• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could 4K take PC Gamers out of the Desk Space Ghetto & into the Comfy Couch Suburbs?

Grief.exe

Hate to break it to ya, but we've already been playing at 4k resolutions with downsampling.

I hook my PC up to my TV everyonce in a while to play emulated multiplayer games with friends. My gf really likes yoshi's island too. Castle Crashers will be great for this.

Eusis

so you're telling me that 4K isn't going to allow people who are accustomed to playing on 24" 1080P monitors at close range to play at a further distance now with a bigger monitor without the lost of dpi?
DPI's benefits work like this:

1. A high DPI lets you pack more detail into a given space, which is why people care about Retina display.

2. A low DPI (or more accurately a larger screen of the same resolution) lets you get further away from a screen without perceptible detail loss, assuming you have good vision or are wearing glasses/contacts.

For your arguement (comfy couch gaming) you don't necessarily WANT the same DPI as you would from a monitor, not unless you were to "geek out" and keep a 48 inch screen on your desk. Ergo, why many of us are more interested in 4K monitors for computer spaces, we WANT to see that DPI go absurdly high. Hell, if anything it'd be we'd get our 4K monitors, then get 4K TVs to appreciate that image from a greater distance, much like 1080p monitors/TVs now.

onQ123

lol

Bro, I've seen you in multiple 4K threads where this shit has been explained many times and it looks like you still don't get it.

Users gain more benefits from a higher DPI display the closer they sit to it because there is no loss of detail despite a shorter viewing distance (and thus a wider field of view).

If anything, widespread 4K displays will encourage more people to game at their desktop because the experience will become even more immersive than it is today.

no one had to explain anything to me I know this.

mephixto

Banned
now just imaging if you could replace them 2 small monitors with one of these at 4K

hedpic600.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/27/vizio-xvt-cinemawide-tv-goes-on-sale/

I prefer the 31" 4k monitor, maye better dpi than a 50" fat ass tv and prob more affordable.

viewsonicdsc03706.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/05/viewsonic-vp3280-led-4k-monitor-hands-on/

Eusis

no one had to explain anything to me I know this.
... Then why are you even asking this? Unless you seriously expected 4K monitors wouldn't be around, I expect at worst computer monitors become content to match TV resolutions, but in smaller displays and faster response times.
What kind of cable do you need to run 4k with 60fps?
Composite.
Given the 60 FPS PS1/Saturn games not only is that likely true but it may be overkill, just get RF!

Comfy couch is not necessarily the best alternative for all games. I feel more focused when I sit straigt up and play, so 4k is not going to change anything for me. I have my PC connected to my TV all the time already, but I very rarely choose the TV and couch.

zoku88

I'm sure every PC Gamer has hooked their PC up to the Big Screen a few times to see what the big deal was about gaming in the comfort of your couch on a big TV, & chances are you unhooked it & returned to your desk space because you have become accustomed to the higher Dpi of your smaller monitor & the HDTV just didn't look as good to you.

fast forward to 4K & you can finally get the high Dpi that you love on a 1080P 24" monitor in your living room on a bigger screen.

or you can stay at your desk & geek out with a 48" monitor like a mad man.

But monitors at that time will even have higher DPI that TVs, most likely... even at 24"...

Haunted

Funny, after reading the first post I immediately thought that the OP's thread creation privileges weren't long for this world. So many bad threads in such short succession.

Then I scroll down and bam. Mods always one step ahead.

onQ123

Nobody is going to sit close to a big 4k screen tv.. it wouldnt make a lick of sense.

that's one of the benefits of the higher res you will be able to sit closer to a bigger screen so you wouldn't have to sit so far back from a 46" that's what enables them to make 84" 4K TVs because because you can watch a 84" 4K TV at about the same distance that you needed to watch a 50" 1080P TV

requiring to turn your head to view the screen is a no-no for me :S

my current setup.

one of those cheap korean 27" monitor 1440p

old dell 23" monitor 1080p

pc and ps3 attached.

Some broke ass office chair (good one is back at parent's house :S).

but he was using 2 monitors so not much changed.

Anim

requiring to turn your head to view the screen is a no-no for me :S

my current setup.

one of those cheap korean 27" monitor 1440p

old dell 23" monitor 1080p

pc and ps3 attached.

Some broke ass office chair (good one is back at parent's house :S).

I think it's time for me to invest in a second monitor. I could watch two episodes of LotGH at the same time. :p

And on topic: I agree with the others saying that such resolutions on TVs would lead to high resolution monitors being more common. I would gladly take 3840 × 2160 on a 27" screen over a 50" TV.

now just imaging if you could replace them 2 small monitors with one of these at 4K

hedpic600.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/27/vizio-xvt-cinemawide-tv-goes-on-sale/

I defiantly want higher res. My 23 inch is 1080 which really is fine for the distance I am from it, but then the iPad 3 came out and I was like that tablet is higher res than my gaming monitor. So when its time to replace it I will go higher res, but I'm not going to buy a 4k TV and move my gaming to the living room. When I got Modern Warfare 2 I actually preferred the smaller monitor to using my 52in TV in multiplayer.

that's one of the benefits of the higher res you will be able to sit closer to a bigger screen so you wouldn't have to sit so far back from a 46" that's what enables them to make 84" 4K TVs because because you can watch a 84" 4K TV at about the same distance that you needed to watch a 50" 1080P TV

I mean, having to turn your head to view just 1 monitor is a no no for me, which you kinda have to do with a 40-50 inch tv at desk distances unless the tv is way far back, but then what's the point?

That actually looks nice. How is it for productivity aka yell at the Internet about why its wrong?

It works great for pretty much anything. I have a HTPC and my wife and I still fight over this set up although she just sits in the chair and puts the mouse and keyboard in the slide out.

I can't speak for everyone, but my 2 monitors are for multi-tasking. I game on the left and browse or watch movies on the right.

onQ123

I think it's time for me to invest in a second monitor. I could watch two episodes of LotGH at the same time. :p

And on topic: I agree with the others saying that such resolutions on TVs would lead to high resolution monitors being more common. I would gladly take 3840 × 2160 on a 27" screen over a 50" TV.

I am a lot more interested in a 30" 4k monitor than in a 50" 4k TV set.

I defiantly want higher res. My 23 inch is 1080 which really is fine for the distance I am from it, but then the iPad 3 came out and I was like that tablet is higher res than my gaming monitor. So when its time to replace it I will go higher res, but I'm not going to buy a 4k TV and move my gaming to the living room. When I got Modern Warfare 2 I actually preferred the smaller monitor to using my 52in TV in multiplayer.

the point that I'm getting at is that 4K will make your 46" TV more like your 23" 1080P monitor. differences being that it will be bigger & you will have more space in between you & the monitor.

onQ123

What? A workflow with two monitors is always different and better than one giant ass screen.

I was talking about the park when he said turning your head to see the screen is a no-no

Haven't you heard? There won't be any 4k monitors. Only TVs. onQ said so (by ignoring all the previous posts about that).

yep that's what I said & I said nothing about getting a bigger monitor in the OP in the spoiler.

I actually like this thread. I genuinely feel that moving away from the desk experience to the couch is only hindered by a quality and innovative interface that can allow precise input, something valve may be working on and the display which valve is also migrating towards (big picture mode. The missing link is a High DPI display that is somewhat affordable. My gut feeling is Apple will get it right and shoot for a 2500 dpi TV Display that will actually look Great and have a good target of software that can support it while looking amazing. When all these pieces line up, say good bye to desktop gaming.

jaypah

I actually like this thread. I genuinely feel that moving away from the desk experience to the couch is only hindered by a quality and innovative interface that can allow precise input, something valve may be working on and the display which valve is also migrating towards (big picture mode. The missing link is a High DPI display that is somewhat affordable. My gut feeling is Apple will get it right and shoot for a 2500 dpi TV Display that will actually look Great and have a good target of software that can support it while looking amazing. When all these pieces line up, say good bye to desktop gaming.

Most hardcore PC gamers will still opt for the desk experience. But even though there'll be more PC gamers than ever the video game community will still find a way to segregate itself. So we'll have PC gamers, console gamers and the new addition "couchers". I'll remain a coucher because desks just ain't my style at all.

onQ123

? not even a 8K 22" monitor would have that kinda dpi.

All you're talking about is putting a TV on a desk. Why would anyone do that, when there will be 4k monitors?

What?

jaypah

All you're talking about is putting a TV on a desk. Why would anyone do that, when there will be 4k monitors?

Hence the "mad man" part. I figured 4k monitors were a given so he skipped straight to having the 4K TV he mentioned right on the desk in front of you. I dunno. Seems like people are going at his throat for nothing.

the point that I'm getting at is that 4K will make your 46" TV more like your 23" 1080P monitor. differences being that it will be bigger & you will have more space in between you & the monitor.

I would rather keep my size distance relationship the same as it is now and have a 4k monitor. There are 2 prefrences here Living Room Gaming and Desktop Gaming. People already have TVs that match the resolution of their monitors and still prefer desktop gaming. When 4k TVs come out desktop monitors will be 4k or higher. You seem to think that there will be 4k TVs and not 4K monitors or I am not understanding your thinking.

TLDR: People who currently prefer desktop gaming will keep on doing it with 4K monitors while a 4K TV sits in the living room where my wife can watch low bit rate Netflix hehe

Grayman

I mostly desk game and I kind of assume that if I am at the point of buying a 4k tv I will probably have owned a 4k monitor for x years. the 1080p to 4k transition is going to be really rough on performance.

Izayoi

Banned
I bought a nice HDTV thinking I would play my consoles on it, but here I am a few months later and it has been relegated solely to anime watching. When I do play my consoles, I play them on my PC monitor, just like I used to.

Oh well.

And do recall most people don't have a desk computer and a computer for the living room (and you will need quite a beast of a rig to max stuff out at 4k). Getting a massive hdmi cable and drill a few holes would work somewhat... but... I don't think 4k tv's would change anything on that front.

4K displays and 3D are never going to move televisions to the mass market. It will have to be something else and die hard PC gamers will never switch to consoles no matter what.

One thing I like about Kinect is the voice command aspect. If someone could streamline that into TV's and let you video conference with friends, etc. then I see some possibilities with that tech integration with TV's. Heck that might bomb as bad as 3D though who knows.

onQ123

4K displays and 3D are never going to move televisions to the mass market. It will have to be something else and die hard PC gamers will never switch to consoles no matter what.

One thing I like about Kinect is the voice command aspect. If someone could streamline that into TV's and let you video conference with friends, etc. then I see some possibilities with that tech integration with TV's. Heck that might bomb as bad as 3D though who knows.

No one said anything about PC gamers switching to consoles this is about being able to play on a bigger screen because of the higher resolution.

So, somewhere in the world, there are people (who aren't creative professionals) who are really excited to shell out to upgrade their entire setup to 4K?

You learn something new every day, I guess. TV manufacturers must love you.

Eusis

yep that's what I said & I said nothing about getting a bigger monitor in the OP in the spoiler.
You really, truly do not get what me and others are saying about DPI, do you? If you make that giant TV the same DPI as the computer monitor it's not going to make you want to sit further away, you will want to sit the same distance away as from the desktop monitor to retain the same sharpaness. For that matter we don't want a 47 inch monitor (if you can find one in that size for the consumer market that ISN'T a TV!), we'll want the 4K 20-some inch monitor instead to overcharge that DPI. Seriously, take a look at this, at best you might have an argument for people who are in the middle, they want higher DPI yet also want to sit a bit further away, but you're not making that argument. If you want to keep that same 1080p sharpness you get from your monitor for your comfy couch gaming you... just get a big 1080p TV. Sit the correct distance away, and it is effectively the same as far as you can discern.

I don't see 4K on TVs taking off for a very long time:

- in the vast majority of all cases, the visual improvement is hardly visible.
- there is almost no content
- there is no way to get content into the living room

Therefore I don't get the enthusiasm for 4K TVs.

Yet I have hopes that dpi on pc monitors increases. I wish my monitor had ipad 3 like fidelity. Text becomes a lot more pleasant to read. I hope Microsoft and display manufacturers follow Apple's lead.

onQ123

So, somewhere in the world, there are people (who aren't creative professionals) who are really excited to shell out to upgrade their entire setup to 4K?

You learn something new every day, I guess. TV manufacturers must love you.

I'm not talking about today, & yes there will be lots of people excited to upgrade.

Top Bottom