• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brie Larson Isn’t Letting Her ‘Captain Marvel’ Press Tour Be ‘Overwhelmingly’ White and Male

Clearly, I'm not saying that these people should simply be excommunicated from the industry they work in.
maxresdefault.jpg

Barnabot

Since some here are now are trying to rationalize racism of some kind I saw once some Schrödinger's cat saying the following:

Newsflash: If you're treating the same behaviour differently based on race of the person carrying it out: You're a racist.

You're not empowered.
You're not owning something.
You're just using double-standards and racist thinking to justify racist behaviour.

If you're doing this whilst preaching that racism is bad, then not only are you a hypocrite, but you are actively perpetuating the thing you claim to be against.

It's that simple.

And that cat which was raised by wolves was not wrong at all.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
Your post doesn’t make any sense if you knew white men make up 30 percent of America.

Super genius.

Yes it does, because the proportion of white interviewers is roughly the same as the proportion of the population. I could go back and edit the post but I really dgaf about your little gotcha game.

fantomena

Just gonna say that this seems to the most "common" theory about Endgame:

- Captain Marvel meets the avengers fairly quickly after the decimation as shown during the Cap Marvel mid credits scene, a few days has gone by since Fury used the pager so despite her flying strengths, it takes time
- They find out who she is, ask some questions, understands her powers
- Nebula knows where Thanos most likely is, she is said to be in a scene early in the movie, which was shown to certain people at Disney HQ last week, Tony was apparently also there, but sitting in some kind of chair with some medication
- They mobilizes and go after Thanos
Here comes the to paths:

Either they get defeated again, disbands due to lack of hope, years go by, Ant-Man finds a way out of the quantum realm (he returns a few years into the future, one of the first rumors surrounding the plot of Endgame was that it takes place a few years into the future), they assemble again and takes on Thanos.

Or, which I think is more likely: Cap, Hawkeye, Carol, Banner, Widow, Rocket and Thor all dies in their attempt to defeat Thanos, Tony either survives the battle or isn't part of it due to him sitting in some kind of chair with medications and get's later on contacted by Ant-Man who has escaped the quantum realm. They then use the time vortex in the quantum realm to go back in time (as seen on leaked set pics), assembles the avengers, makes their own infinity gauntlet, gathers the stones and tries one more time to defeat Thanos and undo the snap

I think the second path makes more sense, especially if they assemble all the heroes, also the guardians, at some point in the movie due to the time vortex they get Mjolnir back and Cap lifts it in front of Thanos, this might also be when he dies. Thanos is after them, Thor has Mjolnir, but get's defeated, Cap realizes he needs help, lifts Mjolnir, screms "Avengers Assemble" and pretty much every here pops up somehow and attacks Thanos.

That's also the reason why I think Feige has said it's "somewhat accurate" only the first 20-30 min of Endgame will be shown in trailers, clips and TV spots.

Last edited:

fantomena

$153 million domestic box office, $455 million world wide.

Wasnt this supposed to be some kind of massive FLOP? Could have sworn there was a topic about it a few days ago.

Evans is probably sitting like this while reading all the boycott articles and/or boycott social media posts:

GivingTenderAfricanfisheagle-size_restricted.gif

Dthomp

The goalposts are different for each side. Just because a movie makes money does not equate to it being a good movie or a hit. Reviews have been mostly below average that I have seen, ticket sales are a dumb bar since companies like Disney and rich people will buy insane amounts of tickets to give to certain demographs to help their movies, they have done this in the past so lets not pretend it probably didn't happen here either.

fantomena

since companies like Disney and rich people will buy insane amounts of tickets to give to certain demographs to help their movies, they have done this in the past so lets not pretend it probably didn't happen here either.

I've never heard of this before. Can you give me some sources? Very interested in reading more about this.

Just because a movie makes money does not equate to it being a good movie or a hit. Reviews have been mostly below average that I have seen

I haven't checked out any reviews, as I never do it for movies, so I can't say anything about the average review score, but the aduience seems to say it was a decent enjoyable movie, but nothing special, at least from what Ive read scrolling through FB, Insta, Reddit and Facebook.

Last edited:

DKehoe

companies like Disney and rich people will buy insane amounts of tickets to give to certain demographs to help their movies, they have done this in the past so lets not pretend it probably didn't happen here either.

Have they? I'm not asking this to be a dick, I'm genuinely curious as I hadn't heard about this before.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Have they? I'm not asking this to be a dick, I'm genuinely curious as I hadn't heard about this before.

I don't have any links cause to be honest, I don't care enough to bookmark silly stuff like this but I swear I'd read it multiple places that this happened with BP, and would not put it past them to do it for this movie with girls.

fantomena

I don't have any links cause to be honest, I don't care enough to bookmark silly stuff like this but I swear I'd read it multiple places that this happened with BP, and would not put it past them to do it for this movie with girls.

Well, what do I Google? Googling "disney buying black panther tickets" or something like that gives me nothing other than this article about churches, schools etc. buying tickets, which happens often.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Yes it does, because the proportion of white interviewers is roughly the same as the proportion of the population. I could go back and edit the post but I really dgaf about your little gotcha game.
https://news.usc.edu/144379/usc-study-finds-film-critics-like-filmmakers-are-largely-white-and-male/

Movie critics are 78% male, so unless the vast majority of them are non white (doubtful when 82% of reviewers are white), then you're wrong.

So much for that super genius IQ.

DeafTourette

Older than air but younger than the foundations of the earth
I had two different but similar experiences seeing CM yesterday and today.

Yesterday I went with my good friend. The theater was only half full (could be attributed to the tickets being $18.xx each for RPX) but there was a lot of laughter and some applause. She said she really liked it and it was better than she thought it would be.

Today, the theater was PACKED (different theater and standard screen... Cheaper tickets also) and again... Lots of laughter and some applause. My son was JAZZED about it and his mom was amazed!

I'm genuinely surprised most of you all didn't have a similar experience.

Papa

Banned
https://news.usc.edu/144379/usc-study-finds-film-critics-like-filmmakers-are-largely-white-and-male/

Movie critics are 78% male, so unless the vast majority of them are non white (doubtful when 82% of reviewers are white), then you're wrong.

So much for that super genius IQ.

Use your brain. It's obvious what I meant. Take out the word "male", which I included by mistake because "white male" was on my mind, and you will understand the meaning of my post.

61% of the US population is white (both genders). Use whatever article you like, but this one discussed earlier in the thread said that 64% of film critics were white: https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/...r-fewer-white-male-critics-journalists/76815/. I commented on this previously and was referencing back to that in the post that you're trying super hard to pick apart: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/brie-larson-isn’t-letting-her-‘captain-marvel’-press-tour-be-‘overwhelmingly’-white-and-male.1472229/#post-253786060.

"So 64% of articles were written by white males. The US is 61% white, and I suspect males are far more likely to go into this field of germalism."

The main point was that "overrepresentation" is a poor argument because it ignores the fact that the proportion of whites in the film critic profession is very close to their proportion of the entire population. Within that group, the split between male and female is completely irrelevant because it is a reflection of personal choice. If women are choosing not to go into that profession, that's entirely up to the.m

You're one of those Resetera users who hangs around to snipe from the sidelines while contributing very little. The meaning is obvious, yet you focus on minutiae and wordplay gotchas. You're barely one step up from Dude Abides. Get lost.

Last edited by a moderator:

sol_bad

The goalposts are different for each side. Just because a movie makes money does not equate to it being a good movie or a hit. Reviews have been mostly below average that I have seen, ticket sales are a dumb bar since companies like Disney and rich people will buy insane amounts of tickets to give to certain demographs to help their movies, they have done this in the past so lets not pretend it probably didn't happen here either.

Reviews are coming through as below average as there is a serious agenda coming from the right and it's a real shame when either side acts like dick heads.

Just look at the review numbers on Metacritic.
Captain Marvel, it was over 2000 user reviews 3 days after screening.
How to Train Your Dragon 3 has over 140 reviews.
Alita has over 1200 reviews a month after screening.
Lego Movie 2 has over 100 reviews.
Aquaman has over 900 reviews 3 months after screening.
Bumblebee has over 300 reviews 3 months after screening
Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse has over 1000 reviews 3 months after screening.

I wrote this in the other thread but Letterboxd is way more level headed, it's at 3.6 out of 5 after 36,000 reviews or so.
127 gave it 1/2 star.
201 gave it 1 star.
380 gave it 1.5 stars
1500 gave it 2 stars.
2800 gave it an average score of 2.5 stars.
6900 gave it 3 stars.
8700 gave it 3.5 stars.
9000 gave it 4 stars.

It's not being review bombed by dick heads.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
It's only ever dickheads who ever give negative reviews of things.
Never positive ones.
Never. Ever.

*rolls eyes*

sol_bad

It's only ever dickheads who ever give negative reviews of things.
Never positive ones.
Never. Ever.

*rolls eyes*

Read my post, read the part about user review numbers. It's extremely suspect when the movie has 2000+ reviews after only 3 days and the vast majority of them are negative. That's not normal.

*EDIT*
Check Letterboxd, check it's reviews. It's a more obscure website/app so the dick heads aren't there review bombing, only people that actually care about films.

Last edited:

sol_bad

You think a different website changes human nature??

If people don't know about the web site, of course it does.
o_O

*EDIT*
I don't mean to say it changes human nature. But people of a particular nature won't shit up the website if they don't know about it.

Last edited:

The movie studios only do this of course for movies that feature minority groups. They would never do this under any circumstances,

Helios

I had two different but similar experiences seeing CM yesterday and today.

Yesterday I went with my good friend. The theater was only half full (could be attributed to the tickets being $18.xx each for RPX) but there was a lot of laughter and some applause. She said she really liked it and it was better than she thought it would be.

Today, the theater was PACKED (different theater and standard screen... Cheaper tickets also) and again... Lots of laughter and some applause. My son was JAZZED about it and his mom was amazed!

I'm genuinely surprised most of you all didn't have a similar experience.
People applaud at movies?

they should let the bad "trolls" review rock. its some bitch shit to take down anything. it always has been and it always will be. if you have half a brain you could see whats happening. if you actually cared for the content of the reviews youd read them. taking down anything like that is fucking weak

Last edited:
Hm, maybe it's a difference in culture. I don't think I've ever seen people applaud at movies. Or maybe I'm going to the wrong kind of movies :messenger_grinning_smiling:

well i mean it can go both ways. when i watched the last avengers movie no one applauded the ending. in fact i think a lot of people in the theater were disappointed in the actual movie

This is funny coming from someone who almost sank one of biggest and most beloved franchises in the world.

Why do I always think Rian is a woman? Like, it sounds like a woman's name, unless I'm saying it wrong? Is it RYE-UN, or REE-ANN? Also, the arrogance on display in that tweet is bigger than the Death Star.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Older than air but younger than the foundations of the earth
People applaud at movies?

Yep!

I was at a showing of BlackkKlansman ... Mostly white people there and they applauded at different points of the movie. Same with Black Panther (tho that was more of a mixed crowd) and same with CM .... EVERYONE clapped when Carol won the day...

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I’d rank people clapping at a movie on about the same level as people who clap when the plane lands. Both fucking retarded.

Yep!

I was at a showing of BlackkKlansman ... Mostly white people there and they applauded at different points of the movie. Same with Black Panther (tho that was more of a mixed crowd) and same with CM .... EVERYONE clapped when Carol won the day...

lmao if you clapped for that you suck as a person. what an uninteresting life you lead

Last edited:
also can i just fucking point out how lame it is everyone calls her carol. like as if shes your friend that comes over to your house over the weekend or some shit. that is fucking pretty funny to me. hey remember when STTEEEEEVVVEEE AND TOOOONNNNY SAVES THE WORLD

sol_bad

So this video randomly showed up on my YouTube suggestions. This is what Brie Larson means by being more inclusive. She's a girl from India who does comedy sketches, no interviews with stars. She gets very high view counts though, sometimes millions. No doubt if she had more opportunities to be involved in these interviews she'd jump at the chance.

How can anyone think this is a bad thing? This girls life was changed because of this movie.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
If people don't know about the web site, of course it does.
o_O

*EDIT*
I don't mean to say it changes human nature. But people of a particular nature won't shit up the website if they don't know about it.

In the context of our discussion, the term 'dickhead' does not apply to just people who are negative.
Positive people/reviews can be dickheads too.

Or you can believe everything is all rainbows and unicorns all the time.

Top Bottom