• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crypt of the Necrodancer |OT| Dancing the knight away

Ferrio

Banned
VB6RhGk.png

Developer: Brace Yourself Games
Genre: Rhythm Roguelike
Platform: Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux
Early Access Release Date: July 30th 2014
Available through: Early Access on Steam
Price: $14.99

Early Access Warning: Necrodancer is currently being released under Early Access, This means the game is considered incomplete by the developers, and may contain bugs and unimplemented features. That being said, the game is way more feature complete that lots of early access games.

Websites

Official Site
Steam Store Page
Crypt of the Necrodancer Wiki
Reddit Forum (good place to post challenge scores)

About

Crypt of the NecroDancer is a top-down 2D dungeon crawler in which the player controls the heroine, Cadence, to explore several levels of an underground dungeon. Players can manipulate Cadence by using either a Dance Dance Revolution pad, a mouse and keyboard, or a gamepad. Moving and fighting are both only possible if keys are pressed in accordance with the beat of the currently playing game music, and players will have the capability to play the game using their own music.

Features
  • Roguelike rhythm game -- the player and enemies all move on the beat!
  • Award winning dance soundtrack by Danny Baranowsky (of Binding of Issac and Meatboy fame). OP note: The soundtrack is godly, and is available for purchase too.
  • A beat detection algorithm allows players to use their own MP3s and music files
  • Move with the keyboard, gamepad, or even a dance pad if you have one!
  • Three zones, with three levels per zone. Final release will have 4 zones total.
  • Random dungeons, multiple characters and an assortment of items/spells to make every playthrough unique!
  • Hardcore mode with permenant death.
  • Local Co-op. You can dance if you want to, don't leave your friends behind!
  • Daily Challenges. See who can can get the most gold from the same seeded dungeon!

Gameplay

0pyEV9w.gif

Navigate Cadence through the Dungeon by clicking movement keys/buttons/pads in accordance with the music's rhythm. Normally only one action can be performed per beat, though there are items that can modify this behavior. As with moving, you can only attack a monster to the music's beat. Every monster killed without missing a single beat adds to the "groove chain" and acts as multiplier to any gold you pick up while the chain is active. Monsters differ in hits needed to kill, the damage they cause and their movement and attack behavior. Adapting to each monster's patterns while keeping your groove chain active is the key to staying victorious throughout the game.

Media

Cinematic Trailer
Early Access Launch Trailer
SoundTrack Sample - Zone 1 Level 1
Zone 1 Level 1 Gameplay
A Co-op playthrough

Credits to Crypt of the Necrodancer Wiki and the Necrodancer Wikipedia entry for the information in this OT. Also thanks to the BlazBlue OT for the general layout.

Ferrio

Banned
So this gem is coming out next week. It almost flew past my radar, but I caught one of my regular twitch streamers playing it a couple weeks ago and I was instantly hooked on the idea. Threw this together in hopes that others who don't know about the game will take notice, because it looks like it's something special. If anything you should be getting it for the soundtrack alone.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
wow this is some pretty awesome stuff love the concept and dig the music. :) thanks for introducing us to it OP!

Incredibly hyped for this game. Watched a lot of streams the past few days but I'm stopping now to leave some surprises.

Day 1.

Been playing the early backer beta of this, and it's incredible how much the game has improved since the early days. They've added replays, a daily challenge, seed-based custom runs, more characters, tons of interesting bosses (the Chess boss and Conga bosses are some of my favorite), and the music by Danny Baranowsky has him really cutting loose and covering a variety of styles.

There's something really great about getting into a groove with the music and lining up perfect combos while dodging enemies. Making the action follow a beat, reminds me a lot of Tetris, how the rate at which the block drops kind of sets the tone.

Rixa

I watched one twitch streamer to play this game earlier this week. Music is awesome, I wouldnt be surprised if this hits consoles too at somepoint (I dont have clue if devs have said something about it).

naib

Watching the manvsgame stream.

Halfway been following this game, but I can't tell what's going on.
I think I want?

So this game isn't getting any hype and visibility at all huh.

I wonder if their marketing plan of letting a few select people stream the game many days before release and making a big event out of it will work out for them. I'd guess they're losing out on a lot of impulse purchases, since you can't even preorder the game right now. A week is a long time for a new hot thing to appear and to forget all about the last one, especially for small games without other marketing presence.

The game is in a very playable state (it's going to be Early Access anyway), it's out there being played and streamed, just let me buy it :/ It looks fantastic, there should be much much more talk about it. I hope it'll blow up next week.

nettin

Neo Member
I watched someone play this with a dance pad at PAX last year, and I've been keeping an eye on it since then. It looks like a lot of fun. Fantastic soundtrack!

I've watched people stream this game off-and-on for about a year now. Right now my money is tied up in Trails in the Sky's PC release, but I have not forgotten about this game and I see myself getting it. Though I'm not sure if I'll wait for it to leave early access or not. As OP said, it's got a lot of features for an Early Release game, but I'll have to do more research all the same.

Zone 1 Level 2 and Zone 2 Level 1 are my favorite songs that I've heard. I still find myself humming them to myself every now and then.

Ferrio

Banned
So this game isn't getting any hype and visibility at all huh.

I wonder if their marketing plan of letting a few select people stream the game many days before release and making a big event out of it will work out for them. I'd guess they're losing out on a lot of impulse purchases, since you can't even preorder the game right now. A week is a long time for a new hot thing to appear and to forget all about the last one, especially for small games without other marketing presence.

Well if it wasn't for the streamers I wouldn't of noticed it that's for sure...so I'm sure it's working on some scale. But ya, I was kinda upset seeing all these people play then going to steam and finding that it wasn't even reelased yet. Not long now though.

My friend sent me a random text telling me to try out this game (which I never heard of beforehand) because he thinks I'd like it.

Welp

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
looks extremely interesting! curious to read impressions from you guys

Kalor

So I've played the game for just over a hour and so far I've really enjoyed it. Its difficult but it's more a matter of learning the enemy's patterns and how to fight them. Which is difficult when you are trying to move along to the beat to keep your combo up (which is just a multiplier for gold). Each weapon changes the way you play and makes you think differently about how to approach a room of enemies. One thing that I wish was in the game (which could still be added) is a mode for going through all the zones with the items you unlock between runs. As right now when you complete a zone, you get booted back to the main lobby instead of moving onto the next one.

Ferrio

Banned
So I've played the game for just over a hour and so far I've really enjoyed it. Its difficult but it's more a matter of learning the enemy's patterns and how to fight them. Which is difficult when you are trying to move along to the beat to keep your combo up (which is just a multiplier for gold). Each weapon changes the way you play and makes you think differently about how to approach a room of enemies. One thing that I wish was in the game (which could still be added) is a mode for going through all the zones with the items you unlock between runs. As right now when you complete a zone, you get booted back to the main lobby instead of moving onto the next one.

That's in the game, it's called Hardcore mode.

LordAlu

Goddamn, since getting home from work I've already put 2 and a half hours into this game and I haven't beaten Zone 2 yet. Getting used to the way how each enemy works isn't too hard, but when they're all coming at you at once you can mess up so easily.

Good thing it's so enjoyable! Each time I die I just want to play it again - the music is fantastic and the beat mechanic works perfectly. It's just good fun!

Moving and fighting are both only possible if keys are pressed in accordance with the beat of the currently playing game music, and players will have the capability to play the game using their own music.

The game I never knew I needed.
Fuck early access but I'll be there day one for a real release.

Xeroblade

I was wondering when this would get its own OT. Been following this game for a long while thanks to ThunderCast. Bought it today too, this soundtrack is great, great fun.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Not a big roguelike fan but the mashup with a rhythm game and the great soundtrack has me really interested.

I'm having a lot of fun with this so far. Watching the streams beforehand helped a bit with the enemy patterns so I often know what to do, but it's still difficult. Just finished Zone 2.

Also played around a bit with custom music and used a few Perturbator songs, which worked pretty well for the most part. Sadly it can't deal with intros and tempo changes, but maybe that'll be implemented at some point. I think there is some unofficial software that you can use to make custom beatfiles with but I haven't bothered with that yet.

Ferrio

Banned
So far I suck bad with the game. Also trying to calibrate the audio/video lag seems to be totally different each time I do it :(.

I actually did better playing Makoto's theme music (Spunky) than the default soundtrack.

Kalor

I've been trying to get high up on the leader boards and so far I've had good luck by getting onto the really specific leader boards like Hardcore run seeded custom music bard. On that one I currently hold 2nd. I managed to find a good seed with the seed YOYO DUDE which has a obsidian spear on the first floor which carries me through the whole thing. I would of got 1st if I didn't die on Zone 3 level 2 but I'll try it again at some point provided the scores don't get really high before I next play it.

But I've been having a lot of fun with the game so far. I've put just over 5 hours into it and still easily dying due to stupid mistakes. I don't know if I will play it regularly during early access at this point or just play a little and wait for the full release as I don't want to burn out on it before release.

Ferrio

Banned
Beat zone 1. Stage transitions really mess with my head... I'll get the beat for the previous stage... go into the next and instantly lose my combo.

Top Bottom