• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could we see the end of Physical Gaming Media after next gen?

While many people want to cling to physical, as do I, it seems like this upcoming generation may be the last time we see physical. There's no new format on the horizon at all and with digital becoming more accessible on weaker connections due to the 5G. Because of this it would be cheaper to go digital than buy a box and then buy boxed software for that box.

It's clear that there's no opponent successor to BR discs in sight, and video off SD is no where near the same quality, so Digital will end up being the king. It sucks but we have to look at the big picture.

Games are getting bigger and bigger, and even for games that aren't open-world, effects, assets, resolution, all of them are growing, and the physical format we have now is staying the same. So at SOME POINT we are going to see the return of multidisc games because a single physical disc will not be able to hold all that data anymore.

This also becomes obvious when you realize that HDD and SDD drives are becoming cheaper and cheaper. So with 2TB or higher storage capacities with high write speeds, not only do you have plenty of room for digital unlike before, but you will get improved resolution and framerate for SDD drives since the write speeds are better so it's wouldn't cause long loading screens for uncompressed visuals and frame-rate.

There's also an increasing focus by many companies to mirror your gaming on phones and other portable electronics, which if it becomes the norm will also be a big hit against physical.

To be frank, Sony and Microsoft are already investing in a digital future, they are just adding drives to the new consoles to avoid backlash from the current physical market, but as the lower income countries receive 5G, and physical becomes more costly overall the physical market will die quickly.

Some say it may take 2 more generations, but we are already seeing limits in space with VR discs, with games taking up to 85% of their capacities and, as I said before, we are looking at the possibility of multidisc games. In some countries like the UK we are seeing 50% digital in the market or more for some games.

With no other physical alternative I believe that we'll see a massive decline in physical 3 years into the next generation, and the complete phasing out of it by the end, with the Xbox three and the PS6 removing drives all together and focusing on multiscreen gaming. The box will still be there but for Digital only.

Sadly no one is currently working on a next generation physical movie/gaming format so there's nothing that can be done imo.

Dthomp

I hope not, I love actually owning things and seeing a collection. I don't have any interest in netflix gaming world where you just rent everything.

DESTROYA

Really hope not but by that time maybe we’ll see a new , better, faster format for gaming.
Just not digital only.

with digital becoming more accessible on weaker connections due to the 5G. Because of this it would be cheaper to go digital than buy a box and then buy boxed software for that box.

5G is weaker than standard internet, 5G is for phones, Internet Providers have faster speeds. 5G isn't even usable for consoles and PC's unless you have a hotspot feature turned on.

It's clear that there's no opponent successor to BR discs in sight, and video off SD is no where near the same quality, so Digital will end up being the king. It sucks but we have to look at the big picture.

If the SD is large enough than you can put uncompressed videos on it. If you're hardware is good the result will be as good or better. Also why are you talking about video?

Games are getting bigger and bigger, and even for games that aren't open-world, effects, assets, resolution, all of them are growing, and the physical format we have now is staying the same. So at SOME POINT we are going to see the return of multidisc games because a single physical disc will not be able to hold all that data anymore.

You do realize there are 100GB and 128GB BluRay discs right?

This also becomes obvious when you realize that HDD and SDD drives are becoming cheaper and cheaper. So with 2TB or higher storage capacities with high write speeds, not only do you have plenty of room for digital unlike before, but you will get improved resolution and framerate for SDD drives since the write speeds are better so it's wouldn't cause long loading screens for uncompressed visuals and frame-rate.

What the fuck is an SDD drive??? Solid Drive Drive? It's SSD: Solid State Drive. Also no, write speeds don't increase Frame Rate or resolution.

To be frank, Sony and Microsoft are already investing in a digital future, they are just adding drives to the new consoles to avoid backlash from the current physical market, but as the lower income countries receive 5G, and physical becomes more costly overall the physical market will die quickly.

5G IS A MOBILE NETWORK FORMAT. Also how is 5G being in "lower income countries" going to make physical MORE EXPENSIVE???

Some say it may take 2 more generations, but we are already seeing limits in space with VR discs, with games taking up to 85% of their capacities and, as I said before, we are looking at the possibility of multidisc games. In some countries like the UK we are seeing 50% digital in the market or more for some games.

The heck is a VR Disc? If you meant BluRay, there are 100GB and 128GB variants. We won't be seeing multi-disc games, and games ARE NOT taking "85%" of capacity, where did you even get that from?

With no other physical alternative I believe that we'll see a massive decline in physical 3 years into the next generation, and the complete phasing out of it by the end, with the Xbox three and the PS6 removing drives all together and focusing on multiscreen gaming. The box will still be there but for Digital only.

Did you forget that all digital, especially for more taxing games, would require amazing latency with near zero input lag, many countries having top tier internet and no caps, very cheap storage options around 5TBs minimum, compression on digital gaming assets and movies to be nearly gone with high bitrates, and digital gaming to be 'cheaper" in order to actually kill off Physical in the next 5-6 years?

It's not happening anytime soon I'm afraid. Maybe 6G or 7G will kill consoles, but not 5G. Actually, none of them will because they are MOBILE NETWORK SERVICES FOR PHONES.

Also, I like how you had to find some way to bring up some weakness to BluRay again, for the 17th time. Hate to break it to you, but 5G and SDD(?) drives aren't going to kill BluRay it either.

Admittedly, I do wonder about this sometimes. I think and REALLY hope we will still see physical media next generation in the form of double sided Blu-ray’s or something, but we will probably be all digital and streaming by the generation after. The internet infrastructure just isn’t there yet and certain parts of the world not having proficient internet will have to alienated. I just don’t want gaming that is reliant on effective internet 24/7 and I prefer ownership and buying the games wherever and whenever I want at the prices I’m satiated with.

The moment they announce no more physical games is when there is a very high chance I’m done with modern gaming. As I said numerous times, I don’t trust these greedy corporations and they will have full control over pricing and ownership. Digital prices are still a legitimate joke. Gotta wait for them to put the games on sales and data caps will get decimated. I’m not even going to mention what a mess streaming will most likely be. These companies are implementing these industry changes for their benefits, not the consumers.

juliotendo

Unlikely.

Physical media is still very popular among consumers despite trend of digital downloads. And in some countries physical is always preferred over digital.

I personally myself prefer digital because I live in the US. However when I travel to Latin America physical media is hugely popular.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Digital is comfortable and is seen as a savior in some circles (no hard drive errors, deals etc.)

The laptop I’m on now doesn’t have a drive for physical games lol Physical media is more of a collectors niche and if the cover art isn’t fire gamers pick it apart.

demigod

5G is weaker than standard internet, 5G is for phones, Internet Providers have faster speeds. 5G isn't even usable for consoles and PC's unless you have a hotspot feature turned on.

If the SD is large enough than you can put uncompressed videos on it. If you're hardware is good the result will be as good or better. Also why are you talking about video?

What the fuck is an SDD drive??? Solid Drive Drive? It's SSD: Solid State Drive. Also no, write speeds don't increase Frame Rate or resolution.

5G IS A MOBILE NETWORK FORMAT. Also how is 5G being in "lower income countries" going to make physical MORE EXPENSIVE???

The heck is a VR Disc? If you meant BluRay, there are 100GB and 128GB variants. We won't be seeing multi-disc games, and games ARE NOT taking "85%" of capacity, where did you even get that from?

Did you forget that all digital, especially for more taxing games, would require amazing latency with near zero input lag, many countries having top tier internet and no caps, very cheap storage options around 5TBs minimum, compression on digital gaming assets and movies to be nearly gone with high bitrates, and digital gaming to be 'cheaper" in order to actually kill off Physical in the next 5-6 years?

It's not happening anytime soon I'm afraid. Maybe 6G or 7G will kill consoles, but not 5G. Actually, none of them will because they are MOBILE NETWORK SERVICES FOR PHONES.

Also, I like how you had to find some way to bring up some weakness to BluRay again, for the 17th time. Hate to break it to you, but 5G and SDD(?) drives aren't going to kill BluRay it either.

OP doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Even on phones you will be either data capped or speed capped.

It's possible, but I expect it might still be around for PS6/Xbox 5. After that generation though? No way, not a chance. Anyone at that point who wants physical media will just simulate it in VR and AR with virtual cases stacking their shelves.

Last edited:

Von Hugh

OP doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Even on phones you will be either data capped or speed capped.

"Bu-but muh data cap"

Move on. People download gigabytes of software on their phones, stream Netflix and download games from Steam to their PCs without a blink of an eye, but when it comes to game consoles you suddenly direly need physical media. Even cars and their navigation systems have moved on from running maps from DVDs to just using a hard drive.

Ten_Fold

No not for a long while, I love owning my games and trading them in once in a while. I own some digital games but not more than hard copies I love seeming them stacked on my shelf and I’m starting a room for classics.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
We've had both physical and digital for awhile, but I've noticed a new phenomenon this generation: limited printings of niche titles.

These are indie games that are expected to sell so little at retail that they've remained digital only. At least, until a third-party boutique like superraregames.com, limitedrungames.com, play-asia.com, etc decides to pick up the tab for a limited printing. This is clearly profitable enough where a run of only a few thousand is worthwhile. These indie games are lucky to crack 100,000 total, so it makes sense that the printings would be low.

Often, these aren't even new releases. The physical version comes out months if not years after the original digital release. Yet, a sizeable-enough pool of customers is willing to buy anyway.

So let's just think this through: indie games that sell in the ten-thousands are popular enough to warrant limited physical releases. The cost of manufacturing, printing, and shipping will continue to go down.

After next-gen, you think that AAA games selling in the tens of millions won't at least have some boutique option, if nothing else? Surely it won't be every game but I expect physical releases to be around for quite a while, if only as a niche option for a certain market of customers.

demigod

"Bu-but muh data cap"

Move on. People download gigabytes of software on their phones, stream Netflix and download games from Steam to their PCs without a blink of an eye, but when it comes to game consoles you suddenly direly need physical media. Even cars and their navigation systems have moved on from running maps from DVDs to just using a hard drive.

Netflix streaming is free on T-mobile. Goodluck downloading 50gigs with hotspot when its capped at 10GB.

I hope not as I love those Collectors Editions and figures. But it seems like it
I hope not either, I'm not worried about collector's editions anymore after what Rockstar did for the RDR2 collectors box, it never came with the actual game and was a stand alone for collectors but was geared towards people who digitally downloaded the game. I bought both, the physical Ultimate Edition and the collectors box. I feel like other companies will follow suit, too much money left on the table not to have collector's editions.

Generally speaking I hope physical media will still be around into several generations ahead but gezzsus its starting to not look so great which sucks, I want to actually own something for my money.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
While many people want to cling to physical, as do I, it seems like this upcoming generation may be the last time we see physical. There's no new format on the horizon at all and with digital becoming more accessible on weaker connections due to the 5G. Because of this it would be cheaper to go digital than buy a box and then buy boxed software for that box.

There's also an increasing focus by many companies to mirror your gaming on phones and other portable electronics, which if it becomes the norm will also be a big hit against physical.

Sadly no one is currently working on a next generation physical movie/gaming format so there's nothing that can be done imo.
No sir. Physical media forever.

Until data caps cease to exist and gigabit connections be the norm.

Norse

Put Blu Ray burners in next gen that will allow us to burn our own media that ties the game code to our gamer tag. The burner could have the ability to etch custom cover art on the disc as well. Never happen but it would be cool.

Codes 208

"Bu-but muh data cap"

Ah yes, because I love downloading “super fast” 100gb games when Comcast has us set at a monthly 1tb limit with steep penalties for going over that limit. It’s not like physical media alleviates some of that by sparing me of about 20-50gb of downloading per game or anything.

As for phones I have unlimited, but $75 monthly just for one line isn’t cheap. So who exactly are you to criticize what is a legitimate complaint?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
So who exactly are you to criticize what is a legitimate complaint?

Well said.

The way some people act on here you'd swear they think people enjoy having lousy internet connections or data caps (or both).

"Move on" - yeah ok, I'll just create my own ISP then shall I? Or pretend my 3Mb (at best) connection is really 1Gb.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't want it to happen, but yeah, it probably will.

We're over a year away from next gen. That generation will be another 7 year haul. We're a long way away from next-next-gen. A lot can happen in that time, and IMO, by then there will be very few consumers left who want to bother with physical copies of videogames.

bitbydeath

They’d lose a huge chunk of people if they did just due to the fact they either get capped internet, slow internet or no internet and that’s likely not changing in the next 30 years actually I would say there is a greater chance of seeing flying cars before we get the internet available everywhere.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a switch to a usb/cart option though.

bucyou

I hope not. Heard too many horror stories about sony fucking over people with all digital libraries

Physical media's not going anywhere. There are millions of people around the world that still likes owning copies of games, especially countries like Japan.

Ridaxan

I'm sure we'll eventually get to a stage where the majority of games are download-only. It might not happen in the next decade though.

I'm shocked to hear how many countries don't have fast internet across the board yet, and I'm living in the southern tip of Africa sitting with a 200Mbps Fibre connection.

In the UK 5G is being heralded as a potential replacement for traditional home Internet access,especially in more rural areas where speeds are really low, between .5 and 2 Mbps.

Ar¢tos

There is no new format because bluray keeps evolving, there is no point in giving a new name to each new entry. Right now Sony has 300GB Blu-rays and plans for 500gb and 1TB bluray discs. 100gb and 128gb discs have existed for years.
Internet speeds are still very low in some parts of the world to consider downloading 100gb+ games and neither Sony or MS are going to consider losing customers to save 10-15$ by not including a disc drive, specially when they can easily make more than one SKU, and give costumers the option if they want no disc drive and a bigger HDD, for example.

Virex

Abrasive, but well-meaning
Once consoles go digital only is when I stop buying consoles. Luckily I’ve still got all my old consoles and physical games. So I can always go back to those.

Last edited:
The future is obviously smaller Cartridges and Cases!

I touch Digital only as a last resort and will pay the extra for a physical copy for Indies.

If and when Digital is popular and it all goes belly up due to some Solar Flare phenomenon (EMP) then you will see Physical as a luxury again.

As long as big box stores exist, physical media is here to stay. The world is in no way ready for all digital. Personally I hope it never becomes a reality. I like being able to look at my collection. Unfortunately I think with the way the World is going it's pretty inevitable.

Maybe in the next 30ish years or so.

thelodius

Banned
What's that? You're all digital game library has suddenly vanished? Don't worry, for a small restoration fee we will allow you to reinstall. This is the all-digital future Microsoft is hoping we all sleep-walk right into.

Enjay

Banned
Yes seeing as how your average person nowadays is too overwhelmed with responsibility when it comes to taking care of a disc and case.

What's that? You're all digital game library has suddenly vanished? Don't worry, for a small restoration fee we will allow you to reinstall. This is the all-digital future Microsoft is hoping we all sleep-walk right into.

THIS.

And I say this having a huge digital collection. But of course I don't, and nobody who's not beyond degeneracy or just too young and dumb, trust them in any way.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
It also makes you dependable on a third party, so no. I rather prefer something i can own for as much as possible despite boxed copies becoming more dependent on updates more frequently

SSD's don't improve resolution (as in, resolution of the overall image).

I hope so. Physical releases of digital goods are ecologically irresponsible.
If that's the argument you are going to make then lets start with the American food consumer industry and its tendency to buy everything in XXXL formats which are non-reusable, every day. Surely that's more ecologically irresponsible than some games and thus a bigger priority.

klosos

Well this question would be very easy , IF the gaming community decided to vote with there wallet and refuse to buy digital over physical then they will always be a Physical version of games.

However the Gaming community will never do that and will not think long term, so id say PS6 era will be mostly digital/ streaming

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The chances are games are gonna get bigger, I can see consoles using the higher spec Blu-ray that used for 4k Blu-ray and Streaming being an an option.
But Digital Download, there gonna be people who can do it and people who can't.
I mean it takes me under a Hour for 50gb game during peak hours, about 20-30min when I have full speed, yet my brother in the same area is looking at haft a day or days no matter what.
That gonna be worse not gen.
No matte how fast our internet gets the digital content is going to get bigger.

Fbh

Hope not.
While I'm 100% digital on Pc and probably like 70% digitial on ps4 , I still see the value in physical games both from a collecting and from a resale perspective.
With no Amazon and Best Buy where I live reselling games and the second hand market is about the only way to get Nintendo games for less than $60 without having to wait 5 years

Klayzer

Well said.

The way some people act on here you'd swear they think people enjoy having lousy internet connections or data caps (or both).

"Move on" - yeah ok, I'll just create my own ISP then shall I? Or pretend my 3Mb (at best) connection is really 1Gb.
There's a large amount of gamers that seemingly are in a hurry for publishers to control every aspect of their gaming hobby.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don’t think so. Tv didn’t kill radio. Movies didn’t kill books. CDs didn’t kill records. Etc

The future has plenty of room for old media and new media alike. You will never eliminate collectors.
This is true
But I will say while CD’s are still around the music industry hasn't been the same, it took a nosedive in late 90's/early 2000's with the introduction of Digital downloads
Even today they can't reach the heights the industry did 20 years ago.

Every time someone makes a thread about the death of physical media, I go out and buy a physical video game. Today, it was Dark Souls on the Switch. I didn't even need it. I already have a PS3 and PS4 copy. I just wanted it. Physically.

Top Bottom