• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

O.DOGG

I have a Paperwhite (I believe the second iteration) and I was wondering if it's able to display Japanese characters? I don't have it with me for this week or I'd try myself, just curious if anyone's tried this out? Are you able to look up definitions still, and would it be the English translation of the words or Japanese definitions? My Kindles overall language setting would be English.

I know for a fact that the Kindle displays Japanese characters - both kana and kanji but I've never used a Japanese to English dictionary on mine so I can't confirm whether it works or not. With the proper dictionary installed I see no reason why that would be a problem though.

DOWN

Banned

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hey guys, I am on the verge of buying an used 4th Gen Kindle (I dont want a Touchscreen eBook Reader) and wanna look in the possibilitys of using that device.
One thing I want to do is a collection of manuals of my most used devices, but these are all avaiable as PDFs and I would like to have some recommentions regarding a programm, that convert these files into the Kindle file format.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hey guys, I am on the verge of buying an used 4th Gen Kindle (I dont want a Touchscreen eBook Reader) and wanna look in the possibilitys of using that device.
One thing I want to do is a collection of manuals of my most used devices, but these are all avaiable as PDFs and I would like to have some recommentions regarding a programm, that convert these files into the Kindle file format.
Calibre

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Any very good and cheap recommendations for non-fiction books for Amazon Kindle? I'm really into anything science-related and history/politics.

I was nearing the end of a gripping novel and my darn Kindle crashed. First time it's happened and couldn't have been at a worse time. Thankfully a reboot solved it. No wonder traditional paper books are seeing a resurgence

Chorazin

I was nearing the end of a gripping novel and my darn Kindle crashed. First time it's happened and couldn't have been at a worse time. Thankfully a reboot solved it. No wonder traditional paper books are seeing a resurgence

I have never had a single one of my Kindles crash in all the years I've owned one. I don't think the rare occasion of a device crashing is accounting for people buying paper books.

yyzjohn

Banned
I have never had a single one of my Kindles crash in all the years I've owned one. I don't think the rare occasion of a device crashing is accounting for people buying paper books.

Yeah I dunno what's going on here, I've read 200 books since I've been using Kindles and never had one crash on me. Then again I always update with the latest firmware so I rebooted them from time to time..maybe he went without rebooting for a long while?

There is really no Kindle with hardware buttons anymore, right? I really dont want a Touchscreen on a device like this...

Touchscreen is good but the Oasis has actual page turn buttons and the Voyage has touch sensitive haptic feedback strips (called PagePress) in the bezel.

I've been using the PagePress feature more lately on my Kindle by the touchscreen ability is still essential. Often times I don't hold the device in a way my thumb rests right on them and a quick swipe is far more comfortable.

Chorazin

There is really no Kindle with hardware buttons anymore, right? I really dont want a Touchscreen on a device like this...

Kindle Oasis has awesome buttons on each side with haptic feedback. But you'd never notice fingerprints if you went with a cheaper model.

bionic77

It works pretty well.

About 98% as well as buttons. It is not something I consider a negative.

The product was pretty close to perfected with the paperwhite.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

You don't swipe to turn the page. You can but I just tap. It's easy as shit. Completely unobtrusive.

It works pretty well.

About 98% as well as buttons. It is not something I consider a negative.

The product was pretty close to perfected with the paperwhite.

Kindle Oasis has awesome buttons on each side with haptic feedback. But you'd never notice fingerprints if you went with a cheaper model.

It's capacitive touch, like all modern devices. You won't notice fingerprints on it.

I have a voyage and still use the touch screen over the bezel.....

I am not even sure why, I think it just feels wrong and I expect it to work better with the button in single hand use

DOWN

Banned
Amazon has launched a neat thing called Amazon Charts for books. It lists the top 20 Most Read as well as a list of Most Sold books for the week (you can switch between viewing fiction and non-fiction).

This week, thanks to Hulu, The Handmaid's Tale was the most read fiction.

https://www.amazon.com/charts/ref=chrt_bk_dx_em_im

Though I'll admit it is a bit confusing how something can be Most read but not most sold. I guess if people widely own it already or are using kindle unlimited then it doesn't sell as well as it is actually being read? And how do they check most read? Does your kindle tell them each time you open a book and they track it for the charts? Do library copies get counted as most read or just Amazon sourced books?

hampig

I am not even sure why, I think it just feels wrong and I expect it to work better with the button in single hand use

I had a Kindle a while ago and hated the touchscreen too, but with my recent Paperwhite I actually much prefer the touchscreen to any sort of button. Makes being as lazy as possible while reading/reading with one hand easier.

bananas

Banned
Just got my Kindle Voyage today!

Too bad I'm out at sea and can't put any books on it until I get to port...

...hardware's nice tho. :p

Picked up a Kindle Oasis. I won't lie it is an amazing purchase. Going from Barnes and Noble to Amazon is a hard pill to swallow because B&N made it impossible to try to salvage the library purchased with them.

Outside of that it was a perfect purchase. The Oasis backlighting, size and weight are perfect.

Next time I have serious money to burn I'll probably buy an Oasis.

Wait for the next revision. I really like my Oasis but it's not worth the money, and it's just short of being the definitive Kindle. The odd shape almost makes it really comfortable to hold, but it's too thin for it's own good. Tech companies are obsessed with making things thinner, but it'd be better if there was more to grab onto. Plus the now that the Paperwhite has the same screen you're paying a LOT more for nothing much. The improved lighting isn't noticeable to me.

If you're going to buy a "premium" Kindle the Voyage's Origami cover is a lot more useful and unique than anything you get with the Oasis.

Picked up a Kindle Oasis. I won't lie it is an amazing purchase. Going from Barnes and Noble to Amazon is a hard pill to swallow because B&N made it impossible to try to salvage the library purchased with them.

Outside of that it was a perfect purchase. The Oasis backlighting, size and weight are perfect.

You can't strip the DRM of your B&N books with Calibre? I haven't done it in years but I'm pretty sure that used to possible.

Wait for the next revision. I really like my Oasis but it's not worth the money, and it's just short of being the definitive Kindle. The odd shape almost makes it really comfortable to hold, but it's too thin for it's own good. Tech companies are obsessed with making things thinner, but it'd be better if there was more to grab onto. Plus the now that the Paperwhite has the same screen you're paying a LOT more for nothing much. The improved lighting isn't noticeable to me.

If you're going to buy a "premium" Kindle the Voyage's Origami cover is a lot more useful and unique than anything you get with the Oasis.

You can't strip the DRM of your B&N books with Calibre? I haven't done it in years but I'm pretty sure that used to possible.

Apparently that stopped when B&N made it to where you cannot download books and archive anymore. Unless someone knows something I do not.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
On the refurbished Kindle Paperwhite page when it says:

A61SaFc.png

Offer Type: DTCP

What does that mean?

I just got a Kindle Paperwhite for my birthday and I love it so far. I'm reading my first book and I have a question, though. On one of the pages, the author drew an ASCII grid to illustrate his point. On the Kindle, this grid was split between two different pages, which I assume is NOT the way it was supposed to be in the printed version.

I ended up doing other stuff on my Kindle, but when I came back to the book I noticed that the layout had shifted slightly, and now the grid was displaying properly on one page. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this change? I didn't change the font size or layout at all. Moreover, I thought the Kindle automatically avoids these mistakes in the first place? I remember reading how the page layout and page presentation on Kindle is automatically adapted for any screen size.

Do you have Wi-Fi on? There could have been an update to the book.

Yes, I had wi-fi on. Not sure if it was a book update or not. I just remember checking out the "Go To" and page flip options, but when I went back to the page the layout had changed. It was really weird.

Besides that, though, I LOVE this thing. Ever since I was a kid I wished I could read books with one hand, and the Kindle makes this easier than ever. Also, it's great to read in a completely dark room.

