• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor McGregor has retired from MMA

I was just watching Joe Rogan schooling Brendan Schaub on how he can't fuck with fighters out there that are way better when Brendan was trying to act cocky lol. Joe let him know that he can't do MMA forever. And shit, yeah, I'd say it's good for people in this sport to retire as soon as they can after accumulating a shit ton of money, of course.

I'll just post it:

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
What a waste.
There are some fun matchups in the UFC against other fighters that would stand with him. I guess he doesn't need the money.... For now anyway.

Dark Star

He should reboot the show "Bully Beatdown" as the host, but for a Netflix or Youtube audience.

i'd totally watch it - he has a very entertaining personality that works great for the camera.

Last edited:
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah right
fat-val-kilmer.jpg

highrider

Banned
I would. He’s got nothing to prove and he’s made a fortune. He didn’t look like the same fighter against Khabib.

I smell what Conor is cooking.

The come back fight will sell more ppvs if he is "retired". I don't think he wants that image of him pummelled on the floor after the Khabib fight but he doesn't want to work for it.

people who get mad at conor are idiots. they are the same idiots that get mad at any sports person in the limelight. its not like the mother fucker didnt fight which is pretty hard for anyone. i dont know i hate people who dont do shit who get mad at other people who do shit and act like they are above them. fuck you which is apparently 99 percent of this thread

i mean you got triplestation fucking ACTING LIKE THAT ONE GUY FROM ADAM SANDLER MOVIES its not funny it wasnt funny and will never be funny. call that mother fucker out. not my boy conor

Last edited:

mekes

Stating the obvious but he announces his retirement on Twitter every time he has a disagreement with the UFC. Just stating for those who aren’t taking this announcement with a pinch of salt. There’s been rumours that the UFC won’t give him a headline slot on a card because he isn’t champion right now, which is ridiculous if true and seems like a power play from the UFC. Conor has power plays of his own tho, he wants shares in the company and a boatload of money.

I would be okay with him retiring. I enjoy the sport a lot and there’s a big difference in investing as a fan in an active McGregor compared to an inactive one who focuses on Twitter posts and a whiskey business. I don’t think he can cut to 145 anymore and I think he would get starched at 155 and higher. Those aren’t the “stuck in the mud” divisions as he called them, they are the McGregor getting Rhonda’d divisions.

But he will be back for cherry picked opponents,

mcjmetroid

A bargaining tactic if I ever heard it. People will pay more money to him for a match to "get him out of retirement"

i doubt hell fight again. why are you people so against a fighter talking shit

if he wants to say shit let him. he really has earned it

oh wait i forgot cause none of you have personalities

Last edited:

Winter John

It's been obvious for a long time he'd lost interest in fighting. He took 2 years out. Did that clown show with Floyd and when he did come back he didn't look right at all. He should never have gotten in the ring with Khabib but I guess it was a big payday for him.

Somewhat bittersweet to wake up to this

Some rambling thoughts, please bear with me:

I love MMA. Stars are good for MMA. You can hate them, or love to hate them,. or love when they inevitably lose and get humbled, but the bottom line is true MMA stars are good for the sport and their fight cards have a certain "tentpole event" excitement and buzz that is just special..

Lesnar was good for the sport. Ronda was good for the sport. GSP was great for the sport. Conor was good for the spot. Jon Jones is a mixed bag but in the end I lean toward good because the game needs stars. Stars can be villains too, obviously. Cheer these fighters or boo these fighters, the bottom line is people pay to see these fighters more than others for a reason.

If you look back to 4-5 years ago when Ronda was KOing and subbing chicks in 20 seconds and Conor was predicting KOs and making ESPN headlines before ESPN jumped on the UFC wagon, that time was EXCITING. You. may hate both those fighters,. an.d I don't blam.e you, but they brought attention a.n.d excitement to the UFC.

I kind of miss that time/era. It was fun, it was exciting, it was active. I love Amanda Nunes and Khabib but I feel like I see them fight once a year. During their prime runs you could count on Conor and Ronda every 3-4 months

If you ignore the last 3 years and just focus on the 3-4 year Conor rise and Conor "reign" times, he was an awesome spectacle. I remember the Mendes fight almost punch for punch, same for the Aldo flash, same for BOTH Diaz fights, same for the Alvarez fight. Memorable moments are good for the game. Conor had magic.

The magic is clearly gone. The hunger that you could almost SEE radiate through him early in his career is CLEARLY gone. He's become a caricature of former self. It was a magic ride, get out before all of that is smashed way by losses.

The Conor we saw against Alvarez was not the same Conor we saw against Khabib, Conor would only get smashed again against Khabib, Conor would probably lose to Cerrone if they fought (in a similar fashion he lost to Diaz). I don't even know if Conor could beat Kevin Lee today..

As far as how legit is this, could this be a stunt to drive up his paycheck for a "return fight" down the road, maybe, but I heard that his whiskey is KILLING it and making him tons of money. He already made a ton of money as well, he probably wants to buy a piece of the UFC and invest, why not get richer sitting at home on your couch selling whiskey instead of getting smashed up on the tail end of your career?

So, either this is a legit retirement and he's going full time businessman, or he's going full-time businessman but still planning a "comeback fight" down the road somewhere.

Last edited:

DKehoe

This is to do with the ESPN deal. UFC PPVs are going to be getting less buys now that they are exclusive to their streaming service. UFC don’t have to care about that because they’re getting a guaranteed minimum. But for fighters like McGregor, who make a large portion of their income from PPV buys, they’re going to be making less money. So this is him playing hardball with the UFC to get a better deal. The problem is the UFC has never been less dependent on big stars than they are now. But on the flip side I’d imagine ESPN really want his fights on their service. So they may pressure UFC to make it happen.

Random question::

Why do so few of you post in the actual MMA event threads? I was shocked this had many replies at all considering I honestly thought there were maybe 7 or 8 MMA fans on this site, yet now I am seeing a dude I've never seen post in an MMA thread before present himself as an expert on PPV buyrates and fighter PPV points.

This is to do with the ESPN deal. UFC PPVs are going to be getting less buys now that they are exclusive to their streaming service. UFC don’t have to care about that because they’re getting a guaranteed minimum. But for fighters like McGregor, who make a large portion of their income from PPV buys, they’re going to be making less money. So this is him playing hardball with the UFC to get a better deal. The problem is the UFC has never been less dependent on big stars than they are now. But on the flip side I’d imagine ESPN really want his fights on their service. So they may pressure UFC to make it happen.

This makes sense, and you are probably right, I also think it has to do with his whiskey money as well.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Random question::

Why do so few of you post in the actual MMA event threads? I was shocked this had many replies at all considering I honestly thought there were maybe 7 or 8 MMA fans on this site, yet now I am seeing a dude I've never seen post in an MMA thread before present himself as an expert on PPV buyrates and fighter PPV points.

I should post more in the MMA threads. I do so every now and then but I'll try and be more active in them. I used to post in the community threads back before the change, but almost all of the community threads have died so there's not as much discussion on them as there used to be. So I guess GAF just stopped being one of the places I actively go to for MMA discussion.

I wouldn't say I'm an expert in that stuff. I'm also on the Wrestling Observer website, which is great for learning about the history and business aspects of the sport since Dave Meltzer has basically been covering MMA longer than anyone else at this point and breaking that stuff down is his speciality. He went really in depth about the new TV deal and more recently about this new PPV deal. So a lot of the stuff I know comes from there.

This makes sense, and you are probably right, I also think it has to do with his whiskey money as well.

True, if his whiskey takes off in a big way then McGregor won't need the UFC and they won't need him. So them finding some kind of compromise will be tough.

I mean why get beat up at this point if you are rich as fuck?

Bingo.

Only reason would be if you get even richer as fucking fuck which is what he is probably maneuvering for. He already made a lot per fight but he probably wants a much larger baseline guarantee along with the PPV bonus, as DK said.

My guess it probably takes 20 million minimum to get him in the cage as long as his other business is booming.

people who get mad at conor are idiots. they are the same idiots that get mad at any sports person in the limelight. its not like the mother fucker didnt fight which is pretty hard for anyone. i dont know i hate people who dont do shit who get mad at other people who do shit and act like they are above them. fuck you which is apparently 99 percent of this thread

i mean you got triplestation fucking ACTING LIKE THAT ONE GUY FROM ADAM SANDLER MOVIES its not funny it wasnt funny and will never be funny. call that mother fucker out. not my boy conor
Stop hiding it and just say you love me gurl you don't even have to look me in the eyes 😍😍😍😍😍

manfestival

The only fights worth taking when you are Conor are the ones where you are making millions and millions. Maybe another mayweather fight would bring him out. I watched the documentary on him and I do not blame the man for his decisions(granted the whole bus nonsense was too much).

This new ESPN PPV deal could have affected this on top of everything. Too much red tape to deal with now. Everyone knows Disney is red tape galore.

As a fan of the sport and fan of Conor before he was truly heel. I am disappointed that UFC went full exploit(understandably so) by not giving Aldo a chance to redeem himself. Aldo has not recovered and probably lost some of sanity because of this.

The only fights worth taking when you are Conor are the ones where you are making millions and millions. Maybe another mayweather fight would bring him out. I watched the documentary on him and I do not blame the man for his decisions(granted the whole bus nonsense was too much).

