• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any gun owners lurking...

So I want to start competing in 3 gun and I'm having a bit of trouble choosing my AR optics. I'm going to run a Colt LE5920MPS-B with a reflex sight - either an EOTech XPS-2 or Leupold DeltaPoint Pro. I can get the Leupold for about $75 cheaper but I can't find any comparison between the two really and I've never owned a reflex sight before. I'll also be throwing a magnifier on it for longer distances since 3 gun will still consider it as a single optic.

Also, does anyone know if I can run irons cowitnessed with reflex sights under 3 gun?

despire

Related but I think I'm going with a low powered variable optic. I know a reflex sight is faster in small distances but I also need the option to shoot far. I also need accuracy at distance since I'm going to use the AR for hunting. Going to get the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8.

I was looking at one of those but a guy I was talking to at the local shop showed me a 1-4x magnifier that flips down in front of the reflex sight that seems like it will fit the bill perfectly. My local ranges don't tend to have long distances for 3 guns - 100 yards max apparently so I could even get by with iron sights I would imagine.

Since I'm apparently in the "suggestions please" mood today, can anyone recommend a case trimmer that won't destroy my hands? I have been using the lee manual case trimmer for years but I'm staring at components for 1000 223 rounds and that is the only part of the process that still makes me groan.

Goofalo

So I want to start competing in 3 gun and I'm having a bit of trouble choosing my AR optics. I'm going to run a Colt LE5920MPS-B with a reflex sight - either an EOTech XPS-2 or Leupold DeltaPoint Pro. I can get the Leupold for about $75 cheaper but I can't find any comparison between the two really and I've never owned a reflex sight before. I'll also be throwing a magnifier on it for longer distances since 3 gun will still consider it as a single optic.

Also, does anyone know if I can run irons cowitnessed with reflex sights under 3 gun?

I just went to a 3 gun comp, as that is what I'm interested in getting into as well. Running just a red dot or irons, gets you into the limited division. When you put a magnifier on it, you jump into the Tactical Optics division. The magnification is what is going to change you division, not the reflex or red dot.

Related but I think I'm going with a low powered variable optic. I know a reflex sight is faster in small distances but I also need the option to shoot far. I also need accuracy at distance since I'm going to use the AR for hunting. Going to get the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8.

I have the Vortex Strike Eagle 1 -6, and if you mount the right distance, I have no problems using the reticle to acquire close targets. It's not true 1:1, more like 1:1.1, but it works fine.

LiamA

As far as variables go, the Steiner P4Xi shouldn't be overlooked. It only goes up to 4x, but I really like the simple holdover reticle. It's definitely daytime bright and feels a lot like a red dot at 1x.

In other news, I bought an EOTech G33 magnifier to play around with:

kbmkPbO.jpg

The glass quality is amazing and the mount it comes with is very, very good. Glass quality is critical with a magnifier as you will be stacking up a bunch of layers of glass. I am digging the magnifier + T2 combo.

The pictured rifle is in .300 BLK. Would make a fine deer rifle, no?

Chorazin

6zTcOurl.jpg

So I finally got around to grabbing a red dot sight for my AR. I just didn't want to pay a ton money for my secondary "fun" gun, so I've been procrastinating on it.

Then I saw a post in one of my FB groups about the Fieldsport Micro Red Dot, that went for around $20 on Amazon. I thought, no fucking way is this gonna be any good, but I saw video after video on YouTube of dudes torturing this thing and it never skipping a beat. I figured, for $20 and $7 for the UTG riser what the hell. Got it in the mail and it's built solid as hell, the dot has 11 brightness settings, and feels way more premium than $20.

Adjusted it to "zero" with my irons as co-witness and I'm looking forward to taking it to the range this week to dial it in and put it to work!

Bandit1

Well I pulled the uh, trigger (pun intended) on the Walther PPQ 5". Couldn't pass up the $100 rebate. Should be in early next week, can't wait!

Goofalo

6zTcOurl.jpg

So I finally got around to grabbing a red dot sight for my AR. I just didn't want to pay a ton money for my secondary "fun" gun, so I've been procrastinating on it.

Then I saw a post in one of my FB groups about the Fieldsport Micro Red Dot, that went for around $20 on Amazon. I thought, no fucking way is this gonna be any good, but I saw video after video on YouTube of dudes torturing this thing and it never skipping a beat. I figured, for $20 and $7 for the UTG riser what the hell. Got it in the mail and it's built solid as hell, the dot has 11 brightness settings, and feels way more premium than $20.

Adjusted it to "zero" with my irons as co-witness and I'm looking forward to taking it to the range this week to dial it in and put it to work!

My understanding is that the red only version is solid. But the red/green is airsoft garbage. I play some very involved airsoft, I'm thinking about mounting all my various optics and seeing if one isn't halfway decent.

Chorazin

My understanding is that the red only version is solid. But the red/green is airsoft garbage. I play some very involved airsoft, I'm thinking about mounting all my various optics and seeing if one isn't halfway decent.

Yup, I got the red only model. I got to the range last night and it definitely seemed like it was gonna work out great. I didn't fully get to zero it since I showed up to the range kinda late. Really, really stoked about it for being so cheap.

If I had to use it right now, it would be close enough!

Goofalo

I sat and listened to this guy at the range talk about how I needed self-defense ammo for my AR. This makes no sense to me. I have ball and green tip 5.56 at home in my "self defense" magazines. What could possibly occur at over 3000 FPS that would make a round "self-defense" 5.56?

I understand that my 9mm defense rounds will separate on impact and create a much larger wound channel. But aren't the rifle rounds moving so fast that it won't even matter?

Chorazin

I sat and listened to this guy at the range talk about how I needed self-defense ammo for my AR. This makes no sense to me. I have ball and green tip 5.56 at home in my "self defense" magazines. What could possibly occur at over 3000 FPS that would make a round "self-defense" 5.56?

I understand that my 9mm defense rounds will separate on impact and create a much larger wound channel. But aren't the rifle rounds moving so fast that it won't even matter?

You're right, he's trying to sell you bullshit more expensive ammo. What you got is gonna work fine if you'd ever need to use it.

LiamA

There's definitely a difference between bullets that expand/fragment and those that pass through with little deformation. Yeah, you're not likely to ever need the defensive stuff, but there's a tremendous difference in what happens to the thing you're shooting.

A lot of 5.56mm detractors for military service will point out how minor the wounds can be if the bullets drop below reliable fragmentation velocity. Obviously, that isn't really an issue inside a house.

In the context of home defense, self defense ammo is less likely penetrate all the walls of your house. Not a bad thing. Green tips don't reliably fragment and that could potentially be an issue. M193 ball is a little better about fragmenting. Of course, this is all hypothetical,

Bandit1

5" PPQ came in today, quick pic with the factory target @ 15m:

35347261144_7d644d9d78_c.jpg

Might be a few days before I get a chance to shoot it but it feels great in the hand and the trigger certainly lives up to the hype! :D

hwalker84

5" PPQ came in today, quick pic with the factory target @ 15m:

35347261144_7d644d9d78_c.jpg

Might be a few days before I get a chance to shoot it but it feels great in the hand and the trigger certainly lives up to the hype! :D

Pure sex. The PPQ is up there as one of the best guns in my arsenal.

Bandit1

Pure sex. The PPQ is up there as one of the best guns in my arsenal.

Got a chance to shoot it today, put two mags through it. I rigged up a cheap target (a sheet of printer paper that I drew a target on) and with the first mag I'm pretty sure I put six rounds in this ragged hole about 3/4 of an inch to the left of the center of my target at 10 yards out. Not bad for the first time. Really couldn't be happier with the gun. Very accurate, and as I said before, excellent ergonomics and trigger.

Side by side of my PPS and PPQ for comparison:
35425427093_6434507c4d_c.jpg

And my favorite angle of the gun:
36190192986_0b0f0ecfee_c.jpg

Turns out Walther is actually doing away with the ports on the 5" model. Bought this gun through gunbuyer.com for $557 before the $100 rebate and by the time the gun got to my FFL the ported 5" was out of stock.

blackflag

the only thing id say is sd ammo shouldnt penetrate as much and may cause less damage to your home but yeah the only expensive AR ammo i buy is match ammo for shooting long range not self defense.

Goofalo

Range day on Monday. Gonna stretch the AR at 300 yards and see what I can hit. I don't really feel I'll be going for anything beyond that.

I find myself itching to buy another couple of guns just to have them and they tickle my fancy. It seems so silly, as they are just basically another 9mm pistol and 5.56 rifle.

Forsete

Got my new scope, Nightforce SHV 4x14x50 F1 MRAD. Very happy with it.

zsjioZZ.jpg

36034270382_546c8b0a32_h.jpg

Took it to the range for the first time to shoot at 300 meters, only the fourth time I have shot at that distance.

My best score was 48 points out of 50 (10-1, 10, 10, 9, 9) with a spread of 5x7 cm. I am very happy with that. :)

It is a huge step up from the Leupold VX3 I had before which was in MOA.

Goofalo

My best friend has the P320, full size. I've disassembled it and it's easy enough. It's just popping in the trigger to a new frame. Or new frame, slide and barrel depending if you are switching lengths. Frames are like $45 if I recall? But, I think if you need to do the whole shebang, like take it from a 5" to a 4", so full to compact, it's gonna be like $400 for all the parts?

That's pretty much a new pistol. But, you don't have to register a new firearm, so there's that.

Grats dude. That's was my first gun too. Recently traded it in tho.

Apex trigger was nice but that grays guns drop in trigger is nicer.

Same here on both counts. I just bought another one in full size, just like the first time, but something about it feels much nicer than the first one I had. Maybe I missed it? I'm waiting on Sig to send me my replacement carry frame, I love the way the full size slide looks on a compact or carry frame, it reminds me of my P226 in a great way.

So is the Gray Guns trigger for the P320 on the same level as the one for the P226? If so, count me way in. My 1987 West German is a much nicer firing pistol than even a Legion, plus I get to say I did it all myself.

Goofalo

The couple next to me at the 300 yard range scared me. Didn't know how to clear double feeds in their AR, didn't know how to use their scope, shooting the dirt, shooting my target, ricocheting and causing bullets to keyhole into my target.

Scary.

RedRum

Banned
The couple next to me at the 300 yard range scared me. Didn't know how to clear double feeds in their AR, didn't know how to use their scope, shooting the dirt, shooting my target, ricocheting and causing bullets to keyhole into my target.

Scary.

Recipe for disaster.

Piggus

The place I normally get bulk ammo (SGAmmo) was selling Golden Tiger 7.62x39 at a loss to clear some stock. Ordered a 1000 round case for less than 20 cents/round. :D

Piggus

God damn that's a lot of AR mags. I bought a bunch to scalp after Hillary's inevitable victory. So much for that...

Anyway, Golden Tiger AK ammo arrived. Is there anything more beautiful than an ammo can packed to full capacity?

sAPFcS3.png

Goofalo

Man, I'm thinking about getting an AK.

If only just to have it to shoot cheap ammo.

It's pretty easy to pick up AR mags, they more or less give away the Gen 2 Magpuls, or MOE Magpul magazines nowadays. Which is great if you have a standard configuration AR. I think I have 18 AR mags? Magpuls and Lancers, and one weird metal 20 rounder.

blackflag

OK. Lets try this again. (fuck Photobucket).

Went out on Saturday and picked myself up a Century Arms N-PAP M70 AK47. Dropped drastically in price over the last few month. Out the door with an extra 30rd. Magpul mag , and 80rds. of ammo +tax was $621.44. Bonus shot of my cat getting to know it also my current collection. (Some of my shield mags got cut off)

That sounds like a great price. I have to cool it for awhile but I want a 7.62.

despire

I have the 1-6. I love it.

What mount are you using?

I ordered the regular Vortex Cantilever mount with a 2" offset. It was the cheapest good quality one I could find. Also a Vortex scope needs a Vortex mount imo :D

FedEx should be delivering them today. Gonna install them next week and then hopefully hit the range not soon after :)

Btw does anyone else know this DIY trick for a cheap throw lever? Those things are so expensive (at least in Europe) but so necessary though.. These things are cheap and should work just fine. Got one waiting for installing to the Vortex scope.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nO6DUKtwC2U

Goofalo

Anyone have any insight on pepper spray guns? Would it be better to just get some pepper spray?

I'm not really in a position to roam around with a real firearm,, but I may need something that I can carry around for protection.

Edit:

Mace pepper gun looks reliable and can reach a decent distance.

https://www.amazon.com/Mace-Brand-Pepper-Spray-Gun/product-reviews/B004YWKF8C

1. How are you going to carry it? In your pocket? Tucked inside your waistband or in a bag/purse? Deployment is going to matter a lot in self-defense. If someone means to do you harm, it should be something you can easily use to deter an attacker. Not something you might have to search for.

2. Escalation issues. That looks like a gun. Sometimes, people just want to jack you and not hurt you. But, even in the course of defending yourself, that can ramp things up. If I'm going to pull a gun shaped thing on someone, I would rather it actually be a gun. But you said that it's not an option.

3. I find self-defense, in my experience is more of a state of mind with situational awareness. Not being in bad places at bad times, not calling attention to yourself as a potential victim. But, I don't know your life, so you might be in a situation where you can't avoid some sketchiness.

If it were up to me, I would not choose something that looks like a gun. I would either carry something I can semi-conceal in my hand and deploy instantly. Or something like a folding karambit that open when you deploy it from your pocket.

To be honest, I don't even carry my gun with me all the time going out, because I sometimes don't even want to deal with all the stuff that can happen if I draw a handgun. But, I also am more comfortable using something like Brazilian Jiujitsu, because I can actually go up against another person several times a week and train it out. I don't have the opportunity to do practical pistol training. And I'm pretty sure, that I would not grapple anyone if I was carrying concealed, I don't want someone that close to me if I was carrying.

Top Bottom