• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

I'll just post my thoughts from the other thread.

I'm good with the draw; neither guy dominated, both had their moments, I would say that Canelo has more of those moments. He countered Golovkin with some great shots that probably would have dropped lesser fighters, and he shrugged off or slipped Golovkin's best stuff. He also did great bodywork, something that GGG is known for too but was sorely lacking in this fight. Everyone that I've spoken to that thought GGG won point to his aggressiveness, but I just don't think he took advantage of it.

Beefy

I can see how you can get a draw as it was so damn close most rounds. I had it 8-4 to GGG. But could easy see some one give Canelo 3 rounds more. That other score was fucked up. But on to the next one.

I would love to see how the Charlo boys do against either one; I think they would present some real problems at middleweight. They're both big and mean, and stylistically would make exciting fights.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Had it 10-2 GGG but more realistically 9-3 or 8-4. In any case, GGG won.

I thought Canelo won the first three and the least three rounds clearly. Golovkin bossed 4-7. 8 and 9 were very close and could go either way. A draw is a good result.

I can see how you can get a draw as it was so damn close most rounds. I had it 8-4 to GGG. But could easy see some one give Canelo 3 rounds more. That other score was fucked up. But on to the next one.
Bro, I'm just grateful for all the great matches we've had this year, and we still have Loma-Rigo coming up. These blind judges are frustrating though.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I thought Canelo won the first three and the least three rounds clearly. Golovkin bossed 4-7. 8 and 9 were very close and could go either way. A draw is a good result.

I scored it 7-5 Canelo after watching a replay without any commentary. Out the rounds you mentioned I gave Golovkin 4, 5, 7 and Canelo 6, 8, 9. I agree that they were very close.

Syder

I would love to hear the scorecards from everyone here boxing GAF.

I had it 8-4 GGG.
Posted mine in the fight thread but here it is again:
  1. 9-10
  2. 10-9
  3. 10-9
  4. 9-10
  5. 9-10
  6. 9-10
  7. 9-10
  8. 9-10
  9. 9-10
  10. 10-9
  11. 9-10
  12. 10-9
Álvarez - 112
Golovkin - 116

Bearing in mind this was my live scoring at 4:30AM hopped up on energy drinks and caffeine pills but I still feel pretty happy about my score; I still plan to rewatch and rescore the fight though.

Beefy

Smh, just seen a local boxer here
Jo Pigford
who has a very promising career 13 fights and 12 KO's. He was out on his head on coke, fucking idiot.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Posted mine in the fight thread but here it is again:
  1. 9-10
  2. 10-9
  3. 10-9
  4. 9-10
  5. 9-10
  6. 9-10
  7. 9-10
  8. 9-10
  9. 9-10
  10. 10-9
  11. 9-10
  12. 10-9
Álvarez - 112
Golovkin - 116

Bearing in mind this was my live scoring at 4:30AM hopped up on energy drinks and caffeine pills but I still feel pretty happy about my score; I still plan to rewatch and rescore the fight though.

Awesome. I would be interested to see you score after a rewatch.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Canelo landed the cleaner punches and power punches at that. GGG was the aggressor but not all his punches landed. Canelo made him miss and blocked most of his shots. I will be watching the fight again when I have time to see if anything changes.

But Canelo totally failed to impose himself, something he did in every fight before, while GGG did impose himself even if less so than against previous opponents. Canelo on the ropes throughout after the first two rounds, pausing and catching his breath every time he threw something and missed past the fifth round. A draw is a big stretch.

But Canelo totally failed to impose himself, something he did in every fight before, while GGG did impose himself even if less so than against previous opponents. Canelo on the ropes throughout after the first two rounds, pausing and catching his breath every time he threw something and missed past the fifth round. A draw is a big stretch.

Canelo did enough for most of those rounds. Like I said it doesnt matter if ggg imposed himself more since not all the punches landed cleanly,etc. A draw is not a stretch at all, it's absurd to even say that.

Canelo did enough for most of those rounds. Like I said it doesnt matter if ggg imposed himself more since not all the punches landed cleanly,etc. A draw is not a stretch at all, it's absurd to even say that.

I'd agree with this no guy dominated the other I had canelo winning rounds 1-3 and 10-12 and GGG winning 4-9.

I'd agree with this no guy dominated the other I had canelo winning rounds 1-3 and 10-12 and GGG winning 4-9.

Yeah even in the middle rounds where Canelo looked spent he still did a good job of moving his head out of the way of most of GGG's big punches. To go 12 rounds with GGG and not really get rocked, or really get hit with a lot of clean power punches is a testament to Canelo's head/feet movement, he's come a long way in that regard. And to go 12 rounds with Canelo and eat some of his best punches (especially to the body) and keep coming is a testament to GGG being made out of steel. I think GGG is kicking himself about not going to the body more, but also letting Canelo steal those last 2-3 rounds with his second wind.

Syder

Rio Ferdinand to become professional boxer at the age of 38
Rio Ferdinand is to attempt to become a professional boxer, it can be revealed. The former Manchester United and England captain will confirm he is taking up the sport at what is being billed as a ”major news announcement" on Tuesday afternoon.

Ferdinand will try to follow in the footsteps of Conor McGregor, the Ultimate Fighting Championship star who last month lost to Floyd Mayweather on his boxing debut.

He will also seek to emulate Curtis Woodhouse, the former Sheffield United striker who went on to become British light-welterweight champion.

Yeah even in the middle rounds where Canelo looked spent he still did a good job of moving his head out of the way of most of GGG's big punches. To go 12 rounds with GGG and not really get rocked, or really get hit with a lot of clean power punches is a testament to Canelo's head/feet movement, he's come a long way in that regard. And to go 12 rounds with Canelo and eat some of his best punches (especially to the body) and keep coming is a testament to GGG being made out of steel. I think GGG is kicking himself about not going to the body more, but also letting Canelo steal those last 2-3 rounds with his second wind.

Yeah, both guys were really impressive that night and fought smart for the most part I figured it would go the full twelve rounds due to the level of competition alone.

Tom_Cody

I re-scored it yesterday, here's my card:

1 - Swing, and I gave it to GGG
2 - Canelo
3 - Canelo
4 - GGG
5 - GGG
6 - GGG
7 - GGG
8 - GGG
9 - GGG
10 - Canelo
11 - Swing, and gave it to GGG
12 - Swing, and I gave It to Canelo

Final score: 116-112 Golovkin

Which would be a draw with a full Canelo bias or 117-111 with a full Golovkin bias.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Canelo was on his back foot 3/4 of the fight, being pushed back into the ropes. GGG controlled him and did not let him settle into the center of the ring

Canelo was on his back foot 3/4 of the fight, being pushed back into the ropes. GGG controlled him and did not let him settle into the center of the ring

If we use this logic then floyd lost fights. ggg "controlled" the fight but most punches did not land. canelo did a good job making him miss and also blocking his shots.

Sentenza

If we use this logic then floyd lost fights. ggg "controlled" the fight but most punches did not land. canelo did a good job making him miss and also blocking his shots.
You keep saying this but the difference in power punches landed was trivial (104 to 100 for Alvarez) while Golovkin's jab (which is commonly acknowledged to be a hard "power jab") landed over twice as much as Canelo's jab (100+ vs 50-something).

Yeah, he missed more than usually (accuracy has always been one of his strong points) as he had a top class opponent in front of him, but you are almost painting him as someone who went catching butterflies the whole fight, while he actually landed a lot.

He outlanded Canelo in 10 of 12 rounds and in the fight as a whole by a wide margin. You bring up Floyd: Floyd beats guys by outlanding them. Ring generalship is another factor in scoring fights. As you yourself admit, GGG "controlled" most of the fight. Coupled with comfortable punch margins, the outcome of the fight should be - and frankly is - clear to most.

I feel like I'm back in 2015 arguing with people who are trying to say Pac actually beat Mayweather. It's flashbacks right now.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"

yeah he did miss but he outlanded canelo in total punches. He had ring generalship and was the aggressor through out the entire fight.

I think there was another bad decision in judge Don Trella scoring the 7th round in favor of Canelo. That round was the most lopsided in favor of GGG. I think this was a subtle bad decision in which was masked by the smoke screen of Adalyade Byrd-droping score

JLG-

Hope people don't read too much into compubox.. it's fun to look at but in no ways is it 100% factual. It's literally 2 guys sitting at a computer pressing a button whenever he thinks a fighter landed a shot.

Top Bottom