• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight loss

cryptoadam

Banned
Whats great about this thread is no one is saying that being over weight is because of the government, or some disease. People giving sound advice on how to take personal responsibility to control ones own weight.

Usually when this topic comes up we get all the excuses, food deserts, racist government, genetics, suburbia, etc.... Nah, just put down the KFC and move your butt a little bit. Discipline and perseverance.

kingbean

Whats great about this thread is no one is saying that being over weight is because of the government, or some disease. People giving sound advice on how to take personal responsibility to control ones own weight.

Usually when this topic comes up we get all the excuses, food deserts, racist government, genetics, suburbia, etc.... Nah, just put down the KFC and move your butt a little bit. Discipline and perseverance.

And we don't have people telling us to be proud of being big or some such nonsense.

No one wants to be a fatty and people shouldn't be happy being unhealthy.

kingbean

Just count cals and do a deficit. I was 273lbs wand went to 1200cals for a while, then started at the gym and upped to 1500cals. I lost 75lbs in 7 months. Now I'm slowing working on another 5lbs, but not in a hurry.

https://tdeecalculator.net/

Question. Sometimes it feels like I'm not losing any weight. Ive been told not to stress to much about it as long as I'm sticking to my calorie counting.

Like this week I went from 292 to 297 to 295 but I haven't cheated this week. I was told its mostly water or waste retention.

I guess my question is in that 7 months is that something you had to deal with too?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Question. Sometimes it feels like I'm not losing any weight. Ive been told not to stress to much about it as long as I'm sticking to my calorie counting.

Like this week I went from 292 to 297 to 295 but I haven't cheated this week. I was told its mostly water or waste retention.

I guess my question is in that 7 months is that something you had to deal with too?
It all depends on how you're losing weight. Some methods are more aggressive than others, so you're going to stall and drop pounds at different rates. Keep at it. It's not what the scale says today. It's what it says at the end of the week compared to last week.

Duellist

Dont worry about it. When I lost all my weight I weighed myself every morning first thing and recorded o a calendar. It was really amazing looking back on a year of weight dates and seeing how it all came off. It's like a yoyo.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Ya, I had my scale go up 4lbs in a day only to drop 4 lbs the next two days. It's water and stool. You could be over estimating your cals too if you slow down too much. Also less weight means less mass to burn cals.

jameswatson12

Neo Member
Overweight is the most common problem. Reduce your weight naturally. Do exercise and physical activity. Drink green tea. Avoid fast food.

Orpheum

All the best to you dude! Great job so far, you can be proud of yourself! Don't stop now.

Here's how i lost a lot of weight back in the day with just little exercise if anyones interested: No more sweets, no more soft drinks (didn't want to give up beer on the weekends though), cut the breakfast, just one medium/small sized meal for lunch and one regular sized for dinner that's it. I actually got way too thin due to this but i got back on track in the last 2-3 years^^

Jenenser

Gratz on the weightloss Kingbean.

I myself went from 216 pounds to 160 pounds.
(98Kg to 73Kg)

if you really wanna see what you have already lost/ what was on your belly, do this.

go to the grocerystore, and fill the cart with the amount of butter you lost in weight.

butter.jpg

that was on me. (well, 20 more packs of butter but W/E, you get the point :D)

have fun doing this, the moment you see it you will be proud of your accomplishment and it gets even easyer.
dont forget cardio/training tough.

Last edited:

janicetr

Neo Member
Hey, I missed this thread somehow! Weight loss was one of my new year resolutions, I went from 110 kgs to 104 kgs in first month. I am doing intermittent fasting (alternate day) and trying to minimise carbohydrates.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Lost 130 pounds when I was younger through exercise and eating 1000 calories a day 6 days a week.

Gained much of it back recently in a very short period, but back on the journey.
Doing Keto now, and down 25 pounds in a bit over 2 months.

Elcid

Banned
Don't know wtf zigzag method is but if you want to lose SERIOUS weight quick look up www.zerocarbzen.com
I've been on it for over a year. Gain strength. Lose fat. Build muscle. Works amazing and it's sustainable if you like fish/meat and eggs.

betrayal

Banned

Fat loss is not linear, so don't worry.

If you're feeling hungry every day i would suggest to check out other diet forms like fasting (i.e. 16-8). just cut the breaktfast, up your calories a bit and eat 2-3 meals containing mostly whole non or low processed food. What people don't understand is, that it is almost impossible to get fat with unprocessed healthy food and it's one of the best "tools" to lose weight. I also recommend the link mentioned below.

Most of what people eat is not food, but it's hard to understand this when everyone around you is doing the same thing. (The fish is not aware of the water type of thing.) If you want to really have a positive effect on your long term health (not only weight), the grocery / market shrinks to a tiny little area of living, whole foods.

https://www.allencheng.com/how-not-to-die-by-michael-greger-summary/

...is a good read in that regard (the link is a good summary of the book "How Not To Die").

Melubas

I've always been skinny, still am I guess, but after I met my girlfriend last year I've gained about 11 kg in relationship weight. In my 20's I could basically just take a walk a day and I would go back to 65 kgs, but now at 32 I find it much harder. I have a bit of a gut, nothing that's apparent when clothed but it still annoys me since it doesn't match up with my view of my body. I'll try regulating my diet and taking a run every day once the snow melts away to see if it helps.

I lost about 25 kg in 5 or so months and have kept it off for close to a year, just by eating less. I dont do any exercise. Thats too much work for me. Im 6'2 and weigh about 95 kg now.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’ve found losing weight to be relatively easy, although you can’t be lazy and you have to be very disciplined. Also, I didn’t start from a heavy weight. I’m sure it is much harder from that starting point.

What I did/do:

- 5 kilometre very brisk morning walk before you eat
- 1 banana for breakfast. Sometimes an apple too. 2 coffees with NO SUGAR.
- lunch optional. Not hungry/too busy: don’t eat. Mildly hungry: eat a couple handfuls of raw almonds. Very hungry: eat a sandwich. No mayo/sauce, etc.
- dinner: Always home cooked. 1 course. Doesn’t matter what, but if you use any jarred prepackaged sauces or flavourings, you will fail. Keep fried food to once a week.
- Snacks: whenever you like, but only raw almonds. No potato chips, chocolate, cakes, etc.
- Never add sugar to anything.
- Don’t drink soft drink/soda unless you are out somewhere and offered.
- Drink a couple mouthfuls of water everytime you walk past the tap.
- drink all the beer you want in the world, no restrictions.
- smoke like a motherfucker

RESULT = weight loss and fit

EDIT: I should add that if you follow this for a handful of months then you will be able to have takeaway/chocolate, etc whenever you like. But, “whenever you like” will be rarely because you will be disciplined by then.

EDIT 2: And when I say “follow this”, I don’t mean the smoking and drinking part. That’s just me.

Last edited:

squallheart

Great job! I need to start as well been feeling tired and out of breath. I want to lift more but have 3 hernias I need to fix...... does anyone know a good website for healthy eating?

betrayal

Banned
Great job! I need to start as well been feeling tired and out of breath. I want to lift more but have 3 hernias I need to fix...... does anyone know a good website for healthy eating?

I already posted a good summary of book above...https://www.allencheng.com/how-not-to-die-by-michael-greger-summary/

Check Part 2 "What To Eat". The book heavily promotes the advantages of whole foods, vegetables and fruits based on studies. Just try to incorporate some things and if you love meat etc. then do not change this.

In general i'm a bit astonished by most people here and their relation to diets for weight loss. If you are not competing in bodybuilding, which requires very low body fat percentages, or some other professional sports these diets don't need to be hard...no exceptions. Often the main reason for overweight is low activity paired with bad food choices. Both can be changed and most often only one needs to improve, but both are even better ofc. If you want to lose weight then hunger is one of the worst things you should have, because diets only done for a few weeks or months are a waste of time. It may be a testament to willpower, but it's still an a bad example. A change in lifestyle is what you should aim for, otherwise you shouldn't bother to lose fat, because you will regain it the months after your fat loss diet ended.

Last edited:

squallheart

I already posted a good summary of book above...https://www.allencheng.com/how-not-to-die-by-michael-greger-summary/

Check Part 2 "What To Eat". The book heavily promotes the advantages of whole foods, vegetables and fruits based on studies. Just try to incorporate some things and if you love meat etc. then do not change this.

In general i'm a bit astonished by most people here and their relation to diets for weight loss. If you are not competing in bodybuilding, which requires very low body fat percentages, or some other professional sports these diets don't need to be hard...no exceptions. Often the main reason for overweight is low activity paired with bad food choices. Both can be changed and most often only one needs to improve, but both are even better ofc. If you want to lose weight then hunger is one of the worst things you should have, because diets only done for a few weeks or months are a waste of time. It may be a testament to willpower, but it's still an a bad example. A change in lifestyle is what you should aim for, otherwise you shouldn't bother to lose fat, because you will regain it the months after your fat loss diet ended.

Thank you very much!

Just an aside to some of the good advice that has been posted. Most people living on the standard diet would benefit greatly by not only cutting out all processed food, but all sugar as well - even fruit for a time. Refined sugar wrecks your health and makes even the benign sugars found in otherwise healthy and fiber-laden fruits problematic for a sick body. Supplement your body's need for fuel (as a sugar replacement) with healthy fats from avocados, cold-pressed olive oil, coconut milk/oil, sprouted nuts and seeds, fatty fish, grass-fed ruminants etc. Doing this for a while will allow a system reset and give the gut a chance to heal from all the damage accumulated from refined sugars / processed foods. It's not necessarily easy to avoid all sugars for a while (sugars are cheap and easy fuel), but your body will thank you for it in the end.

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
Just an aside to some of the good advice that has been posted. Most people living on the standard diet would benefit greatly by not only cutting out all processed food, but all sugar as well - even fruit for a time. Refined sugar wrecks your health and makes even the benign sugars found in otherwise healthy and fiber-laden fruits problematic for a sick body. Supplement your body's need for fuel (as a sugar replacement) with healthy fats from avocados, cold-pressed olive oil, coconut milk/oil, sprouted nuts and seeds, fatty fish, grass-fed ruminants etc. Doing this for a while will allow a system reset and give the gut a chance to heal from all the damage accumulated from refined sugars / processed foods. It's not necessarily easy to avoid all sugars for a while (sugars are cheap and easy fuel), but your body will thank you for it in the end.

Coconut oil is one of the worst oils you can eat because compared to other oils it has a lot of saturated fat, which CAN be detrimental to your health on the long run if your diet is shit anyway. The good reputation is purely based on marketing, like for almost every other "super food" that's out there.

When talking about sugar I know where you coming from and in general what you write is far more healthy than most diets (either for gainging or losing or maintaining weight), but sugar is not bad and your gut can and will not "heal" because you cut sugar.
When you eat whole grains or other healthy stuff the complex carbohydrates will be transformed into simple carbohydrates aka sugar. This already starts in your mouth with your saliva and ends in your small testine, where enzymes break up the rest of complex carbohydrates. Just chew a bit longer on some healthy food consisting of complex carbohydrates and it will taste sweet in your mouth after the first enzymes did their work.
Your body can't do anything with complex carbohydrates. Before it reaches your blood and colon every "healthy" carbohydrate will be pure and simple sugar.

Last edited:
Coconut oil is one of the worst oils you can eat because compared to other oils it has a lot of saturated fat, which CAN be detrimental to your health on the long run if your diet is shit anyway. The good reputation is purely based on marketing, like for almost every other "super food" that's out there.

When talking about sugar I know where you coming from and in general what you write is far more healthy than most diets (either for gainging or losing or maintaining weight), but sugar is not bad and your gut can and will not "heal" because you cut sugar.
When you eat whole grains or other healthy stuff the complex carbohydrates will be transformed into simple carbohydrates aka sugar. This already starts in your mouth with your saliva and ends in your small testine, where enzymes break up the rest of complex carbohydrates. Just chew a bit longer on some healthy food consisting of complex carbohydrates and it will taste sweet in your mouth after the first enzymes did their work.
Your body can't do anything with complex carbohydrates. Before it reaches your blood and colon every "healthy" carbohydrate will be pure and simple sugar.

In terms of coconut oil, there haven't really been any long-term studies done. (that I'm aware of) Coconut oil does raise healthy HDL cholesterol though, for sure, but if you're eating a typical trash diet, I wouldn't incorporate it either. But my suggestion to use it was in conjunction with a non-processed diet, of course. Your body has to have fuel, and absent sugars (including grains), you must have fat.

An unhealthy gut microbiome will have an imbalance of sugar-feeding microorganisms. To restore that balance, it can be helpful to remove all sugars for a period of time while feeding the good guys - added probiotics and prebiotics, the foods they love (natural, mostly plant-based foods). That's my perspective, anyway, and what helped in my personal experience with some health struggles related to digestion, etc.

After more than a year I went to the restaurant yesterday evening for a work related dinner and I can hardly describe to you how proud I was and still am of myself.

Workmates were eating like shit going like "I'm full, I can't finish." at the end and I just sat there, enjoyed (I mean, truly enjoyed) my sushi and salad. Ditched the soft drinks and the sweets we got at the end for free (!!). I really didn't even care for it.

It was wonderful and I wish for everyone who is starting his diet to get to this point one day. It is not like it's portrayed in the movies with you sitting there and pitying yourself because you don't eat that stuff. It is the most proud feeling I had for myself in my life, not the least because I saw my younger self in those workmates that were stuffing themselves. Beautiful. I never want to be like that again in my life.

And you know what? One day later, I am so happy to see my oats and cottage cheese again. Not a single craving for that delicious food from yesterday left.

FYI: After a year of hardcore dieting I dropped in a cheat meal per week for single purpose of having some room to breathe if there is a special occasion at work or so. You know, so I don't have to decline every time there is a dinner party somewhere. So I was really curious to see how the evening would go yesterday. I remember back when I started my diet I would have huge doubts about it after a dinner like this. Now it's the complete opposite.

So, what can I say? Stick to it OP - and everyone else. IT IS SOOOOOOOOOOO WORTH IT.

I've been bouncing between 205 and 225 the last 9 months. My exercise routine needs to figure itself out, because I'm tired of the self inflicted yo-yo weight situation. It's a bitch when one works nights. I am looking for a daytime desk jokey job, (no call centers...never again.) so I can be lazy at work and be active at the gym instead of vice versa.

bati

Anyone tried Intermittent Fasting? 16/8. Eat between 12pm-8pm skipping breakfast.....

https://store.draxe.com/blogs/all/intermittent-fasting-secret

Might give it a go with some Bullet Proof Coffee :messenger_winking_tongue:

My friend is doing this on a keto diet, he's down ~14kg in a month and a half. He says he feels a lot better both physically and mentally in the mornings when he's still fasting. He also said that it's almost impossible to survive for him without coffee lol.

betrayal

Banned
In terms of coconut oil, there haven't really been any long-term studies done. (that I'm aware of) Coconut oil does raise healthy HDL cholesterol though, for sure, but if you're eating a typical trash diet, I wouldn't incorporate it either. But my suggestion to use it was in conjunction with a non-processed diet, of course. Your body has to have fuel, and absent sugars (including grains), you must have fat.

I agree that coconut oil has its benefits. But it has a lot of saturated fat compared to other oils, which have the same benefits as coconut oil but with less saturated fat.

An unhealthy gut microbiome will have an imbalance of sugar-feeding microorganisms. To restore that balance, it can be helpful to remove all sugars for a period of time while feeding the good guys - added probiotics and prebiotics, the foods they love (natural, mostly plant-based foods). That's my perspective, anyway, and what helped in my personal experience with some health struggles related to digestion, etc.

Sugar-feeding microorganisms don't care if you eat sugar ("unhealthy") or complex carbohydrates ("healthy"). For them it is the same. See, i know what you're saying and i totally agree (plant-based foods are good etc.), but sogar is not the enemy. Almost every gram of sugar never reaches the majority of gut bacteria because it will be diggested in the small intestine, which has a lot less bacteria than the colon. Also about 95% of gut problems come from the colon and have nothing to do with the small intestine, so most people make the wrong conclusion. Having things like diarrhea? It's never the small intestine, it's always the colon. Cramps and pain? 95% colon, where almost all gut bacteria don't even know what sugar is because the small intestine already absorbed almost everything of it into your bloodstream.

Reducing sugar can help people fighting their problems, but often healing comes because their generel diet is much more healthy than before, because if you drastically cut sugar your condition will improve automatically because you need to replace sugar with often way more healthier foods. Again, sugar is not the enemy. Eating like shit (also in regard to your gut bacteria) is the enemy.

TL;DR: I think you're completely right, but for the wrong reasons.

Anyone tried Intermittent Fasting? 16/8. Eat between 12pm-8pm skipping breakfast.....

I'm doing it every year for 1-2 months. It's just one of many tools. It will work, like any other fat loss diet, because you consume less calories than you need. In my personal experience it is the best way to lose weight, because it is easier compared to other fat loss diets. I'm rarely hungry during the 16 hours, with 6-7 hours of it me sleeping anyway. I eat between 1 PM - 9 PM. My day starts an 5 or 6 AM and i just drink coffee or water until 1 PM. The main advantage is, that if you're hungry you're only hungry for a few hours and after that you can eat and will be full for the rest of the day (eating healthy things). During most other fat loss diets you are probably hungry for 12 - 16 hours, which i think is harder than doing IF. Additionally you often don't need to refrain and/or restrict yourself when eating out with friends.

Besides that try to eat more protein during you diet, because you will be more full compared to eating more carbohydrates or fat, 20-30% of the calories coming from the protein will "vanish" thanks to thermogenesis and it helps retaining muslce mass.

PS: Technically speaking, if you drink bullet proof coffee during the fasting period, it's no longer fasting because you consume calories.

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
But isn't the MCT Oil which makes that coffee ideal for fasting? It appears many sites say so?

That's the conundrum. Either break your fast by consuming MCT aka calories and give up on all those great "benefits of losing more fat" when you are fasting (spoiler: not true) or hope to let MCTs do their work.

But seriously, if you want to lose weight don't overcomplicate it. There are studies that show that MCT can help some people to statistically lose more weight, but these studies also show that these effects of fat burning tapered off after some days (see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10232626 and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10348498 and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11033985).

MCTs have a propensity to be used for energy rather than be stored as fat and that's where the "magic" is coming from, but the body compensates for that after a while (see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12634436) to a level where it doesn't matter if you consume MCTs or LCTs (long-chain triglycerides). If you want to use some grams of MCT in your coffee, do it. It won't do anything for you. To see a effect you have to consume ~80% of you total fat intake as MCT, so the small amount in your coffee really does not cut it (also see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11694608 and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12634436 and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12975635 and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12532160 as well as the three links provided above).

MCT may reduce appetite slightly, but again, using it only for you coffee won't do anything and if you really have problems with hunger during IF, then this form of diet is probably not for you. So remember that one or two teapoons won't have a measurable effect and finally you should consider that pure MCT has a high price tag and there are whole corporations trying to milk consumers with this product. If you ask me, i would say it's not worth the money.

If you're doing IF, i.e. 16-8 or whatever, then make sure that your fast is during your sleep and adjust the eating window, depending on whats easier for you...cutting breakfast or dinner. Drink water, tea or black coffee during the fast and see how it works. In general you have to choose your type of diet, which fits best to your personal liking and everyday life and than stick to it and develop a new, more healthy life style for the rest of you life. There are no shortcuts, foods or magic pills if you wan't to lose weight, otherwise we would have known about it for quite some time.

Last edited:
TL;DR: I think you're completely right, but for the wrong reasons.

Well, I think one thing most people could (or should) agree on is that the best diet is a natural one that is predominantly plant-based. Sadly, few people eat that way, and then they wonder why they are having health issues.

For me, the food industry is a villain to well-being of humanity. It seems they've done a good job of converting people from eating naturally to eating poison. And it seems few lack the willpower or perhaps understanding to eat properly for health.

Duellist

If anyone is looking for a very good home yoga workout geared more towards high intensity rather than normal relaxing yoga I highly reccomend DDP yoga. Most workouts are less than a hour with most in the 15 to 45 minute range. I'm usually pretty skeptical about home workouts having tried p90x but man am I glad I bought this. With a good diet and this every couple of days the weight will pretty much fall off you. Watch this video, this is what made me buy it.

Last edited:

kingbean

Well I haven't lost anymore weight according to the scale, but I can fit into a jacket that used to be too tight so I guess it's still working.

Kinda bummed that I'm still in the 290s though. Guess I'll have to eat better calories or something.

I'd like to add; a deficit cannot be sustained indefinitely. Once you reach your desired slim mass, you will tend to chub back up. To avoid such a fate, you will have to find a constant diet + exercise regime, and stick to it for life. the biggest protector against fat gain is muscle. When I say exercise, I mean strictly weight training. Man or woman, build up your lean muscle mass. After 1-2 years of bulking up, you can literally get sloppy with your diet again. I physically can't gain fat anymore, due to my lifestyle it is impossible to chub up even if I have 8 sloppy shitty meals a day. Lean muscle consumes enormous amounts of energy.

Last edited:

kingwingin

Cutting calories in half from your total needed amount is likely to cause it to enter an emergency mode, which in return greatly lowers you necessary calories. If you start eating more again after some time, the body will keep that mode for a while and start gaining weight again.
It’s better to not reduce the intake to less than 2/3 to avoid that.
Can you site any studies that prove this emergency mode you speak of?

mcjmetroid

I've done the thing where I intentionally put on muscle and weight to get beefier but now I'm gone a little flabby at the belly so I had to change my diet as well as plenty of cardio. Should start seeing the results soon.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I'm looking to cut out beer completely, hoping that will lead to a few lbs off.
Beer doesn’t help weight loss of course, but I believe the “beer makes you fat” thing is mostly a myth.

I mentioned it earlier, but anyway, if you eat well and excercise, you can drink as much beer as you want. I sink the piss like you wouldn’t believe and yet I have no pot belly and am ideal weight. It’s not due to age either, as I am almost 40.

Of course, cut beer if you want to, but I guarantee you that the rest of your diet as well as amount of physical activity is having more influence on your weight.

cryptoadam

Banned

Well I don't think I tried IF, but I basically only eat at 7 PM for dinner and then have some snacks/2nd meal around 10PM.

I am super skinny and my GF wants me to get fat. But I have always been a skinny guy. No 6 pack and I am not ripped either.

I can't say it works or doesn't since its not a "diet" for me, its just the way I am.

bati

Beer doesn’t help weight loss of course, but I believe the “beer makes you fat” thing is mostly a myth.

I mentioned it earlier, but anyway, if you eat well and excercise, you can drink as much beer as you want. I sink the piss like you wouldn’t believe and yet I have no pot belly and am ideal weight. It’s not due to age either, as I am almost 40.

Of course, cut beer if you want to, but I guarantee you that the rest of your diet as well as amount of physical activity is having more influence on your weight.

One bottle/can of beer (0.5L) has ~200-250 calories. For a lot of people getting an extra 200-400 calories of intake per day is enough to slowly get fat over time, and with men especially the fat tends to accumulate in the stomach first.

At the end of the day it's simple math, calories out > calories in if you want to lose weight. You can continue to drink beer but then you have to cut something else if you notice you're slowly getting fat over time.

J-Roderton

I certainly drink pleeeenty of my calories. Really don’t have a bad diet, so really just interested to see the results of 0 beer after a month or so.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Words to the wise: My guess is if you’re struggling with eating
/drinking beer now, you’ll struggle in 5 years. You have to stay committed, eat your nutrition and fall in love with the grind. Weight loss stories help me to this day too, and remain viable options of motivation.

Top Bottom