• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic NES Series - Gamespot reviews

I give the packaging a big fat F. They could have at least left the instruction booklet exactly the way it was, for a bit of nostalgia. But no.

jarrod

Banned
Brandon F said:
No goldbox Zelda is dissapointing.
I'd have preferred a gold cart actually. The Classic NES Series could've been so great with a little extra work on the presentation and packaging... instead Americans ended up paying more for a comparatively inferior product to the Japanese release. :/

Ah well, Zelda still rocks my socks. I'll pick up Mario, Excitebike and Xevious when they're cheaper...

Yossarian

Kobun Heat said:
I give the packaging a big fat F. They could have at least left the instruction booklet exactly the way it was, for a bit of nostalgia. But no.
I wanted a golden Zelda cart goddamnit, and atleast the fucking pictures in color :mad:

jarrod

Banned
Jonnyboy117 said:
What's the point of reviewing these games? Argh.

There is no point, they'd be better off reviewing the packaging instead (though then they'd score lower).

jarrod

Banned
I bet Mario & Zelda will both break the 7.0 barrier. Rock!!

I noticed Gamespot failed to mention that all the multiplayer Classic NES Series releases support the wireless adapter as well. :)

Belfast

The only one potentially worth $20 is Zelda due to it being a longer game than the others. But, honestly, this is all a marketing gimmick. The only reason to have these is if you want to collect them.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I wonder what they're gonna give Mario Bros. for the Vol 2 set, considering the damn game is tied with all Mario Advance titles plus Mario & Luigi, with multiplayer to boot

belgurdo

Banned
Nice that Gamespot can look past the bullshit and realize Nintendo's expecting suckers to pay $20 for games that were $5 or less in Gamestop years ago (or in some cases are already on portables and are cheap to begin with as a result)

Agent X

Jonnyboy117 said:
What's the point of reviewing these games? Argh.

The point of reviewing them is to give an opinion on the overall quality of the product, and to determine whether it is worth buying.

Considering that Nintendo is releasing these games in the year 2004, for the same price as many other new-release GBA games are selling for, it deserves to come under the same scrutiny as other contemporary games. Just because the games are shoddy emulations of old relics from the NES days doesn't mean they should be given a free pass.

cvxfreak

Despite these reviews, I plan to buy every Classic NES game at some point (even SMB even though I own the Famicom Mini version). Pac-Man was the first I bought, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Wario64 said:
I wonder what they're gonna give Mario Bros. for the Vol 2 set, considering the damn game is tied with all Mario Advance titles plus Mario & Luigi, with multiplayer to boot
where can i find out more info about the second series for america? i heard rc pro am was going to be released... :D

Agent X said:
The point of reviewing them is to give an opinion on the overall quality of the product, and to determine whether it is worth buying.

Considering that Nintendo is releasing these games in the year 2004, for the same price as many other new-release GBA games are selling for, it deserves to come under the same scrutiny as other contemporary games. Just because the games are shoddy emulations of old relics from the NES days doesn't mean they should be given a free pass.

I agree completely that Nintendo should be reamed out for the way they're handling this product, but I don't think individual game reviews are the way to do it.

Yossarian

Zero said:
It's ridiculous...they should come in some sort of catridge package or something - not separate!
well, they're obviously selling in single packages at $20 a pop, so what incentive does Nintendo have to do otherwise? As long as sheep like me are willing to pay $20 for Zelda, they'll continue to sell it to us at as high a price as they can.

SD-Ness

Yossarian said:
well, they're obviously selling in single packages at $20 a pop, so what incentive does Nintendo have to do otherwise? As long as sheep like me are willing to pay $20 for Zelda, they'll continue to sell it to us at as high a price as they can.
Ya, I mean they should be selling them like: a couple of catridges (probably 2 or 3) for $20. For one fucking game, it's way too much. The only one I would buy is probably Zelda.

LakeEarth

It is total bull. I mean i have Donkey Kong 94, so not only do I have all 4 stages from the original (that's one more than the GBA version!), but 96 other stages! Come ON, what a rip.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The only game IMO that warrents close to $20 is zelda simply beacuse it still holds up today and its a fairly long game.
The other games should have been packaged in collections for 20 or all of them for 30 or 40.

I know it was already released in SMBDeluxe with extras, but I still don't see any problem paying $20 for Super Mario Bros. Better game than Zelda IMO.

jarrod

Banned
BobbyRobby said:
Better game than Zelda IMO.
hiss.gif

Nikashi

Banned
I'm sorry, but any NES classic series of an arcade port (Pac Man, Xevious, etc) deserves less than a 4. You're essentially paying for a VERY BAD PORT, ported to GBA, and in Pac Man's case, where there's already HIGHLY superior versions (PacMan Collection) for around the same price. :p

john tv

The whole point of this series was the collectibility factor. Taking away the nice packaging and manuals (black and white manuals? yuck!) pretty much ruins everything. Smart move, NOA!

Sometimes the people in charge at these companies really amaze me with their cluelessness...

kamikaze

famicom gba re-releases >>> nes gba re-releases

apparently, ncl needs to teach noa how to deal with collectibles. :(

and on a somewhat related note, where're some of the cool give-aways that club nintendo members get (soundtracks and other swag)!?!

explodet

Yeah, all my edit links are gone too.

EDIT: Oh wait, there's one. I guess now there's a time limit on how you can edit posts.

242773.jpg
242773.jpg

I had entertained a brief fantasy that NoA would include a sliver of the quality of the Famicom releases, but I guess it was never going to happen. I'll stick to my (perfectly-working) NES.

jarrod

Banned
Woah, look at the reader review comparisons...

Pac-Man: 5.6 vs 4.2
Xevious: 5.8 vs 7.8
Bomberman: 4.9 vs nothing yet
Donkey Kong: 6.2 vs 7.2
Ice Climbers: 6.2 vs 7.5
Excitebike: 6.2 vs 6.3
Super Mario Bros: 6.8 vs 8.9
The Legend of Zelda: 7.1 vs 9.5

...everything scored higher but Pac-Man, Mario & Zelda each jumped by over 2 points. :O

Top Bottom