• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Thanks. It somehow started the download though so Im good.

Initial impressions:

Hardware:

-Flush Screen is great
-Lighting is better than Kobo Glo HD despite the gradient being incredibly disappointing (not as bad as others, but still noticeable...Ill get used to it or try to try my luck with a replacement)
-Page turn buttons are okay. But I cant afford an Oasis so this is my best option. Amazon is so slimy for removing buttons and putting it only in the high end model

-For a refurbished model, this device is absolutely flawless. Looks brand new. Im curious as to why it was returned. Maybe the gradient was too much for someone?

Software:

-Lots of things Ill miss from Kobo:

-Smaller font, as Kindle's smallest font isn't small enough
-Margins, line spacing, etc. felt better on Kobo. Feels like I could put more words into a page on Kobo while Amazon sets limits on everything
-I will really miss the font selections in Kobo, which featured lots of fonts that looked stylistically different, yet pleasant. Kindle has some nice fonts though

-I could also download fonts on Kobo

-Kindle store is amazing. Love it. Prices look good for some older books at least.

-I think Im fine with the ads/suggestions since it seems to work with my interests. I do wish there was some kind of pocket integration or a way to add articles from my PC to my Kindle. Kobo has pocket integration and its amazing.

-One of my biggest annoyances right now is the margins are too big, resulting in fewer words per page. On my Kobo, I have such fine control over all this. Reading a sample atm, and it's crazy how much space is wasted! Why?? Why not give users the freedom to choose how they want to read text

Edit: actually, taking back what I said about the margins and text lol. It seems fine and fits the same as the Kobo. Guess it just looks a little different than what Im used to.

-Some little things in Kobo made it much more accessible and easy to use--- tapping at the bottom to bring up the menu, sliding the side to change brightness (auto brightness feels a little inconsistent on my Voyage atm)

I do love the device, but Ill miss my Kobo's features. Hopefully Amazon adds more fonts and stops being so uptight about some customization options.

Anywho, I think Im pretty happy despite the complaints. Thanks everyone for your help :)

Time to relax and read lol

Wow, features like Wiki is nice, XRAY is so cool. Definitely encourages me to buy books like ASOIAF on Kindle. It's too bad Canadian store isn't as good. I already cant find a book Id like

Sorry guys, few more questions:

Noticing some odd line breaks in my converted books. Anyway to edit that in Calibre?

Speaking of which, I found a Calibre plugin that helps get me XRAY for some of my side loaded books. Anything of the sort for Word Wise?

Tons of options in calibre for converting. See this post: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=201499342

Haha funny enough he was quoting me

Ok another question:

I was unable to change my font reading a sideloaded book. Is that just how it is? Major bummer if so

I got the fintie case. It does the job. Dont mind how it feels, but it seems a bit difficult to open because there is no material that sticks out to push the cover open

I wish the cover was a little bigger than the voyage so that i could easily pry it open. Any case that does this?

Not a big deal, but curious is all

Haha funny enough he was quoting me

Ok another question:

I was unable to change my font reading a sideloaded book. Is that just how it is? Major bummer if so

I'm able to change the font on sideloaded books just fine. Not sure what would cause it to lock the font in like that.

yyzjohn

Banned
Whatbis meant by an embedded font?

Also, Ive not had any special offers on the lock screen yet. Is it random?

I've seen it from time to time on *some* sideloaded books where the font changing doesn't work. I'm not sure of the technical aspects of it but the book might have a font that is hard-coded or embedded into the text that can't be changed. Fortunately in Calibre, there is an option to set your own fonts when converting books. If you go back to that link I sent you, see the screen shots, there's something like "Embed font family"...try something like that and re-convert your book and then load it again. See if that helps.

Here's the screen I mean:

8ZbGxqD.jpg

DrAg0nBoY

So guys I have a question. I got a used Kindle Paperwhite from my sister. I have no idea how old it is I just know that I has not been used in a long time and it the battery was drained when I got it.

I filled the battery up on Thursday and wanted to go and read something today (haven't touched the kindle in the meantime) and the battery was dead again.

So my question is, is the Kindle "dead"? Because if I have to fill the battery on 2 days (without using it) I guess it would be even quicker dead if I read something on it. The Kindle is also in a magnetic case so that could have turned on the kindle, but I still think it should have not drained the battery that quickly?

I am now charging it up and will do so for the remainder of the day (so atleast the next 10 hours) but I would still like to know what you guys think about this. Thanks.

n64coder

So my question is, is the Kindle "dead"? Because if I have to fill the battery on 2 days (without using it) I guess it would be even quicker dead if I read something on it. The Kindle is also in a magnetic case so that could have turned on the kindle, but I still think it should have not drained the battery that quickly?

