• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you happy with GAF's current pace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTOOLL

I think I am.

It doesn't feel like the same people posting 24/7 making it impossible to follow any topic anymore.

I just hope lurkers start posting a bit more and we are good, imo.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It's a little slower, but at the same time there's less of the threads I skipped anyway. I'm mostly here for the gaming side which could use a little boost.

ajim

Its slower. But it's steadily picking up pace.

Still decent interactions happening tho which is important and as the dust settles, a new dawn will rise.

Big opportunity to really take learnings from where gaf was and improve as a community together.

Aurongel

OT feels like a ghost town. New blood won't really reclaim what was lost, that's something you can't really will back into existence.

Kule

Somewhere between how it was and where it is now would be good. It used to move way too fast that a lot of the time there was little reason to type out anything with substance as it would just seemingly get lost in the void.

It wouldn't hurt to become a bit faster, specially here in the OT.
But the way it was before, if you missed a couple of hours you'd get new topics with 3 or 4 pages already. I usually entered the thread, read the first 10-15 posts and went straight to the last page to see where it was headed.

We're missing those relationship screw up threads though.

Garruson

OT feels like a ghost town. New blood won't really reclaim what was lost, that's something you can't really will back into existence.

It's one of those instances where if you don't let it have a chance then it won't happen.

Also I think that's an extremely selfish stance to have, that because the old people left who posted a lot it won't ever be good again. I lurked for ages, and personally hardly ever posted because the majority of people here were self-righteous, looked down on junior members for the most part and thought they were the bees-knees - which is evident from all the talk of the place never being the same again and new people not being able to recover it.

It's like working retail, and your core group of friends move on and new people come in and things aren't the same anymore... for you. The new people make it their own and I'm sure when they work more and leave it's not the same for them neither. Just depends if you're happy to get stuck in with other people and not hold high the other people on a pedestal. Of course it won't be the same, doesn't mean it can't be as good, just not the same.

Froli

It's not a "little" slower, It's in a fucking snail pace.

It is like a city got bomb and we are the few survivors that stayed and trying to rebuild the community. With so few of us I really have some doubts.
Majority of the energetic, creative and very active posters went to another settlement.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
It’s fine, and it DEFINITELY has a new tone (the new site has the same tone as before, which has good and bad with it). Quite a bit less self righteousness (and fewer people to dog pile)

GAF is different but it’s still good.

PJV3

It is like a city got bomb and we are the few survivors that stayed and trying to rebuild the community. With so few of us I really have some doubts.
Majority of the energetic, creative and very active posters went to another settlement.

Yeah, and there seem to be whole groups and communities that have been wiped out, I'm gradually coming here fewer times in the day.

It's not good, and not worth it just to see a few less Trump threads you didn't have to read.

highrider

Banned
Yeah it’s pretty slow, but if I’m honest I couldn’t stand half the cats that camped out in ot so no big loss there. It will pick up, but the guys running the forum are clearly struggling with it. It’s a tough transition from the top to being humbled, then realizing the way you operated before won’t work anymore.

It's a bit slow but less knee-jerk also. I never felt good posting on OT before. I don't disagree with the politics of oldGAF but the way it was expressed made the whole place feel really toxic to be around.

highrider

Banned

Yeah you’re not wrong, but the silver lining is the creative and energetic posters pretty much lived on the forum and it became a echo chamber. I looked at the other settlement, Slayven is a mod. Slayven.

prag16

Banned
It's probably a bit slower than would be ideal.

But I definitely don't miss the breakneck speed some threads could move at previously (and at the new site now). Makes it impossible to follow any kind of discussion, having to wade through pages and pages of content-less one liners and drivebys. Those type of posts still exist here now, but there's far less in number, and there's no insane rush to post on the first page of a "big" thread anymore.

So while things could probably use a bit of a kickstart, the slower pace has its advantages. I mean, did they REALLY need three topics about TLoU2 trailer on the new site? Two of which eclipsed 40-50 pages??

Just have to hope it's not SO slow that it may shrivel and die... that seems like a possibility unfortunately.

KurtFehl

RIP NeoGAF. According to the announcement though, it seems that there will be a new registration set up. Some people who may have been waiting for years may finally be approved. This is something that should have probably been done a whole lot sooner though. Things might pick up, but it just isn't the same.

Pesmerga00

It's a lot slower, and could use an infusion of new members. While quite a few very good, positive posters left, the ones who made this forum toxic did as well. I just hope we can hit a middle ground. Somewhere in between "v" and ResetEra would be ideal.

xkramz

It's drastically a slower forum... like the NYC terror attack thread, and other curre t event thread are just boring because of lack of users commenting ( what happened in NYC is devastating btw )

snacknuts

we all knew her
OT is pretty dead so not really. Hopefully it picks up with new blood.

Pretty much this. I come to GAF almost exclusively for OT and it's a ghost town now (as of this posting, the last thread on the first page (50 ppp) was updated almost 17 hrs ago). Makes me sad.

Kimawolf

Id not mind it picking up a bit here in OT. Gaming though I like the pace it moves at. I can read threads now and just read 2 comments then skip to page 100.

It has been steadily picking up which is good. And to has forced others to be creative. Hell I woulda never bothered making OT threads for events and big games but here I am.

GAF was like a train which got derailed and all the cars tipped over cause thr conductor was sleep at the wheel. We the crew are picking up the cars and inspecting the engine as we get it back up on the tracks. It is slowly picking up steam, i still think in time It will get back to a good pace.

It's picked up a fair bit on the gaming side this past week, thanks to the deluge of games from the PS gamescom conference, and sales for the ps4 and switch hw. It feeling more and more alive and it looks like those who used to lurk or post very little are posting more and more, could be wrong though.

I mean the iPhone x hype on here is almost non existent, whereas before the iPhone related discussions garnered a good amount of post and threads.

It'll get better, there are probably many posters who are waiting for the dust to settle and see how the changes announced so far affect gaf Long term.They are probably hedging their beta to see which place to call home and if the tone in discussion changes from what they are used to.

Jenenser

its to slow.
dust needs to settle , some users will come back then i guess. new communitys will form.

or it just dies slowly.

on the same time i checket resetera today and i just can't bring myself to join.
theres a thread that is about an article on the building of the pyramids and 1/4 of the guys complain about the use of the word primitive (for a 4000 year old culture... -_-*).
i dont miss that... at all.

Blam

Honestly I'm fine with it, because GAF needed to slow down. Quite a shitload of just drive by posts would happen on every thread with people commenting really basic shit that would just fill up their post count.

Frankly I did the same at a point but I stopped a while back.

its to slow.
dust needs to settle , some users will come back then i guess. new communitys will form.

or it just dies slowly.

on the same time i checket resetera today and i just can't bring myself to join.
theres a thread that is about an article on the building of the pyramids and 1/4 of the guys complain about the use of the word primitive (for a 4000 year old culture... -_-*).
i dont miss that... at all.

There's a shitload of trolls there.

edit: thanks for taking my post as implying every member on era was a troll. I wasn't I have literally seen people mentioning that there is a lot of trolls, and shitposters who are sitting on their accounts acting normal. I'm not having a merry time painting anyone as a bunch of trolls at all. you're implying a lot of things just stop. If you want to know why I got banned just fact check it m8 before you spew random crap like that.

OT is dead, and I spend much less time on GAF which is probably a good thing, but not like this.

The discussions on the competitions forums are great btw, but it is active, that's the difference.

prag16

Banned
There's a shitload of trolls there.
The mods over there really do seem to be trying at least. At least some of them.

I see assholes from BOTH sides being banned, and I see warnings before banning for lighter offenses. The increased transparency is nice too.

That said, the entirety of the toxic element did in fact move over there. But at least for now they're laying a bit lower than they typically did over here. We'll see if that lasts.

The change I like the most is the lack of hundreds of reactionary one-liner no-substance responses that plagued many threads of the past. Every news thread was filled with pages and pages of no content posts which you had to sift through to read something with substance.

Threads were longer and moved faster, but large part of the "content" was reaction posts repeating the same sentiment over and over.

Edit: forum activity seems to be slowing down more and more, feels a lot more dead now than it did few days ago when I made this post. Doesn't feel like this place is going to recover. RIP GAF? :'(

The change I like the most is the lack of hundreds of reactionary one-liner no-substance responses that plagued many threads of the past. Every news thread was filled with pages and pages of no content posts which you had to sift through to read something with substance.

Threads were longer and moved faster, but large part of the "content" was reaction posts repeating the same sentiment over and over.

Everytime in the Trump/Brexit threads.

NigelFarage.gif

Youplayedyourself.gif

Zero sympathy. etc etc etc

The quality of discussion on those threads was terrible.

Sad to see this place go under, it was the one great forum among them all. I didn’t even play video games when I joined (I somewhat play now with my son) I just liked the discussion and moderation.

Pour one out for GAF.

trikster40

I’m still getting a feel on the new vibe. Prior to the incident, I rarely posted in Off topic because it just seemed you’d get blasted for posting an opinion that was different than some people, so I rarely bothered because there was no point in having an actual discussion.

I definitely like the slower pace for now, it gives people time to actually post some meaningful comments that can spark a discussion rather than a one-sided debate.

T.v

It's a bit too slow for my liking. Ideally it'll end up somewhere between this and how it was.

lem0n

It seems like we can actually have decent, adult conversation now, as a lot of the hyper-reactionary crybabies are gone. I don't have to sift through pages of people just calling everything "abhorrent" or "disgusting" and leaving the thread. It's nice.

Gloggins

Nope, it's moving at a snail's pace through molasses. There are indeed less filler, reactionary posts from people trying to look cool at least.

Blam

I'm hella happy there's less filler posts, but new people don't come overnight they are going to be waiting obviously.

lem0n

I'm hella happy there's less filler posts, but new people don't come overnight they are going to be waiting obviously.

It would be cool if the current attitude stayed about the same, but became more active. Definitely would become my favorite forum again!

Not as slow as my favorite forum that took a death knell and has been trying to come back either but not fast either. I prefer medium sized communities but this may never reach that.

I'm happy the trigger happy moderation is gone (I know what I've deserved, and I know where the moderator is just being a dick), on gaming and on off topic. It's why I don't want to move to Reset Era, because I'm already seeing people banned there for innocuous things probably due to a similar mod team.

Blam

It would be cool if the current attitude stayed about the same, but became more active. Definitely would become my favorite forum again!

Yeah would definitely want this to be the case. Maybe the forum upgrade will further push this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom