• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Our next competitive match is 600 days away

Gold cup 2019

I’m gonna be sick.

Edit:

On the bright side, we ARE in fact invited to the 2019 Copa America in Brazil. Which is good. So I guess on the bright side we’ll have that too look forward to a year after Russia.

Seems like the tournament will change after that one though because the next one is 2024. So they’ll go to a two year intervals like the Euro, and hopefully have a qualification round for it too instead of random invites.

The only positive about this is the fact that it gives the next coach a long time to look at younger players who should have gotten a shot this cycle along with the up-and-coming talent. If one of the first two friendlies after this isn't all younger players then they're already fucking up.

ahoyle77

Oh yeah that too... I wanted to get a coaching license but fuck that when I saw the cost. I’ll just solo train my kid and coach at theAYSO when he is old enough

I got my lowest licenses just to be a "licensed" coach. They are worthless and learned nothing. Attended a 2 day clinic with Argentinian Futsal National Team coach, learned an incredible amount. "A" licensed soccer coaches were saying it was the best training they had attended. Cost me zero, just trying to help spread futsal. We need more things like that for soccer. The online courses should be free at this point to.

Dartastic

The only positive about this is the fact that it gives the next coach a long time to look at younger players who should have gotten a shot this cycle along with the up-and-coming talent. If one of the first two friendlies after this isn't all younger players then they're already fucking up.
Agreed. The only people I want to see on that pitch who are already on the team are Yedlin and Pulisic.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Agreed. The only people I want to see on that pitch who are already on the team are Yedlin and Pulisic.

If Miazga and CCV don't get a call up to the next camp then I will rage. There was no reason for them to have not been in the CB rotation for this cycle. They were the right age and skill level for it. Instead we let the team get super old.

Quixzlizx

If Miazga and CCV don't get a call up to the next camp then I will rage. There was no reason for them to have not been in the CB rotation for this cycle. They were the right age and skill level for it. Instead we let the team get super old.

I don't think we should be assuming that CCV will end up on the USMNT. He can't be cap-tied by the US until 2019 now, and he might decide to bail out before then.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think we should be assuming that CCV will end up on the USMNT. He can't be cap-tied until 2019 by the US now, and he might decide to bail out before then.

While this is true, he has played for the US u-20's before. If he sees the US get serious about bringing in younger players and fixing up the program he might just bite. There's nothing to lose by calling him up and giving him minutes. Worst comes to worst and we'll use do Brooks-Miazga in the center and figure out who sits behind them from there.

My larger point is that he should have been cap tied way before now and should have been in the WCQ rotation. We need to bring the guys we ignored this cycle into the fold immediately, then start bringing in the up and comers who are just starting to go pro.

Quixzlizx

While this is true, he has played for the US u-20's before. If he sees the US get serious about bringing in younger players and fixing up the program he might just bite. There's nothing to lose by calling him up and giving him minutes. Worst comes to worst and we'll use do Brooks-Miazga in the center and figure out who sits behind them from there.

My larger point is that he should have been cap tied way before now and should have been in the WCQ rotation. We need to bring the guys we ignored this cycle into the fold immediately, then start bringing in the up and comers who are just starting to go pro.

We needed to keep Besler and Gonzalez fresh for their pivotal performances against football juggernaut Trinidad & Tobago.

Hey Sunillll. Sunillllll. Nervous yet?

https://twitter.com/DonnaShalala/status/918104240467218432

I cannot even imagine the meltdown sponsors must be having right now.

1. Who the hell is that?
2. According to the comments, she fell asleep during a board meeting
3. If 2 is true and the assumption is that she is a board member, then I have to wonder
a. How did she actually become a board member
b. If that's the quality of board members at USSF, then the problem is way deeper than just replacing Gulati

I don't think we should be assuming that CCV will end up on the USMNT. He can't be cap-tied by the US until 2019 now, and he might decide to bail out before then.

I would, fuck this shit. Pulicic can also apply for a one time switch to Croatia. I would bail out too if I were him.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
1. Who the hell is that?
2. According to the comments, she fell asleep during a board meeting
3. If 2 is true and the assumption is that she is a board member, then I have to wonder
a. How did she actually become a board member
b. If that's the quality of board members at USSF, then the problem is way deeper than just replacing Gulati

I would, fuck this shit. Pulicic can also apply for a one time switch to Croatia. I would bail out too if I were him.

No he can't. He was cap tied the moment he played one second for the US senior team in a competitive match.

Eila

Isn’t the one time switch just for players who only appeared at the youth level?
Or friendlies. But Pulisic has already played a couple tournaments and qualifiers, so he's very much cap tied to the US. Even if he didn't feature in those, did he even have croatian citizenship before choosing to play for the US?

Or friendlies. But Pulisic has already played a couple tournaments and qualifiers, so he's very much cap tied to the US. Even if he didn't feature in those, did he even have croatian citizenship before choosing to play for the US?

He was in the US youth national team program for a while before getting Croatian citizenship but was not cap tied. They offered call ups but he turned them down.

His folks were also born and raised US (IIRC) so I don't think he gave it much thought TBH. The citizenship was to count as a EU player.

