• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could 4K take PC Gamers out of the Desk Space Ghetto & into the Comfy Couch Suburbs?

AppleMIX

Am I the only one that rather game in my office than in the living room? Sofas make me sleepy.

Get a better office chair people.

Office chairs > Couches. I need my back support. It is physically impossible for me to play rockband on anything other than a computer chair (I play drums).

Razek

Banned
Office chairs > Couches. I need my back support.

Nah, I'd rather be able to lay and choose my position than be stuck sitting for hours on end.

i0awgFXmxzqyZ.JPG

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Office chairs > Couches. I need my back support.

I know what you mean. And the viewing distance is nice, too. When I play a game on my television, I feel like I need to pull a chair up close. I'm probably going blind though.

Eusis

I think that when 4K TVs become more common, 4K computer monitors will probably also be pretty common. So I'm gonna say no.
This, basically. Computer monitors always have had the edge in resolution, and while this period is something of an exception you can still get much higher resolution monitors. So even in a worst case scenario we'll have desktop 4K monitors that are more affordable than 4K TVs, and everyone would just play on those.

Dabanton

Am I the only one that rather game in my office than in the living room? Sofas make me sleepy.

I like both sometime especially with fast moving games a office chair setup is perfect while for games where I can take things easy I prefer the sofa setup.

onQ123

Don't do this. Especially when it's not true.

so you're telling me that 4K isn't going to allow people who are accustomed to playing on 24" 1080P monitors at close range to play at a further distance now with a bigger monitor without the lost of dpi?

I know did you see my spoiler? I know most people will take advantage of the higher res by getting a bigger monitor.

PCs had this in 2001.

OFnFa.jpg

And because manufacturers are lazy and cheap bastards, they convinced everyone that "full HD" is some magically good thing and progress has stopped since 2007, where common monitors had a higher resolution than today.

So yes, when 4k becomes more common, I'll gladly buy a new 22" or 24" 4k monitor for my PC.

patapuf

nope, i mostly play in my office. Even when i game in the living room i prefer to use a chair instead of the couch most of the time.

Atomski

Nope, I find it much easier to enjoy and focus on a game when I play at a PC screen... (hell I even play my consoles there). The fact I can put on some headphones and have it right there in front of me with no distractions like people walking infront of the screen, others talking, or the dog playing.. Just feels good man.

Comfy couch is super over rated... only thing its good for is some same screen multiplayer.

padlock

Has nothing to do with dpi.

Some games play better with a gamepad from the couch (local multiplayer, sports, arcade racing, etc.) and some with a mouse and keyboard from the desk (strategy, fps, rpgs, etc.)

Luckily, my pc is hooked up to both and switching between them is a a matter of a couple of keystrokes.

onQ123

Nope, I find it much easier to enjoy and focus on a game when I play at a PC screen... (hell I even play my consoles there). The fact I can put on some headphones and have it right there in front of me with no distractions like people walking infront of the screen, others talking, or the dog playing.. Just feels good man.

Comfy couch is super over rated... only thing its good for is some same screen multiplayer.

it's funny that everyone focused on the 'Comfy Couch' thing when that was just a play on the back & forth that PC Gamers & Console Gamers have going on the internet SMH.

Nimajneb

PCs had this in 2001.

22" at 4K. That pixel density. I's pretty depressing how the 1080p standard killed the high resolution monitor market.

Some games play better with a gamepad from the couch

I don't know, I like sitting close to the screen when using a controller too. Even when playing consoles I usually sit in a chair or on the floor. The only time I ever game on the couch is when I'm using a handheld.

I'm sure every PC Gamer has hooked their PC up to the Big Screen a few times to see what the big deal was about gaming in the comfort of your couch on a big TV, & chances are you unhooked it & returned to your desk space because you have become accustomed to the higher Dpi of your smaller monitor & the HDTV just didn't look as good to you.

fast forward to 4K & you can finally get the high Dpi that you love on a 1080P 24" monitor in your living room on a bigger screen.

or you can stay at your desk & geek out with a 48" monitor like a mad man.

30 inch 2560x1600 at 3ft in a comfy ergonomic chair

vs

50 inch 3840x2160 at 8 ft in a comfy couch.

Doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to me.

I don't play PC games because of the high dpi. I play it because of the greater Image Quality thanks to being able to tune anti-aliasing settings, anistropic filtering settings, and buffering settings to reduce screen tearing.

Also this is meaningless for multi monitor users.

Actually has anyone figured out how to do a nice multi tv setup for the living room? Seems pointless no matter how I think about it. Maybe a monitor attached to your sofa, but wiring could be tricky.

Ceebs

The reason I do not play games on the couch has nothing to do with the my TV being lower resolution than my monitor. I do not play on the TV because I can't stand being so far away from the screen. It makes everything I am doing in a game feel very disconnected and distant.

So, no 4K TVs will not help. I will gladly buy a 4K monitor though.

Pimpbaa

Couch? I prefer my massaging recliner (with heat!). Have my keyboard and mouse on a notebook lap table.

ymmv

Banned
PCs had this in 2001.

OFnFa.jpg

And because manufacturers are lazy and cheap bastards, they convinced everyone that "full HD" is some magically good thing and progress has stopped since 2007, where common monitors had a higher resolution than today.

We needed new 24" monitors at work. I made specifically asked for 1200p monitors, and still I got 1080p monitors because that was the only size available where we (have to) buy our stuff. It's ridiculous how rare 1920x1200 monitors have become. And a WTF at 27" 1080p PC monitors!

I love my 30" 2560x1600 monitor, but it's almost 5 years old and there's still nothing better on the market. We're still stuck with 1080p monitors instead of 1600p monitors becoming cheap and mainstream.

jaypah

the comfy couch suburbs are where you go to retire when you give up any hope of being competitive.

i'm holding out for oculus' offspring.

I've never ever played many games competitively outside of arcades and doubt that I ever will. I'm big on single player so my PC hooked to my TV is awesome for me. Also note that despite having PCs for a while i didn't get a GPU and "PC game" until my current PC, which I've only played on my TV.

Super amped for VR shit though. Since an early teen i thought that was where I wanted to be.

Edit: wait, why was the OP j'd? He's a good poster and this thread premise was interesting with no crazy fanboy shit. It was about PC gamers having higher DPI on TVs and as such seeing TVs as less of a downgrade, right?

onQ123

The reason I do not play games on the couch has nothing to do with the my TV being lower resolution than my monitor. I do not play on the TV because I can't stand being so far away from the screen. It makes everything I am doing in a game feel very disconnected and distant.

So, no 4K TVs will not help. I will gladly buy a 4K monitor though.

4K will enable you to be closer to your Bigger TV without it looking bad.

Snakeyes

lol

Bro, I've seen you in multiple 4K threads where this shit has been explained many times and it looks like you still don't get it.

Users gain more benefits from a higher DPI display the closer they sit to it because there is no loss of detail despite a shorter viewing distance (and thus a wider field of view).

If anything, widespread 4K displays will encourage more people to game at their desktop because the experience will become even more immersive than it is today.

Top Bottom