• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill and Ted 3 announcement

Grinchy

Banned

So this looks like it's actually happening. It'll probably be terrible but I will totally watch it. These really late comedy sequels never seem to do well, but here's hoping that this one will break the cycle.

Zoolander 2 was an abomination, Dumb and Dumber To was pretty bad, but I actually thought Super Troopers 2 was good. I'm not sure why people hated that one so much.

trikster40

69, dude!!

I love Bill and Ted, one of my favorite movies. Can’t wait to see What they do with this. Maybe get with Marvel on the de-aging tech tho.

Dthomp

I hope I'm wrong, but these years later movies just never capture the magic that the originals had.

Those body gestures. I wish they just broke out the voices. Might as well be in character.

OH HEY. IM BILL S PRESTON ESQUIRE. AND IM THEODORE TED LOGAN.

Looking forward to this.

120v

These really late comedy sequels never seem to do well, but here's hoping that this one will break the cycle.

Zoolander 2 was an abomination, Dumb and Dumber To was pretty bad, but I actually thought Super Troopers 2 was good. I'm not sure why people hated that one so much.

this is kinda different. bill and ted has a sci fi/fantasy bent where there's lots of stuff you could do for a sequel (i actually preferred the second movie).

not that i'm giving my hopes up here though

Maguro

I think the first movie was pretty great, if you like 80's culture and 80's movies. It was a product of it's time. Movies that didn't took themself too serious and beeing cheesy with full purpose. I see a lot of people making fun of 80's movies and saying they are crap. I watch them as a hobby, even the really bad ones and i can see why someone would feel that way. But a lot of movies back then weren't about beeing the next philosophical work. I think people who make those movies bad don't get the point. They just can't have fun with a movie.

I think this new movie could work if they just do exactly that. Don't try to make it all too serious just because its 2019.

Hissing Sid

Curiosity piqued. If they try the same shit with older actors I don’t think it’ll work. If they make age and growing older an integral theme of the film then it might be worth a watch.

Edited to add.

And please no uncanny Silicon Valley de-wrinkle software please. It looks like shit. How about you yaknow, write stuff around what you’ve got. Old fashioned I know.

Last edited:

J-Roderton

I've seen the first one a million times, but never the second, so I have no idea what this story would even be about.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
love it. the first film is a legend. the second film was perhaps even better than the first. if you haven't seen the second stop what you are doing and watch it right now!

this doesn't seem like a cash grab where a company just owns the IP and rubber stamps a shitty remake. this is the original writers and actors working together on a story they've had years to contemplate. yeah this will be a good time.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
never the second

the second is just as over the top as the first IMO. just the premise of the first film, 80s surfer dudes going through time collecting famous historical figures for a school final, it is incredible. could you ask for such an amazing, silly concept? Beethoven playing a bunch of synths in a Radio Shack. Gengis Khan decking himself out with sports gear and trashing a mall. Napoleon experiencing a modern water park. the scenarios almost write themselves. they nailed them in such a classic way.

the second film does that one more. now they get into a more spiritual realm, they explore the mystical consequences of such dimension altering technology that they have been privy too (the phone booth). they have tech/identity crisis, faced with their Evil Robot versions, who disrupt a school in the future where George Carlin brings in the guitarist from Faith No More to teach a VR class. from there the film careens into madness, with the duo dying and experiencing a purgatory as ghosts on earth, they take over the bodies of two police officers about to address a roomful of policemen (this scene is beyond funny) then crash the party at a New Age seance, whose frightened yuppies end up banishing them to the afterlife. this sequence is brilliant, they do an extended riff of Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal, by not just playing chess against Death but also Battleship and Twister. they go to Hell where they thrown horns at Satan and they go to Heaven where they quote "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" by Poison to God. the movie ends with a OTT showdown of time travel deus ex machinas as our duo defeats the time warriors and instantly go into an incredible concert broadcast around the world of "God Gave Rock n Roll to You" plays by Kiss. this leads into a montage detailing the triumphant pop culture rise of Wyld Stalyns, at one point it says they are playing a concert on the moon. it really is one of the great all-time film endings. i am glad to see them working together again and can't wait!

Last edited:
I actually hope they use the exact same equipment they used for the first two movies. This means the same cameras. The same sound equipment. The same props.

Reason being it will all be consistent as a trilogy, and it'll retain all the charm.

If a shiny new phone booth is brought in which reflects today's CGI advancements it will hurt what's already been established in the previous films as the phone booth from the future.

Grinchy

Banned
I hadn't seen the first Bill and Ted in decades, but I figured I'd check it out again.

It's absolutely terrible :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

MetalAlien

Banned
I hadn't seen the first Bill and Ted in decades, but I figured I'd check it out again.

It's absolutely terrible :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
Compared to what? The metric matters. Bill and Ted are terrible compared to a blow job from the Roman goddess Venus? Or terrible compared to Battlefield Earth?

Brofist

I've seen the first one a million times, but never the second, so I have no idea what this story would even be about.

I heard you can still watch movies that you haven't seen before with the proper equipment. Try it sometime, it's supposed to be fun.

J-Roderton

I heard you can still watch movies that you haven't seen before with the proper equipment. Try it sometime, it's supposed to be fun.

Nice! I thought all the the originals were lost in the Great Fire. Whew! Maybe YouFlix has it available to stream. Thanks.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
The internet is disappearing tomorrow though.

Edit... wrong quote :'(

Last edited by a moderator:

Grinchy

Banned
I watched the 2nd movie out of curiosity. When I saw these movies decades ago, I always liked the 2nd one more. After watching it now, I still think it's better than the first one.

One interesting thing I took away from watching these movies is they do a joke where they call each other fags multiple times. The thought of a certain type of people watching these movies today and getting overly upset by that made me chuckle a little.

Top Bottom