• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Never too late to sell. I reckon alts will be 20-50% lower, while btc will be 10-30% higher in next two weeks before the fork

Why did people start dumping into btc so early, this is sickening already.. All these forking bullshit splits wrecking alts. I'm tired of this ****

This shit is so frustrating

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Why did people start dumping into btc so early, this is sickening already.. All these forking bullshit splits wrecking alts. I'm tired of this ****

This shit is so frustrating

It is but it's a part of the game now. I personally think people should sell their alts unless you think that alt will be one of the few to buck the trend and increase in value. Then, buy back in when it's over and money starts to leave BTC. A risk, of course, but prices are dropping so much, it shouldn't be hard to rebuy for lower. I'm hoping that, once this nonsense is over, things return to normal.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
It is but it's a part of the game now. I personally think people should sell their alts unless you think that alt will be one of the few to buck the trend and increase in value. Then, buy back in when it's over and money starts to leave BTC. A risk, of course, but prices are dropping so much, it shouldn't be hard to rebuy for lower. I'm hoping that, once this nonsense is over, things return to normal.

If I knew better I would have just dumped all my money into BTC from the start instead of this bullshit of trying to support any alts

Just makes sense since BTC keeps going up for sure.. I will revise my investments if I recover from this shit I guess..

Brohan

If I knew better I would have just dumped all my money into BTC from the start instead of this bullshit of trying to support any alts

Just makes sense since BTC keeps going up for sure.. I will revise my investments if I recover from this shit I guess..

Yeah it's been a very educative few weeks in which I have Learned alot.

Now i just hope i can recover from this so that I can actually remain in the cryptoworld to use that knowledge in the future.

If it continues like this and alts don't recover then it will have been a very short ride for me.

To everyone pondering if it's too late to jump on the BTC train. It isn't.

Unless you have alts that don't have a lot of supply, I would jump ship to BTC and buy back again. If this continue, BTC will reach 10k before the fork. Even if it doesn't reach 10k, it'll probably keep gaining value and alts losing it.

Of course, don't take my word for it. I'm not a seer or anything.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Swing trading is highly interesting in this space... Pondering if to do it lol... Of course taking all other considerations that we already know of when these damn forks happen.

In trying to keep a fully open account of my trading adventures, I'll also be sharing my woes so as not to paint the image of a streak of perfect successes.

I made a mistake today and after making a killing trading BTC on leverage, I lost around 70% of my profits in a flash crash. I was greedy and waited too long in hopes of the price going up despite clear indications of the opposite. I still managed to get out without losing everything and I've been recouping slowly since.

I feel like I was playing Darks Souls and reached the end of blighttown only to die and start from the beginning.

It certainly was a mistake I like to think made me a better trader. I'm already up to 50% of my past profits and will try to get to where I was in the next days. This time with much more caution.

Don't be greedy GAF.

You don't unless you turn said crypto into fiat. Otherwise you have made no money.

So ideally what do you have to do if you want to spend your bitcoins? You transfer to some exchange only small sums you might need and then you use it to buy fiat?

If I had, say, 10 BTC, how dumb of an idea would it be to cash it all out?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
In trying to keep a fully open account of my trading adventures, I'll also be sharing my woes so as not to paint the image of a streak of perfect successes.

I made a mistake today and after making a killing trading BTC on leverage, I lost around 70% of my profits in a flash crash. I was greedy and waited too long in hopes of the price going up despite clear indications of the opposite. I still managed to get out without losing everything and I've been recouping slowly since.

I feel like I was playing Darks Souls and reached the end of blighttown only to die and start from the beginning.

It certainly was a mistake I like to think made me a better trader. I'm already up to 50% of my past profits and will try to get to where I was in the next days. This time with much more caution.

Don't be greedy GAF.

Exactly what I have been going through, lost about 50% of all investments in silly moves, noticed that on smaller $60-200 gains into pocketed profits I do much better with very stable coins..

Might do that instead of trying to be greedy going for "moons"

It has been a tremendous lesson, I know of course that other people have lost waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more money than I have but I have lost a decent amount for what it is, thanfully I don't really "care" that much for money in that sense. I have a stable life and low bills lol.... I'd stress out a hell of a lot more if that wasn't the case.

DonMigs85

So ideally what do you have to do if you want to spend your bitcoins? You transfer to some exchange only small sums you might need and then you use it to buy fiat?

If I had, say, 10 BTC, how dumb of an idea would it be to cash it all out?
I would cash out 8 and leave 2 in case John McAfee's prediction comes true

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Holy shit at GRS... To the ground

I left earlier today when I was pissed at least, Jesus a loooooot of people lost a shit ton of money

Brohan

I left earlier today when I was pissed at least, Jesus a loooooot of people lost a shit ton of money

I kind of expected the asic fad to end at any time.

Edit: sorry to hear that Borboleta :(. I guess it's very hard not to get greedy when things are going your way.

DonMigs85

Probably gonna pump again at some point.
Actually, was it one of the coins mentioned on Discord to be pumped n dumped?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Probably gonna pump again at some point.
Actually, was it one of the coins mentioned on Discord to be pumped n dumped?

