• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

I've just completed Halo Infinite and the campaign was absolutely brilliant, minus the open world elements. Did not care for that at the slightest and it felt tacked on in the same way Ubisoft games artificially add pointless shit for the sake of it. Final boss battle was really shit though. Felt unfair with waves of enemies and her tracking balls that follow you.

I take it the planned 'Endless' DLC is canned?

I'm also curious why they've switched from their current engine to Unreal Engine. Halo Infinite actually looks pretty sharp. The graphical effects are really good. The art style is also beautiful. I was so impressed at how pretty everything looked.

K6PUOoV.png
I don't believe it had to do with the capabilities of the engine. From everything that we have heard it sounds more like it was just a highly difficult engine to work with, to the point that every aspect of development was taking exponentially too long.

EDIT: Are they still planning to release DLC? I thought it was all scrapped lol.

Last edited:
I've just completed Halo Infinite and the campaign was absolutely brilliant, minus the open world elements. Did not care for that at the slightest and it felt tacked on in the same way Ubisoft games artificially add pointless shit for the sake of it. Final boss battle was really shit though. Felt unfair with waves of enemies and her tracking balls that follow you.

I take it the planned 'Endless' DLC is canned?

I'm also curious why they've switched from their current engine to Unreal Engine. Halo Infinite actually looks pretty sharp. The graphical effects are really good. The art style is also beautiful. I was so impressed at how pretty everything looked.

K6PUOoV.png

The campaign was fun for the first third/half and then got repetitive and boring. The speeches, oh the speeches. I hated the story of Infinite, another reset and non-delivery. Please just forget the Banished already. Atriox is awesome, what's his face from Infinite was whatever.

The graphics at demo AND launch were nowhere near the current state. I went back end of last year with a buddy to play coop and the love plus detail that has been put into Infinite's campaign is striking between my launch solo playthrough and coop about 3 months ago. How 343 haven't put out marketing, ViDoc, social media, Waypoint articles etc or even a before and after type presentation is beyond me. It's night and day, seriously.

Another aspect of a huge enjoyment with our coop, me and one buddy, was the sheer fun of the outdoor open world stuff. We were loading up hogs and weird marine weapons while one of us went on foot and long ranged the big enemies and the motorised UNSC death hog cleaned house. By corridor 3 of the "story/missions" were just blasted through those, the setups in the big rooms, mini bosses and waves of enemies were awesome and really sing like Halo 2. Some of the fixed tunnels to get there fall well short of say CE experiences like the two bridges and tunnels etc.

I don't believe it had to do with the capabilities of the engine. From everything that we have heard it sounds more like it was just a highly difficult engine to work with, to the point that every aspect of development was taking exponentially too long.

EDIT: Are they still planning to release DLC? I thought it was all scrapped lol.

Armchair opinion inbound - there is no way SlipSpace was built from the ground up as a new engine, it's just engine modules being refactored mostly from what I can tell. I know engines/frameworks etc all have things to keep and retain that "Halo look and feel" but this SlipSpace was one of the worst things MS/Xbox allowed 343 to attempt, especially after MCC. Had Infinite started with Unreal 6+ years ago imagine where the show and game would be now. Mandalorian levels would not be out of the question for the show. Hogwarts IQ, world building and attention to detail would not be out of the question. Shame.

Campaign DLC has been cut, no go captain. The next Halo absolutely, categorically must have PvE. You want big numbers, GaaS, Azure backend....Cortana replies with 3 letters on repeat...PvE.

Last edited:
Armchair opinion inbound - there is no way SlipSpace was built from the ground up as a new engine, it's just engine modules being refactored mostly from what I can tell. I know engines/frameworks etc all have things to keep and retain that "Halo look and feel" but this SlipSpace was one of the worst things MS/Xbox allowed 343 to attempt, especially after MCC. Had Infinite started with Unreal 6+ years ago imagine where the show and game would be now. Mandalorian levels would not be out of the question for the show. Hogwarts IQ, world building and attention to detail would not be out of the question. Shame.

