• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could 4K take PC Gamers out of the Desk Space Ghetto & into the Comfy Couch Suburbs?

onQ123

I'm sure every PC Gamer has hooked their PC up to the Big Screen a few times to see what the big deal was about gaming in the comfort of your couch on a big TV, & chances are you unhooked it & returned to your desk space because you have become accustomed to the higher Dpi of your smaller monitor & the HDTV just didn't look as good to you.

fast forward to 4K & you can finally get the high Dpi that you love on a 1080P 24" monitor in your living room on a bigger screen.

or you can stay at your desk & geek out with a 48" monitor like a mad man.

Edit for clarification: because people don't seem to get that the 'Comfy Couch' thing was just a joke dealing with the back & forth between PC Gamers & Console Gamers because I remember seeing some Console Gamers on NeoGaf use the Comfy Couch thing as a reason why they liked console gaming more & it became a running joke.

Simply put 4K is going to let PC Gamers game on a bigger screen.

legacyzero

Banned
WAT

EDIT: I havn't hooked my PC up to a TV yet. I should try that. However, I'll never pay that much for a 4K TV

-KRS-

I think that when 4K TVs become more common, 4K computer monitors will probably also be pretty common. So I'm gonna say no.

sflufan

Banned
As primarily PC gamer, I can honestly say that it will NOT take me out of my personal office space in which I do my PC gaming and into my living room.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
the comfy couch suburbs are where you go to retire when you give up any hope of being competitive.

i'm holding out for oculus' offspring.

I like gaming on a monitor. Playing mouse and keyboard games is not nearly as comfortable as at a desk, and I would never give up mouse and keyboard controlled games.

ipoS8R6CUWwIU.gif

sp3000

By the time 4K is on TVs, 8K will be standard on monitors

I mean just consider that my 2002 Mitsubishi CRT had a resolution of 2048x1536, while consoles were stuck at barely 480p.

I love playing PC games on my 21" monitor on my desk. I even play games with 360 pad this way, even though the 32" TV is sitting right next to it.

I do all my gaming at 100"+, DPI doesn't matter so long as the viewing distance is reasonable, I'm looking forward to affordable 4K though.

Just not on little TVs.

I know there are some solutions to this but I don't know of specifics. Until I can find a good keyboard/mice combo that works great while sitting on a couch, comfy couch is a no go.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I'm sure every PC Gamer has hooked their PC up to the Big Screen a few times to see what the big deal was about gaming in the comfort of your couch on a big TV, & chances are you unhooked it & returned to your desk space because you have become accustomed to the higher Dpi of your smaller monitor & the HDTV just didn't look as good to you.

fast forward to 4K & you can finally get the high Dpi that you love on a 1080P 24" monitor in your living room on a bigger screen.

I don't use a big monitor at a desk anyone who has done this know the flaw. Most of the games I play are keyboard and reflex heavy and that's not what with big comfy couch setup. I love gaming but I tend to separate a lot of my gaming experience for that.

My problem with big screen gaming isn't the size or DPI its the lag or color space issues most hdtvs still have incomparison to high end displays. That's not on videogame companies but companies like sony that no longer really have a special market for these things nor do I expect them too there is no money in it. First few companies that let me control my colorspace like I do windows on a tv and that supports a colorimeter gets money until then old crt tech when I find and the occasional crap flat panel to hold me over.

OTIX

You must have a seriously strange living room. Normally the longer view distance more than makes up for the lower DPI.

I do a lot of comfy couch PC gaming but it depends on the game. The best part of PC gaming is the mouse, the worst part is the desk.

Exuro

The only way I'd play in the living room was if I got an htpc and more games started following Steam with BIg Picture Mode. What I mean is there are several games that have controller support, but a lot of them need keyboards/mouse to start up. When playing SR3 for example you need to select DX9/11 before starting which requires a controller. If I can get an htpc and have a majority of games using only a controller I'd be more interested.

The reason I wouldn't use my comp is because there are a lot of games I like that only work well with kbm. In other words, the HDTV isn't the reason I don't play, it's the controls inconvenience.

Iztli

As a pc gamer... I prefer no input lag.

Sentenza

It's not about the TV, it's about the gaming setup, the options, and so on.

Truth is: I'm not fond at all of the "comfy couch gaming" experience.
When I sit to my armchair, with my desk and my keyboard and mouse in front of me, I sort of feel like James Tiberious Kirk in charge of the Enterprise.
The world is at my fingertips.

e4c.jpg

When I sit on my couch holding a gamepad in front of the TV I feel more like a rusty old retired civil servant holding a remote control while watching The Price is Right.

couch-potato.jpg

OTIX

The only way I'd play in the living room was if I got an htpc and more games started following Steam with BIg Picture Mode. What I mean is there are several games that have controller support, but a lot of them need keyboards/mouse to start up. When playing SR3 for example you need to select DX9/11 before starting which requires a controller. If I can get an htpc and have a majority of games using only a controller I'd be more interested.
I use my iPad as a wireless trackpad for exactly this sort of thing.

Salacious Crumb

I don't remember saying anything about a price & I said fast forward so this would be a time when 4K is more common.

By the time 4k tvs are common 4k+ monitors will also be common. Besides, I love having my face close to the screen and I prefer KB+M for most games. For me, desk gaming will always be better.

I just got into pc gaming and I'm using my 32" TV which I think is ok. I plan to get a 27" monitor for better dpi and image quality.

Sothpaw

When I sit to my armchair, with my desk and my keyboard and mouse in front of me, I sort of feel like James Tiberious Kirk in charge of the Enterprise.

When I sit on my couch holding a gamepad in front of the TV I feel more like a rusty old retired civil servant holding a remote control while watching The Price is Right.

Well said. DOTA on a couch doesn't sound fun at all.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
You get a smaller viewing angle in the living room. Don't really see the point unless you have a really nice sound system. And even then, as a PC gamer, I'd pick 120hz/120fps over 4k. You get less input lag.

ymmv

Banned
It's rather premature to talk about 4K PC gaming when there's no video standard for 4K resolution at 60fps...

And we should also wait a few years until 4K makes sense: when it's a proven standard, there's actual content available and when 4K TVs are affordable.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I was about to post something in the vein of "Why would I need 4k when PC monitors aren't big enough to warrant that resolution" until I realised that this is about comfty couch PC gaming so I decided not to.

JoeInky

It just wouldn't feel right gaming with a keyboard on a couch.

Which means I'd have to resort to playing MMO's, MOBA's and FPS' with a 360 controller, and no reasonable person would want that.

dino1980

The distance you are sitting infront of a tv vs monitor doesnt require you to need a 4k. You cant see any pixels in normal viewing at a screen with a resolution of 1920*1080. So this thread is irrelevant.

Smokey

Nope. I currently game on a 30" 2560x1600 monitor and love it. As mentioned already monitors will always be ahead and I prefer playing on them despite have a 55" Tv.

Sure, and you can always get a nice comfy bench in front of your PC like this fine gentleman did:

hqdefault.jpg

Top Bottom