I'm going to say something a little controversial but I think the immediate anointing of being America's All-Time Greatest Player has probably gone to Pulisic's head as well.

Over the last 4-5 US games, I've seen Pulisic complain and whine a lot to the refs and lay on the grass sulking over a missed call way more than he used to. I know part of it is just him growing up but I think another part is that he's starting to have a bit of the attitude that things should come easy to him and the US should be grateful that he's there.

When he's in Germany the games that I've watched, he definitely carries himself differently and is more humble for obvious reasons. But I think his "Chosen One" status for the USMNT has affected his performance lately particularly in the tough physical games.

Pulisic desperately needs another big name player on the team or it's going to stunt his growth as well. When Landon Donovan was coming up, there still was Claudio Reyna, Earnie Stewart, Eddie Pope, and others. He also had DeMarcus Beasely coming up alongside him. But the talent gap between Pulisic and everyone south of Dempsey is just gigantic. Pulisic shouldn't be far and away the best player on the team at 18 years old. He's not THAT good. So that just shows the sad state of the USMNT.

Missing out on the World Cup is definitely disappointing for Pulisic. But it actually might be good for him in the long run. I think he needed to pump the brakes a bit before the hype (and his head) got out of control. He already plays in Europe and Champions League so he doesn't need the World Cup for exposure like most players from non-UEFA countries need. The US will be in the next Copa America in 2019, so they'll start prepping for that probably in 12 months time. And after Copa America, the next WC qualification cycle begins soon after. He still has the opportunity to be in at least 3 WCs for his career.

East Lake

I think more likely he's worried about getting injured. He's young and on a trajectory that could lead to very large transfer. He's also a small guy and Dortmund's an extremely competitive place for wingers. If he picks up a knee or ankle injury against a team like Costa Rica he could do serious damage to his career, and in the bundesliga the refs seem to take the fouls more seriously.

To be fair though I have seen him complain to refs at points where I thought it was unnecessary. I forget what game but one that's in my head is where he beat a defender on the sideline but was called out of bounds and he started going after the linesman, but a lot of players do that even when I don't like seeing it so it's hard to read much into it imo.

Quixzlizx

Yeah, the Central American CONCACAF teams beat the shit out of him, and none of his teammates bothered to stick up for him, either.

I wonder what Jermaine Jones would've done :lol

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
NYCFC management/ownership continues to be a joke. With their final home game being at Citi Field, is that three or four different venues they've used as the "home" venue this year?

The nest USSF president election is in February. There are actually challengers this time which did not happened for Gulati's three previous terms. It may be possible he announces that he will not seek reelection.

I don't want him involved in picking the next coach regardless.

RBH

KakaRed.jpg

In a post on Instagram, Kakà explained that he will play his last game for Orlando City on Sunday:

"The moment now is to say goodbye, but my heart is full of happiness and joy, proud and honored to end another wining cycle. Sunday I will play my last official match with the Orlando City jersey in Orlando. I would like to thank Flávio, Alexandre and Diogo for believing that I could be an important part of this puzzle. Thank you to all the Fans for always supporting the team, crowded the stadium and didn't hesitate to support us at any time, even in the hardest moments. Thanks to all the community that have embraced soccer in an incredible way and my fellow teammates who are and were always beside me, fighting for each ball. Also, thanks to the technical staff that gave us full support, the directors, employees who built this Club with happiness and enthusiasm from the backstage. Thanks to the press, to the sponsors and all of you that always supported me through these amazing 3 years of success and achievements. I will keep on supporting, cheering and believing in the club and will forever be a Lion. Excited for the upcoming professional challenges."
http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/kaka-i-will-play-my-last-game-with-orlando-city-on-sunday

Our next competitive match is 600 days away

Gold cup 2019

I’m gonna be sick.

Edit:

On the bright side, we ARE in fact invited to the 2019 Copa America in Brazil. Which is good. So I guess on the bright side we’ll have that too look forward to a year after Russia.

Seems like the tournament will change after that one though because the next one is 2024. So they’ll go to a two year intervals like the Euro, and hopefully have a qualification round for it too instead of random invites.

The US will send a B side to Copa America and focus on the Gold Cup ...

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Gulati: "I certainly take responsibility for us not getting the job done.", Tuesday's result is a "shock to the system.", ”We will take a look at everything we do on the technical side" also said will look at bringing in ”outside help", Plans a "deep dive" in improving the program.

USMNT playing two games in November, first one in Europe, 2nd one also likely to be in Europe as well. (Don't blame them.)

No new coach yet, announcing interim in 7-10 days for those matches.

Gulati: "I don't plan to resign." Also wouldn't say if he's seeking re-election as USSF president. "...it's not the right day for me to talk about my personal future plans in terms of the fed presidency."

Gulati: "I certainly take responsibility for us not getting the job done.", Tuesday's result is a "shock to the system.", “We will take a look at everything we do on the technical side” also said will look at bringing in “outside help”, Plans a "deep dive" in improving the program.

USMNT playing two games in November, first one in Europe, 2nd one also likely to be in Europe as well. (Don't blame them.)

No new coach yet, announcing interim in 7-10 days for those matches.