Campaign DLC has been cut, no go captain. The next Halo absolutely, categorically must have PvE. You want big numbers, GaaS, Azure backend....Cortana replies with 3 letters on repeat...PvE.
I agree with you 100%. I can't even imagine where Halo would be right now if 343 had just gone with Unreal from the start of Infinite's development. It's depressing to even think about what could have been.

But wait, there's more! lol. So one of the leaked maps, while it isn't covenant, at least it has purple in it. I like the look.

Uhhh... they removed the video. So, I'll post another one!

Last edited:
Dang I keep waiting for Ozzy to come back from his ban. I'd be surprised if it was a permaban but I don't think there is any way to know.
Sad Arrested Development GIF

Mint Blitz occasionally puts out a vid focusing on the negatives of Halo Infinite. Theater. That it hasn't been fixed yet is just sad.

Naked Lunch

New update is pretty cool. Lots of polish. From the menus to the post game screens - loading screens - just all around. Should have been there from the beginning but what you gonna do.

Im not sure why or how - but the whole gameplay feels slightly different. Maybe they adjusted hit detection a bit. Things definately have a different feel. I havent read into the patch notes at all yet.

The cliffside snow map is great.
Kinda hate the forerunner narrow hallway map. Plays so weird not very Halo-like but variety is good and I bet there are fans of it out there.
November's 2 forge maps are still the best in the game.
Didnt play the new BTB map yet.
DMR is gonna take some getting used to - has potential.
Not sure what kinda loadout one slayer variant was, but you started with an AR and the BR was secondary - that was strange.

They changed 2 of the armor colors I paid real money for which is shady as hell. (Red Scarlet for Mark V and VII).

It seems the performance of adjusting your armor sets has dropped - seems choppy and laggy. Im guessing this is Ray tracing activated. If this is what ray tracing is I dont like it - looks cheap and crap too - like everyone has 3 point lighting facing perfectly at them. Another gaming buzz word that amounts to pointless nothing.

Next step is to put way way more forge maps in playlists and I want to see a CTF only playlist.

Dang I keep waiting for Ozzy to come back from his ban. I'd be surprised if it was a permaban but I don't think there is any way to know.
Sad Arrested Development GIF
Theres a 'bans' tab at the bottom of this forum - which give you the details on people's bans.

Last edited:
New update is pretty cool. Lots of polish. From the menus to the post game screens - loading screens - just all around. Should have been there from the beginning but what you gonna do.

Im not sure why or how - but the whole gameplay feels slightly different. Maybe they adjusted hit detection a bit. Things definately have a different feel. I havent read into the patch notes at all yet.

The cliffside snow map is great.
Kinda hate the forerunner narrow hallway map. Plays so weird not very Halo-like but variety is good and I bet there are fans of it out there.
November's 2 forge maps are still the best in the game.
Didnt play the new BTB map yet.
DMR is gonna take some getting used to - has potential.
Not sure what kinda loadout one slayer variant was, but you started with an AR and the BR was secondary - that was strange.

They changed 2 of the armor colors I paid real money for which is shady as hell. (Red Scarlet for Mark V and VII).

It seems the performance of adjusting your armor sets has dropped - seems choppy and laggy. Im guessing this is Ray tracing activated. If this is what ray tracing is I dont like it - looks cheap and crap too - like everyone has 3 point lighting facing perfectly at them. Another gaming buzz word that amounts to pointless nothing.

Next step is to put way way more forge maps in playlists and I want to see a CTF only playlist.

Theres a 'bans' tab at the bottom of this forum - which give you the details on people's bans.
It's great hearing your thoughts on the update! 343 needs to keep pumping more maps (forge/dev-made/either one) into the game. I think it could make a bit of revival if they are regularly implemented.

Also, how did I not know about the ban's tab!? Thanks for letting me know lol. March 14th!

Come on back Ozzy! He was fighting against the anti-Xbox crowd pretty hard there for a little while. Probably had something to do with that.
No doubt.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Im wondering if the new update put in some kind of memory leak - maybe with displaying different armor sets?
I was playing for a while yesterday then the game kinda froze up in BTB for a few seconds. Ever since that happened - everytime I got near other players - they were glitching all over the place in every match. I did a reboot of my game and console and it went away. I was reading similar stuff on reddit.

Top Bottom