• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem |OT| Fly, you fools!

Not specifically. There may be a bit of luck on some of my gear. I have 109 hours played, probably got 20 Legendary in that time, most of them junk.

Most of them I got from gm1 freeplay, though a few have dropped in Tyrant Hive from chests.
How the fuck? Were most of them from before the loot nerf?

Meccs

I don't even have the items for 100+ luck lol ...
Half the time I am in the Launch Bay the contract board doesn't work for me btw.
I have 14 MW items for my Ranger btw, 6 are duplicates. I don't have a single MW grenade... no fun.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
How the fuck? Were most of them from before the loot nerf?

No, I don't think I even hit 30 at that point. Spend 1/3 of your time doing your legendary contracts each day, the next 1/3 grinding Tyrant Hive, the last 1/3 in freeplay, all on GM1 and you'll get legendary drops now and then and plenty of MW.

Meccs Meccs , grind gm1 Tyrant Hive, the guaranteed drop is always an ability. You'll get a grenade sooner or later. Took me forever to get Voltaic Dome. Fortunately flamethrower/shock coil build works better in Tyrant Hive than anywhere else, lol.

Last edited:

Meccs

Lol, I need to test this:

He has two weapons equipped, one is level 1 and the other is the same one in MW quality. It seems the level 1 kills faster than the MW weapon.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels

He has two weapons equipped, one is level 1 and the other is the same one in MW quality. It seems the level 1 kills faster than the MW weapon.

Haha WTF? This is the most amazing bug I’ve ever heard of if true.

Imagine your starting weapon being the most OP item in the game, in a loot game.

^^^holly shit,does this game will ever be able to actually work !!! :) and this is from Bioware,its like they never made an rpg game

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

439.gif

Last edited:
In the end what I get from the new discovery is that we shouldn't be annoying of the endgame loot anymore,who cares about legendaries or masterworks when you can do just fine with a lvl 1 weapon.From the comments there even the lvl 1 abilities are better

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned

It isn't a bug. It is intentional. This is how they let people with disparate levels play together and each feel challenged. The mobs scale to the weapon/ability attacking them.

The quick fix for this is raising the minimum scaling based upon difficulty chosen for the mission/stronghold/contract/freeplay.

Last edited:

Meccs

I just tested it and it works. Funny thing is the first event a MW dropped and it's a weapon. Probably coincidence but maybe not.

It isn't a bug. It is intentional. This is how they let people with disparate levels play together and each feel challenged. The mobs scale to the weapon/ability attacking them.

The quick fix for this is raising the minimum scaling based upon difficulty chosen for the mission/stronghold/contract/freeplay.

Ok so maybe not a bug, but I have a hard time believing it is working as intended, and you yourself recommend a fix. So its broken. Bug, glitch, broken, whatever.

You love defending the game. Good for you

Meccs

I think it's the same with the level 1 abilities. I feel like I am doing way more damage. It's almost like doing combos without combos.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Ok so maybe not a bug, but I have a hard time believing it is working as intended, and you yourself recommend a fix. So its broken. Bug, glitch, broken, whatever.

I'm not defending the game, cupcake, I'm pointing out that Bioware doesn't know wtf they're doing when it comes to crafting a looter/shooter. They're in way over their collective head on this one. That isn't a defense, that is a statement of what would appear to be fact, based upon Anthem.

I'm sure the scaling is working as intended. I'm also sure they never considered, much less tested what would happen if a fully geared character went back to lvl 1 weapons/abilities. That's why there are no numbers on the health/shield bars for enemies. They'd make the scaling painfully obvious.

I tested this in gm1 tyrant, btw. A lvl 1 cloudburst hits for 224 a shot with my other gear and kills an elite hunter faster than a mw endless siege hitting for 3200 a shot. LOL.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels

No, it’s not intentional that level 1 weapon does more damage than a level 35 masterwork in identical circumstances. That’s a bug with the way their scaling system works.

You can get some of this stuff with default loadouts.

But I think this has sapped my interest in the game more than anything. :messenger_tongue:

On to Torchlight Frontiers until Division 2.

Typhares

This is BW response:

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

If I would have known I had the best gear at the start of the game I could have quit playing a lot sooner.

Some people think it's a bug, some people think this is done purposely so gamers with shitty weapons can keep up with leveled up tanks? So what's the point of upgrading gear if the enemies scale even harder?

Stick to turn based RPGs Bioware.

Dunki

Some people think it's a bug, some people think this is done purposely so gamers with shitty weapons can keep up with leveled up tanks? So what's the point of upgrading gear if the enemies scale even harder?

Stick to turn based RPGs Bioware.
NO
Bioware Should never EVER create RPGs anymore. They lost all abilities to design RPG elements. Level scaling in such a game is utterly stupid. Who ever thought of this should be fired and never find a job in this industry again.

Imagine your starting weapon being the most OP item in the game, in a loot game.
Maybe that is the point of Anthem.

For once in a game, you start as the most powerful you'll ever be and by the time you finish the game, your character is the weakest ever.

Reverse psychological creative genius.

Last edited:

ShdwDrake

Banned
The mobs scale to the weapon/ability attacking them.

I thought the game was just technically broken and the design would just need a bit of work... it sounds like the entire design is shit. I understand why they did this... its ridiculous tho I could buy a premade system and it would be better.

pel

Neo Member
They just ignored all the question about CPU usage/poor PC performance on todays livestream.

Woo-Fu

Banned
No, it’s not intentional that level 1 weapon does more damage than a level 35 masterwork in identical circumstances. That’s a bug with the way their scaling system works.

It isn't doing more damage. The target has less armor/shield because you're attacking it with a level 1 gun/ability.

Level 1 cloudburst does ~224 damage per hit, MW Endless Siege doing ~3200 damage per hit(with the rest of my gear). The siege is doing more damage, the problem is that the mob scaling gives the target a lot more shield/armor when attacking with a lvl 45 gun/ability than with a lvl 1.

The numbers you see are real. The numbers you don't see are changing as you switch levels of weapon/ability. Which is exactly why you're not shown those numbers.

This is exactly what I'd expect with the type of scaling they've implemented. Just a matter of tweaking the curve. Is basically a graph with weapon/ability level on one axis, mob shield/armor on the other. One graph per difficulty level, with some mobs having individual modifiers.

Or I could be wrong. :) I suppose another way to do this is behind the scenes instead of having raw damage numbers have percentage-based damage. That way nothing with the mobs is changing on the fly. Gun X at level Y does a fixed percentage of damage to mob Z at a given difficulty level and then you stack all the modifiers on top of that. That'd probably be cleaner on the back end but you'd have to change it on the player side so they could have traditional damage numbers to see.

As far as this particular imbalance goes, I would suspect that level 1 weapons aren't intended to have all the modifiers a fully geared player can stack on them, which means they'd need to be a higher percentage of damage for people using them at the appropriate levels to still get the job done. That'd be why they outclass endgame weapons currently when scaled for endgame content.

tldr; lots of theorycrafting based upon limited player experience.

Last edited:

CLBridges

New season started in destiny 2 and after all the bugs, connection issues etc. I will stick Anthem in the "play sometimes" casual category. The gameplay/exploring is good, but everything else is not that good atm. Hope they're able to turn it around.

Psykodad

Banned
So much calculations and discussions about the scaling, while the most simple and logical explanation is that they just reduced the damage dealt as you and your weapons "increase in power" and they just hide this by using fake numbers and smoke n mirrors for a false sense of increased difficulty.

Typhares

In the stream they said it was just UI but people knew they were wrong. Ben finally admitted so.

And finally official post about inscriptions.

Buffing base damage for mastercraft weapons as well as being able to prime titans seems like a big deal.

Also, I hope the bulwark increase is good. I use it as is because muster point isn't practical often and it's a nice "oh, shit" option to res a squadmate.

They just ignored all the question about CPU usage/poor PC performance on todays livestream.

Really? Fuck them then. My gf’s 1070ti is sitting there with 30% usage staring at 40fps because het 6 core 4ghz cpu is running 100% the whole time :messenger_neutral:. Pre day 1 patch she was locked 60. And the don’t even want to acknowledge it?!?

Meccs

The biggest takeaway from the stream was when they talked about new content and then he said this:

"The roadmap is just a goal, not a promise."

Really? Fuck them then. My gf’s 1070ti is sitting there with 30% usage staring at 40fps because het 6 core 4ghz cpu is running 100% the whole time :messenger_neutral:. Pre day 1 patch she was locked 60. And the don’t even want to acknowledge it?!?
I think I've read on twitter that its because of Origins,and you can find the fix online

Meccs

This damage bug makes Tyrant Mine actually bearable for me. I am exploiting the shit out of it currently and so does everyone else. Of course I still get shit drops but that was expected.

I think I've read on twitter that its because of Origins,and you can find the fix online

Thanks, but yah the fix is to disable Origin In-game. She has been using it for a while now, it didn't make a huge difference. Still not at the performance pre day 1 patch

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Down timer is going to backfire on the people complaining about being downed. Instead of making it a priority to get them back up I'll just keep fighting.

It should have launched just like Destiny and Division. Every time you flip your level, get a loot box. Or in this case coins.

As for the timer, I think most people will still res particularly for their squadmates that are contributing and just get in a bad spot.

Top Bottom