Gulati: "I don't plan to resign." Also wouldn't say if he's seeking re-election as USSF president. "...it's not the right day for me to talk about my personal future plans in terms of the fed presidency."

In other words, "I take responsibility for the epic failure, but fuck you if you think I'm quitting and not taking this money."

USSF president has a metric shit-ton of perks and networking opportunities. Especially if you look the other way when you notice rampant CONCACAF and FIFA corruption.

Gulati ultimately got a FIFA ExCo seat out of it.

Yea. It can cost 100's to join a youth league. Pretty sure the academies are free though, but that doesn't stop them from making money.

Yeah, I only played AYSO growing up because we couldn't afford the club teams some of my friends joined. When I got a little older, a spring league formed and one of the AYSO coaches picked some of us up to play in it (it was affordable), and we got to play in some pretty big tourneys sometimes, but always pretty limited by budgets.

Quixzlizx

Also, youth teams don't get compensated when they develop a prospect who gets nabbed, so they are incentivized to fill their teams with players whose parents write checks, not the best talent.

Yea. It can cost 100's to join a youth league. Pretty sure the academies are free though, but that doesn't stop them from making money.

Whoa, you're waaaaaay off.

If you're talking about the recreational level, then yes it only costs about $100 or so to join a league. But as soon as you start playing at the competitive level the club fees spike substantially to $1500 - 2500 per year. This doesn't include tournament fees and travel, which can be an additional $500 - 1500. Some clubs still make you pay for your own uniforms and gear on top of that so that's another $300-400. And then there's additional costs of private training ($80 - 100 per hour), which the clubs should be providing for free. If you're playing at the elite level of soccer, you're easily paying over $5,000 per year often a lot more. Even kids who play on "B" teams at the competitive level are still paying at least $2,000 per year.

That's for competitive club teams. Then you have Academies and there are about 100 academy programs nationwide. Those can cost 6,000 - 10,000 per year, depending on the travel. The only academy teams that are actually free are the MLS funded academies (only 20) and maybe a few other small programs. The MLS academies are so spread out across the country that only the tiniest fraction of players even have that as an option.

This is what people mean by "Pay to Play". If you're a upper middle class kid, then you have the opportunity to work your way up the youth soccer development pyramid. If you're a middle class kid, it's going to be a tremendous struggle and hardship on your family to keep up. And if your lower middle/ low income family then it's pretty much impossible to get beyond the recreation/AYSO level. Sure some clubs offer scholarships but you pretty much already have to be a stud who can help the team get immediate results. But if you're a small kid with a lot of potential and natural touch but still a bit rough around the edges, you'll almost never get a scholarship. Our "Pay to Play" system doesn't care about long-term potential.

The reason people in the know rail against Pay to Play is because it prevents us from properly leveraging our large diverse population. It also creates "country club" players who are sheltered and comfortable, and don't play with the same passion and hunger as maybe someone from a different economic background and soccer culture. You end up with guys like Michael Bradley.

Also, youth teams don't get compensated when they develop a prospect who gets nabbed, so they are incentivized to fill their teams with players whose parents write checks, not the best talent.

Bingo.

We'll never fully get rid of Pay to Play. Our country is just way too big in terms of geography and population. Smaller countries like Iceland can open up 10 youth facilities, hire 100 "A" license coaches, and that would allow them to reach 100% of their population. Here in America that would barely make a dent in Los Angeles. So US Soccer and the MLS can't fully fund all of youth soccer in America.

But....

...if US Soccer actually allowed training compensation (America is the only soccer federation that doesn't allow it), then it would be a game changer. Instead of soccer clubs being built to profit off rich yuppie parents, they would be built to develop professional caliber plays to profit off the world transfer market. If a youth club gets to the point of outputing 2-3 professional players a year and one world class player every 5 years, then they're easily making enough money where they can fund the training of its players.

Not every club would necessarily be designed for outputing professionals. We probably would still have some Pay to Play clubs whose focus is putting players into college. But if US Soccer allows training compensation, then a lot more professional academies would popup beyond the MLS academies, providing a greater reach for young players with potential to play for fully funded or heavily subsidized teams.

gutshot

Interesting comments from Jermaine Jones in this Instagram Live video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_zYLi0jPwFc

Basically echoes Jurgen's common refrain and says that more US players need to go to Europe. And the next coach needs to be someone who will call in Euro-based players. Says too many guys are settling for the comfort of MLS instead of challenging themselves overseas. Calls out Jordan Morris and says he encouraged him to go to Germany and Morris said no, I want to stay near my family.

Strax

Interesting comments from Jermaine Jones in this Instagram Live video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_zYLi0jPwFc

Basically echoes Jurgen's common refrain and says that more US players need to go to Europe. And the next coach needs to be someone who will call in Euro-based players. Says too many guys are settling for the comfort of MLS instead of challenging themselves overseas. Calls out Jordan Morris and says he encouraged him to go to Germany and Morris said no, I want to stay near my family.

100% agree. Like the fact that Nick Rimando, Matt Besler, Graham Zusi and Chris Wondolowski never played in Europe is so strange to me.

Top Bottom