• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

I got 64 since I thought the system uses the extra space for buffering. It doesn’t. I think I’m using like 500MB on my system total. Non-game apps are fucking TINY, like sub-20MB

Yeah, there's no reason for me to get the larger size.
I totally forgot about the very small app size limit imposed by Apple. Question: do any of you use Plex? I travel a lot and sometimes in areas that Internet, and taking the Apple TV with downloaded movies from Plex would be really handy. I was just wondering if any of you subscribe and use Plex and can tell me if you can download movies or not.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I totally forgot about the very small app size limit imposed by Apple. Question: do any of you use Plex? I travel a lot and sometimes in areas that Internet, and taking the Apple TV with downloaded movies from Plex would be really handy. I was just wondering if any of you subscribe and use Plex and can tell me if you can download movies or not.

The limit is actually 4GB as of this year.
But it used to be like 200MB or something.

Edit: This article clears it up. It wasn't quite a 200MB limit but rather the game would have to download the rest after initial download. Now they can use up to 24GB after a max 4GB initial download.

http://toucharcade.com/2017/01/12/apple-tv-app-size-limit-raised-to-4-gb/

I don't think any app can download media not even plex.... seems to be just streaming only

I hope that changes with the revision, there's value in me downloading even an iTunes movie ahead of time if I think the internet is going to get spotty

Quasar

Yeah. I do. For the most part plex is a deal breaker on whether I’d buy a media device.

You need the paid subscription to sync to devices though. I’ve used it a lot to sync media onto my iPad.

Yeah. I do. For the most part plex is a deal breaker on whether I’d buy a media device.

You need the paid subscription to sync to devices though. I’ve used it a lot to sync media onto my iPad.

Can you sync to a new Apple TV though? Can you actually download videos to it with Plex if you have the subscription?

I really like the Apple TV, I have 2 and use them for any tv/streaming... but holy shit the Siri remote is awful.
Don't care about 4K, so might pick up the new remote on its own.

dock

I really like the Apple TV, I have 2 and use them for any tv/streaming... but holy shit the Siri remote is awful.
Don't care about 4K, so might pick up the new remote on its own.
The Siri remote is atrocious! I tried setting it up on the regular TV remote but it took over one of the tv settings buttons in a really annoying way. 😅

You just prompted me to buy a simple learning universal remote to replace it!

The thread bout the iOS11 gold master leak shows that the new AppleTV should have HDR10 and Dolby Vision. So what are the odds that the new phone camera will record 4K video to show off the HDR and DV?

Quasar

The Siri remote is atrocious! I tried setting it up on the regular TV remote but it took over one of the tv settings buttons in a really annoying way. 😅

You just prompted me to buy a simple learning universal remote to replace it!

Though I’m guessing it’s rare to find a learning remote with a mic.

I do kind of like the shield one better as it has buttons rather than a trackpad. My father has never ending troubles with that as it’s so sensitive and he’s not used to using trackpads at all.

dock

Though I'm guessing it's rare to find a learning remote with a mic.
The microphone never gets used here. My girlfriend is German and despite her English being impeccable she's given up on voice recognition. I haven't had much success with it either.

My Apple TV use case is a little different because I use it entirely for Infuse (streaming from a NAS), Crunchyroll, iPlayer and Netflix.

I'm really happy with my new remote. It neatly controls my TV, Apple TV, Soundbar and HDMI switcher. Siri Remote is confined to a drawer.

kevin1025

Banned
So maybe Switch-like graphics, with a better CPU?

Edit: Oh wait, another thread is saying A10X. I would imagine it would still be in that Switch to Xbox One ballpark.

Not that any of us will be heavily playing games on this probably. Just fun to make points of comparison. This thing will be seriously powerful for a set top box.

If they can (hopefully) keep it around the same price or a teensy bit higher than the current price for Apple TV, it would be an insane purchase!

I hope Apple use this opportunity to reset the story on the Apple TV (a new Take 2 if you will). It's a product with a lot of promise but it's been mostly hampered by pricing.

I'd like to see the current box dropped to $69, with the 4K model at $129. $99/$149 seems more likely.

I would also like to see them make more of an effort with gaming... could be a really nice option. Get Rockstar, SE and others to bring their iOS games (GTA, Bully, FF, DQ etc.) over.

Seems very likely that there will be a new Siri remote so that's something.

kevin1025

Banned
Same. I think Siri remote is fantastic.

Only thing that annoys me big time is that it isn't easy to recognise its orientation blindly. Operation-wise, it's smooth.

All it needs is a headphone jack and it's perfect!

(I'm probably the only person that would want that, though, haha.)

jts

...hate me...
All it needs is a headphone jack and it's perfect!

(I'm probably the only person that would want that, though, haha.)

For sure, I had forgotten all about it but it's a very handy thing. But I think that ship has sailed with the big push for bluetooth headphones. I'm "sorted" with AirPods for emergencies but I would love some cans as well. A headphone jack would make it simpler and cheaper to have more options but oh well.

Quasar

I hope Apple use this opportunity to reset the story on the Apple TV (a new Take 2 if you will). It's a product with a lot of promise but it's been mostly hampered by pricing.

I'd like to see the current box dropped to $69, with the 4K model at $129. $99/$149 seems more likely.

I would also like to see them make more of an effort with gaming... could be a really nice option. Get Rockstar, SE and others to bring their iOS games (GTA, Bully, FF, DQ etc.) over.

Seems very likely that there will be a new Siri remote so that's something.

Pricing wasn’t really the issue for me, it was featureset (and app support). That’s why I bought a nvidia Shield afterwards, as it was much closer to what I wanted

Having all your movies upgraded to 4K automatically and for no charge is awesome. And then having HD and 4K be the same price is great as well.
Wonder if they will upgrade some TV shows as well.

I am SHOCKED in a great way by the 4K pricing and upgrade. VUDU didn’t do shit so was I was pessimistic, now I’m mad I wasn’t buying more $5 HD movies to be freely converted

Walmart having a sale on XBOX one S right now and shit same price as APPLE TV ...craziness ...i was thinking about copping the new Apple TV 4k too ...but shit might just jump on the Xbox One deal just for the player

I don't have a 4K TV yet, but it's nice to know I'll own 4K content by the time I upgrade.

Walmart having a sale on XBOX one S right now and shit same price as APPLE TV ...craziness ...i was thinking about copping the new Apple TV 4k too ...but shit might just jump on the Xbox One deal just for the player
Funnily enough, I got an AppleTV because I didn't like using a console to just watch TV and thought it was pretty inefficient (from a power usage standpoint).

Edit: I'm pretty disappointed we didn't get Amazon today.

I don't have a 4K TV yet, but it's nice to know I'll own 4K content by the time I upgrade.

That is where I am. Glad to know I am somewhat future proof on some content.

Having said that, when I do get a 4K TV, I will be going mostly disc based anyways. About 99% of my iTunes movies are just from digital copies that came with discs, and my 4K stuff will be the same.
Only video stuff I buy outright on iTunes is TV shows.

Now 4k and hdr are good news. But what about the audio formats ?
Dare we dream about atmos and dtshd-ma?

HE-AAC (V1), AAC (up to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (up to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Apple Lossless, FLAC, AIFF, and WAV; AC-3 (Dolby Digital 5.1) and E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 surround sound)

Quasar

Now 4k and hdr are good news. But what about the audio formats ?
Dare we dream about atmos and dtshd-ma?

No.Still stuck with shit lossy audio.

On the upside its good to see Apple not charging a premium for 4k versions of content and getting access to 4k versions for existing purchases where available.

Google really needs to follow suit.

Maybe gone are the days of having to rebuy films just to get a higher res transfer.

Quasar

HE-AAC (V1), AAC (up to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (up to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Apple Lossless, FLAC, AIFF, and WAV; AC-3 (Dolby Digital 5.1) and E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 surround sound)

I'll admit I'm surprised Apple is finally supporting FLAC.

I'll admit I'm surprised Apple is finally supporting FLAC.

Coming to all their devices with iOS11 actually, and you can sync it through the new version of iTunes that came out today

Well, I was going to get a 32 GB version but since it's just 20 bucks more, I guess I'll get the 64 and hopefully future prove it a bit.

I had the exact same thought. The 64GB ATV4 I bought for $50 was a giant waste, but $20 more? Fuck it. Maybe they’ll take my feedback and let us download media to the storage instead of just streaming and then the space will come in handy

Quasar

Anyone else had trouble updating their ATV?

When I try and update, it says there is one, and I select start and it just sits there forever saying 'trying to contact update server'.

Fox1304

No.Still stuck with shit lossy audio.

On the upside its good to see Apple not charging a premium for 4k versions of content and getting access to 4k versions for existing purchases where available.

Google really needs to follow suit.

Maybe gone are the days of having to rebuy films just to get a higher res transfer.

Crap :(
Typical to get all bells and whistles on picture put keep pushing shitty sound.

Top Bottom