No idea, this was compared to Vertcoin I think and shown to be much further ahead development wise. That's why it took off I think

man, I really want to start daily-cost-averaging on bitcoin, do you think ~60$ a month would be reasonable? i'm a student and a bit poor at the time

maybe i can go for a bit of a plunge if it drops to 5,000$?

Blam

man, I really want to start daily-cost-averaging on bitcoin, do you think ~60$ a month would be reasonable? i'm a student and a bit poor at the time

I do 100$ a paycheck but hey that's up to you. But yeah 60ish a month is fine since it'll always be growing.

mackattk

maybe i can go for a bit of a plunge if it drops to 5,000$?

Do only what you can afford. This stuff is still in its infancy stages. It is easy to get caught up with it all, but don't bankrupt yourself in "real" money to try to chase money in crypto.

That being said I am kicking myself selling antshares before it was neo. I don't want to think how much potential profit I lost. I am sure most people in crypto say the same thing.

Pangya

Aha, thanks. The IRS said they treat digital currency as property so my assumption was it's handled like stocks (short term gains/losses, long term, etc.).

This is correct. Even if you have not converted to fiat, you will have to pay taxes on gains/losses from crypto-to-crypto exchanges. I use a websites like bitcoin.tax to handle these. I wouldn't risk the huge penalty/interest down the road if the IRS ever decides to go serious with blockchain tracking.

Donos

Converted all my IOC with a bit of profit into BTC (~400€) and going to see how i fare at this fork. That DIONS countdown ended at a bad time :). Didn't convert my alts to BTC at any of the last forks (Cash and Gold) so this is my first try. Hopefully i don't miss the right time to act.
Won't touch my ARK though because i still get 3,5 ARK every 6 days and it's going to pump post fork anyway.

lol there are probably a bunch of ppl who bought GRS at ATH to not tmiss the moon and are bleeding badly now... going to visit bitcointalk and reddit to see the tears.

Going to put 5 - 10 € into SC every month (Siacoin) as long as it is still that dirty cheap now. There is a good chance to make some profits in 2-3 years or get lucky with a big cloud player buying them off.

Thoughts on buying into VTC at $3?

Think VTC might pump a bit over the coming days with the news of the AMD miner, buy the rumour, sell the news sort of situation for traders.

Personally I want to get back into BTC, alts have been causing me a headache and I doubt it will let up anytime soon despite some gains today.

Has anyone heard about Hashgraph yet? I watched a video interview with its creator and it seems like a pretty big deal. It seems to be useful for many things other than blockchain or ledger related tech. Like it might be useful for dealing with latency related issues in games or the stock market... etc.

https://youtu.be/Sg-0Dgxc0io

It sounds like mining would be a lot easier and more worthwhile eventually too.

gaming_noob

Has anyone heard about Hashgraph yet? I watched a video interview with its creator and it seems like a pretty big deal. It seems to be useful for many things other than blockchain or ledger related tech. Like it might be useful for dealing with latency related issues in games or the stock market... etc.

Don't know what it is but where and how can I make money on this?

Likes like they're only considering open source so it's a long ways off. If the market stays with bitcoin block chain consensus it wouldn't matter anyway.

RSP

I stumbled upon this earlier last week as well. Especially the fact that transactions can be checked on low-end devices (and CPU's) makes it very interesting.

I stumbled upon this earlier last week as well. Especially the fact that transactions can be checked on low-end devices (and CPU's) makes it very interesting.

Yeah, it looks like the device you'll use to mine won't matter much.

But can you buy tokens at all?

Not yet, but last I heard, they're looking into creating a ledger and their own coin.

They already have a company set up that is working with about 6000 credit unions throughout all of NA, so my guess is that most of their focus is on supporting those companies right now.

Don't know what it is but where and how can I make money on this?

Likes like they're only considering open source so it's a long ways off. If the market stays with bitcoin block chain consensus it wouldn't matter anyway.

Can't just yet, but we'll see.

New to the community. Active in the crypto-currency space.

How high will the pre-fork rally go and will Ethereum see a surge when the Bitcoin rally collapses?

Donos

Are BTC holders really still getting the new token in the fork? I'm getting conflicting info.

It's not as clear as with Bitcoin cash (Article on coindesk):

In this way, Segwit2x could have different outcomes.

First and foremost, whereas bitcoin cash developers appeared content to create a new blockchain (with new rules), Segwit2x's goal is to keep all bitcoin's existing users on one blockchain.

In this way, Segwit2x could have different outcomes.

These include:
  • Bitcoin's rules change. Most (or all) miners upgrade their software. The bitcoin blockchain continues to function but features larger blocks. Segwit2x's rules become the rules of bitcoin.
  • Two bitcoins are created. Only some miners upgrade their software. This creates two blockchains – a so-called "legacy" bitcoin, and a "Segwit2x" bitcoin, both with different rules and unique cryptocurrencies.
  • Bitcoin's rules do not change. No significant miners run the new software, and the network continues to run the current rules.
https://www.coindesk.com/understanding-segwit2x-bitcoins-next-fork-might-different/

Top Bottom