• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you happy with GAF's current pace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's unfortunate what has happened to GAF population. Worst thing is Evilore whom doesn't seem to care or show empathy to everyone deciding to leave and just says "bye!" as if it's a good thing, then wants sympathy for himself? This is not the GAF I loved. So no, I am not happy with the new pace.

lem0n

Yeah would definitely want this to be the case. Maybe the forum upgrade will further push this?

The forum upgrade, and just give people time to find, apply, and join again. It definitely won't happen over night. The only thing that would kill this place for good is if we just give up on it. I nearly did, but then I realized all the people I didn't like to interact with left. So what's left is more "well adjusted" adults. We can only hope more normal folks join us here.

Blam

It's unfortunate what has happened to GAF population. Worst thing is Evilore whom doesn't seem to care or show empathy to everyone deciding to leave and just says "bye!" as if it's a good thing, then wants sympathy for himself? This is not the GAF I loved. So no, I am not happy with the new pace.

I mean what do you want him to do? He's not gonna change their minds. Not even if he apologizes. There's a good amount of those are the groups and swarms that were a part of the mass account suicides so they would have never of changed.

The forum upgrade, and just give people time to find, apply, and join again. It definitely won't happen over night. The only thing that would kill this place for good is if we just give up on it. I nearly did, but then I realized all the people I didn't like to interact with left. So what's left is more "well adjusted" adults. We can only hope more normal folks join us here.

Yeah I'd give it a month or two and see where we are after that.

8byte

Banned
Don't worry, 4chan and the like will eventually take over, and I'm sure the pace will pick up for the worst.

Kickz

It's not a "little" slower, It's in a fucking snail pace.

It is like a city got bomb and we are the few survivors that stayed and trying to rebuild the community. With so few of us I really have some doubts.
Majority of the energetic, creative and very active posters went to another settlement.

Yup

I mean what do you want him to do? He's not gonna change their minds. Not even if he apologizes. Those people are the groups and swarms that were a part of the mass account suicides so they would have never of changed.

No. All types of members went there including many well adjusted adults.

mhayes86

I'm bouncing back and forth. It's a bit too slow here, both with new topics and posts. I get through the threads that interest me quickly and don't have much of a reason to refresh often, so I get bored and move on.

It's why I don't want to move to Reset Era, because I'm already seeing people banned there for innocuous things probably due to a similar mod team.

I haven't come across a user banned there yet, but I do like that they flag posts and the reason a user was warned.

I mean what do you want him to do? He's not gonna change their minds. Not even if he apologizes. Those people are the groups and swarms that were a part of the mass account suicides so they would have never of changed.
Well, definitely not: "You don't believe me? Well fuck you, then! Good riddance! Lolz"

TTOOLL

I actually think GAF may become a place for developers again. I don't think they were comfortable in a place that would literally start an internet campaign against them because some users felt "offended" by some design decision. It was too hostile.

Let's see what happens.

DadEggs

uhm.

yes and no.

yes i love the slower pace. the space feels a lot more personal. comments are more meaningful and overall better quality.

no, because the content lacks a lot of actual news and going ons in the industry.

on resetera though i see the typical news threads that used to be here which is good...., but i still see a lot of the same old drivel comments, lots of the drama and ugliness, and that echochamber mentatlity

It's alright, it's a bit slower now that many users have permanently moved on to resetera. I think this forum still has life left in it for sure.

lem0n

I actually think GAF may become a place for developers again. I don't think they were comfortable in a place that would literally start an internet campaign against them because some users felt "offended" by some design decision. It was too hostile.

Let's see what happens.

I would love that. Reading personal developer insights (or just interacting!) was one of my favorite parts of this forum. For example, I had a conversation about muscle cars with Albert Penello a while back, and nowhere else is something like that possible. I don't blame devs for leaving this place, though. You're right, it was too hostile. They couldn't express one opinion without fear of a dog-pile.

Pejo

+: better quality posts, less trump threads, seemingly people getting along better.

-: big-ish event like Paris Games Week is going on and there's not as much news and info as I've been accustomed to.

I think as new accounts get approved, we'll get more gaming side activity. Pace of OT is what it is, I can go other places for depressing world news, and I have enjoyed reading some of the slower threads anyways. I'm cool with stuff, I guess.

theWB27

What is "normal?" Everyone you don't like left...but you're ok with that because now you can ignore them the same way you could ignore them when they were here? Why was it so hard to not interact with posters you didn't like when they were here? Why is that so hard for people to do?

Also...it's never a good thing to have less people to talk to on a discussion board. Having less water to feed your plants doesn't make the little water they get any better. They just have less water.

And some of yall can't read at your own pace? Is there a timer on reading things I haven't seen since being here? I'm a bit confused at the cheering of having less members.

It's picked up pace some, but I think it won't see a bjg jolt in activity until the new wave of members get approved.

The biggest casualty has been the community threads. Most of those are barren now.

lem0n

What is "normal?" Everyone you don't like left...but you're ok with that because now you can ignore them the same way you could ignore them when they were here? Why was it so hard to not interact with posters you didn't like when they were here? Why is that so hard for people to do?

Also...it's never a good thing to have less people to talk to on a discussion board. Having less water to feed your plants doesn't make the little water they get any better. They just have less water.

And some of yall can't read at your own pace? Is there a timer on reading things I haven't seen since being here? I'm a bit confused at the cheering of having less members.

Normal is not getting offended at the drop of a hat. It was a problem here. It's not about ignoring them, so much as just having less of their reactionary bullshit to sift through. I like having all opinions present, it makes for excellent discussion. But when it becomes somewhat of a hivemind that you need to either join or stay away from completely, it becomes difficult to use the forum at all. You cannot express opinions in the way you might want to.

Also, it's not having less people in general, it's less of the whiny ones. We definitely need more people here. I'm personally just hoping the general attitude stays more balanced this time around is all.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
yeah, it moving slower, but definitely seems better in terms of quality. Not the shitshow OT used to be.

What quality? Actually curious. There is next to no new info being posted at any given time. No discussions about tv shows that are airing. Most of the interesting news doesn't even get a thread. We've had a major holiday that spawned no discussion. There are threads on the front page from days ago with almost no activity

I get that you can say any stupid shit you want now, but to act like the quality has improved is laughable

appaws

Banned
Yeah, it's slow. I like the fact that threads don't move at a million miles an hour, but this ks too quiet.

Carl

I thought I'd hate slow paced GAF but it's actually nice to be able to read a thread without it taking several hours. I used to only read the first page and the last page

Sleepydays

Banned
Well I just got my foot in the door after years of lurking, and I'm happy I did.

I think calling it 'dead' is overstating things. There's still a great deal of content, and in all honesty it's a more enjoyable, more coherent read.

120v

I like the idea of a somewhat downsized gaf but this seems like quite the death rattle. We'll see

theWB27

Normal is not getting offended at the drop of a hat. It was a problem here. It's not about ignoring them, so much as just having less of their reactionary bullshit to sift through. I like having all opinions present, it makes for excellent discussion. But when it becomes somewhat of a hivemind that you need to either join or stay away from completely, it becomes difficult to use the forum at all. You cannot express opinions in the way you might want to.

Also, it's not having less people in general, it's less of the whiny ones. We definitely need more people here. I'm personally just hoping the general attitude stays more balanced this time around is all.

It's not normal to be emotionless when discussing something you feel strongly about. In what way couldn't you express what you wanted to say? Because I've seen plenty of these types of posts not get someone banned. What does that argument really mean? In what way couldn't opinions be expressed?

Right now it isn't balanced because there's hardly any discussion to be had. If people have a well formed argument then it's harder for anyone to bash that statement. Of course there would be posts that didn't really care for seeing any other side of it...but that's bound to happen as long as a population is large enough.

When more members get approved then guess what...there will always be some side that's more represented than another and the only way to not have that happen is to not have a large population.

Ben_T

Neo Member
From a lurker’s perspective (I only signed up a few months ago), OT seems slow. Gaming seems about right.

PJV3

I thought I'd hate slow paced GAF but it's actually nice to be able to read a thread without it taking several hours. I used to only read the first page and the last page

Isn't that the same thing in the end, you just read fewer posts, I'm not seeing why losing 90% of the people is needed to make it that way.

Yes, because what used to take possibly hours out of my day takes just mere minutes.

You can get updated on everything here in a couple scrolls. Maybe even click on page 2.

TTOOLL

No discussions about tv shows that are airing.

Yes, there is. Dragon Ball, Stranger Things and Gotham are some examples.

Most of the interesting news doesn't even get a thread.

Is it necessary though? I mean, we have some news, but not an overwhelming amount of them.

I get that you can say any stupid shit you want now, but to act like the quality has improved is laughable

I don't think we can say any stupid shit now, at all.

PJV3

Means I can follow the whole conversation

Ah OK,
I never really read the threads like that, I've always dipped in here and there on the longer ones. I definitely prefer it like it was, hectic and sometimes boiling over.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Yes, there is. Dragon Ball, Stranger Things and Gotham are some examples.

Is it necessary though? I mean, we have some news, but not an overwhelming amount of them.

I don't think we can say any stupid shit now, at all.

the stranger things thread has had like 10 posts in the last two days

mr robot is getting like 5 posts per episode

JordanN

Banned
Quality over quantity anytime.

More posters are always welcomed, but I'm happy GAF is now a stress free forum. I still go to other forums where the traffic isn't crazy huge but I still enjoy them.

As long as news of video games get posted, GAF still has its purpose in the gaming community at large.

Sephzilla

Quality over quantity anytime.

More posters are always welcomed, but I'm happy GAF is now a stress free forum. I still go to other forums where the traffic isn't crazy huge but I still enjoy them.

As long as news of video games get posted, GAF still has its purpose in the gaming community at large.

Most of the people who broke the news are gone too. And it seems like EL is desperately trying to get most of the people who left back

Bishop89

It's pretty much dead in comparison to the old days.

It feels like there are 20 people total posting content and that's about it

Kid Ying

I had the same issue back then. I almost never posted because discussions moved so fast it didnt entice me to enter them at all. Nowadays i'm posting much more.

I like gaming side right now. There are enough movement for It to stay interesting and not enough for it to hsve those issues of thousands of posts that meant nothing.

OT side is quite barren though.

Blam

Welp, I mean I see the other site really doesn't want me even interacting with a single person on their side.

They removed my userstyle page because it could be "malicious" boi. CSS can't do anything malicious, and sure as hell Stylus nor userstyles.org could even get close to allowing that on their site.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
OT is dead, Communities are almost all dead and even gaming side is at a snail's pace. Its not a little slower, its at a crawl. I hope it improves but who know's.

Welp, I mean I see the other site really doesn't want me even interacting with a single person on their side.

They removed my userstyle page because it could be "malicious" boi. CSS can't do anything malicious, and sure as hell Stylus nor userstyles.org could even get close to allowing that on their site.
What even happened?

Sephzilla

What even happened?

i did some digging on this and apparently blam was booted out because he/she leaked some ResetEra reg codes on an alt-right discord channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom