• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 5 |OT| Gimme Dat Vergil

Keihart

Paraphrasing "..i also have a couple of loudtalkers upstairs" So...Nero and Kyrie had kids confirmed? the legacy is growing?

Barakov

Just beat it. My god, what a ride. Kinda crazy that we got this and RE2Remake within a month and a half of each other.

I got chills when Vergil first showed up. Also his line about telling Nero to go to bed had me in stitches.

Meccs

There are only two things I don't like:
1. The dark areas. I constantly lose myself while fighting since I can't see shit because it's so dark or the background is so dark.
2. The camera in small rooms. It's a constant struggle for me.

Reizo Ryuu

Honestly enjoy playing V more than dante, especially with lock and load/ultra violet blasting in the bg.
Nero still king though.

Just beat King Cerberus on DMD. Sweet christ my hands, he's such a tank. Really forced me to learn how to dodge all the moves for each form and focus on my meter management.
This game is great.

Edit: Holy crap. Big spoilery news:

Modders made Vergil playable!

His moveset is somewhat limited and there are some bugs, but whew lad. He even has his DT.
This points to good things for Bloody palace and possible future DLC.

BoJ6nG.gif

Dmc3 had the best cutscenes. I just got Dante and so far they are lacking.

Keihart

I don't know if it is because i'm playing on HDR on a OLED or if it was simply the calibration of brightness before playing, but despite the game being very dark i had no problem tracking the characters during the whole game.
There are only two things I don't like:
1. The dark areas. I constantly lose myself while fighting since I can't see shit because it's so dark or the background is so dark.
2. The camera in small rooms. It's a constant struggle for me.

Idk if its just me but the game runs like ass on PC, i've put up with it for a while but the FPS counter I got doesn't match what I experience at all.

There's some sort of lag or stuttering that occurs sometimes and at random times like when Im moving around or switching cameras, but my nvidia counter never shows some sort of huge FPS jump. Ive tried everything from changing the config to DX 11 and limiting it to 30 fps, everything low, still the same issue. Anyone else having the same problem? Might just not bother playing it on PC then

Dacon

Banned
The amount of overpowered shit you can do with Dante compared to Nero and V is ridiculous. He just destroys everything. Absolutely wrecked everything with him.

Combo videos are gonna be ridiculous for this game.

Idk if its just me but the game runs like ass on PC, i've put up with it for a while but the FPS counter I got doesn't match what I experience at all.

There's some sort of lag or stuttering that occurs sometimes and at random times like when Im moving around or switching cameras, but my nvidia counter never shows some sort of huge FPS jump. Ive tried everything from changing the config to DX 11 and limiting it to 30 fps, everything low, still the same issue. Anyone else having the same problem? Might just not bother playing it on PC then

Game runs fantastic for me on a 960.

Shifty

What CPU / clock speed are you running? I have mild stutters on a 3.5Ghz i7-3770k and GTX 1080 combo.

They only happen for me when moving between areas or occasionally when spawning a new enemy type, so it doesn't render the game unplayable. Bit immersion breaking though. I suspect that they're to do with texture loading / streaming based on when they happen.

And for what it's worth, the Steam overlay's built-in FPS counter works well.

The amount of overpowered shit you can do with Dante compared to Nero and V is ridiculous. He just destroys everything. Absolutely wrecked everything with him.
The higher difficulties scale up pretty hard for Dante. His DMD missions in particular are among the most brutal in the game.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned
Just beat the game. Some immediate thoughts:

• I wish we could’ve actually seen Kyrie and her orphanage.
  • Nero’s “FUCK YOU” when you DT against Vergil is corny as hell and I love it.
  • Vergil using Doppelganger with Dante immediately saying “not in a million years” HAS to be a DmC reference.
  • The ending seems it’d like a pretty great end to the series. Nero protects the world when it’s in danger, Lady and Trish handle Devil May Cry, and Dante and Vergil are keeping the demon world in check.
    • But it obviously still leaves room open for a DMC6. We never actually did find out what exactly happened to Sparda, right? DMC1’s intro says he dies but any other game or source says he disappeared. Maybe Dante and Vergil will find him in the demon realm or something?
    • Also Mundus never actually died, he was just sealed in the demon realm again. Maybe he could see a return? Especially after the extra exposition he was given in this game.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Finished the game on Sunday, playing SOS now....

I feel like it’s the best in the series, followed by 3 and 1.
Hopefully we get another in a couple or so years.

Am I the only one having issues with the switching of locked on enemies mechanic in this game?! I've been a fan of this series since the first one, but I never did understand why switching which enemy you're locked onto by pressing in the left stick has never been upgraded. It's so primitive because it just randomly cycles through the enemies on the screen. Well, in this game.....I'm mashing it 3-5 times just to get it to switch once sometimes. I'm playing the PC version, is anyone else having these issues? It's making the harder difficulties much harder to deal with for me using V. And you can't change the button mappings of the left stick and right stick other than to swap their functionality between each other....what's the point of a controller configuration if I can't configure my controls! This game is so good....if somebody can mod this game to fix these issues, God bless you!

Shifty

A AgainstTheGrain I always just unlock and relock to target whatever is in the direction I'm pointing the analog. Cycling with the stick has had its uses when enemies are clustered close together, but I find it less consistent than doing it manually.

Keihart

So, the more i play with V, the less i like it. I feel like i have no control over what and how the familiars target enemies, executing the directional inputs it's not much problem but since there is no manual way of controlling the position of the summons it becomes very random. I wish there was a system to let V still and control the pets or something similar, i need more control to feel like i'm not just mashing buttons while reading poetry until i have to dodge.
I'm on my second run on the third difficulty and i'm starting to dread the V missions.

blackjon24

So, the more i play with V, the less i like it. I feel like i have no control over what and how the familiars target enemies, executing the directional inputs it's not much problem but since there is no manual way of controlling the position of the summons it becomes very random. I wish there was a system to let V still and control the pets or something similar, i need more control to feel like i'm not just mashing buttons while reading poetry until i have to dodge.
I'm on my second run on the third difficulty and i'm starting to dread the V missions.

I feel the same way I liked him at first but at higher level play it's just way more fun to play as nero and dante

Reizo Ryuu

His pets will -always- target the enemy you are targeting, It's only when you go in for the finish that they will start targeting enemies around you, to keep you safe.
They only target random enemies if you don't lock on yourself.

Keihart

This might be the problem, i rarely lock on with Nero or Dante, unless i'm doing directional inputs or trying to snipe something...might make the game a lot slower but maybe i'll rearrange the control layout for fast lock on switches.
His pets will -always- target the enemy you are targeting, It's only when you go in for the finish that they will start targeting enemies around you, to keep you safe.
They only target random enemies if you don't lock on yourself.

Edit: I love that this game has separate control layouts for every character so i can optimize it differently by play style.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

Beat it a couple of days ago and had some time to let it sit with me ..this is my game of the generation so far. Supplanting Bloodborne and DS3 . That says a lot to me because i absolutely ADORE those games. If I was asked for a top 5 GotG they would most certainly be 2 and 3 . The thing missing from those games that this game has for me is feeling. When I played Bloodborne and DS3 I didn't actually feel anything . I have over 1000 hrs between the 2 of them and had a ton of fun playing with my friends and helping strangers with bosses but that was the end of it . This game allows you to express yourself through gameplay. You can string together some ridiculously long and unoptimized combos simply because you want to and they look cool ..throw a taunt in why not? Switch to a split in half f*cking motorcycle and smack a f*cking demon in the f*cking face with it , all to a wicked sound track.

Barnabot

Taking my time to beat the game. I need to wake up earlier every morning to play the game before my kid wakes up.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I’m at chapter 7 now. Still loving this beautiful dream. It’s less wacky than I expected but it matches the realistic artwork.

V is a lot of fun to play. Reminds me of some of the DS Castlevanias for some reason.

Keihart

This might be the problem, i rarely lock on with Nero or Dante, unless i'm doing directional inputs or trying to snipe something...might make the game a lot slower but maybe i'll rearrange the control layout for fast lock on switches.

Edit: I love that this game has separate control layouts for every character so i can optimize it differently by play style.

Well, the lock on thing didn't solve my gripes with V, the fucking summons keep going wherever they want, i'm trying some things on the void but the flocking chicken and the cat keep moving in and out of range whenever they feel like, maybe it's linked to V's movement, not sure yet, either way it doesn't feel too controllable. Also, i didn't had problem with the lock on switch to be hard wired to L3 and R3 before because i rarely use it, but WHY? what the hell happened there. V's mission might become the vermin of this game in harder difficulties.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just Finish, game is fantastic and I hope there is some decent DLC on the way.
My only gripe is level design, game was rather generic towards the later half of the game.

Keihart

Unintuitively it seems that V's combat gives you more control over it if you get closer to the action since the pets tend to protect you or attack what's closer to you which kinda defeats the purpose of being a summoner but whatever, it works at least although riskier.

Shifty

Unintuitively it seems that V's combat gives you more control over it if you get closer to the action since the pets tend to protect you or attack what's closer to you which kinda defeats the purpose of being a summoner but whatever, it works at least although riskier.
You can use the sideways dodge to forcefully return Shadow to your side, and if you lock onto an enemy and hold it without attacking he'll run up to it after a second or so. It's not super snappy, but you can use it to control positioning.

As for Griffon, the dodge thing also applies but his back + button attack can serve the same purpose while also providing defense, and the forward + button attack is good for going in.

Keihart

You can use the sideways dodge to forcefully return Shadow to your side, and if you lock onto an enemy and hold it without attacking he'll run up to it after a second or so. It's not super snappy, but you can use it to control positioning.

As for Griffon, the dodge thing also applies but his back + button attack can serve the same purpose while also providing defense, and the forward + button attack is good for going in.

i've noticed this things, consistency is my problem tho, for example, shadow will only run after enemies depending on the distance which doesn't even seems to be consistent either in my tests on the void. I mean, they work sometimes, but not all the time. Dodge and double jump do work all of the time tho to get them out of danger.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

If you could just hang all the way back V would be insanely broken, because the pets aggro enemies.
That would mean you'd never get hit. If you want them to attack from any distance, you need to buff them to auto attack. Staying closer isn't that risky either since both chicken and shadow have massive aoe attacks that stun even the biggest of enemies.

Keihart

Well, yeah, i am playing from up close now and not having much trouble but idk, it isn't that much fun either, maybe i'll warm up to it it just doesn't feel as cool or deliberate as the other characters. I was expecting something more deliberate like playing with Carl Clover on Blazblue.

Edit: By deliberate i mean, making set ups with positioning and the likes, but getting them into position is so slow and sometimes doesn't even work so you cant make fast adjustments. I'm gonna keep trying up close to force their positions on V and then executing the moves, so far that is the best way to use them in my experience.

Last edited:

Shifty

I can't believe the game even graced us with a new version of this classic from the anime:

gybNxpO.png

Last edited:

Keihart

oh shit, i need those taunts but i'm not even close, but with Dr. Faust and bloody palace coming it's going to be a blast getting those orbs.

Not related, but i really like the promo theme from Hyde for DMC5 i wish it was in the game or something :(

Last edited:

Shifty

Any tips to get S ranking? Just not getting hit? Or is time a factor too?
Avoid getting hit, vary your moves, play consistently well. There's no more clear time / orbs found nonsense like in DMC4, thank goodness.
Style points are calculated using a running average of each encounter in a given mission rather than a running total, so you can't style the shit out of one and then flub the rest.

And if you're playing as Dante, don't be afraid to bring a simplified loadout if you're still learning his full kit.
The move/style proration will take that into account, so you can still rack up SSS combos with one sword and one gun if you prefer to play that way.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i got a question: my controls seem to be changing while i play. i'll be jumping with a button, then suddenly everything changes, and now i have to use a different button to jump. same thing for attack & shoot, those buttons switch as well from time to time. same thing for menu confirmation buttons. feel like this keeps happening, even when i'm using the same character. has anyone run into this issue?

maybe it's my controller setup. i'm using a plugged USB Nintendo Switch Pro controller. no idea why the controls keep shifting.

Shifty

Hearing them say "we'll always make action games that make you feel cool and want to show off your moves to other people" warms my heart. Good feature.

i got a question: my controls seem to be changing while i play. i'll be jumping with a button, then suddenly everything changes, and now i have to use a different button to jump. same thing for attack & shoot, those buttons switch as well from time to time. same thing for menu confirmation buttons. feel like this keeps happening, even when i'm using the same character. has anyone run into this issue?

maybe it's my controller setup. i'm using a plugged USB Nintendo Switch Pro controller. no idea why the controls keep shifting.
Weird, I guess you're running it through steam's input stuff to get the game to recognize it?

I know there's an option in there to swap the layout between Xbox-style A/B X/Y and Nintendo-style B/A Y/X, but that's not something that should change during gameplay. Could maybe be a dodgy cable causing a reconnect and messing with steam input somehow, but I'd expect that to be more noticeable.

One solution might be to disable the switch controller configuration option in big picture settings and run it through x360ce instead. I'm not sure if that works for wired though, since I've only heard of people using it with a bluetooth connection.

Last edited:

Keihart

Didn't realize until my second play-through that rawhide uses its own chain as the snatch instead of the wire, and you get a kick out of it if you end up being pulled.
When you get devil trigger you can pull some enemies in certain states that usually you can't, for example the Behemot once staggered after breaking the armor can be pulled towards you, not up tho

Last edited:
I played the demo, didnt really like it. Then all the amazing GIFs convinced me to buy it. Now its my favorite action game this gen. Im on mission 8 now. V is one of the coolest characters of all time. So much to love about this game, and the pros vastly outweigh the cons.

Anyways, some pics from this bad ass game. X1X version
I4JPug1.jpg

m76geKO.jpg

w4s66Wk.jpg

xqTNu99.jpg

wTfX2cc.jpg

LvSzRrI.jpg

OvaD4oU.jpg

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

Made it to chapter 18 on SoS mode and I honestly feel like Devil Hunter difficulty doesn't do this game justice...DH mode is a fine time to be sure but still feels kinda held back in comparison.

Last edited:
Top Bottom