• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

Has anyone used the updated Hulu app interface? It's unusable-what the hell. Who in their right mind would design an app like this?

I use the TV app to avoid it like the plague. I've only seen it during loading screens and even I know that shit doesn't fly

Has anyone used the updated Hulu app interface? It's unusable-what the hell. Who in their right mind would design an app like this?

It's so bad. I'm also like Dalek and use the TV app to avoid actually using Hulu. On the top shelf it doesn't even have preview thumbnails. Terrible.

It's technically still in beta so hopefully it will improve with user feedback

About tvOS 11.0 beta
tvOS 11 includes includes new features, bug fixes, and security improvements in the OS and SDK, including:
• Automatic light/dark appearance switching.
• Focus API improvements and custom sound support. • Home Screen Sync.
• Layered image improvements.
• Mobile Device Management improvements.
• Network-based pairing and development support.
• New background modes and notification support.
• Right-to-left language support.
• Web Inspector support for TVMLKit apps

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Vudu app this fall as well. Finally but I've all but stopped using my Apple TV since 4K or HDR aren't supported in my most used apps.

Vudu app this fall as well. Finally but I've all but stopped using my Apple TV since 4K or HDR aren't supported in my most used apps.

Vudu is nice, that's where I previously bought tons and tons of movies, and my dad contributes to the collection still

Too little too late, though, tbh. I've mostly moved over to iTunes stuff for future purchases

Quasar

I've mostly stopped using mine too once I got my Shield. Doesn't have 4k or HDR or even support for 24Hz or passthrough of lossless audio formats.

Is anyone else’s Apple TV just like an absurdly shitty HomeKit hub? Whenever I’m out of my own wifi it just fails on me constantly. I have to unplug and replug the thing at least once a week, sometimes more

Really curious to see what HDR Apple supports. I suppose trying to look like the premium option they wont go all in on Dolby Vision?

Apparently Disney is betting big on Dolby Vision, so Apple probably will dive in as well. Now give me some Atmos and DTS X sound mixes as well.

Really curious to see what HDR Apple supports. I suppose trying to look like the premium option they wont go all in on Dolby Vision?

Apparently Disney is betting big on Dolby Vision, so Apple probably will dive in as well. Now give me some Atmos and DTS X sound mixes as well.

I think Dolby Vision is a lock, but can’t the hardware/content support HDR10 as a second option at the same time?

Quasar

This article doesn't seem to absolutely confirm it, but does seem to imply it is easy to put both Dolby and HDR in there at the same time.

Certainly there's some displays that support multiple formats (HDR10/10+, DV and HLG). And I think some streaming services offer DV and HDR10 as different streams.

Dolby Vision does seem to be the most forward (and backward) thinking of the HDR formats, so let's hope it prevails.

I don't know how I feel. Its proprietary and expensive and requires special dolby hardware. Plus there's very little home content or support with displays (due to the cost issues). Though that's changing a little. Certainly in Australia its basically LG with the OLED displays and almost no-one else. Samsung is uninterested..they are pushing HDR10 and HDR10+. The low cost brands certainly aren't keen on supporting the more expensive format.

Really hope it supports variable refresh rather than being locked to 50/60Hz. Being able to play movies in 24p would be enough in itself to get me to consider upgrading.

Ha, that’s a giant complaint from John Siracusa. It’s totally possible, no reason why it shouldn’t. Especially with the current iPads now being able to do actual 24p

Quasar

Ha, that’s a giant complaint from John Siracusa. It’s totally possible, no reason why it shouldn’t. Especially with the current iPads now being able to do actual 24p

And with hdmi 2.1 we'll have variable framerates to handle hdr films. Not that I expect any ATV5 to be a HDMI2.1 device. At least if it's a 2017 one.

Since I doubt that I’ll be streaming 4K content (in large quantities) anytime soon because of Comcast data caps and all that, I just want the new iteration to come out so that we can all get the Amazon video app already.

Because I assume that’s what they’re waiting for, to release it.

hugocésar;246737596 said:
Since I doubt that I’ll be streaming 4K content (in large quantities) anytime soon because of Comcast data caps and all that, I just want the new iteration to come out so that we can all get the Amazon video app already.

Because I assume that’s what they’re waiting for, to release it.

Yeah, once Amazon Video hits AppleTV, I won't need a Roku anymore.

I'd like to sell my Apple TV 4 soon. Does anyone of you know how long the usb-lightning-cable included is? I used mine to charge my iPhone for a while and can't recall which of my cables was the one from the Apple TV...

I'd like to sell my Apple TV 4 soon. Does anyone of you know how long the usb-lightning-cable included is? I used mine to charge my iPhone for a while and can't recall which of my cables was the one from the Apple TV...

Standard length like comes with the phones. I don't think anyone would notice or care really.

I can't buy primarily iTunes, too many deals and value through Vudu. though i have no problem using both

I used to buy hundreds of movies through VUDU but I find their library just soooo atrocious to use I had to stop. Bundles are handled poorly and they sell different versions of the movie, one with extras and one without, for the same price? The whole thing is just bizarre and I went back to iTunes

Quasar

I used to buy hundreds of movies through VUDU but I find their library just soooo atrocious to use I had to stop. Bundles are handled poorly and they sell different versions of the movie, one with extras and one without, for the same price? The whole thing is just bizarre and I went back to iTunes

I do find I'm kind of forced to buy iTunes if I want a digital version. Here in Australia the only real alternative is Google and whilst Google is frequently cheaper and I always have some free Google money for some reason I frequently find the Google version only has 2.0 audio and rarely has extras.I'm not sure if that's a Google issue or the fault of Australian distributors.

Not that I buy a LOT of video digitally. If I want to buy video I tend to buy BluRay as its the best quality. Then i just put that on my plex server.

Looking forward to the next few weeks! I'll be upgrading from a gen... 2, I think? I know it is not a three and it might be a first gen one. Anyway, biggest question I have is with regard to storage space. Is anyone filling up their 32GB one? Or, should I just go with the 64GB and be safe?

Looking forward to the next few weeks! I'll be upgrading from a gen... 2, I think? I know it is not a three and it might be a first gen one. Anyway, biggest question I have is with regard to storage space. Is anyone filling up their 32GB one? Or, should I just go with the 64GB and be safe?

I got 64 since I thought the system uses the extra space for buffering. It doesn’t. I think I’m using like 500MB on my system total. Non-game apps are fucking TINY, like sub-20MB

Top Bottom