• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S6 |OT| You know Diggle, I'm all out of island stories - Thursdays 9/8c

So there's another rumor from Reddit that is looking pretty true right now...

Oh do tell... or link or whatever.

That was a pretty great premiere. Part of the problem I had with Flash and Legends is that despite ending on equally (arguably) baffling cliffhangers they seemed ready to just do everything in their power to return to the status quo by the end of the first episode. Flash has Barry coming back and is perfectly fine by the end of the episode, Legends has the cliffhanger they wrapped the last season on settled in a matter of minutes and despite a time skip they are all getting back to normal by the end of that episode just with some minor changes. It just felt so hollow and made the endings they had setup in the previous season feel completely wasted and really just kind of ruins the ending cliffhanger if you just do nothing with it.

Arrow though doesn't follow suit. We start with things SEEMINGLY back to normal but you quickly realize things are not as they seem and while some aspects are predictable (no fucking way Samantha was going to be alive after every trailer they had for the new season showed Oliver taking care of William) others such as Thea's death fake out are not, while it seemed unlikely they'd kill her off she had a much more subdued role in the previous season so if they were going to kill of any of the main cast she was the most likely. Although shes just in a coma that leaves her open both to return or to give an equally crushing loss later on down the road if she ends up not returning.

On top of that you have team Arrow taking a hell of a lot of L's in a single episode. The police station gets blown up as does the Arrow Cave, Diggle has something wrong with him (seems more physical then mental maybe? Just going by the scar towards the end of the episode) which causes Wild Dog to get injured and nearly die (great save/stunt by Oliver here) Black Siren beats Canary twice in the same episode although both fights are brief. Thea is in a coma and at the end although Oliver seems to finally making a bit of headway with William the ending happens and his identify is revealed... again. Edit: Also poor Quentin is just pain and agony incarnate.

Despite everyone's dismay at the Olicity shit being back they really do a good job of at least downplaying it and making it not seem very important much like in the last season, it feels more natural and they aren't hanging over each other or making it all about them and the drama around them so its much more tolerable. Black Siren was just a treat, certainly brings it right away and really does feel like a very threatening villain right from the get go and since shes a series regular this season it looks like we can look forward to seeing a lot of her. I just hope she doesn't end up being over used. We do see a glimpse of what could be the mastermind behind her and the real villain for this season who seems to save her after Quentin shoots her but we'll have to see how all of that plays out. I don't remember hearing about them already revealing the villain for this season but I could be wrong.

Effect

I dunno, Legends was pretty funny...

I guess Arrow wins because Black Siren was dope, as well as him being outed... again.

Oh I agree Legends was pretty good as well. I think Arrow had the better overall story though and of course action.

Also not really surprising that they write out thea for a while .
They have been doing it more and more since season 4 .
I wonder if it's them or Willa want to do other projects .

Watching now.

How many times has the SCPD precinct been shot up? At least once a season?

All the police stations in these comics show must have contractors on speed dial .
They get destroy so often that people always have work .

Dereck

EpAbBH4.gif

QdTMtJt.png

MAJOR SPOILERS IF TRUE

Diggle came back from the island with serious injuries that he keeps secret from the team. These injuries will lead to his death later in the season

Honestly, I'm okay with this.
Diggle has pretty much been spinning his wheels since the HIVE deal was finished.

Whatever happened to Wozzly and his disturbing posts

I was wondering this yesterday.

ZeroX03

God damn. Episode was only okay until that hell of an ending. I don't mean to be too judgemental though, it's a running trend with these premieres that they're pretty average and based around restoring the status quo. And it's obvious that for at least a few people things aren't that cut and dry which is great. Anyway, the identity reveal needs to stick for once. Just go through with it. It's what I wanted last year.

Olicity is great as a background thing. As long as they're happy, it's perfectly palatable.

MAJOR SPOILERS IF TRUE

Diggle came back from the island with serious injuries that he keeps secret from the team. These injuries will lead to his death later in the season

Where did those spoilers come from? We just saw from set photos that
Diggle is alive and well
. They'd need some serious advance script access to know that shit was coming.

They have been doing it more and more since season 4 .
I wonder if it's them or Willa want to do other projects .

As of last season, Willa is only contracted for 14 out of 23 episodes. So she'll be in a coma for a while to keep her out of action. I think it's a combination of free time for her (she travels with her boyfriend a lot) and also it saves the show money.

ZeroX03

"not everyone will survive the island"
"Literally every major character survives"

Ugghhh

They said that there would be consequences inbetween life and death, which is true for Diggle and Thea at the very least

Plus the confirmed the main cast returning ages ago anyway

Man that was great. Really appreciate that the momentum from last season doesn't seem to be lost.
This episode also really cemented it for me that Juliana Harkavy is awesome as Black Canary.

KonradLaw

Very good premiere, easily the best out of Arrowverse shows. The S5 ending had some big consequences that didn't just get reseted in premiere. Black Siren is always fun and Dinah is the Black Canary we should have gotten long time ago.

Also, great to see paramilitary operation that's actually highly efficent. We've seem various groups descent on Star City before, but neither HIVE, not League ever felt like not jobbers. Here they actually acomplished a lot.

Plus Always lovew when James Bamford direct arrow episodes. That jump from water or oliver using bad guy as an anchor for rope arrow..so badass:D

Not sure why they are doing Oliver getting exposed again, unless they plan to have him be out in the open now and not find a way out of it.

Although I don't think he would want that with the kid now. Lol @ Samantha living long enough to see Oliver and tell him to raise their boy, then dying. I hope the island flashbacks don't last the entire season.

Katie Cassidy is much better as Black Siren.

Quentin has met The Flash, knows about metahumans, Supergirl, not sure why he is scoffing at parallel universes.

I like Rene actually getting a suit. Hoss

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Good premiere. Probably my favorite of the CW returns. Only issue is that they all seemingly have to push the clock ahead 5-6 months to make up for summer, and usually things are brought back as close to the status quo as possible. Takes a little bite out of the storytelling.

Action was really good this week. They still have some of the best stunts in the game. I'm a little concerned about the introduction of a kid, cause they're usually annoying, but the show seemed semi-aware of that. William was mostly quiet and seemed to be coming around near the end of the episode. I just hope we're not getting season long I HATE YOU DAD moments.

Bluth54

Relax, Ollie. This is what...the 4th time you have been outed as the Green Arrow? It's gonna be fine.

Hey Oliver when Barry offers to go back in time and stop the photographer from taking your picture you say "NO!".
He'll just screw things up so badly that all super hero secret identities will be revealed in the new timeline.

Ollie should kill off the Green Arrow and introduce a new persona the following week. It’d work. Star City still thinks The Arrow and Green Arrow are separate people.

I was hoping Curtis died tbh. he's alright but you don't need two felicities, and that mask will never not be awful.

tbh every member of the team worked so well together last season that I don't mind that they're all alive, but still somebody has gotstago after that big explosion. oh well, they put Thea in a coma, I guess thats something.

good episode. man they really stepped up their action game again once S5 hit. this continued that quality. that dive Oliver did for Wild Dog was so dope.

strafer

That was a great premiere although I'm disappointed in that there was no big casualties, yeah, Olivers mom died.

Would have been awesome if Thea died right there.

DCTV has a really hard time killing of characters.

Watching last night, I kept thinking, "Not the cave! Not the cave again! Take Diggle! Take Curtis! Just don't destroy their base in the premiere!" Of course, knowing this show's luck, it's going to be fried by the end of the season.

That was a great premiere although I'm disappointed in that there was no big casualties, yeah, Olivers mom died..

Hate to break it to you, but she's been dead for a while.

ZeroX03

Anyone else prefer Wild Dog's old outfit? His new one just makes him look like Vigilante. His old look was impractical but basically perfection to the comics. He hasn't missed a beat in how cool he was. And fuuuuuuuuuuuuck yes at the gratuitous shirtless shot. That's Arrow.

The shots where Oliver shoots out of the water and when he saves Wild Dog are the best (even if the latter had weird continuity editing).

And yes, Katie Cassidy is so much better here than she ever was as Laurel.

yeah she has so much more swagger as a villain. I remember how wack she was in the early seasons but this is where she's hitting her stride

I just hope that when they inevitably turn her good (?) that she can transition well.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Anyone else prefer Wild Dog's old outfit?

*raises hand*

His old look had a simple charm to it. New one is too busy. Doesn't stand out when they're fighting in the dark.

strafer

Also Lance needs to go on a vacation..poor guy has been through a lot, shooting is daughter, seeing both his daughters die and come back to life and then die again.

There's so much a man can take.

Wouldn't surprise me if Lance became the villain at some point, reaching his breaking point.

Also Lance needs to go on a vacation..poor guy has been through a lot, shooting is daughter, seeing both his daughters die and come back to life and then die again.

Wouldn't surprise me if Lance became the villain at some point, reaching his breaking point.

Truth is you would think lance would be in a better place since his other daughter was around for 5 months.
Still that was more a LoT problem along with ray.

Wag

Ragman can survive a nuclear blast. He's their tank but you wouldn't know it from Arrow last season.

At least the flashbacks are only 5mos instead of 5yrs. Progress?

carlsojo

Black Siren is just the best. Would have been a pretty crap premiere without her and Faust.

I think Legends had the best premiere of the Arrowverse this season.

I agree. That seen with Black Siren was brutal.

On a side note, there's a reason the Casey Jones look stayed classic.With all of the armored heroes out there and all of the uber-kevlar, Iit was refreshing to see an everyman hero with such a simple design.

Ithil

A lot of good action in this episode. A little disappointing to have the cliffhanger copped out as literally one person died and it was the expected one. I'm not saying kill off half the cast but don't introduce a big cliffhanger if you don't plan to follow through.

Is Deathstroke allowed to just walk around? Surely he is a wanted man, especially in Star City.

Magwik

Banned
Lance has done nothing to deserve this torture
Being the best actor on the show has only gave him an awful life

Wag

Is Deathstroke allowed to just walk around? Surely he is a wanted man, especially in Star City.

He's a sociopath and a murderer, but then again so is Green Arrow. I guess these things don't matter much in Star City.

Top Bottom