• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Mate 10 gets a 97 from Dx0. They love the still photo performance. China upping their game.

I'm blown away so far. Huge upgrade even from the P10. I'm not going to comment on whether this is the best camera in relation to others, but the quality is at least on par for me. When you add long exposure modes, light painting, and the black and white photography, for me, it's gotta be up there with the best now, and not a notch below the S8s and iPhones of this world.

Even the selfie bokeh seems nearly perfect now.

Ps: to the poster with questions above, I'll get to you on my lunch break.

Briarios

Anyone tried out the ZTE Blade Z Max? I dropped my phone yesterday and the screen just exploded. I usually get budget Android phones, because I only browse, check email and occasionally stream video.

PudieRSC

What are your guys thoughts on the LG V30? Been on the fence between that and the S8+ for a couple days now.

V30 is probably what I'm going with (depends on Black Friday). They're super similar phones in regards to what I care about (SD card being the main thing) but I like LG's UI more than TouchWiz, the last Samsung phone I had lagged bad, and the V30 has the quad DAC and I actually like the floating bar.

Both are fantastic picks though.

Woetyler

V30 is probably what I'm going with (depends on Black Friday). They're super similar phones in regards to what I care about (SD card being the main thing) but I like LG's UI more than TouchWiz, the last Samsung phone I had lagged bad, and the V30 has the quad DAC and I actually like the floating bar.

Both are fantastic picks though.

Yeah see, that's the fence I'm on. All the things I like are preference, for example I like the response of the on screen home button of the S8, but I like the touch ID sensor on the V30 way more. I suppose this happens every time I try to pick a new phone lol. I'll probably also be going with the LG.

PudieRSC

Yeah see, that's the fence I'm on. All the things I like are preference, for example I like the response of the on screen home button of the S8, but I like the touch ID sensor on the V30 way more. I suppose this happens every time I try to pick a new phone lol. I'll probably also be going with the LG.

Yea at the end of the day for me it came down to the little things, and the V30 just edges it out.

reKon

Banned
Need to see that updated battery test from GSMarena for the V30. I don't like those results for web browsing time.

I think that might improve with final software.

Rox598

Wouldn't be a phone launch without issues seeing a couple for the pixels.

Screen stuff for the XL and now the smaller one apparently makes a clicking sound when the NFC chip is active (this one is being investigated)

So I bought a 200GB microSD card on Amazon and they delivered it to the wrong address. I called them and they sent me a new one. Now the other one showed up. What do?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
So I bought a 200GB microSD card on Amazon and they delivered it to the wrong address. I called them and they sent me a new one. Now the other one showed up. What do?

If you contact them they'll tell you to keep it. I've had this happen with a book before. I guess it isn't worth the effort to deal with returns.

Al-ibn Kermit

Just call Amazon and explain. They'll either send you a shipping label or often just let you keep the second microsd card.

clem84

I'm looking for a phone to replace my Galaxy note 3. I thought the camera on that thing was superb for both videos and pics and I took all my vacation videos and pictures with it. It's the most important feature for me.

I was wondering... Is there a phone that came out in the last few years that had a camera considered very good for its time, that can also be had for relatively cheap since it's a few years old? Something that outdoes the Note 3 in that department preferably. Thanks.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm looking for a phone to replace my Galaxy note 3. I thought the camera on that thing was superb for both videos and pics and I took all my vacation videos and pictures with it. It's the most important feature for me.

I was wondering... Is there a phone that came out in the last few years that had a camera considered very good for its time, that can also be had for relatively cheap since it's a few years old? Something that outdoes the Note 3 in that department preferably. Thanks.

Just about anything out does that now.

How much do you want to spend? $200? $400? $800?

I know you said cheap, but how cheap?

clem84

Just about anything out does that now.

How much do you want to spend? $200? $400? $800?

I know you said cheap, but how cheap?
Oh, they've improved that much? Great. Sub 200 preferably. I googled a little bit and the LG G4 seems like a good choice. It's not that old, camera was rated very highly and it can be had for pretty cheap on ebay. I'm leaning toward that one unless I can find a better bang for buck.

For the Mate 10 Pro, is there notification light, always on display, double tap to wake and how's the display compared to a Note 8? Thanks!

There is a notification LED.

There is a always on display option, took me a while to find the option, but it's here.

Now the display question is interesting. Both are gorgeous, honestly, more so if you love AMOLED displays. I tried capturing a photo of both on a white background to show you, but it didn't help, so I'll report what I saw. In terms of white, Mate 10 wins, because one of two reasons: white is simply "whiter" than the Note, or the Mate screen is brighter, so white appears to be closer to the real thing. Note has the colors saturated a bit more, it wins there if you want it as punchy as possible. I think both are amazing screens.

Hope that helped.

NotBacon

Oh, they've improved that much? Great. Sub 200 preferably. I googled a little bit and the LG G4 seems like a good choice. It's not that old, camera was rated very highly and it can be had for pretty cheap on ebay. I'm leaning toward that one unless I can find a better bang for buck.

You can get a Galaxy S7 on Swappa for ~250.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Don't go with anything that wasn't released in 2016 or 2017.

You'll be fucked in terms of updates.

Check Swappa to see what you can snag used or else get a phone with Amazon ads off Amazon. You can get a great phone for $170-$230 on Amazon with lock screen ads.

PS: We're on the Note 8 so your essentially 5 phones behind. So even the low end has caught up and passed what you have.

yagal

Never says this anymore.

I got my Galaxy 8 on Straight Talk. It's got a promo unlimited data plan for 55 bucks a month. Not sure if it runs on AT&T or Verizon and still can't find out how to tell. Do the Straight Talk phones have bloatware, features cut, etc? Do they get updates in a timely manner compared to other Galaxy 8s by other carriers?

Bruh, I thought I'd never read such a thing. Why do you want for a phone so old??

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
don't know what it looks like in person but it reminds me of cheap laptop panels the way the colour shifts when you tilt it.

2sTFET1.png

Jeffrey

its like... you know those blue light filter/night modes?

its like turning that on and off every time you rotate the phone.

dcll

Banned
Anyone tried out the ZTE Blade Z Max? I dropped my phone yesterday and the screen just exploded. I usually get budget Android phones, because I only browse, check email and occasionally stream video.

ZTE makes great budget phones, I have had a bunch of them.

Admittedly I don't know much about display tech but I thought that sort of thing wasn't suppose to happen on OLED screens?

I had a Windows 7 phone that was better than that.

It hasn't in at least a couple of years. I had a note 5 with amazing oled display. Lg oled is garbage.

yagal

The LG v30 is not even out in Europe yet, Fuck you LG

And a waitlist is up for the Google Pixel 2 XL here in Italy .... 989€ hahahahahahaha the Note 8 is available on Amazon.it for 780€, the S8+ for 627€

MarkusRJR

Have LG fixed their bootloop and heat problems? Every LG phone I've used got super hot during gaming or Web browsing (more than other brands I've tried), and I had to deal with a constant bootloop nightmare with the G4 (until I bought out my contract and upgraded).

My contract is gonna be up soonish and I'm probably going to wait for the G7 or Pixel 3 but I was curious if LG has finally got their shit together or not. I heard the G6 finally fixed the bootlooping but I wanna make sure.

Top Bottom