One more question about the Paperwhite. If I enable airplane mode, does that get rid of the popular highlights in a book? I don't like seeing other people's highlights while I'm reading, but sometimes when I finish a chapter and/or book I'll go back and see what other people highlighted. I know I can turn off this option in the menu, but I'm wondering if airplane mode does the same thing.

Thanks!

One more question about the Paperwhite. If I enable airplane mode, does that get rid of the popular highlights in a book? I don't like seeing other people's highlights while I'm reading, but sometimes when I finish a chapter and/or book I'll go back and see what other people highlighted. I know I can turn off this option in the menu, but I'm wondering if airplane mode does the same thing.

Thanks!
I use airplane mode almost exclusively, and I still used to see popular highlights.

Haven't seen them in a while though, so maybe something changed?

Vice

Are there any Prime Day deals expected for the paper white?
Edit: Also interested in any deep discounts on the other models.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Does anyone know when Amazon is releasing info on new kindles?

So tempted to just pick up an Oasis - love the idea of page turning with buttons

Nymerio

As an owner of both an Oasis and a Paperwhite I still don't get the obsession with page turn buttons. That said, the Oasis is pretty damn nice, it's by no means a must buy but if you have the cash for it as a luxury item I'd say go for it.

DagsJT

I'd go as far as saying a device with buttons would put me off. I really like the sleek look of the Paperwhite and no buttons on the front.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Does anyone else with an Oasis find the battery life poor? I can't go more than a few days of use without needing to charge it, and it's such a sharp decrease from my Keyboard and Paperwhite that it's striking. The Kindle itself keeps its battery fine enough, and I'm always in airplane mode except when I need to sync up new purchases, but it's the battery cover that loses battery rather quickly. I always keep the cover on, and after four or five days I get a warning to charge my Kindle as the battery is really low, and I end up taking the cover off so I can stop seeing the low battery warning as the actual Kindle is still at 80-90% battery. Is this simply a weird annoyance with the Oasis' battery cover implementation or is my battery cover a dud? I've had my Oasis since launch.

I just got a Kindle Paperwhite for my birthday and I love it so far. I'm reading my first book and I have a question, though. On one of the pages, the author drew an ASCII grid to illustrate his point. On the Kindle, this grid was split between two different pages, which I assume is NOT the way it was supposed to be in the printed version.

I ended up doing other stuff on my Kindle, but when I came back to the book I noticed that the layout had shifted slightly, and now the grid was displaying properly on one page. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this change? I didn't change the font size or layout at all. Moreover, I thought the Kindle automatically avoids these mistakes in the first place? I remember reading how the page layout and page presentation on Kindle is automatically adapted for any screen size.

I notice this all the time when I go back to a book after closing it. No idea why it happens or how it decides what to display. As far as I know there's no way to manually scroll through a page either.

How do I "click" on these links?

Have you never used a smartphone or tablet? You just touch them, as you would on anything else.

Does anyone else with an Oasis find the battery life poor? I can't go more than a few days of use without needing to charge it, and it's such a sharp decrease from my Keyboard and Paperwhite that it's striking. The Kindle itself keeps its battery fine enough, and I'm always in airplane mode except when I need to sync up new purchases, but it's the battery cover that loses battery rather quickly. I always keep the cover on, and after four or five days I get a warning to charge my Kindle as the battery is really low, and I end up taking the cover off so I can stop seeing the low battery warning as the actual Kindle is still at 80-90% battery. Is this simply a weird annoyance with the Oasis' battery cover implementation or is my battery cover a dud? I've had my Oasis since launch.

I haven't had any issues, definitely the longest-lasting Kindle I've owned. You do get separate low battery warning for the cover and for the Kindle itself, it's never bothered me though.

I'd go as far as saying a device with buttons would put me off. I really like the sleek look of the Paperwhite and no buttons on the front.

The Paperwhite has the sunken screen, though, kind of takes away some of the sleekness. The Voyage is far more sleek. Well the front anyway. The angular back isn't so sleek.

Top Bottom