• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple rumored to reveal gaming on demand service at March 25th event

Status
Not open for further replies.
2Fm8f19.jpg

Apple's March 25 "its show time" event is expected to be largely focused on Services, with a new report claiming that the company may debut a subscription service for paid iPhone and iPad games during the presentation as well. While the vast majority of the report reiterates what has already been gleaned about Apple's subscription and news services, it delves a bit more into Apple's rumored games as a service plan. According to the report, Apple isn't looking at building a off-device rendering service like the defunct OnLive, or Google's new Stadia service, it is looking at a paid bundle including titles from different developers, that are all accessible for a single monthly fee.
According to Bloomberg's report from Saturday morning, revenue would be divided up amongst the paid titles in the service according to how long a user played the game. Not expected to be included are titles that are free to play, and rely on in-app purchases for revenue.

Mark Gurman at Bloomberg doesn't pin down a release date. Rather, he suggests that it could be released either at Monday's "Its show time" event, or later in the year, at Apple's World Wide Developer's Conference in June.

With Tim Cooks Apple going through BlackBerry Syndrome and sales falling faster than a truck blowing up downward off a slope, Apple is now trying to jump into a service oriented business model.

One of the rumored models will involve gaming. Focusing on a games-on-demand service model where you can pay a yearly or monthly subscription on your iPhone or Ipad mobile device and gain access to several games at once. Some of these will be in packs where you can get multiple games as once and revenue is shared between the developers, and also Apple.

We shall see if this will change Apples future outlook. One strategy they could try is to actually do something with MAC as well since there's basically nothing on it, so having a service that goes through all Apples software products would be great. Will it work? Who knows, but one thing to note is Tim Cook has made many incompetent moves so anything can happen.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
doesn't sound like a good idea but Apple could take a shit and put icing on it and people would still buy it cause it's Apple.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
The only way they have a chance is by buying Sony or Nintendo, otherwise it will be a Pippin 2.

Given Apple’s history and demeanor toward video gaming overall, I can’t pretend that I have even an iota of interest in what they have to say.

DanielsM

Banned
Even if game streaming becomes a thing, the third parties have little chance as the device makers generally have the say so for access to the device, Apple will probably lock out everyone on iOS.

The closed system holders hold the key as long as they can sell devices.

Last edited:

CeeJay

Everyone else is moving towards a more open and inclusive business model with such things as crossplay and play on any screen, Apple are going to look pretty dated if you can only play on an Apple device with other people on an Apple device. A move like this is going to speed up the loss of market share...

Apple can suck my ding-dong for all I care. Ive never seen a company that fell so hard in terms of quality products the way Apple did. I have zero interest in their gaming subscription service.

DanielsM

Banned
Everyone else is moving towards a more open and inclusive business model with such things as crossplay and play on any screen, Apple are going to look pretty dated if you can only play on an Apple device with other people on an Apple device. A move like this is going to speed up the loss of market share...

Its actually the opposite they can deploy to windows, android and ios -they would be the ones that can do that.

The pure "services" companies are in for a rude awakening, not that I think these "services" will be a real popular thing.

Last edited:

Shifty

The streaming service floodgates are opening.

The real question is which one will survive the melee and emerge to claim their chicken dinner.

DanielsM

Banned
The streaming service floodgates are opening.

The real question is which one will survive the melee and emerge to claim their chicken dinner.

Or which ones throw in the towels with all the rest that have thrown in the towel over the years, they're basically fighting for customers that don't exist.

Amazon - can deploy to Amazon devices (Fire Tablets, Fire TV, with possible Alexa support to control), Windows, and Android devices
Google - can deploy to Google devices (Chromecast), Windows and Android devices
Sony - can deploy to Sony devices (PS4/PS5/TVs), Windows and Android devices
Microsoft - can deploy to Microsoft devices (Xbox), Windows and Android devices
Apple - can deploy to Apple devices (Apple Tv), iOS, Windows and Android devices
Walmart - can deploy to Windows and Android devices.

I'm going to enjoy watching this burn up into a big fire ball. Even if one believes in game streaming, this will be so fragmented by devices and publishers/developers its going to be fun to watch.

Also others working on their "platform":
- Electronic Arts
- Valve Software
- Possibly Activision
- Possibly Square Enix
- Capcom already doing it

Last edited:

wipeout364

I think this could work to take a different opinion than everyone else. Apple is going full on services and they have a big gaming library. The problem with apple is they hate to lose money and when they do drop shit immediately.

This won’t work in services so the question is can they show dedication and take a hit for awhile while they build up their development studios and partners or will the can the whole enterprise when they lose money for the first few years?

JCK75

Stadia will work on any device that can run chrome, which means any device..
Apple is certain to keep this proprietary thus useless.

DanielsM

Banned
Stadia will work on any device that can run chrome, which means any device..
Apple is certain to keep this proprietary thus useless.

Apple is the gatekeeper, they can remove Chrome or the ability to use the service in the browser andor demand a cut. Chrome is not on PS, Xbox, Switch, Sony TVs, etc. All of them can deploy to Windows and Android, more or less. Apple removed Valve's Steam Link just not too long ago. The irony is you can use Playstation Remote Play on iOS now. And Amazon can remove Chrome from Fire devices.

(even if all this game streaming wasn't crap) Its going to be fragmentation on top of fragmentation - there is no free ride.

Last edited:
Is this the dude that charges you 900 bucks for a smartphone? I can't wait to see how Apple is gonna pull off the biggest upselling of their lives here.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
they better fucking make that new fancy smancy ipad pro 2018 model sweat

nowhat

Stadia will work on any device that can run chrome, which means any device.
Chrome (or Firefox, or any alternative browser) on iOS is just a reskin of mobile Safari as Apple doesn't allow alternative rendering (as in HTML) engines. It won't be able to run Stadia.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Chrome (or Firefox, or any alternative browser) on iOS is just a reskin of mobile Safari as Apple doesn't allow alternative rendering (as in HTML) engines. It won't be able to run Stadia.
this is true.. can't even run fing higher then full hd on a beast ipad pretty sad

They will obviously have mobile apps for Stadia. It’s common sense.

So now we got a rumor of an Apple streaming service, Google, Microsoft, Sony, joeblow and grandma all jumping on the streaming bandwagon complete with subscriptions? Who’s next? Kellogg’s? Yeah I really don’t like the direction this industry might be heading in if it’s like the way I’m visualizing. Honestly, is there even that much demand for a streaming console?

DanielsM

Banned
They will obviously have mobile apps for Stadia. It’s common sense.

Yeah, but they can block the mobile app from the Apple Store - Amazon, Apple, Sony, Nintendo, (insert closed system company) don't have to allow access.

So now we got a rumor of an Apple streaming service, Google, Microsoft, Sony, joeblow and grandma all jumping on the streaming bandwagon complete with subscriptions? Who’s next? Kellogg’s? Yeah I really don’t like the direction this industry might be heading in if it’s like the way I’m visualizing. Honestly, is there even that much demand for a streaming console?

Its been known as kind of an open secret that their working on many services including gaming/streaming, which might explain them blocking the Valve app(?)

Last edited:
Yeah, but they can block the mobile app from the Apple Store - Amazon, Apple, Sony, Nintendo, (insert closed system) does have to allow access.

It wouldn’t really make any sense to block that one app but still allow everything else from Google on the devices.

DanielsM

Banned
It wouldn’t really make any sense to block that one app but still allow everything else from Google on the devices.

They can pick and choice what they want just like any other closed system, generally speaking. Who said they won't be blocking more in the future. (I would expect them to in the future as they build their services)

There is going to be fragmentation on top of fragmentation and its not just for games - everything.

Last edited:
They can pick and choice what they want just like any other closed system, generally speaking. Who said they won't be blocking more in the future.

Then why don’t they block all their other competition like Spotify that directly competes with their Apple Music?

CyberPanda

Banned
It’s just where the whole industry is headed whether people like it or not.

DanielsM

Banned
That’s Spotify complaining about the store tax, not apple blocking them from appearing in the store. Google will pay.
They can remove or block the app. Same thing they did to Valve. 30% cut and you have no way of competing with the same product. I guess I don't see the problem... not really that is why the world should be developing an alternative to windows which is open (whether Linux or other, need to support something), not paying Google to make not only a close system but a virtual closed system.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3271102/valve-steam-link-app-android-ios-rejected.html

Everyone is asking to get fucked, imo

Last edited:

nowhat

Apple is laying some wood on them. I expect Apple to start to change app requirements in the future.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/15/18266892/apple-spotify-addressing-claims-press-release

Spotify wouldn’t be the business they are today without the App Store ecosystem
Bull-fucking-shit. I've been using Spotify since it was invite-only beta only in select European countries, have been a paying customer for over a decade. And haven't used App Store for anything related to Spotify during that time.

Last edited:
They can remove or block the app. Same thing they did to Valve. 30% cut and you have no way of competing with the same product.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3271102/valve-steam-link-app-android-ios-rejected.html

Again, they rejected it because the app is trying to bypass the App Store for purchases. That’s not the first time they’ve done that to apps that try to bypass their store. I understand valve not wanting to share the profits, but those are the rules for ALL apps in the App Store. This isnt some: oh they have a streaming service so let’s cut them off.

Quixz

Apple should have made a Switch like device, the A12X packs some serious power with great battery life.

DanielsM

Banned
Again, they rejected it because the app is trying to bypass the App Store for purchases. That’s not the first time they’ve done that to apps that try to bypass their store. I understand valve not wanting to share the profits, but those are the rules for ALL apps in the App Store. This isnt some: oh they have a streaming service so let’s cut them off.

Yeah, but its really simple, you just say anything over a $50m in digital services and you owe a 99% tax, like I said I expect Apple to start changing the agreements.

Apple is laying some wood on them. I expect Apple to start to change app requirements in the future.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/15/18266892/apple-spotify-addressing-claims-press-release

There is no free lunch, if you're mad about that... I would think a closed OS, within a closed virtual environment that uses a close store is even worse i.e. Google Stadia.

Last edited:
Yeah, but its really simple, you just say anything over a $50m in digital services and you owe a 99% tax, like I said I expect Apple to start changing the agreements.

There is no free lunch, if you're mad about that... I would think a closed OS, within a closed virtual environment that uses a close store is even worse i.e. Google Stadia.

I’m not mad, you’re the one that seems mad. Fact of the matter is they have a store and there are certain rules that you have to follow in order to be able to stay in that store. If the companies want to be accessible to people with iPhones then they will have to abide by those stores rules, just like they’ve been doing all this time.

Companies like Google and Microsoft can afford to pay those fees and will. And I know this because they already do.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
I’m not mad, you’re the one that seems mad. Fact of the matter is they have a store and there are certain rules that you have to follow in order to be able to stay in that store. If the companies want to be accessible to people with iPhones then they will have to abide by those stores rules, just like they’ve been doing all this time.

Companies like Google and Microsoft can afford to pay those fees and will. And I know this because they already do.

Apple will be direct competitors with those two other than just phones and tablets, the pressure is on..... services... they'll be pushing everyone off their platform or charging so much until someone screams.
https://www.cnet.com/news/apples-tv-streaming-service-showtime-is-upon-us-at-last/

Apple is about to spend some serious dough, resources, etc on services. Once all the services are ready, they package them and start moving everyone back with a bulldozer.

What is funny is we're discussing game streaming and their really isn't any paying customers, not really, so...:messenger_grinning:

I’m not mad, you’re the one that seems mad.

I meant in the way that maybe we should all be rejecting some of these over uses of closed systems and we should all take responsbility. This Stadia is probably the worse idea I have ever heard of, at least at this point. Not going to feel sorry for one person that get's taken by Google on this.

I kind of feel like this. :) Its actually kind of funny.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but this is just a subscription for mobile games in the app store. Not streaming like Stadia.

So why is everyone here commenting like this is them entering the console/pc gaming market....

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Apple is the gatekeeper, they can remove Chrome or the ability to use the service in the browser andor demand a cut. Chrome is not on PS, Xbox, Switch, Sony TVs, etc. All of them can deploy to Windows and Android, more or less. Apple removed Valve's Steam Link just not too long ago. The irony is you can use Playstation Remote Play on iOS now. And Amazon can remove Chrome from Fire devices.

Google can remove YouTube in response. Which will hurt apple more?

JCK75

Google puts it's apps on iOS, Apple very rarely puts it's services on other platforms.
Apple music is the only exception I can think of.. point is, Apple keeps it proprietary and Google tries to cover as many platforms as it can spelling doom for Apples attempt.

iHaunter

Who needs another subscription, honestly?

People play games when they're bored on the phone, you don't do gaming on it.

It’s just where the whole industry is headed whether people like it or not.

Yeah that’s true, but that might be my last generation of current gaming if that becomes the industry standard. As an option, it’s fine but they will probably try to replace traditional gaming with this. I just don’t like having games that will inevitably require on being online at all times, eating up data caps, artifacting, potential lag and subscriptions coming from all ends. We’ll see though. Don’t want to quite jump to conclusions yet.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
Yeah that’s true, but that might be my last generation of current gaming if that becomes the industry standard. As an option, it’s fine but they will probably try to replace traditional gaming with this. I just don’t like having games that will inevitably require on being online at all times, eating up data caps, artifacting, potential lag and subscriptions coming from all ends. We’ll see though. Don’t want to quite jump to conclusions yet.
Agreed. But, the best thing to do is go with the the flow. And, there are a lot of other hobbies to enjoy besides gaming!

HeresJohnny

Everyone will have a subscription service, and 99 percent of them will fail. They’re trying to saturate a market that isn’t there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom