• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Tales of Rebirth/Symphonia PS2 jump scan!

kiryogi

Banned
Just because I love pouring salt on a wound! :Well who knows, ToR might make it here!:

1086432231544.jpg

Yossarian

Whats the story with the Tales games anyway? Someone told me that the next Symphonia game was coming on GC, someone else said otherwise. I'm just confused :confused:

Soul4ger

Yossarian said:
Whats the story with the Tales games anyway? Someone told me that the next Symphonia game was coming on GC, someone else said otherwise. I'm just confused :confused:

Tales of Symphonia hits GameCube on July 14. That's the North American date. Get it, it's supposed to be amazing.

Yossarian

Soul4ger said:
Tales of Symphonia hits GameCube on July 14. That's the North American date. Get it, it's supposed to be amazing.
I already preordered it (see the other ToS thread), but I swore I heard something about a sequel. I was just wondering what console the supposed sequel was for.

jarrod

Banned
Yossarian said:
I already preordered it (see the other ToS thread), but I swore I heard something about a sequel. I was just wondering what console the supposed sequel was for.
A few months back there was a rumor that 5 Tales games were coming out. A new 2D Tales for PS2, a new 3D Tales for GC (Tales of Legendia is the rumored title) a second Tales of Fandom for PS2 or PS1, and more Tales games for PSP and GBA. Half that obviously came true already (Tales of Rebirth PS2 being the new 2D installment and Tales of Eternia being the PSP game) so there seems to be some credibilty behind the rumor...

jarrod

Banned
Takuan said:
Neat, I like what I see. It's coming over to North America, right?
Wrong... so far anyway, neither are getting US releases. :/

Rebirth seems unlikely as it's a niche 2D RPG (though who knows, Namco Hometek seems to be taking risks again with stuff like Katamari Damacy and Pac-Pix) and Symphonia PS2 will probably have to wait for the GC exclusivity period to end (maybe a year or more)...

Bebpo

Banned
jarrod said:

Rebirth seems unlikely as it's a niche 2D RPG (though who knows, Namco Hometek seems to be taking risks again with stuff like Katamari Damacy and Pac-Pix) and Symphonia PS2 will probably have to wait for the GC exclusivity period to end (maybe a year or more)...

But the main difference between ToR and Katamari is how much work is in the localizing. Katamari Damashii probably isn't a ton of work, whereas all Tales games require an extremely high amount of translation and dub work and the sales of a 2d rpg on PS2 in the US probably won't be able to cover that fee.

jarrod

Banned
Bebpo said:
But the main difference between ToR and Katamari is how much work is in the localizing. Katamari Damashii probably isn't a ton of work, whereas all Tales games require an extremely high amount of translation and dub work and the sales of a 2d rpg on PS2 in the US probably won't be able to cover that fee.
Yeah, it's a longshot at best (though I do think we'll get Eternia on PSP here). If PS2 gets a Tales game here, it'll be Symphonia probably in the 2nd half of 2005...

jarrod said:

Port it to the PSP, combo pack with ToD2. :p It'll never happen but it'd be nice if it did.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Port it to the PSP, combo pack with ToD2. :p It'll never happen but it'd be nice if it did.
I'd take a Rebirth port on PSP. :)

I'd rather get Symphonia most of all though, hopefully the PS2 port is successful enough to get Namco to port it again. Destiny II looked a little lackluster though, and peole I know who've played rank it as one of the worst in the series... truthfully I'm not bothered it didn't make it's way here.

Bebpo

Banned
jarrod said:
I'd take a Rebirth port on PSP. :)

I'd rather get Symphonia most of all though, hopefully the PS2 port is successful enough to get Namco to port it again. Destiny II looked a little lackluster though, and peole I know who've played rank it as one of the worst in the series... truthfully I'm not bothered it didn't make it's way here.

Well Symphonia is definitely the better of the two, but I thought Destiny II Jpn was a still an extremely fun rpg like most of the Tales of... series. The game mainly gets bashed on because the story is kinda like Chrono Trigger except stupider and with more plot holes, yet the characters have a lot of personality and for the most part are quite likeable which makes the journey memorable even if the plot is iffy. The battle engine get flak because it restrains you more (you get serious penalties for jumping behind and enemy and hitting him from the back) but it also has more depth in it's skill system than Symphonia and it has the ability to do magic combos (juggle an enemy off fire 1 into fire 2 into ifrit summon) something I've yet to see in another rpg.

Basically ToDIIJpn has some flaws, maybe even some big flaws, but it does enough things right to still make it a good rpg that's really fun to play. It also has one of the most satisfying rpg endings I've ever seen (45 mins+ with even beautiful murals scrolling through along with the credit roll and amazing anime CG ).

Not getting ToDIIJpn really sucks for US gamers, and most likely not getting ToR will be even worse :( But really if there just isn't a market for 2d rpgs with huge amounts of voice acting in the US, then what would be the other choice? Tell Namco USA to take a loss of a few hundred thousand -> a million+ so a small amount of gamers can play a great game? ^^;;

Top Bottom