• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Concrete Genie' is a game about bullying and street art

pcostabel

Engadget

https://youtu.be/jWUh7RFdqdU

The PS4 title, unveiled at Paris Games Week, is about a young boy called Ash. He loves illustration and regularly doodles in his notebook. The story begins with a group of bullies stealing the book, tearing out the pages and scattering them across the city. Ash, undeterred, embarks on a quest to find them all and restore the notebook. Along the way, he discovers a paintbrush and the power to bring his creations to life. Suddenly, every building and back-alley is a canvas brimming with magical possibility.

Throughout the game you'll acquire different "brushes." There will be roughly 50 in total, spread across five different colors. Each shade has an elemental property which can be utilized to affect the broader environment. Red brushes, for instance, are associated with fire and can be used to burn down doors that have been boarded up. As the game progresses, you'll need to combine the different brushes to proceed.

The developer has also hinted at another, more significant feature that could affect how you play the game. So far, everything we've seen shows a clear divide between the 3D world, where Ash lives, and the two-dimensional plane where his creations thrive. The monsters you make are effectively restricted to the buildings they were drawn on. But later in the game? Well, that might change. "They can go round corners, but they're landlocked," Robilliard said, before pausing for a moment. "Initially."

NahaNago

This is a day one title for me and yes Concrete Genie is a weird name. They need to replace genie with something else.

ehead

Yeah, that title just makes you scratch your head. Anyway, the character design made me think of Oxenfree. Not entirely sold on the gameplay though. I was expecting something like Ōkami.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Release timeframe: Spring 2019

Developed by the Pixelopus team at PlayStation, Concrete Genie follows a bullied teenager named Ash who escapes his troubles by painting spectacular living landscapes and mischievous creatures in the walls of his abandoned hometown of Denska. Using a magical paintbrush, Ash discovers his paintings can purify Denska’s polluted walls and bring life back to the town.

Pixelopus, a development studio at PlayStation’s San Mateo campus, is targeting a spring 2019 release date for Concrete Genie for the PS4 system. We’ll have more details to share in the weeks and months ahead!

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...os-release-lineup-the-next-wave-of-ps4-games/

Deft Beck

Any reason why this is taking so long to release? I expected this by the end of 2017, never mind nearly two years later.

Top Bottom