The magnetic case shouldn't do anything AFAIK. You can only turn on the Paperwhite via the power button. I have another Paperwhite that was dead for months and I charged it yesterday (preparing to give it to my mother-in-law) and just checked, it's on full charge. So I would try yours again and if it still doesn't hold the charge, it's probably dead.

On a separate topic, anyone know the best way to get an Oasis on the cheap side? I'm starting yo monitor eBay auctions looking for a deal.

DrAg0nBoY

The magnetic case shouldn't do anything AFAIK. You can only turn on the Paperwhite via the power button. I have another Paperwhite that was dead for months and I charged it yesterday (preparing to give it to my mother-in-law) and just checked, it's on full charge. So I would try yours again and if it still doesn't hold the charge, it's probably dead.

On a separate topic, anyone know the best way to get an Oasis on the cheap side? I'm starting yo monitor eBay auctions looking for a deal.

Well I read that some magnetic cases (or all) on some Paperwhite versions bring the kindle back from sleep and that should than drain the battery. But like I said I dunno if the battery can get drained because of that in 2 days, from full to zero.

Benedict

My Paperback turns the screen on or off with the case (third party).

Just bought some books on sale:
Diary of an 80s Computer Geek by Stewen Howlett
Empire of Imagination by Michael Witwer
Ghost in The Wires by Kevin Mitnik.

yyzjohn

Banned
Well I read that some magnetic cases (or all) on some Paperwhite versions bring the kindle back from sleep and that should than drain the battery. But like I said I dunno if the battery can get drained because of that in 2 days, from full to zero.

Pretty much all the magnetic cases for the Paperwhite or Voyage will have the wake/sleep functionality. It shouldn't drain the battery,I've used a magnetic case on my voyage for years and my battery lasts 3-4 weeks.

Chorazin

Never had a problem with any of my Kindles and magnetic cases.

Speaking of old kindles, finally getting around to sending in my old ones for some store credit. I'm basically getting peanuts back from them, but I couldn't find anyone that wanted them so off they go!

Great book!

wilflare

My Paperback turns the screen on or off with the case (third party).

Diary of an 80s Computer Geek by Stewen Howlett
Empire of Imagination by Michael Witwer

I should really keep track of all these great sales.

Ludovico

Hey all.
Using a Paperwhite 3, and I've been sending tons of articles to it via Tinderizer.
Now I have a huge amount of mixed content and management is becoming a major issue.

I searched the thread and just wanted to make sure, is this user made "Collections Manager" (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186305) compatible with the 3 and still the best way of tackling management from a PC as opposed to using the device itself?
Does anyone use the Kindle phone app for managing collections?

So I'm loving my Voyage. Still dream of owning the Oasis, and I may switch out if someone like Kobo delivers a button featured Kobo with a flush screen and good lighting.

I do love the Amazon ecosystem though. Just wish books were cheaper in Canada, and Im curious if I can borrow from my library.

One thing Ive noticed:

I bought a refurbished model and its totally like brand new. But I also have never gotten a lock screen ad, the ones that I have to swipe to unlock the home screen. Why is this?

I was expecting it. On the home screen, I just have recommended books that are linked to my goodreads preferences. I have no issue with this at all

DOWN

Banned
So I'm loving my Voyage. Still dream of owning the Oasis, and I may switch out if someone like Kobo delivers a button featured Kobo with a flush screen and good lighting.

I do love the Amazon ecosystem though. Just wish books were cheaper in Canada, and Im curious if I can borrow from my library.

One thing Ive noticed:

I bought a refurbished model and its totally like brand new. But I also have never gotten a lock screen ad, the ones that I have to swipe to unlock the home screen. Why is this?

I was expecting it. On the home screen, I just have recommended books that are linked to my goodreads preferences. I have no issue with this at all
I actually didn't think they supported those lock screen ads in Canada, so you are opted out by default. I believe I've read people say they told Amazon Support they live in Canada to get out of the ads.

Can anyone with a Paperwhite 3 and voyage compare the lighting for me? I know there are vids online but I saw one where they look the absolute same

I have both and really don't notice much of a difference

For real?

Isn't the PW3 shadowy in the corners, for example? Isn't the light yellower/less whiter (or bluer)? I cant tell based off of videos. Does text pop better on Voyage?

because it feels to me that if it's truly on par with Voyage...maybe I should save my money and get the PW3 for $140, as opposed to the $210 I paid for Voyage.

----

Is there any way to send articles, like news articles from New Yorker or whatever, to Kindle automatically without me having to manually do it?

yyzjohn

Banned
New Kindle firmware available. 5.8.8

Improvements to tables that contain images: Images inside tables are now more proportionate to the table dimensions.

Auto-shelving enhancements for Goodreads users: If you've linked your Kindle with Goodreads, you'll have the option to add your books to your Goodreads shelf from the About this Book and Before You Go sections of each book.

OK, I have to say, the gradient on the Voyage is really bothering me. Its just really crazy how two-tone it is, and I dont have many options to return it as I purchased it in USA but live in Canada.

...I think Ill just stick it out because Paperwhite 3's screen has the typical shadows and is yellower, so the Voyage sounds like its still better than that.

Necrovex

Amazon is doing a major sell for Kindles again. $50 for OG Kindle, $90 for paperwhite, and $150 for Voyage.

Debating about trading in my 2014 Kindle Paperwhite and upgrading to a voyage. What do y'all think?

Amazon is doing a major sell for Kindles again. $50 for OG Kindle, $90 for paperwhite, and $150 for Voyage.

Debating about trading in my 2014 Kindle Paperwhite and upgrading to a voyage. What do y'all think?

It's nice, but make sure to get a case. I find the Voyage hard to hold without one. Omoton makes a pretty damn nice one.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Question about the Oasis: when receiving the "cover low battery" warning, but the Kindle itself is almost fully charged, is there any harm from not detaching the cover?

Bri

I'm close to ordering a Kindle Paperwhite from amazon.de but will mainly get stuff outside Amazon's own store (will mostly read stuff not written in English) and I wonder if dictionary will work if I convert epub to mobi? Or will it only work with stuff bought from the Kindle store?

The dictionary is installed in the Kindle right? So I don't need to be connected to Wifi for it to work.

yyzjohn

Banned
Kindle firwmare updated to 5.8.9

Changes:
Ragged Right Alignment: You can now read using left-aligned (ragged right) text instead of justified (aligned on both left and right margin). This new alignment option can be selected from the Display Settings (Aa) menu within Kindle books that support Enhanced Typesetting. On the Kindle eBook Store page, look for "Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled" in the features list.

Faster Highlighting: You can now touch and drag to make a highlight more quickly. Tap the highlight again to edit or delete it.

Advanced manga page turn controls: You can now drag left and right to adjust speed and direction when using the fast continuous page turn feature while reading manga.
Preview manga double page spreads: You’ll now see a preview of double page spreads at the bottom of the page while reading manga. Tap the preview to see a full landscape view of the spread, and tap again to close it.

Crop margins in manga: You can now remove blank margins from manga pages for a closer view of the content. Enable this option from the Display Settings (Aa) menu within manga books.

Paperwhite 4, or maybe Voyage 2, leaked.

76c5a13db2.jpg

From leaker:

"Only one pic leaked from a retailer in China, perhaps we can name it Paperwhite 4 or simplified Voyage. CPU still not upgraded, same flash storage as previous gen, same 300 ppi, Waterproofing. that's all, a very uninspired mid-market product. And kindle voyage & oasis would be suspended production, there will be 2 new models in 2018, 6 inch & 7 inch devices at high-end market.

P.S. 'Paperwhite 4' would be probably available during the 2nd half of the year."

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I find the large bezel to be something of a plus on the paperwhite. Prevents mistaken inputs and keeps it nicely balanced.

Chorazin

I feel like it has to be an upgraded Paperwhite, the PagePress system is probably going to be on the higher end models from here out.

Love my Voyager with the black official leather cover. I'm reading some Warhammer 40K books now and the thing looks just Grimdark enough haha

hampig

I have a Paperwhite (I believe the second iteration) and I was wondering if it's able to display Japanese characters? I don't have it with me for this week or I'd try myself, just curious if anyone's tried this out? Are you able to look up definitions still, and would it be the English translation of the words or Japanese definitions? My Kindles overall language setting would be English.

Chorazin

I have a Paperwhite (I believe the second iteration) and I was wondering if it's able to display Japanese characters? I don't have it with me for this week or I'd try myself, just curious if anyone's tried this out? Are you able to look up definitions still, and would it be the English translation of the words or Japanese definitions? My Kindles overall language setting would be English.

I think it will display them, and if you have the Japanese dictionary installed it should look them up. But TBH I haven't tried it so I could be completely off base.

Top Bottom