• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any advice for someone going to live in rainforest?

keraj37

Does anyone of you have experience in living in rainforest?
I am going to spend at least a year in South American jungle - like the very center of it, so it is raining for 10 months and dry season is for 2 months.
What advice would you give to me?
I would appreciate real advises, tips & tricks.

Cheers

ruvikx

Banned
I would appreciate real advises, tips & tricks.

Cheers

tenor.gif

longdi

Banned
Is this a bad joke thread? I doubt you get good answers here.
That said, i lived in a rain forest for a week, it was not comfortable and we were looking forward to end the exercise.
The experience when waking up on top of a high knoll, enjoying the morning air and misty view, underwear soaked while having a hot cup of coffee on a steel mug with your buddies, was memorable.

Last edited:

keraj37

Is this a bad joke thread? I doubt you get good answers here.
That said, i lived in a rain forest for a week, it was not comfortable and we were looking forward to end the exercise.
The experience when waking up on top of a high knoll, enjoying the morning air and misty view, underwear soaked while having a hot cup of coffee on a steel mug with your buddies, was memorable.

It is not.
That is what I thought (no good answers here) but I tried anyway my luck.
Where did you spent this week?

Mihos

shower twice a day and check your shoes before you put them on.

Get vaccinated. A bug bite can be fatal. If you are in the bush, look into a a satalite phone with no contracts

Last edited:

DadEggs

those pants that zip into shorts are prob a good idea. lightweight. dry fast. full leg cover. can be used as bathing suit. can sleep in. etc etc.

head net and mosquito nets for bed seems logical.

I would get some permethrin concentrate and rub everything you own down with it.

pack a few bottles of high concentrate deet too. (really good for leech removal, one spray they fall right off)

solid boots/trail shoes - not too heavy but plenty of ankle support.

quick drying / moisture wicking socks (this goes for all clothing, jsut google for what clothes you need, pack for warmth too. fleece etc. all waterproof/repellant etc. you get the idea)

some of those micro towels that are SUPER DUPER absorbant

a super stocked first aid kit ( do your own research for that ) even if you dont know how to sew or do stitches, bring some suture stuff/atleast sewing kit.

plenty of authentic duct tape - many people create a spare mini roll around their nalgenes, and unwrap as needed.

few hundred yards of strong fishing line and plenty of hooks.

firestarter - ie. a ferrorod

a versatile and legit knife ( and smaller pocketknife version) - no made in china/taiwan/etc shit.

headlamp

waterproof watch

obviously your large internal frame backpack

daypack

carribeeners maybe

spare charger/batteries

lots of ziplock bags - essentially pack away everything into large ziplocks in your backpack. bring extra.

keep maps and VIP documents laminated or in ziplocks as well/never remove ( hence why laminating maps even if DIY, is good idea)

some type of sneaker/closed toed sandle/watershoe

some wire

gaiters might be a smart idea - ive never use din rainforest, but they legit did a very sufficient job of keep me/my feet/boots dry during rivercrossings and snow hiking.

a couple bandanas

a compass - learn to use one before you go.

didnt write the obvious stuff like waterbottles/sleepingbag/etc.

*note: ive never been to south american jungle

Last edited:

keraj37

shower twice a day and check your shoes before you put them on.

Get vaccinated. A bug bite can be fatal. If you are in the bush, look into a a satalite phone with no contracts

Thanks!

those pants that zip into shorts are prob a good idea. lightweight. dry fast. full leg cover. can be used as bathing suit. can sleep in. etc etc.

head net and mosquito nets for bed seems logical.

I would get some permethrin concentrate and rub everything you own down with it.

pack a few bottles of high concentrate deet too. (really good for leech removal, one spray they fall right off)

solid boots/trail shoes - not too heavy but plenty of ankle support.

quick drying / moisture wicking socks (this goes for all clothing, jsut google for what clothes you need, pack for warmth too. fleece etc. all waterproof/repellant etc. you get the idea)

some of those micro towels that are SUPER DUPER absorbant

a super stocked first aid kit ( do your own research for that ) even if you dont know how to sew or do stitches, bring some suture stuff/atleast sewing kit.

plenty of authentic duct tape - many people create a spare mini roll around their nalgenes, and unwrap as needed.

few hundred yards of strong fishing line and plenty of hooks.

firestarter - ie. a ferrorod

a versatile and legit knife ( and smaller pocketknife version) - no made in china/taiwan/etc shit.

headlamp

waterproof watch

obviously your large internal frame backpack

daypack

carribeeners maybe

spare charger/batteries

lots of ziplock bags - essentially pack away everything into large ziplocks in your backpack. bring extra.

keep maps and VIP documents laminated or in ziplocks as well/never remove ( hence why laminating maps even if DIY, is good idea)

some type of sneaker/closed toed sandle/watershoe

some wire

gaiters might be a smart idea - ive never use din rainforest, but they legit did a very sufficient job of keep me/my feet/boots dry during rivercrossings and snow hiking.

a couple bandanas

a compass - learn to use one before you go.

didnt write the obvious stuff like waterbottles/sleepingbag/etc.

*note: ive never been to south american jungle

Really serious load of tips. Are you military guy?

DadEggs

Thanks!

Really serious load of tips. Are you military guy?

hahah no. ive just done my fair share of backpacking and traveling. i've never been in the amazonian back country, but have done long hiking trips in temperate rain forests of the US and tropical rain forests in asia. - figured this stuff is the most useful.... granted i dont know what your situation will be like, maybe youll have more amenities than i'm imagining.

keraj37

Don’t do it. Why give up all this great stuff to have the clouds piss on you constantly?

Good point. But I just need to do it, there is no way I quit this idea.

I got my expensive flight tickets already paid etc, you know.

Last edited:

quickwhips

Good point. But I just need to do it, there is no way I quit this idea.

I got my expensive flight tickets already paid etc, you know.
Well then much respect but I’ve just never had the desire to live harder than I had to. Life is tough enough sometimes. Good luck!

Last edited:

Pejo

Make sure you're up to date on vaccines and shots that you need in that environment. Bring enough medication to at least get you by, including antibiotics and painkillers. Take a journal and a few cameras (maybe even some disposable ones that don't rely on battery life?)

I personally would never do what you're doing, but I bet it'll be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Don't.

The rainforest is a delicate ecosystem and quite frankly, it doesn't need someone who has no idea what they are doing in it.

If you are still intent on doing this silly idea - ensure you have no diseases that can cause a cascade effect through the environment. Don't bring items that put out volatile organic compounds, and focus on using the forest only for what you need. Don't take more than that and don't leave a bunch of garbage.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm extremely reckless and live for adventure and all, but this just sounds foolish. To each his own though. How prepared are you to die miserably and slowly in the bush, OP? Tips and tricks wtf. Phew. If you're intent on committing to this, take preparation as seriously as possible, especially medical health (vaccines, antibiotics, anything else recommended by travel physicians for the region), first aid (be able to do everything you need to on your own), sanitation, hygiene, sterilized drinking water and food procurement. Do you have reputable local contacts? How often are you going to be checking in with the outside world?

Have a plan and know what you're getting into.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
A year? Shouldn't you do a few test runs? A few days at first, then a week, maybe even a month before you commit?

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
A year? Shouldn't you do a few test runs? A few days at first, then a week, maybe even a month before you commit?

Clearly they know what they are doing. They probably read like two National Geographic articles! That is all you need to survive in one of the most deadly places in the world for a full year.

God Enel

so it is raining for 10 months and dry season is for 2 months.Cheers

Still less rain than in Germany :messenger_neutral:I’m also curious what your plan is? I wish you the best for your trip and want to know what happened during your stay. Hope your GoPro has enough of battery and you gigabytes on SD cards to document all of it. I’m honestly excited to hear how it was.

keraj37

Curious why you want to do this? What do you hope to gain from it?
Still less rain than in Germany :messenger_neutral:I’m also curious what your plan is? I wish you the best for your trip and want to know what happened during your stay. Hope your GoPro has enough of battery and you gigabytes on SD cards to document all of it. I’m honestly excited to hear how it was.

I want to test myself and gain total idependance from toxic western electronic device based culture.

I'm extremely reckless and live for adventure and all, but this just sounds foolish. To each his own though. How prepared are you to die miserably and slowly in the bush, OP? Tips and tricks wtf. Phew. If you're intent on committing to this, take preparation as seriously as possible, especially medical health (vaccines, antibiotics, anything else recommended by travel physicians for the region), first aid (be able to do everything you need to on your own), sanitation, hygiene, sterilized drinking water and food procurement. Do you have reputable local contacts? How often are you going to be checking in with the outside world?

Have a plan and know what you're getting into.

Thanks, actually you made me think twice. However I am not afraid of dying, no matter how strange it may sound to some people.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
If you're sick of toxic western electronic device based culture, there are so many alternatives to this idea that won't end with your junk rotting off while you're covered in leeches. Go on a camping trip to a National Park, or trek the Appalachian Trail, or trek to the Everest base camp in Nepal and broaden your cultural horizons. I met a guy who solo bicycled from Mongolia through India winging it on no money and had an amazing journey full of great stories.

Lanrutcon

How's the mosquito danger over there? Bugs always get the unprepared. I've spent a lot of time in Malaria country.

hecatomb

Banned
I think that's the point, from what i've read.
There are tons of places OP could go where his life wouldn't be at risk, and still be electronics-free. This sounds like a suicide trip.
there are plenty of other places you can live as a hermit, theres hermits that have lived in caves, or mountains in cabins.

Also the rainforest is known for having Jaguars, and Jaguars are known for killing people and like eating people. Then if you fall into a pond you have a chance of getting torn to pieces from piranhas. Or die from a Electric eel

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
If you’re doing this you are woefully unprepared, asking people on a forum is comical really. I was in the Army in the 80s and had to go to jungle survival school in Honduras for 3 weeks. There is just so much there that can kill you and maim you, it’s teeming with life in a way that is hard to comprehend until you are in it. It’s amazing, but I can’t stress enough how dangerous it is.

iconmaster

Banned
If you’re doing this you are woefully unprepared, asking people on a forum is comical really. I was in the Army in the 80s and had to go to jungle survival school in Honduras for 3 weeks. There is just so much there that can kill you and maim you, it’s teeming with life in a way that is hard to comprehend until you are in it. It’s amazing, but I can’t stress enough how dangerous it is.

tenor.gif

Pagusas

Elden Member
After reading through this, I’ve come to the conclusion that this is just darwinism at work. Just let nature (literally) take its course.

lock2k

Banned
Even I, who lived in Brazil my whole life, never set foot in the jungle. lol

Love cities and beaches. Jungle is out.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I did a lot of extreme cold weather training in Alaska while in the service myself. Your average person nowadays is completely unprepared for actual survival. Going into the rainforest at this point seems like straight up suicide. Even most Brazilians will never set foot in it.

highrider

Banned
I did a lot of extreme cold weather training in Alaska while in the service myself. Your average person nowadays is completely unprepared for actual survival. Going into the rainforest at this point seems like straight up suicide. Even most Brazilians will never set foot in it.

Even with experience it’s survival man. It ain’t tiddlywinks man! Lol

Top Bottom