• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

mandiller

About time we had a thread like this. Nice job on the OP!

I've had my Kindle about a week now and I'm loving it. Just finished my first book on it and I'm starting another one. The screen and build quality is lovely. This is my first foray into ebooks and I'm liking it so far. The Kindle even works fine on 3G here in Australia which makes it great for browsing neogaf/emails/twitter while out and about.

I do have one slight problem with it though if anyone has some insight. My Kindle connects to 3G fine but it has trouble picking up my wifi at home. My wifi network only shows up in the list of available wifi networks and connects about 25% of the time. Most of the time the Kindle can't find it. Every other wifi device in the house has no problems. It's fine once it's connected, but most of the time it won't even detect it. Any ideas on what's wrong?

99hertz

99hertz said:
Azar said:
I've had poor results converting a few PDFs to books with Calibre. I wouldn't count on that as being a reliable way to read textbooks. But you can go ahead and do it and use Calibre's preview function to see if they'll come out okay.

So what the Kindle displays is exactly the same as the output from Calibre? (Excuse me if it's a stupid question.)

Asked this on another thread. Basically, if I use the preview thing on Calibre, I will see exactly what the Kindle will show?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
AstroLad said:
Yes, it's even easier than ever before to develop a reading backlog.

How do you guys organize your books? I use folders based on topics: Tech, IP, Pop Culture, Games, Bio, Reference, Sports, Politics, Fiction. Captures most of it. Currently Reading folder too to have quick access to those.

So far I've just been organizing them by series. So A Song of Ice & Fire, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Hyperion and so forth. Single books I still have loose. I only have say a dozen books or so on it so far so that might change as I go forward.

I *love* the kindle though, I live in a *very* small apartment and had to toss most of my library when I moved here years ago due to space limitations and I haven't added to it since. Reading again is like reuniting with a long lost friend.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
99hertz said:
Asked this on another thread. Basically, if I use the preview thing on Calibre, I will see exactly what the Kindle will show?
i've converted 2 pdfs and its a bit more tricky then other ebook formats .
You really do need to use the search and replace expressions to get it to convert properly.

Oh and besides jaggies i find the Calibre viewer to be pretty dead on accurate as to what you'll see on your kindle

If you like reading comics on a kindle, is there any good file format for managing space? 3 GB isn't really enough for all these CBZ files.

99hertz

bloodydrake said:
i've converted 2 pdfs and its a bit more tricky then other ebook formats .
You really do need to use the search and replace expressions to get it to convert properly.

Oh and besides jaggies i find the Calibre viewer to be pretty dead on accurate as to what you'll see on your kindle

Ok, thanks a lot man, I will be spending some hours converting PDFs.

Gruco

Banned
Does anyone subscribe to any of the newspapers or magazines? I've been thinking about it since it's cheaper and easier than physically getting them, but it seems like the kindle versions may not always complete.

Socreges said:
Holy.

Just got my Kindle two days ago. Loving it so far, though still getting acquainted*. This thread will be an amazing resource for me. So thank you very much for compiling this info.

*One thing I've been wrestling with is how to best get full-text journal articles from databases that I've got access to (thanks, uni).... to my Kindle. One method I just tried was clumsily saving HTML documents and e-mailing them to my Kindle to be converted. Somehow I think there's got to be a more efficient way.

Again, thank you. Looking forward to scanning the OT more closely.

If you open the documents in chrome you can install this extension:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ipkfnchcgalnafehpglfbommidgmalan#<br />

After you set it up, it's one button press to send it to your kindle. I just tried it with a full text article and it converted it from a .htm to an .azw file automatically.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gruco said:
Does anyone subscribe to any of the newspapers or magazines? I've been thinking about it since it's cheaper and easier than physically getting them, but it seems like the kindle versions may not always complete.
Yeah I looked at them too and they all seem to have really bad reviews so I've passed so far.

UltimaKilo

Gruco said:

I have a subscription to the Wall Street Journal and I've had it for a few months now. It's fantastic not having to lug around a paper and get my hands all dirty every morning. I also get the Miami Herald from Calibre, but the free edition.

The Kindle versions are complete. I've held them side by side and never has anyone asked "hey did you see that piece in the Journal today?" and I not know what article they're talking about.

There are free versions of papers that aren't complete but all paid subscriptions are.

Chichikov

HiroProtagonist said:
If you open the documents in chrome you can install this extension:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ipkfnchcgalnafehpglfbommidgmalan#<br />

After you set it up, it's one button press to send it to your kindle. I just tried it with a full text article and it converted it from a .htm to an .azw file automatically.
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
I was in the process of developing one for myself.
Fuck coding in javascript, this is exactly what I was looking for (and then some).

Vyer

I really wish there were price categories on the Kindle store like there is on Amazon's mp3 store. Just sorting 'low to high' in the categories is useless.

Kraut

Question about the store: can I buy a 'Canadian' Kindle and buy books from the US store? I've heard a lot of complaints about the selection disparity between the two, and it's the only reason I haven't jumped on the e-book bandwagon yet.

UltimaKilo

Kraut said:
Question about the store: can I buy a 'Canadian' Kindle and buy books from the US store? I've heard a lot of complaints about the selection disparity between the two, and it's the only reason I haven't jumped on the e-book bandwagon yet.

I've heard that, but I've also heard it has gotten-and is progressively getting better. Unfortunately, the only way to purchase books from the U.S. Amazon bookstore is with an American credit card and vice-versa. The same goes with the U.K. bookstore, I believe.

What you could do is buy a US Kindle gift card, which should work.

DiscoJer

While I don't think much of games on a Kindle, the two Fighting Fantasy titles are very well done. And sort of the exception, since they really are books to begin with...

Weenerz

Banned
How do converted epubs look on the kindle? Like formatting and stuff? Can someone take a picture of their kindle with a converted epub on the screen? Buying a kindle tomorrow and I am just curious.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Weenerz said:
How do converted epubs look on the kindle? Like formatting and stuff? Can someone take a picture of their kindle with a converted epub on the screen? Buying a kindle tomorrow and I am just curious.

Can't take a picture, but generally epub converts great! I've only had one or two books that had problems converting. There usually isn't any or much difference between the original and the conversion (unlike PDF... just turns into gobbledegook.)

Weenerz

Banned
Lissar said:
Can't take a picture, but generally epub converts great! I've only had one or two books that had problems converting. There usually isn't any or much difference between the original and the conversion (unlike PDF... just turns into gobbledegook.)

So don't use Calibre to convert to PDF? Should I make them mobi?

UltimaKilo

Weenerz said:

https://www.me.com/gallery/#100009/IMG_0700

https://www.me.com/gallery/#100009/IMG_0701

Weenerz said:

Yes, you use Calibre. There are no problems. If it's a book in PDF format make sure to fetch the Metadata on Calibre. Right-click book<edit Metadata<Download Metadata and Covers.

3N16MA

Banned
Another question. I'm assuming that most of you are avid readers. Do you miss not having a physical collection of books? Having a bookcase filled with your favorites?

cvxfreak

Have had one since 2009 (2nd gen). Was a very valuable asset in graduate school. Hardly have the time to use it now, but I know it's there if I ever need it. :)

Evlar

Banned
3N16MA said:
Another question. I'm assuming that most of you are avid readers. Do you miss not having a physical collection of books? Having a bookcase filled with your favorites?
I still have my physical collection. I'm not quite certain where I'm going with that. I still buy bound books because I still come across material that I want that isn't offered in Kindle format. And I still intend to buy bound copies of books that I really, really want to have available under all conceivable circumstances: If the bombs fall and the zombie apocalypse strikes, months after the power fails and my Kindle battery finally gives out, I'm still going to have my copy of A Wizard of Earthsea by God.

hEist

no mention of instapaper guys?
serisously?

love to send any internet articles to my kindle with it :)
instapaper.com

Great thread, super informative. Gonna mess with changing the margins soon.

Bought my Kindle last September instead of buying textbooks, saved me loads of cash. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to use it for leisure reading, but that's going to change this summer. :)

Messing around with Calibre now.. is there anyway to have an article from a news feed that's sent to my Kindle through Calibre to automatically be put in a collection? Cause I love the idea, but they're really cluttering up my list of books..

hEist

ah completty forgot to mention http://www.kindlefeeder.com/ in the post before, if people dont want to use instapaper.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Weenerz said:
you want to use calibre for conversion in general.
however youwant to convert pretty much all formats to mobi or azw for the kindle

Manics

Banned
bloodydrake said:
you want to use calibre for conversion in general.
however youwant to convert pretty much all formats to mobi or azw for the kindle

Calibre is generally good, however i've seen it screw up some ePub to mobi conversions in the past. Maybe it's the settings I have to alter, but I just normally leave them at the defaults. I find using KindleGen that Amazon provides is pretty good. It's a command line kindle book creator but it seems to work better than Calibre in some instances.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000234621

Be warned though that kindle gen keeps the source code inside the compiled .mobi file now for some unknown reason. That means the filesize is double what it should be. Some smart guy has written a Python script to strip out the source and only leaves the book. There's a thread here on the python script:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96903

So if you use KindleGen the steps are:
1) KindleGen ePub to mobi
2) Kindlestrip.py mobi file

That's if you care about the filesize, step 2 isn't necessary but makes the files generated from kindlegen smaller.

Anyone curious about Send to Kindle for Chrome, here is how the article I sent turned out:

It took this:
The Epic Saga of The Well

And made this:

mOuo9.png

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Nymerio said:
I've been thinking of getting one. The thing is though, I really like books. I like having shelves full of books, and I have a lot of books standing around that I haven't gotten to read yet. I'd be all over this thing if I could get the paper book AND the ebook together for a resonable price, but I'm really opposed to buying stuff twice just so I have a digital version of it :/
so many times i've heard this, soo many times I've hear 'I like my kindle better than real books' after purchase.

Kindle > actual books. Best electronic device I ever bought, even though my ipad is nice.

Kosmo

Banned
HiroProtagonist said:
Anyone curious about Send to Kindle for Chrome, here is how the article I sent turned out:

It took this:
The Epic Saga of The Well

I haven't tried it, but I like Instapaper's implementation because is aggregates several articles into one file with a nice little menu.

Kindle > actual books. Best electronic device I ever bought, even though my ipad is nice.

I'm 50/50 on this. While I do like reading on my Kindle, maybe it's that I have kids and like the idea of them being able to go to a shelf full of books to flip through and maybe see something that will spark their interest. I don't see that happening with a Kindle, but who knows.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Weenerz said:
I need a great case for my kindle, recommendations? Guy a work has the Amazon case, but it's $60 wtf.
My oberon design cover came in and I love it. Everyone that's seen/held it thinks its fantastic if you like Old fashion handmade leather goods. However its 70bucks.
Oberon Design Kindle 3 Covers

Only the official amazon one uses the hinge system,if that's important to you.
M-edge seems to make some good cheaper ones.

peppermints said:
Bought my Kindle last September instead of buying textbooks, saved me loads of cash. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to use it for leisure reading, but that's going to change this summer. :).

How is the Kindle for textbooks? I'm considering buying one when I head back to college.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Jhriad said:
Good God I'm in love. Those are gorgeous.
heres one i got
9386.jpg

I removed the stiffening board inserts I felt they added bulk and weight that wasn't needed.
But man it feels good in the hand adds some weight but it feels like a hand bound leather book.
And it SMELLS like good leather,not the chemicals of the cheaper pleather covers.

bengraven

I'm still upset that everyone basically ignores the K2 these days. There are still millions of them out there, why can't we get Oberon covers?

Also, whomever linked Send To Kindle, you are a A+ in my book.

Evlar

Banned
Jhriad said:
Good God I'm in love. Those are gorgeous.
Yeah, but a little impractical to my eye... I'd want to be able to bend the cover all the way back to make it as easy as possible to hold in one hand. Those covers look like they would be difficult to double over without creasing the art.

They are certainly beautiful.

Kosmo said:
I haven't tried it, but I like Instapaper's implementation because is aggregates several articles into one file with a nice little menu.

I'm 50/50 on this. While I do like reading on my Kindle, maybe it's that I have kids and like the idea of them being able to go to a shelf full of books to flip through and maybe see something that will spark their interest. I don't see that happening with a Kindle, but who knows.

Instapaper sounds perfect for web research. That would have been extremely helpful with the countless research papers I've been forced to create. I just set my account up, and set it to deliver daily. Do you know what time of day? Midnight maybe? I'm not super concerned, just curious.

Going forward I'll use the chrome extension for articles I want pushed immediately, and Instapaper for the stuff I want bundled by topic. The kindle just keeps getting better. :)

Top Bottom