• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you happy with GAF's current pace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the stranger things thread has had like 10 posts in the last two days

mr robot is getting like 5 posts per episode

Some TV show threads got stuck in the Community (Flash, Arrow), which doesn't help. If there's few people in the OT, there's even fewer there.

Btw, was the Walking Dead S8 thread recovered? I remember seeing people talk about it in the S7-Part II one, but i have no idea where it is. Wanted to comment how boring i found this last episode.

Complistic

9/10 threads were unreadable before so it's completely fine. It'll keep picking up as well with new membership that aren't terrified of posting.

ape2man

Somewhere between how it was and where it is now would be good. It used to move way too fast that a lot of the time there was little reason to type out anything with substance as it would just seemingly get lost in the void.

What i like is that the super fast moving theads are gone.
jesus i could not follow any of the conversations that where going on. Shit just moved to fast. It was like everyone was just shouting there opinion and that was it.

sublimit

Banned
I didn't join GAF because it was popular,i joined it due to the quality of posters in Gaming Discussion and due to its strict moderation. I think that quality is still here and i actually prefer the way things are now. The discussions are much more easier to follow and to participate right now and i think because of that more new people will be wanting to join. It's up to us to show them that we are a smaller but friendlier community than before with hopefully less elitism and more respect to each other's opinions.

Also yeah a lot of old members have left but i have seen quite many of the people i respected and used to read their posts for so many years that they are still here. I hope they intend to stay and together with the new people make this place better than before.

Sephzilla

This is a perfect example of topic that was much worse in old gaf. Hundreds of shock and awe and outrage posts are not interesting to sift through. What we have now is more manageable.

god forbid people be open about being upset that a terrible thing happened

DeviantBoi

A topic I was interested discussing here has been stuck on the same page for several days.

It's already 70+ pages on the other site.

So I moved.

Only coming in here to see if anything interesting has popped up.

RM8

This is a perfect example of topic that was much worse in old gaf. Hundreds of shock and awe and outrage posts are not interesting to sift through. What we have now is more manageable.
Less replies = better? Also, how is that thread any more interesting now?

prag16

Banned
god forbid people be open about being upset that a terrible thing happened
They can do what they want. Just pointing out that hundreds of knee-jerk one liner reactions do not an interesting thread make.

Less replies = better? Also, how is that thread any more interesting now?

Yes and no. Less isn't better, but less content-less drivebys is certainly better. More interesting? Maybe not. But less laborious to sift through the garbage? Absolutely.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They can do what they want. Just pointing out that hundreds of knee-jerk one liner reactions do not an interesting thread make.

Yes and no. Less isn't better, but less content-less drivebys is certainly better. More interesting? Maybe not. But less laborious to sift through the garbage? Absolutely.

Just pointing out there are still those kinds of comments in that thread and now they're even more obvious because there are that many fewer posts.

Blam

What even happened?

Too long of a story. They are covering stuff up, and just painting me in a bad light as it stands.

i did some digging on this and apparently blam was booted out because he/she leaked some ResetEra reg codes on an alt-right discord channel.

Pretty much, I still haven't gotten proof of these leaks, or even a link to the leaks in questions so I have no clue then I was also told that I actually did it on 8chan? But I don't know honestly it's confusing because I've been told many things that I "did", but nobody has given me clear proof of it even happening.

As far as I know the only invite links that I know leaked were to the discord server, and accidentally by Sentry. I'd say someone should have checked the userid of that discord account that did it, or even the discord identifier (#number) before accusing me.

RM8

Can't say I agree, personally. There's nothing interesting about the linked thread, it's just completely lacking in meaningful participation and there's people saying sexual harassment will stop when victims stop allowing it.

Neo C.

The news about the Clinton campaign manipulating DNC is really big, but there isn't any thread about it. So yeah, I miss the former pace. :(

TTOOLL

I wonder what Evilore thinks about it.

Btw, a summon option like @Evilore would be nice to implement.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The news about the Clinton campaign manipulating DNC is really big, but there isn't any thread about it. So yeah, I miss the former pace. :(
Agreed. Seeing big news break and not seeing a thread on GAF with play-by-play updates (social media links or otherwise) feels really weird. I liked GAF when it was more of a news aggregate for gaming and OT... I don't get the same impression these days.

No, it's fucking boring. I might post once per day now because the topics I care about get bumped once per day in OT and maybe 1 page per day in gaming.

It makes me laugh to see people bemoaning the old state of GAF with <1 post per day as if they contributed to what made this site great. Lurkers don't contribute to the community because they produce no content. If people don't start posting and conversing with one another, the site may as well not exist.

Hopefully this place can recover to that level of activity, because I'd love to remain an active member on both this and the other site. But I can't help but roll my eyes when I see people who never bothered posting crowing about how things are so much better now. If they were more active, the forum would have more closely reflected the community they wanted (crazy, huh?).

Bluecondor

The site is still exactly the same for me. I check the gaming side a few times a day to see if any new or interesting games have been announced (particularly in the PSVR thread), and I usually browse the OT forum once a day.

88 persons posted in this thread, which has now 5-6 hours.
Maybe because this is a thread that actually promoted conversation and discussion.

No, it's too slow. But I'd been trying to break the habit of spending too much time here anyway. Not going to join RE because I don't want to start doing that again.

11 year member here. I replaced all my bookmarks. I used GAF for news and updates, that’s not really happening anymore so i bounced. Sad stuff but after seeing how Evilore managed the whole thing i can’t really blame the community. Such a terrible fuck up.

ItemCollector

Neo Member
I'm just happy my account was finally approved.

I understand completely the situation however and honestly it should have happened a lot sooner.

DadEggs

threads actually stay on topic here because there's not enough activity to derail them.

pre-era i'd check the opening page or two of a thread, and then read the last page to see how far from the original post conversation had gotten.

i'd say the worst part is the lack of gaming news content...which is really why i came to gaf in the first place, so if this place doesn't provide i'll slow down visiting, which im okay with because I was trying to slow down gaming anyways in general.

like i said in my first post on the topic though is there are pros and cons to each forum

why i think gaf wont be able to bounce back is because what made gaf great was that it grew organically. i don't think it can buy/force content

David___

Banned
Eh, not really. I was planning to switch back and forth but this place is a ghost town. I mean, this thread is averaging 22.5 posts an hour and that seems like its happening around the whole site now, if not slower

Mikey Jr.

I like how apparently all the crappy posters left, and now only the "elite" and "genius" posters are left to make well thought out posts with sources cited for every argument.

Fucking lol.

My favourite communities are dead. Plain and simple. That was 50% of my time here.

30% was about reading brand new news. Like a news aggregator. 20% was interacting with other posters and reading their opinions.

The vast vast majority of that is gone. I don't come here for breaking news. Sometimes it takes hours for something to pop up on here.

ape2man

Eh, not really. I was planning to switch back and forth but this place is a ghost town. I mean, this thread is averaging 22.5 posts an hour and that seems like its happening around the whole site now, if not slower

i dont know why that is bad? i now know can have a meaningful conversation

You could have meaningful conversations before, too. This site still has the same ratio of shitposts and one-off comments that leave little to be discussed. Not that you really tried before though, right?

Gotta echo the cringiness of people suggesting that those who left the site were not great members of the community. Just because y'all post less doesn't make your posts more meaningful or knowledgeable.

David___

Banned

It was possible to have one before. Now stuff like live event watching threads(like the current Twitch marathon for Yugioh or the conferences from E3 ) are pretty much dead since the bulk of enjoyment is seeing peoples' reactions to the ridiculous shit that happens during it in real time.

Joe T.

It is dead

This amuses me because people started saying the same thing of Final Fantasy XI back in 2006. It's still up and running over 11 years later.

Things are slower than I'd like, though I'm hoping it never returns to that crazy, breakneck speed it was at a few weeks ago because too many of the posts wound up being one word/sentence replies that contributed nothing of value to the discussion.

theWB27

This amuses me because people started saying the same thing of Final Fantasy XI back in 2006. It's still up and running over 11 years later.

Things are slower than I'd like, though I'm hoping it never returns to that crazy, breakneck speed it was at a few weeks ago because too many of the posts wound up being one word/sentence replies that contributed nothing of value to the discussion.

If you want a lively community you're bound to get those types of things. It's really simple math.

The change I like the most is the lack of hundreds of reactionary one-liner no-substance responses that plagued many threads of the past. Every news thread was filled with pages and pages of no content posts which you had to sift through to read something with substance.

Threads were longer and moved faster, but large part of the "content" was reaction posts repeating the same sentiment over and over.
This.

highrider

Banned
I like how apparently all the crappy posters left, and now only the "elite" and "genius" posters are left to make well thought out posts with sources cited for every argument.

Nobody is really saying that though. The ot was shit to a lot of people. We lost intelligent posters for sure, but I won’t miss the self righteous cliques of posters that patrolled topics like they were on the clock.

JordanN

Banned
You could have meaningful conversations before, too. This site still has the same ratio of shitposts and one-off comments that leave little to be discussed. Not that you really tried before though, right?
Old GAF had way too many dogpiles coupled with Mods who were willing to turn a blind eye because they were protecting their favourites.

So conversations existed but it felt like walking on eggshells sometimes. The current forum's climate forbids any of that rockstar personality.

Ivellios

Fucking lol.

My favourite communities are dead. Plain and simple. That was 50% of my time here.

30% was about reading brand new news. Like a news aggregator. 20% was interacting with other posters and reading their opinions.

The vast vast majority of that is gone. I don't come here for breaking news. Sometimes it takes hours for something to pop up on here.

Not "recruiting" or anything but if your favorite communities moved elsewhere, why dont you go too?

Gaming feels mostly fine - community could use some more posts. Merging community forums into main ones would be good idea as old threads would get more traffic.

Joe T.

If you want a lively community you're bound to get those types of things. It's really simple math.

I guess that depends on your definition of the word, but I'm looking for more than numbers. I'm looking for both information and adult/civil behavior when taking part in the discussions. I didn't join GAF/NeoGAF because it was the most active forum on the internet, GameFaqs and IGN probably held that title back during their respective launches, if I'm not mistaken. They were both great sources of information at one point, but neither ever appealed to me as forums for discussion - I don't mean that as a criticism against their members, it just wasn't for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom