• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Criterion Channel Releases Slate For Its April Launch

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffew...ases-slate-for-its-april-launch/#a4828e134273

The Criterion Channel is nearing its April 8th launch, and the new streaming service promises a variety of features and new content. Following in the stead of the now-canceled Filmstruck, the Criterion Channel will include both an extensive permanent library and rotating thematic collections of limited but relevant duration.

In its initial launch, the service boasts the Criterion Collection and Janus Films’ increasingly large library of over 1000 feature films, 350 shorts, and 3500 supplementary features. The streaming service will also include a variety of rotating content from studios like Warner Bros., Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures, Metro Goldwyn Mayer (MGM), Lionsgate, IFC, Kino Lorber, Oscilloscope, and more, and films available for inclusion in the service’s feature thematic programming will be available for 90 days.

Among the streaming service's regular original features and events will be spotlight features for various days of the week:

• Tuesdays will have curated pairings of Features and Shorts.
  • Wednesdays will highlight works from female filmmakers.
  • Fridays will have a programmed double feature.
  • Saturdays follow with a family friendly matinee feature.
The Criterion Channel will launch initially in U.S. and Canada and will be available on desktop browsers and through Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Roku, iOS, Android, and Android TV apps. Subscriptions before April 7th will receive reduced fees and an extended 30 day free trial as Charter Subscribers. Subscriptions will be $10.99/month or $99.99/year for non-charter subscribers, and for charter subscriptions, the cost drops to $9.99/month or $89.99/year (a lifetime price for as long as the subscription is continuous) in addition to a free first month.

So I've subscribed. Having access to over 1000 Criterion label movies for 10~ dollars or whatever is great value. There's a 14 day free trial.

Quality is more than adequate but their video software sucks and will freeze if you skip forward too much or something, and can take a while to load. English subtitles are hardcoded but not a problem for me. Overall very convenient.

Only available in the USA and they've went to great lengths to protect registration from VPN users, so you need to jump through some hoops, but once you're signed up once, then it's not a problem.

dream

With “3500 supplementary features,” can I assume that all the films in the catalog include all the extras found on the physical copies?

With “3500 supplementary features,” can I assume that all the films in the catalog include all the extras found on the physical copies?

Zero extras as far as I can see. As far as the desktop web version goes, you get a list of films and you can filter by genre, country and director.

scjZBT8.png

Top Bottom