• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex Legends |OT| Have you seen Titanfall 3?

TeamGhobad

Banned
So i never touched BR before and now im hooked, won 7 matches so far, need 2 more wins with Kaustic and Wraith and I unlock the apex legends achievement.

crafting is taking way too long, i rather they give us the option to buy whatever skin we want directly.

experiencing major framerate drops during battle on xbox one, its annoying.

Graciaus

My two friends convinced me to try it with them yesterday. We were all terrible but it was fun with us together. Tried playing solo a few matches and I would have uninstalled right away if it was my first experience. I am impressed for a free game.

The success of the game will be short lived. It's a reasonably polished BR riding off the foundation of Titanfall 2. Yes we can take a few bullets compared to other games but now it's more about pushing forward and hoping your opponent doesn't have time to collect themselves or at least get the better exchange. The environments themselves don't feel like they offer much protection because it's difficult to coordinate and hold anything. It was a nice change of pace though, only ever enjoyed PUBG myself, Fortnite not for me, but not playing anything else at the moment.

Greedings

I can tell if I’m going to win or lose in the first 10 seconds of the game.

Team mates all drop in random places? Lost before it even starts.
This is literally “stick together: the game”

Last edited:

Iorv3th

I can tell if I’m going to win or lose in the first 10 seconds of the game.

Team mates all drop in random places? Lost before it even starts.
This is literally “stick together: the game”

I like the fall with my team but might go to a different building depending on the size of the building etc. So we don't steal each others loot.

The success of the game will be short lived. It's a reasonably polished BR riding off the foundation of Titanfall 2. Yes we can take a few bullets compared to other games but now it's more about pushing forward and hoping your opponent doesn't have time to collect themselves or at least get the better exchange. The environments themselves don't feel like they offer much protection because it's difficult to coordinate and hold anything. It was a nice change of pace though, only ever enjoyed PUBG myself, Fortnite not for me, but not playing anything else at the moment.

The game just came out. We haven't seen the battle pass or any major balance changes yet. They are adding new legends and weapons.

The battlenonsense video about the networking shows that it needs some work done to it though.

Rygeist

Banned

I hate posts like these. Can you see into the future? They are adding a Battlepass in March. How will this be short lived? So sick of negative nelly's like yourself tbh

CuNi

It's a great game, got me into BR.. the only downside are the ridiculous amount of crashes.. I have a friend that has had more crashes than actual games he got to play...
I had more crashes without error in the last fight phase than one person should have without even having high double digit number of actual games played.
It's a awesome game that gets more unstable the more people play it.. at least that's what it feels like...
I heard RTX 20XX owners have even more issues with this game.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Capping fps in advanced launch options cured my crashes on an amd 580. Not happy playing at 75FPS but it beats crashing every other round.

The RTX 20XX owners need to rollback to an older driver, at least most of them.

The X6 owners need to disable 5tth and 6th cores.

X4 owners are screwed, but then again perhaps they should be, those procs are ancient.

It's a great game, got me into BR.. the only downside are the ridiculous amount of crashes.. I have a friend that has had more crashes than actual games he got to play...
I had more crashes without error in the last fight phase than one person should have without even having high double digit number of actual games played.
It's a awesome game that gets more unstable the more people play it.. at least that's what it feels like...
I heard RTX 20XX owners have even more issues with this game.

it needs a patch for sure but ive only had one crash and played 100+ games, its gotta be build specific

1080ti, 7700k, 16 gb ram. running at 3440x1440 120hz and a good mix of quality in the settings

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Didn’t play for a whole day thanks to Anthem. Jumped in with the boys for two quick games and ended up winning both! The R-99 was made to melt all shields!

Greedings

I like the fall with my team but might go to a different building depending on the size of the building etc. So we don't steal each others loot.

That's not what I mean. I do that do. I mean when people break off and go wherever the hell they want, and try to play solo.

Boss Mog

Solo and Duos can't come soon enough. Playing with 2 friends is an absolute blast but playing alone with randoms is just awful 90% of the time.

I hate posts like these. Can you see into the future? They are adding a Battlepass in March. How will this be short lived? So sick of negative nelly's like yourself tbh

Because there is very little way of controlling the game due to the overall design of the game, maybe the environments especially, but of course also the character abilities and speed. Buildings make things harder instead of easier because of their maze like structures. The characters are extremely uneven with their abilities. Gibraltar is a complete deadweight to your team. I think he might be easier to hit because hitboxes are different sizes? I find Wraith hardest to hit and she also feels like she has more air control for jump shotting with the shotgun. There's no reason not to pick 3 characters with pure offense in mind because the overall game design makes that the only real option.

I watched the networking video by battlenonsense as mentioned and it confirmed my experience. Game is burying some serious lag under the hood with sketchy hit registration around physical objects. Nothing new to the genre of course, I expect that.

Finally I have spent maybe one hour or two over the weeks watching Shroud or Ninja play the game on Twitch. What the gameplay provided them wasn't different to my experience. In short, if you have 3 guys who can melt faces quickly you'll have a pretty good time, but any weakness in our trio and it will begin to become more painful. If you get ganked then it's a serious uphill battle and unfortunately that's not easy to avoid thanks to map size or through some sort of surveillance to see it coming.

My playtime is all PC though, I can imagine this working better as a console shooter. No amount of new characters is going to help the game right now. I want the game to be good... I need something new to play. We did enjoy our time with it though but continuing to play is not worth it. Solos might provide something......

I'd pay proper money for a game mode without shields/armor. I get that it's part of the looting nature of the game to collect the best shields, but this honestly feels like a step back in game evolution. In general, the weirdness of TTK is what is going to break this game for me, and why going back to Titanfall felt like taking a step forward.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I'd pay proper money for a game mode without shields/armor. I get that it's part of the looting nature of the game to collect the best shields, but this honestly feels like a step back in game evolution. In general, the weirdness of TTK is what is going to break this game for me, and why going back to Titanfall felt like taking a step forward.
The TTK is one of the very best reasons why the game is loved. You have time to react and turn it around if you’re actually. You want 1 second TTK? There’re always other games for that. Having a mode like that is fine but the whole game core? No thanks

Greedings

The TTK is one of the very best reasons why the game is loved. You have time to react and turn it around if you’re actually. You want 1 second TTK? There’re always other games for that. Having a mode like that is fine but the whole game core? No thanks

Yup the TTK is amazing. I don't have the greatest spotting eye, so I have plenty of time to figure out where the enemy is and down them even if they spot me first.
The magazine size might be a little small though. If someone is wearing purple armour, I generally need to reload or swap weapons to kill someone.

I feel like I´m stuck in my old League of Legends hex where I´m not entirely wild about this game but its the only thing my friends play so I keep getting sucked into participating. At least its a bit more fun now that we seem to be winning consistently.

I must say I think the Kraber/Mastiff are some grade A bullshit. I understand that BR games are predicated on a certain level of RNG and you aren´t always going to get the weapons/equipment you want. You´re inevitably going to run into some unfavorable match-ups and that´s fine, but the existence of flat out "fuck you, I win" guns seems absurd to me. I recently had a match where a buddy and myself both lucked into a Mastiff and the game devolved into a total joke. We didn´t need skill or coordination to win the game when we could just rush in like morons and rely on busted guns to do the work for us. Don´t even get me started on the Kraber.

I think they should nerf those guns to bring them more in line with their counterparts, and increase the drop rate so that the average player can use them more often.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I don't mind there being a kill margin. What I am irritated with, and that which will make me end up ditching the game, is the tiered shield system. It places far too much focus on looting for my tastes. Notice how I didn't say to change the game, but rather add a mode?

By the way, I still find it deeply ironic that the same studio that removed burn cards because it made matches too random has developed a game like this.

Mista

Banned
Yup the TTK is amazing. I don't have the greatest spotting eye, so I have plenty of time to figure out where the enemy is and down them even if they spot me first.
The magazine size might be a little small though. If someone is wearing purple armour, I generally need to reload or swap weapons to kill someone.
Always have a second gun loaded and ready. Use a combo of LMG + Shotgun or SMG + Shotgun or whatever suits your play style. It helped me a lot
That's not what I'm saying at all. I don't mind there being a kill margin. What I am irritated with, and that which will make me end up ditching the game, is the tiered shield system. It places far too much focus on looting for my tastes. Notice how I didn't say to change the game, but rather add a mode?

By the way, I still find it deeply ironic that the same studio that removed burn cards because it made matches too random has developed a game like this.
Yeah I feel you. But at the end it’s a BR game so it isn’t ironic tbh. They need to put those shields in it’s one of the BR chores. I’m not a BR player so I’m not experienced in all but I don’t think there’s a BR game out there that doesn’t have shields or something equivalent to it. We need to see new modes introduced to the game and I’m sure they’ll do that we just need to wait

Bryank75

Banned
Anybody find that the Server you choose makes a huge difference?

If I leave it up to the game to pick the server, my shots don't seem to land very consistently. While, if I choose the London server, my shots seem more dependable and the lag isn't as pronounced.

Greedings

Always have a second gun loaded and ready. Use a combo of LMG + Shotgun or SMG + Shotgun or whatever suits your play style. It helped me a lot

I'm not so into the shotguns. I prefer either some sort of rifle or LMG coupled with a carbine/smg and occasionally a Wingman. It works nicely, I just have to force myself to trade weapons rather than which goes against my instincts.

Mista

Banned
Anybody find that the Server you choose makes a huge difference?

If I leave it up to the game to pick the server, my shots don't seem to land very consistently. While, if I choose the London server, my shots seem more dependable and the lag isn't as pronounced.
Yes definitely. But the data center bug needs to go. I don’t want to cheese it around to be able to pick a server

DonF

The game gives you enough information for you to take the decision to engage in combat or not.
Purple or gold damage numbers, the rival has a strong armor, disengage or fully commit to the attack. Focus with other team mates, communicate. I see no problem with the armor system.

-MD-

90% of multiplayer shooters have low TTK, we very rarely get high TTK shooters.

Let us have this one.

This is sad and for what? A damn legendary skin that you can’t even see when it matters?

:messenger_pensive:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalation_of_commitment

I also have to wonder if these three items were three purple drops, or two purples and an orange, instead of the ONLY set drop in the game that's also a special red loot color, would anywhere near the same amount of people care about these items? I would guess the answer is no.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Maybe they'll make energy ammo more abundant now. I like using the Devotion with the turbocharger mod but the lack of energy ammo can be a problem sometimes.

Also, Amazon Prime members who have a Twitch Prime account you can get a free legendary skin for Pathfinder and 5 Apex packs right now:
p1_2598482_6e7cf228.jpg

INC

Energy ammo isnt abundant because most of the guns that use it hit extremely hard

Devotion with turbo charger is ridiculous, now imagine all the ammo you want

Would be unbalanced

GenericUser

Had fun for a couple of days, but the experience got more and more stale over the last few sessions I played. Every match feels samey and it's simply not fun and quiet rage-inducing when you play 20 minutes just to get killed in the blink of an eye. I can't keep up with the people that have like 700 kills or more in less then one week. I just feel uncomfortable when I play it and I get in a bad mood after playing the game and thats the opposite of what I want when I spend time with a videogame.

dorkimoe

Anyone who wants to group up feel free to add me on Xbox or PC, same name on both (same as here). Nobody who is gonna rage at me though haha

TeamGhobad

Banned
Didn’t play for a whole day thanks to Anthem. Jumped in with the boys for two quick games and ended up winning both! The R-99 was made to melt all shields!

its a beast in the 5-10 yard range. it melts guys. but u need a good stock and stabilizer.

Last edited:

Doczu

I'm having a blast with the game. Regularly playing with my buddy and one random player in the team, games range from fubar on drop to top 3. Some rounds are gun blazing from stsrt till end, sometimes we won't even see anybody till the end.
I love the ping system, although i would prefer if more people were talking, would make it a lot easier to tacticaly overcome the enemies.

Love it when you start fighting with one team and then another rolls in to make it a threesome.

Lootbox system is kinda fair? I kinda don't like it that after level 20 you don't get a box atevery level. Would like some boxes as rewards and to have the possibility to earn the blue currency (how is it called) for playing, even if it'sjust single digit rewards, not just from boxes.

Oh and is it just me, or are the lootbox rewards mostly for characters you don't play with? I mained Lifeline, love to play support but i got only one skin for her, mostly just trash stuff or skins for other characters...

Runs nice on the PS Pro, would love m+k support.

Lootbox system is kinda fair? I kinda don't like it that after level 20 you don't get a box atevery level. Would like some boxes as rewards and to have the possibility to earn the blue currency (how is it called) for playing, even if it'sjust single digit rewards, not just from boxes.

I have a theory that, in addition to the battle pass specific loot, part of the battle pass will give players loot boxes at every level. I hope I'm right.

Runs nice on the PS Pro, would love m+k support.

Only if they can definitively separate controller users from mouse and keyboard users, likely also with cross-play support. Otherwise, NO.

Top Bottom