• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brie Larson Isn’t Letting Her ‘Captain Marvel’ Press Tour Be ‘Overwhelmingly’ White and Male

LMJ

mckmas8808 mckmas8808 You are absolutely correct in your summation that racism does still exist , sadly on both sides and nothing short of mind control will ever stop that...to quote a annoyingly catchy pop tune "haters gonna hate" lol

Imo racism and bigotry in general is far less so of a problem today than it has ever been in the history of the United States...despite extremists trying to rally the troops so to speak...

The very fact that we have movies being made with entirely Black casts or looking at the new Aladdin, foreign casts is incredible when you think it's coming from a company like Disney and a summer blockbuster.

That having been said your own personal biases are starting show through when you sit there and complain about the complaints on YouTube coming from Captain Marvel or a black Panther and the supposed racist overtones, a number of which might I point out are black youtubers who have an issue with the character not the actress, the writing not the diversity.

Do I believe there was review bombing, yeah absolutely... trolls will troll, however as has been pointed out to you and others in this very thread it's happening on both sides but only one is being dealt with...shocking I know:goog_rolleyes:

I can't make a definitive judgment as I haven't seen the film yet who knows maybe I'll love it but based on everything I've heard thus far it sounds like they tried to shoehorn a bunch of BS into the canon without doing any thorough research, they changed Mar-vel from a man into a woman for God knows what reason, furys eye loss plays like a joke now, the Avengers name etc etc and based almost every review I've heard sans maybe 1 or 2, Carol Danvers is boring and as to be expected so is by association Captain Marvel herself...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
mckmas8808 mckmas8808 You are absolutely correct in your summation that racism does still exist , sadly on both sides and nothing short of mind control will ever stop that...to quote a annoyingly catchy pop tune "haters gonna hate" lol

Imo racism and bigotry in general is far less so of a problem today than it has ever been in the history of the United States...despite extremists trying to rally the troops so to speak...

The very fact that we have movies being made with entirely Black casts or looking at the new Aladdin, foreign casts is incredible when you think it's coming from a company like Disney and a summer blockbuster.

That having been said your own personal biases are starting show through when you sit there and complain about the complaints on YouTube coming from Captain Marvel or a black Panther and the supposed racist overtones, a number of which might I point out are black youtubers who have an issue with the character not the actress, the writing not the diversity.

Do I believe there was review bombing, yeah absolutely... trolls will troll, however as has been pointed out to you and others in this very thread it's happening on both sides but only one is being dealt with...shocking I know:goog_rolleyes:

I can't make a definitive judgment as I haven't seen the film yet who knows maybe I'll love it but based on everything I've heard thus far it sounds like they tried to shoehorn a bunch of BS into the canon without doing any thorough research, they changed Mar-vel from a man into a woman for God knows what reason, furys eye loss plays like a joke now, the Avengers name etc etc and based almost every review I've heard sans maybe 1 or 2, Carol Danvers is boring and as to be expected so is by association Captain Marvel herself...

Again guys, (this is honestly a problem with trying to have conversations on the internet and not with any of you as individuals) I'm not claiming people that didn't like Black Panther or Captian Marvel are racists or misogynists.

I'm not sure who you read or listened to, but yes there are some minor mistakes with the timeline on somethings. My opinion is that none of them are deal breakers. Half of those mistakes don't really matter and the other half are stupid things that the Marvel writers should have thought and cared about.

I do think Brie's acting was a bit flat. She has to advantage of playing across from Sam Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn, so to me it's easier to forgive. And also I think Lashana Lynch (Carol Danver's best friend) did a great job acting too. To me they all out acted Brie Larson.

**side note** Marvel could have easily made Captian Marvel a black woman since she was back in the early 80s in the comic books. Carol Danvers wasn't created until like 2010. Marvel created Monica Rambeau, from Lousiana, (YES you read that right she's the little black girl in the lastest Captian Marvel movie) in like 1981 or something. I mean she was the leader of the Avengers at one time.

D08OiZ4UwAEgFs_.jpg

D08O1yOU8AALkun.jpg

But you will not see me complaining about that. I respect Marvel's choice to go with Carol.

sol_bad

Tony Stark, a billionaire arms dealer who repeatedly puts the entire world in harm's way but he's still a good guy for some reason. imperialism via consumerism. they are fascism for neoliberals.

He hasn't been an arms dealer since 2008 and actually brought world peace.
Yeah there was the Ultron incident but that was rectified, he even joined the Sokovia Accords.

Jon Neu

Banned
You are the one that seems to be upset that people like Captian Marvel and Black Panther. Most of us are fine. You seem upset.

Your "arguments" get weaker by the minute.

You can repeat it all you want, still it's not going to be true. People are not mad at female or black protagonists, people are tired of being shoved a political agenda down their throats.

Remember Blade? Everybody loved the movie, because it was a movie. I watched Spawn (my favorite "superhero") 3 times in the movie theater, I bought all the comics up under the 139 issue, I hate it when suddenly Al Simmons was not Spawn anymore and they put some white dude instead. I loved Angela, Tiffany and all the female angels that were the frenemies of Spawn. Spawn by the way is black, his ex wife is black, his daughter is black, his grandma is black, Violator was portrayed by a latino in the movie. Do you think I even care? Nobody cared until the likes of you came in.

You and the likes of you are the ones weaponizing race and gender for political reasons in every fucking aspect of life, not me. We are just fucking tired of your bullshit.

plushyp

**side note** Marvel could have easily made Captian Marvel a black woman since she was back in the early 80s in the comic books. Carol Danvers wasn't created until like 2010. Marvel created Monica Rambeau, from Lousiana, (YES you read that right she's the little black girl in the lastest Captian Marvel movie) in like 1981 or something. I mean she was the leader of the Avengers at one time.

D08OiZ4UwAEgFs_.jpg

D08O1yOU8AALkun.jpg

But you will not see me complaining about that. I respect Marvel's choice to go with Carol.
That's not right. Carol Danvers has been around in Marvel since the late '60s. She made her first debut in Marvel Super-Heroes 13 that was released in March 1968. The title Ms. Marvel with her in the titular role came later in 1977. Monica Rambeau came after her.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Carol_Danvers_(Earth-616)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Danvers

Last edited:
Here is one of the main quotes that started this

“About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male,” Larson told Marie Claire interviewer Keah Brown, a disabled journalist the actress handpicked for the gig. “So, I spoke to Dr. Stacy Smith at the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, who put together a study to confirm that. Moving forward, I decided to make sure my press days were more inclusive. After speaking with you, the film critic Valerie Complex and a few other women of color, it sounded like across the board they weren’t getting the same opportunities as others. When I talked to the facilities that weren’t providing it, they all had different excuses.”

Here is a video of her talking about it at an awards show or something, and setting up why she feels the way she feels

This speech is what I originally thought everyone was mad about.

If you watch her speech and give her a chance, she really isn't THAT off base

A Wrinkle In Time WASN'T made for white dudes. That is true. She's saying that statistically movie reviews are represented by a narrow demographic when the audience is a much wider demographic

EDIT

PLEASE watch the speech if you haven't, I think it provides the complete context to this entire debacle

I saw this when it was first posted, but I didn't watch the video. Then I saw clips of this in the half in the bag review, and I wanted to judge it fairly.

Having done that now, it's still pretty bad. It's definitely no better than the quotes I've already read. What makes it even worse, is this was a SPEECH. These were carefully prepared words, where some variation of "I'm not saying I hate white dudes" was said three times, and thought to be the best way of talking about INCLUSION. Inclusion isn't about "there's too many," it's about "there's not enough."

To talk about inclusion, you literally don't have to mention white people or men even once. To frame inclusion as "it's a problem there are so many white people in this space" is highly counter-productive for anyone who isn't already deeply invested in your ideological headspace. As I've said before, why be divisive about inclusion?

Always a good idea to judge things for myself, though, so I'm glad I watched the video.

I'm also still going to have to see the movie for myself sometime (not in theaters), because I definitely do like Samuel L Jackson.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I don't doubt that lots of tickets were bought and unused. Wasn't like $70,000 raised to buy tickets for girls to go see the first woman to ever star in film?

But, the movie is at about $500M worldwide already. Even if we pretended that Disney spent $50M (they didn't) to buy a bunch of tickets to make it look like a success, it's still doing well anyway.

mckmas8808

That's not right. Carol Danvers has been around in Marvel since the late '60s. She made her first debut in Marvel Super-Heroes 13 that was released in March 1968. The title Ms. Marvel with her in the titular role came later in 1977. Monica Rambeau came after her.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Carol_Danvers_(Earth-616)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Danvers

Was it then in 2010 when she took the name "Captian" Marvel, instead of Ms. Marvel?

Damn they really loved pirate boots back then. But how is that cover even possible, that was when comics were ruled by smw who hated diversity?

Who is SMW?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

She became Captain Marvel in 2012.

Oh! I wonder what made Marvel decide on that. And why not just stick with the MS. Marvel name?

At a guess, a typo for SWM - Straight White Male. We rule the world you know.

Interesting. The internet has short-hand for everything.

"Straight white male" is insanely offensive. It's "straight male of whiteness" now.

LOL! This thread is weird, so I can't tell but are you being serious or is this a joke?

Last edited:
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Oh! I wonder what made Marvel decide on that. And why not just stick with the MS. Marvel name?

Interesting. The internet has short-hand for everything.

LOL! This thread is weird, so I can't tell but are you being serious or is this a joke?
I think it's got something to do with having the rights to the name instead of DC being able to name a comic that for their Captain Marvel character.

mckmas8808

OMG this is insane :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy: Somebody is buying hundreds of tickets for empty theatres. Disney, is that you?

There's no way this movie cost them $400 million (including advertising). And people are really believing this empty theater Twitter story? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Come on people! Do people hate Brie or Marvel this much now?

NickFire

There's no way this movie cost them $400 million (including advertising). And people are really believing this empty theater Twitter story? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

$400 million including advertising doesn't sound crazy to me, but I really have no idea whether it is or is not. Crediting a bunch of tweets as proof that Disney is committing financial fraud against stock holders? That does sound a little crazy to me though. Not buying it.

Arkage

Banned
$400 million including advertising doesn't sound crazy to me, but I really have no idea whether it is or is not. Crediting a bunch of tweets as proof that Disney is committing financial fraud against stock holders? That does sound a little crazy to me though. Not buying it.

Every good thread debating the merits of identity politics needs a conspiracy theory to go along with it.

Oh wait, this isn't the politics subforum, what the fuck is this thread doing in off-topic for a month/26 pages?

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned

Movie math is a scam. Who knows how much money was laundered on these films. And most of the money is just going back to the same people because they own or work for the various production companies etc... I never believe any of these so called "budgets" there all pretty much made up numbers.

And even if Disney or someone else bought a bunch of tickets like someone said it made 500M already, we are talking a drop in the bucket of like 1%. There is no way there is 400 Million fake tickets bought.

Its a Marvel movie, the brand is strong enough to carry Dr. Strange and Ant-Man. With Endgame a month or so away people are thirsty for some Marvel action. Just goes to show 20 or whatever movies in how strong Marvel has become. They could probably put out 2 hours of an ass farting and still make half a billion.

Xiaoki

OMG this is insane :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy: Somebody is buying hundreds of tickets for empty theatres. Disney, is that you?
Captain Marvel dropped 55% to $69 million for it's second weekend for a domestic total of $266 million and a worldwide total of $760 million.

That's a lot of fake tickets.

When Captain Marvel reaches a billion dollars how many fake tickets would Disney have to buy at empty movie theaters a hundred at a time?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i wouldn't be surprised if they fake ticket sales the way the music industry got caught faking album streams. every time i've been an a theater for a new movie there have only been a dozen people or so there with me at most.

sol_bad

Amazing how this fake ticket theory never emerged until it contained a movie with someone that some people seem to hate.

The Skull

Amazing how this fake ticket theory never emerged until it contained a movie with someone that some people seem to hate.

Supposed it's fairly strange for hundreds of tickets to be bought online and no one shows up or refunds it? Even so it would be an insane thing for them to do from a business standpoint and I do question the legitimacy of this claim.

cryptoadam

Banned
Saw it, wasn't too bad, pretty paint by numbers Marvel movie. Didn't expect so much Alien stuff in it. Brie was decent but doesn't have the charisma of ScarJo, Lupita Nyongo, or Scarelet Witch. But the movie is making big bucks so I think she is connecting with audiences.

Villian was lame but seeing some familar faces was nice. All though the twist I guess kinda screws over what could of been a potential story arc from the comics.

And one more point I think Gal Gadot has more charisma, and WW edges out CM for me.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Supposed it's fairly strange for hundreds of tickets to be bought online and no one shows up or refunds it? Even so it would be an insane thing for them to do from a business standpoint and I do question the legitimacy of this claim.

The only proof is people showing a photos of an empty cinema and a 3rd party saying what a cinema manager said. We don't know when these photos were taken. They may have waited until after the movie finished. Maybe they work at the cinema and took the photo at the end of shift. Maybe they were in a different film and took a photo when a Captain Marvel trailer played, or their theatre plays a Captain Marvel promo so it looks like they are watching the movie.

Barnabot

Awww shit someone from media is not following the script..

He's basically telling the if you somewhat insult the audience who want to see your movie then you can expect some form of negativity back.

Is this guy for real? /s

EDIT: his name is Roz Weston if some of you wonder.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

i wouldn't be surprised if they fake ticket sales the way the music industry got caught faking album streams. every time i've been an a theater for a new movie there have only been a dozen people or so there with me at most.

That may speak to where you live or how unpopular your movie theater of choice is. In my area, if I see a blockbuster on the first weekend there's ALWAYS at least 100+ people in the theater minimum!

BRUH! You ain't lying man. It's like........

1. Say Captian Marvel is a feminist movie and Brie Larson is part of the "WOKE" crowd. (PS: Go Woke, Go Broke)
2. Predict Captain Marvel will fail (fail = not doing normal Marvel numbers)
3. ??????
4. Claim your prediction would have been right all along if it wasn't for that pesky Disney buying $300 million worth of fake seats worldwide!

CyberPanda

Banned
Ok, so now that the movie made a ton of money. Maybe Brie can get a pedicure done from all those royalties she’ll recieve.

There is hope! 🙏

Grinchy

Banned
:pie_roffles::pie_roffles: We have a conspiracy theory about Disney buying hundreds of millions of dollars worth of tickets and now we're onto her gross, dirty feet. This thread has been almost as fun as the Jussie Smollett one.

lifa-cobex

He's basically telling the if you somewhat insult the audience who want to see your movie then you can expect some form of negativity back.

Is this guy for real? /s

Christ.
The guy next to him looked like he was going to piss himself.

oagboghi2

Is this guy for real? /s

EDIT: his name is Roz Weston if some of you wonder.

I expect either a public apology or a pink slip in a few days.

Can't be talking to much truth on television

JoduanER2

“My interviewers are overwhelmingly white and male”

Versus

“I would like to see more non-white females interviewing me”

The difference is clear to anyone not on board with the Cult. I believe your side would call this a dogwhistle.

As I said on the previous page:

Both you and her know that it’s not about more seats at the table. The number of seats at the table is fixed in this argument. If she wanted to include more non-white females, she could work overtime to do extra interviews. But she’s not doing that — she’s complaining about too many white males, i.e. replace them with non-white females.

Moreover, it’s just another spurious equality of outcome argument. There is absolutely nothing stopping non-white females from going out and following that career path if they want to. There are far more variables in play than discrimination, yet that’s the only one that gets any attention (with very little quantifiable evidence of its influence, mind you). Freedom means self-determination — it doesn’t mean getting to fuck over anyone else who made better life choices than you based on their race or sex when the outcomes don’t turn out equal.

Well said, clap clap clap.

mckmas8808

“My interviewers are overwhelmingly white and male”

Versus

“I would like to see more non-white females interviewing me”

The difference is clear to anyone not on board with the Cult. I believe your side would call this a dogwhistle.

As I said on the previous page:

Both you and her know that it’s not about more seats at the table. The number of seats at the table is fixed in this argument. If she wanted to include more non-white females, she could work overtime to do extra interviews. But she’s not doing that — she’s complaining about too many white males, i.e. replace them with non-white females.

Moreover, it’s just another spurious equality of outcome argument. There is absolutely nothing stopping non-white females from going out and following that career path if they want to. There are far more variables in play than discrimination, yet that’s the only one that gets any attention (with very little quantifiable evidence of its influence, mind you). Freedom means self-determination — it doesn’t mean getting to fuck over anyone else who made better life choices than you based on their race or sex when the outcomes don’t turn out equal.

The bolded is what someone says that doesn't want to compete with the full market of people. The more seats at the table is speaking specifically about the "pool" of interviewers that get to interview Brie Larson. She wants there to be a bigger pool of people that Disney is choosing from.

Not sure how that can be seen as a bad thing.

Barnabot

The bolded is what someone says that doesn't want to compete with the full market of people. The more seats at the table is speaking specifically about the "pool" of interviewers that get to interview Brie Larson. She wants there to be a bigger pool of people that Disney is choosing from.

Not sure how that can be seen as a bad thing.
So why didn't she addressed this problem with Disney alone instead of with the adience on a press tour if that was possible? She had several moments to address this problem in a proper way but she didn't. And why were you able to come with this conclusion like this and she didn't? Isn't there a possibility that she just said what she wanted to said?

Last edited:
Top Bottom