• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Arcade is for Macs, AppleTv's, Iphones, and Ipads. But only for Phone games.

3514511-screen+shot+2019-03-25+at+1.43.01+pm.png

Essentially, Apple proposes you pay a monthly subscription to get unlimited access to paid titles on the App Store. Partners include Sega, Konami, Disney, Sumo Digital, Cartoon Network, and more--more than 100 exclusive games will become part of the service. More games will be added "all the time," the company said. It will support games across iOS devices (both iPhones and iPads), MacOS, and Apple TV, and you'll be able to transfer your progress between these different platforms. In other words, you can move from playing something on your phone to your TV or laptop, for instance.
Apple went on to state that every game would be playable offline, while future game updates and DLC would be included at no extra cost. In addition, you can pick up on other devices right where you left off. Apple Arcade will have its own tab on the App Store, and the games will be free of ads and microtransactions.

Apple Arcade will be available in 150 countries "this fall," with pricing and more details to come.

This service is the exact opposite of Stadia, which gives you full access on any device, gives you full AAA with top graphics, and able to switch screens or jump into play in 5 seconds.

This Apple Arcade App is pointless. No one brought an Ouya why would they buy Ouya for IOS? No one is going to be excited to play Flappy Bird on their MAC OS. People already barely play games on their Apple TV as we speak.

Apple is run by a crazy guy who wasn't even put into the CEO position because of track record and qualifications, he was put in for a completely different reason and has been running Apple into the ground. He has resorted to raising the price of phones over $1000 to try and save the companies bottom line but keeps failing.

Nothing shown here will help them make money. The games that make the most profit have in-game purchases, which the Apple Arcade service will not allow to be listed. So exactly what the hell are they doing?

Nothing to see here guys, I would recommend Stadia, where you can have a 2009 thinkpad T41 run a game in 1080p and 60fps with Googles datacenters.

HeresJohnny

So it's shit, basically. Why would I want to play phone games on my 27 inch Mac?

EDIT: Stadia is shit too, just for different reasons.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
iOS store has an insanely deep catalogue of puzzle games (far beyond lolMatch3), platformers, adventure games, and shmups, to name a few genres that I've enjoyed on my iPhone on occasion.

I'm not saying I'm signing up for the service, but you're poo-pooing a store that has been a key market player for a decade.

So it's shit, basically. Why would I want to play phone games on my 27 inch Mac?

EDIT: Stadia is shit too, just for different reasons.

Apple is going to unify ecosystem for Mac and iOS in next few years - which will most likely be built on top of their own ARM based cpus so there's nothing weird about them including mac ahead of time into this sub.

iOS store has an insanely deep catalogue of puzzle games (far beyond lolMatch3), platformers, adventure games, and shmups, to name a few genres that I've enjoyed on my iPhone on occasion.

I'm not saying I'm signing up for the service, but you're poo-pooing a store that has been a key market player for a decade.

You do know all the best shmups are on Android right? I though you were a Shmup fan.

*sniff* I can't believe this treachery!!!

No but for real, great shmups on Play Store, and some great console ports. ;)

wipeout364

This Apple Arcade App is pointless. No one brought an Ouya why would they buy Ouya for IOS?​
I don’t think this is supposed to be for you, it’s for people that are already invested in apple ecosystem. Depending on the price it might be a nice service for casual gamers who own MacBooks, iPads, iPhones Apple TV’s etc. I don’t think they are going after the core Gaffer contingent.

wtftad

Reading between the lines this could be viewed as Apples way of securing exclusive content (games) for their ecosystem. They are hand picking the developers, helping to fund (or fully fund) their development, and releasing it through their platforms behind a subscription.

Amazon did something similar to this with Amazon Underground where they paid developers based on how much “screen time” their games generated (how long users engaged with the games). They didn’t fund the development of those titles and for the most part they let everyone build their games for inclusion in the program.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Sounds like more an unification thing for existing games. Which should be good for Apple TV owners. Instead of having to do this dog and pony act on getting Iphone games running, you can simply use this instead of the native TVOS apps.

So, that's a good thing. Same for Mac's. Having IOS titles run on Mac Mini's could be worth while. PUBG mobile anyone? :p

wtftad

I don’t think they are going after the core Gaffer contingent.

I think streaming content (games) is going to be a boon for many developers....access to a TON of players that wouldn’t otherwise be able to play your game, but I can understand not wanting to give up the physical platform-ness of consoles.

I never remember to do this....but props to your avatar m8....they were a great band back in the day!

CeeJay

I don't get why people are comparing Arcade to Stadia, apart from both being subscriptions they are very different and offer different types of games delivered in a different way to different devices. If you are invested in Apple's eco-system then you might not even get the opportunity to sub to Stadia and if you don't have an Apple device you haven't got the option to sub to Arcade. Different horses for different courses.

Domisto

Yeah, whatever OP. This is for the iphone and ipad crowd. Which is a huge market even though Gaf is more console and master race. Priced right this could be popular, might become a good place for adventure gamers and those games could cross the divide to macOS quite well. I'm hoping this will open the door for more macOS game dev even if I'm disappointed it doesn't look like it's aimed at me right now.

Aren117

Updating the list of platforms Final Fantasy Tactics is now available:

[x] PS1
[x] PSP
[x] PS3
[x] PSVita
[x] Android
[x] iOS
[x] Mac
[x] Apple TV
[x] PC
[ ] PS4
[ ] Xbox One
[ ] Switch

good night, peeps

tr1p1ex

I'm going to recommend MS's gaming streaming service over both since we are trying to recommend services that aren't out yet and aren't priced yet over others in the same boat.

Top Bottom