because you're not female" and then when that tactic didn't work he called me a misogynist, because when in doubt, use guilt tripping and ad hominem attacks!

And when that didn't he work he rage quit a forum he had been a member of for over a decade, all because he couldn't handle a difference of opinion, incredible.

And the really funny thing is, we're not talking a millennial here, the dude was 40, ten years my elder and yet he's the one who acted like an immature twat, proving this isn't really a generational thing so much as it's simply a mindset that has taken hold of various people in recent years.

And that's the way it goes on most of the interwebs these days, if you're not outright banned for having the wrong opinions people will call you vicious names making the entire thing far too unpleasant to deal with, thank goodness for NeoGAF.

Last edited:

Chittagong

I feel you man, the main difference of GAF now is positivity and articulate discussion.

I returned to GAF in October 2018 after the realisation that I used to browse boards to relax, not to get agitated and angry all the time. Maybe it’s the fact that I will be 40 this year, but I don’t have the energy to rage on my free time anymore. I don’t believe that the wrongs of the world will be fixed on message boards. And I want to be able to post without spending time thinking whether I offend someone or break some rule I hadn’t known about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom