• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 5 |OT| Gimme Dat Vergil

Fbh

Sorry to revive this. But I want to pick this up during the PSN Black Friday sale and I'm wondering if the deluxe edition is worth it.
Do the additional devil triggers have unique abilities or are they just skins?

Shifty

Sorry to revive this. But I want to pick this up during the PSN Black Friday sale and I'm wondering if the deluxe edition is worth it.
All of the deluxe gear has new stuff, to some degree or another:

Mega Buster - Rapid fire and charge shot projectiles. Also swaps in some Mega Man animations while in use
Gebera GP-01 - Same as standard Gerbera but its neutral move shoots you up/down depeding on whether you're grounded
Pasta Breaker - Nerfed version of Punch Line that lets you shuffle your magazine around
Sweet Surrender - Gradual heal, also a sex toy massage tool
Cavaliere R - Same as standard Cavaliere but with an extra air wheelie move and no super armor
Monkey Business - Banana themed reskin of Helter Skelter. Was JP-exclusive at launch, dunno if it still is.

None of them are particularly game-changing, but they're fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

TacosNSalsa

What's the price difference ? I found 2 of the 4 devil busters useful but to be fair I only used those 2 . The extra stuff like the announcer was pretty cool and the live action cutscenes were a hoot the first time watching

Reactions: Fbh

Fbh

Might go for the deluxe then, nothing sounds game changing but it still seems decent enough (and kinda BS that they weren't included in the full game at launch for $60).

What's the price difference ? I found 2 of the 4 devil busters useful but to be fair I only used those 2 . The extra stuff like the announcer was pretty cool and the live action cutscenes were a hoot the first time watching
Only $3

TacosNSalsa

Might go for the deluxe then, nothing sounds game changing but it still seems decent enough (and kinda BS that they weren't included in the full game at launch for $60).

Only $3

Yup! Worth it. Even more so if it still comes with the orb pack

TacosNSalsa

DMC V Platinum Trophy.

It's been a while since i enjoyed a game that much.

It truly deserves the Award it got
. Amazing work from Capcom and impressive results from the RE Engine.

I agree. This is one of the most pure video games I've played in a while . It doesn't try to consume you with mechanics on top of mechanics , in a large open world , puzzles or heavy atmosphere. It gives some guns and some swords and tell you to go kill sh*t in the most ridiculous and flashy way that you can to (imo) a kicka$$ soundtrack .

The Yamato is such a powerful weapon. Connecting Judgement Cut multiple times in a row & Aerial Cleave adds a finishing touch to an aerial combo. Void Slash is awesome when it’s the final blow. He’s such a good character. I was at level 89 in the Bloody Palace and choked at Cerberus I wasn’t doing enough damage and got caught in the AOE too many times.

Last edited:

DubReno

Playing as Vergil without turbo mode just feels bad, thank god Turbo is on SE and you can cheat engine the PC version for even faster turbo.

rofif

how the fuck do I turn off HDR on p version?!
Always the same issue with recent capcom games auto enabling hdr.
Don't they know we play on ips monitors? the hdr on my 4k lg is shit. It just makes the whole screen too bright and ruins contrast. I never use it.
Seriously. Most of the pc users who have HDR "capable" monitor should not use it. It is trash

in re7 adn re2 there was an option to disable it but I can't find it in dmc5 ?
If they are going to do this in re8 then I need to get ps5 version...

Last edited:

DustQueen

Banned
I do not understand why there is so much praise.
I get that gfx are great, sound, music n combat are fantastic but there is one serious flaw that basically destroys the whole experience.. N everybody ignores it...
I saw people turning a blind eye before but with this game it is ridiculous

What in THE GOD DAMN FUCK ARE THOSE?
ct3w6Qt.jpg

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Finally got around to playing it. It's a good game, but just like DMC4 there's some stuff holding it back. Namely the addition of V, story structure, and level design.

Although I've read that people enjoy playing as V, and I totally understand from a plot standpoint why he is so central to the story, I really wish they had excluded him from being a playable character in the game (and instead have his story only told through cutscenes). In doing so, I don't think the story would have really been affected to a great extent.

Story structure itself is kind of all over the place. I get that jumping back and forth is a popular way of telling some stories, but I never found it particularly effective when the story can just be told "as it happens" (i.e. in chronological order). I guess you could argue the series as a whole has done this in the past, where the story goes DMC 3 > 1 > 2 > 4 > 5, but that's really only one game out of 5 games being out of place, and not jumping back and forth.

The consensus seems to be level design is the worst thing about thr game, and now I know why people were being so critical before I got a chance to play it. Should have been a match made in heaven, with the RE Engine being so capable and DMC's iconic gothic theme. However, Red Grave City is so devoid of character, is ugly, and feels like a big corridor. I'm not expecting an open world (hell no as that's awful, especially for a DMC game), but I felt like I was super constrained and wished there would have been a lot more thought and care put into the level design.

However, aside from that the character design for Dante, Lady, and Nico were great. I'm not going to go into too much detail about Nero and Vergil, though they both look "off" for some reason (likely the hair), and of course Trish looks awful as everybody said.

Obviously the shining star is the combat, and it delivers in spades. I'm not the best DMC player when it comes to movesets, so it was nice having Nero as a playable character as I think he is the most accessible. The number of different Devil Breakers add some good variety, and the extendable arm that either drags you to enemies or pulls them to you is a nice touch. Dante of course has his usual set of unique weapons (and surprisingly despite going with a more realistic art style, his usual whacky animations where he showboats whenever he gets a new weapon).

Overall I honestly think this game is tied with DMC 4. It does some things better (no back tracking), but it does some things worse (level design and inclusion of V as a playable character), but was a great addition to the series and if this is the last game was a good enough send off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom