• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any advice for someone going to live in rainforest?

keraj37

So just an update. I am stuck at Paris as a guy who checks vaccination discovered that my yellow fever is not mature - six more days which I will stay at hotel.

I hope to post some pictures of forest and my shelter once I got there.

DadEggs

So just an update. I am stuck at Paris as a guy who checks vaccination discovered that my yellow fever is not mature - six more days which I will stay at hotel.

im ready for this ride.

keep updating please.

Chittagong

I can’t adequately express how excited I am to follow this journey

Raven117

OP, have you seen Into The Wild? Because this feels alot like the beginning of that.

Will you have a guide?

Judging from your post, it does not sound like you are respecting what you are about to do and the forest. There are other meaningful ways to unplug from Western Society that will not put you in AS much danger. Northern India, Mongolia, Nepal, can all help you with this...(these are not risk free mind you).

Ill echo what some other folks have said in here. I have spent a considerable amount of time in the bush in Africa and some time in extreme cold (Alaska, and high altitudes). The number of ways things can kill you is incomprehensible. Not that it cant be managed, but not slowly growing into this is more than likely a long form suicide.

Just chomping off into the rainforest by yourself is frankly immature and foolish.

Edit: Stay in Paris....Walk the camino de santiago.

Last edited:

keraj37

OP, have you seen Into The Wild? Because this feels alot like the beginning of that.

Will you have a guide?

Judging from your post, it does not sound like you are respecting what you are about to do and the forest. There are other meaningful ways to unplug from Western Society that will not put you in AS much danger. Northern India, Mongolia, Nepal, can all help you with this...(these are not risk free mind you).

Ill echo what some other folks have said in here. I have spent a considerable amount of time in the bush in Africa and some time in extreme cold (Alaska, and high altitudes). The number of ways things can kill you is incomprehensible. Not that it cant be managed, but not slowly growing into this is more than likely a long form suicide.

Just chomping off into the rainforest by yourself is frankly immature and foolish.

Edit: Stay in Paris....Walk the camino de santiago.

I did live as homeless for a while due to my gambling addiction. I learned that human can adopt to any circumstances as even I did.

I have lots of respect to forest and its wild life dwelling in it.

LMJ

I'm sure someone's already mentioned it, but I would highly recommend reading up on the local flora and fauna not to mention some of the most common species you'll run into.

That and I would also recommend bringing an epi-pen in case you run into a poisonous or venomous creature that you're not prepared for, could save your life.

Liljagare

Yeh, apart from all the poisonius thing, don't forget all the different fungus that can start growing on you if you are unable to stay dry, and all the things with teeth and claws.

Prison Mike

Banned
I did live as homeless for a while due to my gambling addiction. I learned that human can adopt to any circumstances as even I did.

Unless you lived homeless in a area where you are literally the bottom of the food chain ... a buffet with legs id seriously rethink this

-Minsc-

If your dead set on doing this then here's my advice. Talk to a lot of people who have also gone at it solo in the rainforest and learn from them.

The best to you. Leave as much information of your whereabouts as possible.

bitbydeath

There is plenty of fruits in amazon jungle. And I will prefer fishing.

The fruits are poisonous.
The fish will also try kill you.

Sounds like a bad idea OP.
You should try an adventure at sea, command a ship, buy a parrot to join you.

Still a chance of dying but with less pain.

...don't?

As much as I can/do follow the hippie lifestyle logic, a world without Nintendo would be sad, and I'm glad I don't live there.

Last edited:

Raven117

I’m sorry to hear of your troubles.

Adapting to struggles in an urban environment are not the same as the rainforest.

Are you sure you aren’t just gambling your life?

And no. I don’t think you do. (I don’t know you, so that’s just a guess). Someone with respect would not just go stomping off in the jungle. Study, research. Time spent with others who have been there a while shows respect for its power. You just think it’s cool.

In any event, know that I’m posting only because I don’t want anything bad to happen to you. You are obviously working through things. Do so, but perhaps not gamble your life away in the process to force some enlightenment.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Hey, Keraj. Give this a watch, might give you a bit of insight. It talks primarily about Pacific jungles but I am sure the information in this video will be useful in almost any jungle environment.

Would be nice if you gave us your GPS coordinates once you are set up in case of an emergency so someone from Brazil can call you help or something.

keraj37

So I arrived at my destination. Just walking around made me so tired. It is so hot here. Never ending summer.

I bought machete and hamack here.

I wont lie - the forest looks inacesible.
20190222-125919.jpg

20190222-084731.jpg

20190222-082209.jpg

mcz117chief

Nice update! I’m rooting for you bro
Yeah, me too. I just hope you will have enough common sense that in case something bad happens or if you will feel ill you will seek medical help. In any case, good luck.

Also, can you give us your GPS coordinates so we can see where you are?

Liljagare

I don't think you understand what you are getting yourself into. Living as a homeless person in a urban enviroment is like the total opposite of living in a wild forest, be it a jungle, borreal or arctic one.

Hope you atleast have basic survival training. :eek:

Parasites alone will kill you if you aren't knowledgable about them. And again, fungus will totally tear your skin apart in hotter humid climates, yeast will slouch your skin off your feet if you don't deal with it.

I am not saying that you can't do it, but one wrong step, and you better have the best health insurance in the world. :\ Atleast be smart and hook up with some locals that know the area and can show you what to do/not to do. And allow your body 3 weeks to adjust to the climate before you wander off on your own.

Will follow this thread with interest, it like naked and afraid without screening, or a Ed Stafford kinda thing. I lived in forests all my life, and grew up as a wildling out and about, but even I wouldn't do this sort of thing, on a whim.

Last edited:

Chittagong

So I arrived at my destination. Just walking around made me so tired. It is so hot here. Never ending summer.

I bought machete and hamack here.

I wont lie - the forest looks inacesible.
20190222-125919.jpg

20190222-084731.jpg

20190222-082209.jpg

Posting in a legendary thread now

Good luck man, keep us posted on how it goes.

Domisto

Holy shit. We're actually gonna get updates on your imminent death. :messenger_fearful:

Have a few margaritas on the beach and get the flight back next week.

Holgren

The guy brought a hammock but not a tent nor a lamp. I just.... Is this some masterful trolling we are seeing here or is it truly a hard-headed person updating his way to death? Thank god you didn't come to South America if this is the level of preparation you think is necessary to survive.

All of this truly saddens me. I hope that somehow through this trip you solve whatever is bothering you in your life and you reintegrate into society.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The guy brought a hammock but not a tent nor a lamp. I just.... Is this some masterful trolling we are seeing here or is it truly a hard-headed person updating his way to death? Thank god you didn't come to South America if this is the level of preparation you think is necessary to survive.

All of this truly saddens me. I hope that somehow through this trip you solve whatever is bothering you in your life and you reintegrate into society.

French Guiana is in South America.

So if you run into the more dangerous cats in the rainforest throw a rock at them but make sure it lands in front of them so they won't know it came from your direction. Then if they turn around throw a rock in the air and catch it. They will think you stopped another rock from hitting them and will generally leave you alone. Sometimes they may approach you in a friendly manner so just do small movements to not seem aggressive and if they go right up to you you might be able to pet them (if you know how to pet cats which is not the same as dogs) but otherwise don't do any reaching if they are still feet away from you.

This makes living in the rainforest a lot easier as you won't have to worry about wildlife. Well most of them, make sure your in an elevated areas so you're not at sea level, the Alligators generally stay away from high elevation.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Op can you list an inventory of the items you brought for this journey?

I really hope you brought some antibiotics

OP wants to live in the rain forest to "gain total idependance from toxic western electronic device based culture".
Arrives at destination, takes a selfie and posts it on the internet.

Lanrutcon

I'm curious as to how the OP is going to feed himself and secure drinkable water.

Edit: Looking at that jungle, I'd have chosen a different environment for this kind of exercise. Woods? sure. Bushveld? sure. Jungle? You're going to die from some kind of pest or disease.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

So, do you guys think he is living the high-life in the jungle or...

Right now he's bundled up in a cocoon hanging from the roof of a long forgotten cavern underneath the South American jungle. He's struggling in vain against the sticky threads that hold him. All around him hang the remains of westerners who felt the call of the jungle, their bone sacks serving as a grim reminder that there are dark corners of the world where man does not rule supreme.

As his eight-legged captor returns, he starts crying softly into his folded hammock.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Right now he's bundled up in a cocoon hanging from the roof of a long forgotten cavern underneath the South American jungle. He's struggling in vain against the sticky threads that hold him. All around him hang the remains of westerners who felt the call of the jungle, their bone sacks serving as a grim reminder that there are dark corners of the world where man does not rule supreme.

As his eight-legged captor returns, he starts crying softly into his folded hammock.

Maybe he'll roll natural 20 and get out of his cocoon then proceed to kill the giant spider with his machete and go on a killing spree across the entire cavern leveling up in the process. Near the entrance of the cave he finds a fresh cocoon containing a beautiful Elven ranger. He cuts her out and together they begin their adventurer high-life, slaying monsters and, unbeknownst to us, saving the world from an ancient evil which stirs deep underneath the jungle. A year later, he will return to us as a lvl 20 boss-man with trophies made of daemons and other ancient terrors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom