• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could this be possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptunes

I found this on a forum where I was telling nintendo fanboys not to expect ds online anytime soon.

False. Nintendo could use the DS hardware, specifically the RAM, to allow other players (in the region, for it is always faster the closer you are to the other person with which you are making a connection) information to be automatically sent (through developed software such as an onboard ROM chip like that of the BIOS of a computer) from system to system. This would therefore make it possible to attain a player "Buddy List" if you will of people who are currently online and ready to go. Such a list would therefore have to be specific to the current game being played so that the users DS would not have to search through multiple persons playing miscellaneous games irrelevant to the person wanting to connect (an example being that a person playing "Metroid: Hunters" doesn’t need to know, nor waste the time to load the required information, of a person looking for someone to play “Mario: 64x4” with). No server would need be involved as you would be creating a P2P network were data is simultaneously sent from person to person without any interaction from a server or database computer, the only difference being that this would involve a mobile gaming device that happens to be wireless (a perfect example of this being mobile-phone gaming, such as the N-Gage). Thank you, thank you very much. NEXT!

Wow, let me quote "A good peer to peek network requires lots of clients to function correctly"... I have a P2P network set up in my house with four computers, usually only two of which are always online. You seem to have no idea what you are talking about. All you need in order to set up a fully functional P2P network is two computers networked together... that’s it, just two. In relation to speed, yes it would be slow if the P2P network were based over a huge area, that’s why it would be localized to major cities and states (where there are no or few big cities). Wrong again my friend.

Hawksley

I don't know if it's true or not, but if it is you got yourself owned. Let me be the first to offer my condolences.

If it is true, though, then awesome.

Edit: Awesome.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I have no idea why you're being skeptic about the online capabilities of DS, especially since Reggie said you can play the DS across time zones. What do you think he meant, people driving state to state to play wirelessly?

Chrono

Banned
I'd worship Nintendo for the remaining years of my miserable life if that happens. :D All Hail Nintendo!

Edit: if I can do it just with my DS-- no adapter/whatever!

Wario64 said:
I have no idea why you're being skeptic about the online capabilities of DS, especially since Reggie said you can play the DS across time zones. What do you think he meant, people driving state to state to play wirelessly?

REGGIE SAID IT! Better believe it! :p

I actually believe Reggie, so it wasn't a sarcastic joke! :)

xsarien

daedsiluap
neptunes said:
I found this on a forum where I was telling nintendo fanboys not to expect ds online anytime soon.

The DS has built in support for 802.11 wireless connections, as well as bluetooth. Now, if there's one company that doesn't splurge on shit they're not going to use, it's Nintendo.

I'm hoping that when I turn my DS on for the first time it'll ask me to give it a name. That way it would be able to do buddy lists and such. I'd be easy to see if your friends were online via WiFi (obviously you'll know if they're on the local area).

Also, I believe PictoChat needs to be included with the hardware. Nobody will pay for a chat application. Bundling it with the hardware, or even hard wiring it into the system on it's own chip (the application can't be that big can it?), will ensure that people see the DS as a game system with a heavy focus on communication.

neptunes

but that is all you guys can do is...hope

friends list? come on!!
who are we talking about here?

but It would be cool if we could use the MiC online.

xsarien

daedsiluap
neptunes said:

friends list? come on!!

Well, it's educated speculation. Nintendo mentioned long-distance gaming during the press conference, and it's mentioned in the DS section of nintendo.com as well. If anyone's "hoping" here... ;)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
neptunes said:

friends list? come on!!

Why do we have to hope? Nintendo announced WiFi online capabilities rather specifically at E3.

jarrod

Banned
StrikerObi said:
Also, I believe PictoChat needs to be included with the hardware. Nobody will pay for a chat application. Bundling it with the hardware, or even hard wiring it into the system on it's own chip (the application can't be that big can it?), will ensure that people see the DS as a game system with a heavy focus on communication.
Nintendo reps said they were considering this at E3. At the least, I'd expect it as a pack-in...

neptunes

FROM LAUNCH!

lies.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
And you don't think Nintendo learned from its mistakes? Online play is here to stay and they'd be stupid not to jump on the online bandwagon.

Besides, the Gamecube modem is packaged seperately from the console. For DS, you won't have to buy anything as Wi-Fi capabilities will be available out of the box. Why put something in the DS if it isn't gonna be used? Nintendo could save costs by taking wireless out if they weren't gonna use it

neptunes

Besides, the Gamecube modem is packaged seperately from the console. For DS, you won't have to buy anything as Wi-Fi capabilities will be available out of the box

but in a way, to play it online (if they allowed it)

many people who do not have wire-less routers and the supposed userbase (kids) would have to buy wifi routers.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It's not rocket science, neptunes. Wifi capability will be built in from day 1 with the DS. Whether Nintendo chooses to capitalize on it specifically doesn't really matter. Any 3rd party can take advantage of it and can work with a variety of vendors of online gaming services, like Gamespy, to build the infrastructure they may need.

many people who do not have wire-less routers and the supposed userbase (kids) would have to buy wifi routers.
That's probably the biggest hurdle, but not an insurmountable one. Wifi uptake in homes is occurring at a healthy pace. If you live in an urban area, you can find a lot of unencrypted Wifi bandwidth floating in the air, ripe for the plucking ;)

If nothing else, it replaces the need to buy a separate connection cable.

jedimike

It might be possible, but not probable. For that to happen you would have to have constant broadcasts that would take up a huge amount of the already limited bandwidth. Plus you would have problems trying to connect to games that no longer exist. Typically people use handhelds for short amount of times. So one handheld has "recorded" your hop. It the goes through several more hops to reach your friend. Now you shut-off your DS. It will take a long time for each hop to register your disconnect. Meanwhile people are trying to join you.

It would be a very inefficient and messy network with lots of lag.

Having a connection server makes more sense. Your connection will be monitored through the server, taking less bandwidth and offering more accurate connection status. Plus it can route your packet to the right DS and not everyone elses DS.

xsarien

daedsiluap
neptunes said:
but in a way, to play it online (if they allowed it)

Not to ignite this old chestnut of an argument, but I remember a fairly distinct statement being made that Nintendo was aiming the DS at a slightly older age group than what they're traditionally known for.

neptunes said:
FROM LAUNCH!

lies.jpg

Yes, and a few games used it. It was also something that had to be bought sperately, the DS's networking abilities are built into the device, the bar's set a little higher now.

neptunes

Not to ignite this old chestnut of an argument, but I remember a fairly distinct statement being made that Nintendo was aiming the DS at a slightly older age group than what they're traditionally known for.

where?...

Rhindle

People have talked about this sort of "lilypad" approach to networking for a number of years, and I'm pretty sure I remember reading something about Nintendo being interested in it.

But all it is is a theoretical way to transmit emails and other non-time-sensitive communications, and even then only in densely populated areas, and only if you create a public standard that would apply to all next-gen Wifi devices. It certainly isn't anything that is relevant to online gaming.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I guess I'm a little confused. Neptunes are you asking whether DS Online is likely to happen at all or whether this particular P2P technique is likely to happen? If the latter, then I definitely agree with Rhindle and Jedi about the feasibility being very low.

But if you're just asking whether online gaming is going happen at all on the DS, then I'd say that's a foregone conclusion.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
yeah seriously this topic is fucking stupid

stop fear mongering and riling up the fanboys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom