• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield V |OT| EA (doesn't) want YOU!

I got the trail version with EA access. I have played the game for 3 hours now. Still haven't played all of the maps yet.

Initial first impression:

1. Game looks and sounds beautiful ,seems less buggy than the beta. Several changes have been made from the beta that overall speeds up the gameplay. Thank goodness they fixed the attrition system, now it is much more generous. Feels like a real battlefield now and not randos just popping shots at each other like in the beta.

2. The maps are pretty bland. Don't really see anything that makes them bad, but the locations and lack of prestige of the battles makes them unmemorable.

3. The gameplay is better than BF1 and less spamy and "chaotic" but in a good way.

4. The animation for when DBNO is tedious and needs to go.

5. Game has a lot of potential but now it feels like a appetizer rather than a meal.

Overall conclusion: I will but this game months later but not right now. Its got that Battlefront deja vu of small amount of content but not quite as bad as BF 2015

cormack12

Been playing this morning first few games on infantry. Quite good - has a different 'feel' about it. Gonna try the other game modes later. The company isn't as bad as I thought it would be but I don't see myself spending ages swapping out muzzle paint and stuff.

One thing that's been really bumming me out is the lack of numbered damage output when comparing weapons damage and the damage drop off per range in the armory screen. Which sucks because this was a feature in BF1.

It makes it really difficult to compare/contrast what weapons are best suited for what maps.

Yeah there's bars but it's not the same thing.

cormack12

One thing that's been really bumming me out is the lack of numbered damage output when comparing weapons damage and the damage drop off per range in the armory screen. Which sucks because this was a feature in BF1.

It makes it really difficult to compare/contrast what weapons are best suited for what maps.

Yeah there's bars but it's not the same thing.

Symthic should have data in a couple of weeks

http://forum.symthic.com/battlefield-v-general-discussion/11616-when-weapon-stats-will-be-released/

kingbean

I'm enjoying the game, but the medic guns are giving me a hard time. I'm giving up on being a medic and just gonna roll with assault for a while.

cryptoadam

Banned
Game is growing on me, but still missing a Rush/Operations mode.

The best times with this game is when you get a Grand Operations match that is a mini operations mode. I can see that this game would of worked out really well if they would of just done Operations again like BF 1 instead of this lame mismash mode (come on no one cares about the bomb planting mode) or focused on Rush again like BFBC2 or BF3. And F the map with conquest assault, I think its Hamada ? Just not fun. I could see that map working in operations but not a fan of conquest assault mode.

And enemies should drop health along with ammo. I just don't really dig the new health system though its not as bad as it was before.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying the game, but the medic guns are giving me a hard time. I'm giving up on being a medic and just gonna roll with assault for a while.

Do you not like the MP40? I'm loving the hell out of it as it's probably the most accurate smg with full upgrades.

I haven't even thought about upgrades. I'll try it more and see where that leads me.

Actually, I think your right. It's just that LMG and MMG's (particularly the KE7) are just way too overpowered right now.

Now that it's kind of caught on it's really ruining my fun and just making me not want to play. Plus I'm starting to think aimbots or esp are starting to pop up. Having a lot of suspect deaths compared to when the game launched.

It's time for clan stacking to fucking stop, this shit has been ruining BF for fucking years.

I'm not saying clans can't join up together, but pair them against another clan. Something needs to be done because I'm so sick of this shit and it's not fun for the majority of other people involved, I have no idea why DICE caters to this shit.

They need to do some sort of balanced matchmaking like a MOBA or something. Just so tired of this. Or at least give the option for players not in clans do get servers without clans or something.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Is it just me or is it damn near impossible to win as an attacker in grand operations? I don't know if I have seen an attacker win the bomb planting mode (really do not like this game mode).

kingbean

Actually, I think your right. It's just that LMG and MMG's (particularly the KE7) are just way too overpowered right now.

Now that it's kind of caught on it's really ruining my fun and just making me not want to play. Plus I'm starting to think aimbots or esp are starting to pop up. Having a lot of suspect deaths compared to when the game launched.

Do you play on PC?

cormack12

Finding it quite difficult this year. It's harder to play the objective if your team isn't arsed. Usually you could still force your way in individually but there's no chance of it this year. Savage.

EBE

I was supposed to receive a ranger set (firestorm) for pre-orderering but I haven't seen it arrive into my armory yet. What gives?

Skyn3t

Banned
fv1y2eygpwy11.jpg

*thread closed*

Add me and play with me and a friend. We aren't great but we run about 1.2 K/D and always play the objective.
NefariousBean on origin.

I sent a friend request.

Yeah your right about the smg's but I'm try out the suomi and see if that works better. For assault I'm actually really digging the SMLE, with the extended mag you got more than enough to take down anything. The only drawback is it's still top fed rather than a detachable mag so reloads take forever.

Mattdaddy

Man the connectivity issues are really starting to wear me thin. Probably 75% of the games I play it wont load the next map after a match ends. It just spins at a black screen or the post game screen forever, I have to completely go out to the dashboard (Xbox One X), close the game, then restart it. And I'm also getting a lot of games where I just straight up get disconnected mid match. Really sucks cause the gameplay is so much fun but I'm at the point where its just like "c'mon really?"

Looking at EA's forums this is a widespread issue so hopefully it'll get fixed soon but c'mon how is that not fixed up front that's shameful.

cryptoadam

Banned
Ok adding a breakthrough server listing has upped my thoughts on this game.

Medic is too tempting to play due to the unlimited health, but the guns kinda suck. But it makes sense because having medics with rifles would make them OP.

TheZink

Man the connectivity issues are really starting to wear me thin. Probably 75% of the games I play it wont load the next map after a match ends. It just spins at a black screen or the post game screen forever, I have to completely go out to the dashboard (Xbox One X), close the game, then restart it. And I'm also getting a lot of games where I just straight up get disconnected mid match. Really sucks cause the gameplay is so much fun but I'm at the point where its just like "c'mon really?"

Looking at EA's forums this is a widespread issue so hopefully it'll get fixed soon but c'mon how is that not fixed up front that's shameful.
Same issues for me too. Really annoying. It takes at least 5 min for the game just to start for me on a X.

Mattdaddy

Same issues for me too. Really annoying. It takes at least 5 min for the game just to start for me on a X.

Yep its frustrating. Looking at the forums some people were saying if you use advanced search and just filter by your region it helps... it might be a little better but I've still run into the issue a couple times even doing that.

Side note, nobody sleep on the Turner SMLE, its pretty nasty. Hits hard and drives tacks.

Yep its frustrating. Looking at the forums some people were saying if you use advanced search and just filter by your region it helps... it might be a little better but I've still run into the issue a couple times even doing that.

Side note, nobody sleep on the Turner SMLE, its pretty nasty. Hits hard and drives tacks.

It's an issue for me on PC as well, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

Advanced Search is janky af too, sometimes I have grand operations pop up when I have only conquest clicked as the game mode.

Naked Lunch

Its still early, but it feels like they fucked up the aim assist on consoles. Feels different from the beta. The aim assist is way too strong and noob friendly now. Taking a large chunk out of skilled play. Im pretty pissed about it because it felt perfect in the beta. I'll have to test it more but i hope it doesnt have snap to enemy L trigger aiming. That was the critical flaw of BF1.

The map design seems to be trash as well. Some of these flags are so close together. DICE forgot how to make BF maps.

Last edited:
Been playing in ultra with RTX on low in 3440x1440. So far it seems to hover around the 60fps mark, some times it dips but nothing major so far. I heard it depends on the map/level. Hoping they patch in the optimizations pretty soon as its a very pretty game!

DarkestHour

Banned
I'm absolutely loving this game coming from absolutely hating BF1. Bravo. Can't wait to see how good it is a few months from now.

I managed to get my copy on Friday Nov 16th, no pre-order walked into a BestBuy, saw it on a shelf and walked up to the counter casually, no problem. I did play abit of the open beta and from what I played I liked, although I felt the maps weren't overly exciting, I think it was Rotterdam and Narvik and Rotterdam was decent I suppose.

Into the full game and the gun play reminds me of the feel of Battlefield 1, once EA gotten it tighted up serveral months after launch, much to my surprise I was able to get on and jump right online no issues, before official launch, colour me impressed!

It wasn't all smooth sailing though, I've noticed a fair bit of pop up from a distance and on the first day playing on the Aerodome map, I got stuck in beside an airplane hanger in this void, where it was like I was on the second floor of the hanger but in a transparent box beside it, you could see enemy fire and tanks but your shots would just hit an invisible wall, all things considered it all went over better than the Battlefield 1 launch.

As its been mentioned already the gun play is tight, I usually play the Recon class and I absolutely love the Twisted Steel map, Hamada, Arras and Aerodome (if I'm not stuck in a void) visually this game feels improved since a bland looking beta and the sound as it usually is with most Battlefield games, is on point especially when wearing headphones.

I would gripe that I think there should definitely be more tanks and planes available, especially in modes like Conquest. The progression system for planes is a little cruel making you unlock the ability to drop bombs, when flying a plane seems to be a limited experience, cause tanks and planes are too limited.

I feel like Battlefield V needs a few adjustments yet, I will admit it checked off more of the right boxes than Battlefield 1 did at launch and that game turned into one of the most underrated Battlefield experiences in my opinion, it eventually ended up feeling exactly like I wanted it too.

For me most importantly so far, Battlefield V has been really fun to play, I think with some of the same support Battlefield 1 got and the extra planned content on the way, I'll be happy with my decision to pick this up and play between Red Dead 2.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I played tons of BF1. In playing this I kind of wish they went with a different theme. It feels like more of the same coming from BF1. I've only played two conquest maps so far but it does seem like a fun game.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Wow medic guns are such absolute garbage...

And holy fuck, I thought I was buying a full release game not a fucking beta.

How the fuck can they excuse this many god damn bugs?!

Last edited:

Masatshi

didn't like BF1 much, but I am absolutely in love with BFV, even with this little content and those annoying bugs! gunplay and maps are fantastic! :messenger_fire:

Acidizer

Banned
WTF... are enemies are tagged automatically (the red doritos triangle) for everybody else?

Can't turn it off in options from what I can see... I searched and it said this was a big in the beta and would not make it to the final game.

Holding out on buying this for a bit but i really need a Battlefield fix soon! 4 on ps4 at the moment is a ghost town and 1 was a real let down for me. Hoping we get a modern military battlefield soon.

splattered

I seem to complain about every shooting game these days.... I guess i'm just getting old haha

Game is really fun, but at the same time very frustrating for me.

I almost always run the recon class in this series but I am somewhat struggling here. It really does feel like my shots completely miss when they should be dead on regardless of the distance. Sometimes it feels like I get half the damage a shot should have done. Sometimes I will shoot and it's a very blatant body shot but it doesn't even register at all.

There are times where I almost point blank hit someone as assault with the RPG and it does anywhere from 30-60 damage and that's it. WHAT? So is this tool just nerfed because it's designed to kill tanks and not specifically people? If so, that's stupid! It's a friggin RPG come on...

The grenades feel like they take FOREVER to explode once thrown even if I cook them and no matter how long I cook them for. People just turn and run away from them so what's the point? The most I ever seem to get out of a thrown grenade into the middle of a group of enemies is structural damage to the little sand bags people build.

Running around solo is also frustrating because NO ONE revives or throws out supplies. Medics run right past me on the ground if I'm down unless i'm in a random squad. Wow. Completely out of ammo and using my request wheel to ask for it and people ignore it. Not an ammo station anywhere near me and all I can do is shoot my useless pistol or stab at people with my melee.

Why do pistols seem severely underpowered in this game? I can shoot an enemy 4 or 5+ times dead on with a pistol and they still hit me with a few of their primary's bullets and down I go again to roll around on the ground to be ignore once more. As a recon class I have sniper rifle and a pistol. If someone rushes me all I can do is pull out my pistol and die. Not fun at all.

I don't seem to be having any connectivity issues that I can tell except for people warping around a bit at times. I have no problem getting into a match or continuing matches so that's good.

I played many of the previous battlefield games... BF3 is one of my favorite games. BFBC2 was awesome fun too.

This one just feels like more COD to me with major hit detection and weapon balance issues. Hope all my gripes aren't issues by design and they eventually get sorted out.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I seem to complain about every shooting game these days.... I guess i'm just getting old haha

I start to think that too before remembering YouTuber's like Xfactorgaming are older than me. Maybe more of an issue with the time to keep practiced in the fps genre. I played like 700 hours of BF4 and I'll be lucky today to get 150 from BF5

Last edited:

splattered

I start to think that too before remembering YouTuber's like Xfactorgaming are older than me. Maybe more of an issue with the time to keep practiced in the fps genre. I played like 700 hours of BF4 and I'll be lucky today to get 150 from BF5

Just curious, how old are you? I'm 38 now... closing in on 40 haha

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Medic guns are getting a buff, ke7 is getting nerfed.

And what about all the assault guns? Absolutely everything significantly destroys medic guns right now. Even fucking pistols.

And whoever thought it would he a great idea to switch medic and assault weapon classes should be looking for a new job...

Hadoukie

So I played the 10-hour trial. It feels kinda fun, with some exceptions. Starting guns SUCK. Was pretty frustrating until I unlocked the second tier. The Africa maps are awful, too, but the others are okay. As of now, game feels like it's unfinished, so I'm gonna wait a bit until they fix some of the bugs.

McHuj

The maps kind of suck. I really miss the modern type maps that we saw with BF3/4. Being able to transport troops with helicopters add the ability of the maps to scale vertically as well. Every thing seems very flat here in comparison (even the maps with hills.)

Got the game on Xbox from a friend for free. As relecutant as I am about the game I redeemed the key and downloaded. I for the most part have enjoyed all the BF games. This one had so much potential but I don’t know what they were thinking during the run up to release. It does seem toned down from what they originally showed and the gameplay is a step in the right direction. But the game is obviously not finished. Maps seem small from what I have played.

There is always one thing they do right and nail every time. War Tapes. As always this has amazing sound design.

Top Bottom