• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple rumored to reveal gaming on demand service at March 25th event

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Enel

Imagine if you subscribe to every service out there you wouldnt have money to pay your electrical bill. Lol

Tarin02543

I've been thinking, since the word is out that streaming is supposedly the future of our hobby, do young people that play Fortnite or Minecraft even care about input lag?

Only us older gamers who grew up on fast reaction (2D) games really care about it because it is so fundamental about our perception of videogames.

These streaming services will probably cater to these young gamers anyway because they do not understand the concept of instant button reaction like we do.

Sad really.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Apple is just about on the bottom of my list of companies I would want a gaming service from.

LordOfChaos

I hope this is a step towards them taking the ATV seriously as a microconsole.

Actively cooled A10X, wand controller requirement dropped, Metal 2? They're sitting on a pretty powerful box there, and especially so if they updated it to an actively cooled A12X. But the software just isn't there.

Now a subscription model that adds incentive to support all of their platforms? Hopefully that could get it going

HeresJohnny

The interesting thing in all of this is that you have a current market leader that is going to end up selling upwards of 110 million consoles and God knows how many pieces of physical software and the industry's answer is, "You know, this industry is fucked up, we need to try out this completely new method of delivery." Change for the sake of change is going to end up costing this business dearly. When change is needed, everyone knows it, and we aren't there yet. I haven't heard many compelling reasons for an all digital future. The idea should be able to sell itself.

CyberPanda

Banned
In poor taste.
Apple can suck my ding-dong for all I care. Ive never seen a company that fell so hard in terms of quality products the way Apple did. I have zero interest in their gaming subscription service.
Thing is Tim Cook would suck your ding-dong. You can even email him and ask!

Last edited:

Fbh

I've been thinking, since the word is out that streaming is supposedly the future of our hobby, do young people that play Fortnite or Minecraft even care about input lag?

Only us older gamers who grew up on fast reaction (2D) games really care about it because it is so fundamental about our perception of videogames.

These streaming services will probably cater to these young gamers anyway because they do not understand the concept of instant button reaction like we do.

Sad really.

I keep seeing this being mentioned but IMO:
- If they are used to Fortnite and Minecraft they are probably used to rather responsive games. They might not know the concept of input lag but I think they'll definitely notice it
- It's also the generation that's used to their games being very cheap or free. Will they want to pay $20 a month (or whatever it ends up being) when their favourite games like Fortnite, LOL or Clash Royale are $0?

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Even if game streaming becomes a thing, the third parties have little chance as the device makers generally have the say so for access to the device, Apple will probably lock out everyone on iOS.

The closed system holders hold the key as long as they can sell devices.

How is that different than sony, ms or nintendo?

doesn't sound like a good idea but Apple could take a shit and put icing on it and people would still buy it cause it's Apple.
Obviously brand recognition has been huge for Apple, so I’m not dismissing that. But Apple has success because of the way they innovate on a product to make it seemlessly intergrate into people’s life’s. That’s where their successs comes from. It’s possible that they could do that here, but givens apples history with gaming I’m somewhat skeptical.

UnusualSether

Neo Member
Another streaming service? Since consumers will probably only want to pay for 1 service, there will be a really competitive enviroment between companies trying to sell their service.

It´ll probably be like almost everything that apple has released, decent but not worth the price and without a doubt people with buy it because it´s Apple.

overlordror

Neo Member
Getting real tired of everything having a subscription service. Plus I can't see Apple gaining any sort of traction with the gaming crowed unless it's mobile-only focused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom