• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Developement Season 5 Announced (Trailer)

octiny

Premieres May 29th on Netflix.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
so what did everyone think of s5 part 2?

i have to admit i only made it through the first 6 episodes. it was very tough to sit through. the show is not very funny anymore. the callbacks are tired as hell at this point. they are doing callbacks to things that were already callbacks. on top of that they refuse to move on from this rather lame storyline about Fakeblock. this is seriously the main story for two seasons now?

it really feels like they are stretching content. i already suspected as much when they initially announced chopping the season into two parts. but the flashback scenes are painful to sit through, seeing some no name actor do an imitation of Seth Rogen do an imitation of George Sr. is just, why am i sitting through this? "oh, look, young Lindsey and young Buster are the same as the old ones." it's weirdly pandering in a way the show never seemed to be. it's like that silent marching band joke, stale gags written by standard old school tv writers while the original AD was startingly new and fresh.

it felt like spinning the wheels, like they can't get the old actors anymore so they have to fill time with something. they Maeby story is, eh, she has an interesting look as the old person, but that's about it. it feels like it's spinning the wheels. the stuff about the court trial, it's fine, whatever, but only makes me think about Mock Trial With J. Reinhold and the talking ads and the Franklin CD and all of that funny stuff. where is the funny? it's not there anymore =(

Last edited:
so what did everyone think of s5 part 2?

i have to admit i only made it through the first 6 episodes. it was very tough to sit through. the show is not very funny anymore. the callbacks are tired as hell at this point. they are doing callbacks to things that were already callbacks. on top of that they refuse to move on from this rather lame storyline about Fakeblock. this is seriously the main story for two seasons now?

it really feels like they are stretching content. i already suspected as much when they initially announced chopping the season into two parts. but the flashback scenes are painful to sit through, seeing some no name actor do an imitation of Seth Rogen do an imitation of George Sr. is just, why am i sitting through this? "oh, look, young Lindsey and young Buster are the same as the old ones." it's weirdly pandering in a way the show never seemed to be. it's like that silent marching band joke, stale gags written by standard old school tv writers while the original AD was startingly new and fresh.

it felt like spinning the wheels, like they can't get the old actors anymore so they have to fill time with something. they Maeby story is, eh, she has an interesting look as the old person, but that's about it. it feels like it's spinning the wheels. the stuff about the court trial, it's fine, whatever, but only makes me think about Mock Trial With J. Reinhold and the talking ads and the Franklin CD and all of that funny stuff. where is the funny? it's not there anymore =(

I haven't watched P2 yet, but P1 was awful, coming from someone who really loved the original S4 and (obviously) the original series. I agree with all of that - I think the "young George and Lucille Bluth" moments alone are so lazy that they feel out of place. In the OS, when you saw the young Bluth children they felt like normal kids in an absurd and shitty family situation, which added some dark humor to where they all ended up. At most they were prototypes for what they would be as adults, and it was obvious how Lucille and Sr. had started to wreck them.

Last edited:

MC Safety

Yeah, I watched the last bits of season 5. It was a jumble, and really hard to get through. The ending was terrible, too.

Whatever magic the show had has expired. The characters are now mostly unlikable. I also hated the addition of Dusty and Tobias' new family.

A "blue myself" callback?

I hope this is just a bad trailer because I sincerely want to like this. But I can't lie, it's feeling awkward..

I LOVED the older seasons when the show was in it's prime. Top shelf comedy. Great personality. I'm afraid it's kinda overstaying it's welcome.

LordRaptor

I enjoyed it, it had some funny gags. The ending was disappointing, but it at least wrapped stuff up. Fuck you House Of Cards.
I'm annoyed they split it up the way they did, because whatever pacing they might have had was ruined as a result.

Going more experimental with S4 was the real mistake I think - S5 is punchier and funnier and closer to the original series.

seeing some no name actor do an imitation of Seth Rogen do an imitation of George Sr. is just, why am i sitting through this?

That was Taran Killam from SNL / Killing Gunther. Young Lucille was his real life wife Cobie Smulders (from How I Met Your Mother and Maria Hill in the MCU).
And them being different actors is itself a meta joke.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
And them being different actors is itself a meta joke.

oh yeah, i get it. it's just not funny. like the joke that the one SNL guy's name is Murphy Brown. "get it? it's meta!" i don't care, it's not funny. just having a nondescript character with some tic added on because a writer thought they were being clever does not equal comedy for me. fwiw i don't keep track of these faceless unfunny SNL character actors.

i have heard that "the flashbacks are supposed to be bad". lol. that doesn't help. "it's supposed to be bad!" well they succeeded beyond their wildest expectations.

Last edited:

LordRaptor

oh yeah, i get it. it's just not funny. like the joke that the one SNL guy's name is Murphy Brown. "get it? it's meta!" i don't care, it's not funny. just having a nondescript character with some tic added on because a writer thought they were being clever does not equal comedy for me. fwiw i don't keep track of these faceless unfunny SNL character actors.

i have heard that "the flashbacks are supposed to be bad". lol. that doesn't help. "it's supposed to be bad!" well they succeeded beyond their wildest expectations.

I mean... you obviously didn't 'get it', because they're not flashbacks.
They're draft renactments from a netflix true crime documentary called Making A Monster produced by Ron Howard

#Phonepunk#

Banned
oh well when you say that, now i find it hilarious. /s

look, when they would do a fake tv show in the past it was for 10-15 seconds tops. this stuff dragged on for a full 4 minutes. it was agonizing.

Last edited:

MC Safety

I mean... you obviously didn't 'get it', because they're not flashbacks.
They're draft renactments from a netflix true crime documentary called Making A Monster produced by Ron Howard

Yeah, but I think the idea is you're supposed to think they're flashbacks until the big reveal, right?

I think I forgot the episodes as I was watching them. Or maybe I wasn't paying enough attention.

jolof96

I thought they were ok, I blitzed them in one sitting. I still think they should have stopped after season 3 though

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i finished the last two. big meh here. at some point it felt like they were outsmarting themselves and undercutting all the shocking reveals over and over with twists.

really poorly made. just end this thing. it’s a zombie of its former self

LordRaptor

Yeah, but I think the idea is you're supposed to think they're flashbacks until the big reveal, right?

I mean... AD setting up a joke way in advance, then revealing the joke and recontextualising previous scenes is classic AD.
FWIW I think Taran Killam was doing a better Jeffrey Tambor impression than Seth Rogan did

Top Bottom