This new ESPN PPV deal could have affected this on top of everything. Too much red tape to deal with now. Everyone knows Disney is red tape galore.

As a fan of the sport and fan of Conor before he was truly heel. I am disappointed that UFC went full exploit(understandably so) by not giving Aldo a chance to redeem himself. Aldo has not recovered and probably lost some of sanity because of this.

So true.

There are SO many fights we should have seen but never will

Conor vs Tony
Conor vs Aldo 2
Conor vs Max 2
Conor vs Cerrone
Conor vs Diaz 3

So on and so on and so on.

I don't blame him either, I am with you.

In addition to everything already said, another piece of this puzzle has to be related to this recent news that Cerrone vs Conor was on the table but fell apart when it would have been a co-main event. The UFC rarely, really hardly ever, will put a non-title fight as the ME of a PPV.

For Conor, they should probably make the exception, but bottom line is without a title his card placeholder status becomes somewhat of a technicality that maybe his ego, or maybe a clause in his contract (maybe he gets less juice if hes co-main) won't allow him to accept.

Had he beaten Khabib, I don't think we would be here.

Welp

Story just took an interesting turn. Or maybe completely unrelated, or maybe just an additional layer.

Conor Being Investigated For Sexual Assault Allegation

Conor McGregor, the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s biggest star and one of the world’s highest-paid athletes, is under investigation in Ireland after a woman accused him of sexual assault in December, according to four people familiar with the investigation.

McGregor has not been charged with a crime. Following the usual protocol in criminal investigations in Ireland and much of Europe, where a formal charge does not necessarily follow an arrest, McGregor was arrested in January, questioned by law enforcement authorities and released pending further investigation, according to the people.

The allegations have not been proven and the fact that an investigation is continuing does not imply that McGregor is guilty of a crime. A lawyer for McGregor in Dublin did not respond to messages seeking comment.

The woman making the allegation said it occurred at the Beacon Hotel, an establishment attached to a business park on the edge of Dublin. There is little to suggest it would be a haunt for one of Ireland’s best-known sports figures, a multimillionaire with a loyal, global fan base. McGregor is an occasional guest there, usually booking its sole penthouse room, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. The last and most recent visit occurred in December.

Irish news media have reported on the case since news of the assault first broke late last year, but without naming McGregor. Laws in Ireland restrict the news media from identifying individuals charged with rape unless they are convicted, which has not happened in this case. News outlets reporting the identity of a suspect before a charge is brought often face costly libel and breach of privacy lawsuits in Ireland. Publication after a charge is filed could lead to a more serious contempt of court indictment.

The police investigating the attack retrieved evidence from the room McGregor stayed in and have also secured closed-circuit camera footage, according to a person with knowledge of the investigation.

The limitations on naming suspects and McGregor’s wealth — he made an estimated $99 million last year, according to Forbes — have created an unusual dynamic in an era when celebrity scandals are usually the subject of fervent media scrutiny. An investigation into Cristiano Ronaldo’s involvement in a sexual assault, reported to the police in Las Vegas in 2009, has become an international spectacle.

In the McGregor case, some newsrooms in Ireland have barred employees at meetings from even mentioning his name in connection with the case. Managers have asked staff members to refer to him as the “famous sportsman,” according to a journalist at one of Ireland’s national newspapers.

from New York Times

edit

Wow, no one?

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Welp

Story just took an interesting turn. Or maybe completely unrelated, or maybe just an additional layer.

edit

Wow, no one?
Being objective as this just happened, UFC has to have Conor address all of this at a press conference. A fighter of this magnitude, once in a lifetime, can’t be so casual. I’m under the impression Conor’s decision isn’t based on his fighting more so with his personal life, now.

When Khabib retires, McGregor will be back smack talking.

But since he got his ass whipped, he (just like Ronda Rousey) has disappeared like a chicken.

This narrative is tired.

He got his ass whipped by Diaz and came back at 170 when it would have been easier at 155. He handled that loss like a pro, like he handled his loss to Mayweather.

He’s not Ronda. Not even close.

Ronda walked around with a pillow over her face and swore an oath of silence following her losses.

Conor calls for rematches.

This may sound pretentious but your posts in mma threads, especially after the Till and Wonderboy KOs, make me question how closely you really follow

Last edited:
This narrative is tired.

He got his ass whipped by Diaz and came back at 170 when it would have been easier at 155. He handled that loss like a pro, like he handled his loss to Mayweather.

He’s not Ronda. Not even close.

Ronda walked around with a pillow over her face and swore an oath of silence following her losses.

Conor calls for rematches.

This may sound pretentious but your posts in mma threads, especially after the Till and Wonderboy KOs, make me question how closely you really follow
Haven't seen or heard from McGregor since the Khabib fight. It's not like you can miss him in his splashy MMA promos and tweets. Barely a pip out of the guy since.

JimiNutz

Banned
Welp

edit

Wow, no one?

This was heavily rumoured in December. Funnily enough it was my girlfriend that told me about the rumours back then and she read them on the Daily Mail of all places.

An internationally known Irish sports star (that wasn't a Footballer) had been accused of sexual assault and apparently had also badly beaten the victim as well. Conor wasnt actually named but my girlfriend was convinced it was Conor as what other 'internationally known' Irish sports stars are there around today? I didn't buy it at the time but maybe there is something to those rumours after all.

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
Can I just say here, after reading the depressing deluge of comments on mma site pages

1/ Conor will not have raped this girl, does anyone seriously think he has any need to rape anyone? Even if it happened, she will have decided afterwards..oh, that was Conor, time to get paid.

2/ for fucks sake, even his press office statement says "he will only fight where he is valued". It's leverage. Again.

3/ To the morons on twitter and mmafighting/junkie etc flying their virtue flags of "i hope this poor raped girl can find the strength to move on". As if this is even the case, this poor flower will have had dollar signs in her eyes the instant that Conor went near her pussy trap, if he even did.

People talk as if they're so wise and media savvy, yet the instant any celeb is accused of something they clearly have no need to do, people believe it. You'd think the world would learn that celebs are constantly beset by fame and money grabbers. Yet here we are, outraged, again.

Mista

Banned
That’s bollocks and we all know it. He have done it before and he’s doing it again to promote his fight. How’s he retiring when Dana White said the Connor is going to fight this year?

Winter John

Can I just say here, after reading the depressing deluge of comments on mma site pages

1/ Conor will not have raped this girl, does anyone seriously think he has any need to rape anyone? Even if it happened, she will have decided afterwards..oh, that was Conor, time to get paid.

2/ for fucks sake, even his press office statement says "he will only fight where he is valued". It's leverage. Again.

3/ To the morons on twitter and mmafighting/junkie etc flying their virtue flags of "i hope this poor raped girl can find the strength to move on". As if this is even the case, this poor flower will have had dollar signs in her eyes the instant that Conor went near her pussy trap, if he even did.

People talk as if they're so wise and media savvy, yet the instant any celeb is accused of something they clearly have no need to do, people believe it. You'd think the world would learn that celebs are constantly beset by fame and money grabbers. Yet here we are, outraged, again.

The only one around here who seems outraged is you buddy. If you've got to a point in your life where your calling a potential rape victim a "pussy trap." You might wanna start asking yourself some hard questions.

angelic

Banned
While it's fine to be cynical or have a level of doubt or skepticism, there is a line when pushing anti-allegations before the truth is know. This applies to those on both sides of the fence. See the Smollett example.
The only one around here who seems outraged is you buddy. If you've got to a point in your life where your calling a potential rape victim a "pussy trap." You might wanna start asking yourself some hard questions.

Newsflash, some women use their sexuality to entrap celebrities. Hate to break it to you pal.

Winter John

Newsflash, some women use their sexuality to entrap celebrities. Hate to break it to you pal.

The key word there is "some" buddy. Like I said. If your reaction to a story like this is to start ranting about outrage. Make definitive statements about something you have absolutely no knowledge of. Then call a woman who might have been raped a "pussy trap," you need to ask yourself some tough questions about where you've gone wrong in life

I think this is more to see if the UFC will budge to his demands because it's the 3rd time he retired so its not as believable. I kind of like Danas response, even though it sounds like a typical response wishing him good luck, I cant help but think what he really means is "yeah you made us a ton of money and theres no way in hell you will ever receive a share in the company" .

angelic

Banned
The key word there is "some" buddy. Like I said. If your reaction to a story like this is to start ranting about outrage. Make definitive statements about something you have absolutely no knowledge of. Then call a woman who might have been raped a "pussy trap," you need to ask yourself some tough questions about where you've gone wrong in life

1: yes, some women. In particular, this woman. Conor has the pick of the world's women but he picks some scrubber, and she decides later she didn't consent. So yes, im calling bullshit.

2: you're not only deeply patronising, you're insulting me as a person instead of discussing my argument.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Rape often isn't about the sex or specifically wanting the woman involved. Like you said, he's a wealthy, famous, successful, charismatic guy so he's probably not got a shortage of attractive women interested in him. But rape is often about the power of the act itself. I've no idea whether he did it or not, but him "not needing" to rape anyone isn't an argument against him having done it.

Top Bottom