• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Arcade subscription service announced

matheusnienow

Neo Member
I don't really like mobile gaming, mostly because most games are garbage. There a few exception that are really good, like Monument Valley. If this services offers some games like that, it may be worth it.

JCK75

I'm sure it will be as successful as any mobile gaming service can be, but anyone who thought this was a threat to existing gaming standards...LOL

matheusnienow

Neo Member
Now that I'm thinking, maybe this is a great solution for mobile gaming. With this developers will be forced to improved their quality and end the predatory monetizing practices currently present in the mobile market. Maybe it will enable people to have more great quality games.

Rodolink

"the freedom to come out with interesting ideas" "things that have never been done by the mainstream" What they mean by this? it sounds to me like PR marketing jargon. Its just another gaming platform (not store). But I do agree with "everything is changing".

Mercer_CAR

Banned
I wonder what kind of people would pay something like $50 to play a huge bunch of shovelware indie games

These types:
soy-face.jpg

mortal

That's kind of cool, I suppose. I'm just happy to see that Hironobu Sakaguchi is still designing games.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Now that I'm thinking, maybe this is a great solution for mobile gaming. With this developers will be forced to improved their quality and end the predatory monetizing practices currently present in the mobile market. Maybe it will enable people to have more great quality games.
Yeah I hope so.

What would you rather have? Games that you pay for directly/through a service? Or games that you pay for with your attention/personal information/microtransactions?

I’m 100% in favor of any effort to push mobile gaming toward the former. I’m much more in favor of a market where the gamers are the customer, rather than one where advertisers and whales are the customers.

Viridian Vagabond

Neo Member
These types:
soy-face.jpg

I like how your collage is incomplete. Photos of white guys with their mouths agape must be in short supply.

Meanwhile, Shantae 5 has been announced for every major platform including Apple Arcade, so I guess it’s being treated as “one of the guys.”

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Why is this a thing? Why are they all opening their mouths?

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/nu-male-smile

I've heard various theories I don't think make any sense, a show of submission seems to be a popular theory because apes do that I guess? Never made sense to me, I've always seen it as simply feigned jubilance or surprise, which according to the KYM page is the originating description

On January 22nd, 2015, the news site Mashable[5] published an article titled "Faux surprise is the new duckface,"

Further down:

On December 26th, an anonymous 4chan[2] user submitted a post speculating that the open-mouthed smile was a signal of submission and being "lower in the social ladder" according to research on non-human primates. As a reply, another user responded that the smile should be called a "cuckface" based off the duckfacee facial expression.

I just don't feel like this is right, I don't know. When Will Wheaton is doing the soyface, I don't get submission vibes, I get hyperbolic jubilance. You're lying to me about how much fun you're having.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Hmmm. The more I stewed on this the more it's kind of what I wanted, albeit as always the Apple-ized version of it.

I've been saying since it launched that they were sitting on a heckin powerful microconsole with the ATV, and now that they dropped the wand controller requirement it could make for a nifty microconsole. But the software wasn't there, so I wished for them to fund some exclusive games.

With Arcade, they are funding exclusives, and those games are said to work (or be able to be made to work) across macOS, iOS, and TVOS. So if any of the exclusives are good, I did kind of get the push from them for ATV games, and it running on macOS come to think of it is an unexpected bonus.

Top Bottom