• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 5 |OT| Gimme Dat Vergil

I'm in mission 20 in SoS and ... oh boy, that's my Vergil. He is destroying me. Her second phase is super saiyan mode. Sweet. DMD is gonna be truly fun but I cannot imagine beating this on Hell or Hell.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Finished my human run. Got mostly S ranks so i wont have to go back and play many for the platinum.

Son of Sparda is so good. It really should have been Hunter. God this game is special.

Shifty

Anyone who has a fancy controller with paddles, try mapping them to D-Pad Direction + B using Steam Input.
Voila, a dedicated button for each style. Playing Dante has never felt so intuitive.

You could probably do this directly on the D-Pad as well if you use a claw grip for simultaneous movement and style switching.
It's rad being able to royalguard with one button.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Anyone who has a fancy controller with paddles, try mapping them to D-Pad Direction + B using Steam Input.
Voila, a dedicated button for each style. Playing Dante has never felt so intuitive.

You could probably do this directly on the D-Pad as well if you use a claw grip for simultaneous movement and style switching.
It's rad being able to royalguard with one button.

Lent mine to a friend, think I’ll just pick up a razor controller to replace it. Sounds like a wicked idea. Thanks!

Hotspurr

Banned
Not sure if this is common knowledge, but for Nero you can change the mapping of the gun to one of the triggers (I use the right one). You can then always keep a charged shot, it was a big thing in DMC4 and makes combat more satisfying.

Keihart

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but for Nero you can change the mapping of the gun to one of the triggers (I use the right one). You can then always keep a charged shot, it was a big thing in DMC4 and makes combat more satisfying.
Yeah, i have a custom button layout for every character, since the game remembers them separetly, and one of those changes is R2 for Blue Rose, i also have R1 for devil breakers so i can charge them mid combo and use those skills as finishers. Nero has a lot of holding button stuff.

Talking about that monster that disappears...accidentally with Nero i used the buster arm to counter one of his attacks, i still don't know which attack is exactly, but i'm pretty sure there is a reversal hidden in there.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Anyone playing on KBM? Everything feels good except the targeting system.. Any advice on possible reconfigurations?

Shifty

This is solid advice, but...
I feel like unlocking the devil bringer on your first clear messes that up, since buster knuckle is like exceed but for the start of a move instead of the end. I mapped it to X for a while which is handy for plinking Y-X to do it during combos, but I've found that using anything but RT passsively messes up the rest of my muscle memory.
Now I'm experimenting with using paddles for gun and breaker charging. So many inputs to think about :messenger_astonished:

Yeah, i have a custom button layout for every character, since the game remembers them separetly, and one of those changes is R2 for Blue Rose, i also have R1 for devil breakers so i can charge them mid combo and use those skills as finishers. Nero has a lot of holding button stuff.
That sounds like a decent setup for charging, though I can't handle R1 being anything but lock-on at this point. The muscle memory for it is far too ingrained...

Anyone playing on KBM? Everything feels good except the targeting system.. Any advice on possible reconfigurations?
The first button my hands went to for lock-on was right click when I tried it briefly. I'd probably put sword on left click and the gun and breaker on side mouse buttons if you have them, then maybe middle mouse or mousewheel for target switching.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

He's the closest thing this game has to "that one enemy" but I reckon the noclip angel guys from 3 and Mephisto / Blitz from 4 have him beat.
Blitz was way less annoying to me. Though I found out that Dante with gunslinger or king cerberus can just stunlock him forever.

Talking about that monster that disappears...accidentally with Nero i used the buster arm to counter one of his attacks, i still don't know which attack is exactly, but i'm pretty sure there is a reversal hidden in there.
This is not exclusive to nero or that enemy, everyone can parry nearly every attack in the game if you time it right.

Keihart

Blitz was way less annoying to me. Though I found out that Dante with gunslinger or king cerberus can just stunlock him forever.

This is not exclusive to nero or that enemy, everyone can parry nearly every attack in the game if you time it right.
I meant a Nero buster arm reversal, like catching Credo's spear attack in 4.

Edit: Alternatively
I found one way to do it with rag time, but i remember doing it while the enemy attacked me, so there might be a moment to do it without staggering it

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

I meant a Nero buster arm reversal, like catching Credo's spear attack in 4.

Edit: Alternatively
I found one way to do it with rag time, but i remember doing it while the enemy attacked me, so there might be a moment to do it without staggering it

That's not a reversal, just a standard buster grab you can land on him any time he falls on the floor. If you parry him, you can just knock him down, casually walk up to him and buster arm him. This goes for every enemy that can't normally be grabbed.

Keihart

That's not a reversal, just a standard buster grab you can land on him any time he falls on the floor. If you parry him, you can just knock him down, casually walk up to him and buster arm him. This goes for every enemy that can't normally be grabbed.
I know that, that's why i said Alternatively, maybe there is no reversal since i haven't replicated it i'm not sure, but you know what i mean, don't you?
Edit: nvm, i see that you mentioned after knocking him down. Although it's not the same staggering them and knocking them down, there are 2 different states and you can only grab this enemies when staggered usually.

Edit 2: i messed around a little more in the void with that enemy and i'm pretty sure the animation i saw was just a buster grab in the air, so no counters with it. Using ragtime still makes fighting those things pretty easy tho, i had no idea you could trap them like that.

Last edited:

Keihart

So i was testing buster grab damage....
Charged devil breaker buster grab was over 4000 ...wth

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Edit 2: i messed around a little more in the void with that enemy and i'm pretty sure the animation i saw was just a buster grab in the air, so no counters with it. Using ragtime still makes fighting those things pretty easy tho, i had no idea you could trap them like that.

Yes this is because he's briefly without super armour before he attacks, if you time it super precisely, you can interrupt him without a parry. So a buster at that moment would just snatch him up like normal.

Shifty

Someone uploaded a high-quality version of the soundtrack.
The Nightmare and Shadow themes are even better than I thought :messenger_face_screaming:

Playlist:

There's even a Bloody Palace theme in there, right at the end.

Last edited:

Keihart

The buster breaker can one shot Vergil on Human
Santas macarelas Nox, i had no idea it was that poweful.

I've seen some videos where people seem to do a form of dodge in the air with nero, is there another move option in the air besides air hike, enemy step, taunt, calibur, gerbera and punchline?
Like in this video after he uses punchline in the air, he does like an air hike and something that looks like a sided dodge.

Javthusiast

Banned
Get ready everybody. Reeeesetera dug out some interview with Dantes VA in which he said something they deem problematic and the bashing thread has begun over there.

Some things he said.

- The Me Too and Black Lives Matter movements "go too far" and are causing harm.
- While he acknowledges that women have had it bad for much of history and men are too powerful, he then says movements like this have given women too much power and are now causing the same damage men do, and that they need to bring it back and achieve a perfect balance.
- In regards to Mignogna; Acknowledges that Mignogna is quick to give physical contact but doesn't believe he's done anything wrong, and ultimately victim blames by saying that women just need to tell him "No."
- Going back to Me Too and Black Lives Matter, he thinks the solution is that people need to learn to "forgive."

Regarding the Vic thing: Reuben missed all the drama surrounding Vic between his trips to Guatemala & Japan, was given a terrible summary of the situation by the panel hosts, & defended Vic based on the few times Reuben interacted with him.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Get ready everybody. Reeeesetera dug out some interview with Dantes VA in which he said something they deem problematic and the bashing thread has begun over there.

Some things he said.

- The Me Too and Black Lives Matter movements "go too far" and are causing harm.
- While he acknowledges that women have had it bad for much of history and men are too powerful, he then says movements like this have given women too much power and are now causing the same damage men do, and that they need to bring it back and achieve a perfect balance.
- In regards to Mignogna; Acknowledges that Mignogna is quick to give physical contact but doesn't believe he's done anything wrong, and ultimately victim blames by saying that women just need to tell him "No."
- Going back to Me Too and Black Lives Matter, he thinks the solution is that people need to learn to "forgive."

Regarding the Vic thing: Reuben missed all the drama surrounding Vic between his trips to Guatemala & Japan, was given a terrible summary of the situation by the panel hosts, & defended Vic based on the few times Reuben interacted with him.
I hate upsetera so much

Shifty

Some things he said.

Fuck 'em. No need to dedicate any mindshare to that when we know that people are allowed to have their own opinions- even famous mocap actors.

Reizo Ryuu

Santas macarelas Nox, i had no idea it was that poweful.

I've seen some videos where people seem to do a form of dodge in the air with nero, is there another move option in the air besides air hike, enemy step, taunt, calibur, gerbera and punchline?
Like in this video after he uses punchline in the air, he does like an air hike and something that looks like a sided dodge.

I've done that several times too, I think it's just a sidewards jump when locked on and interrupting a different animation. It's actually the table hopper animation, so maybe it replaces the regular sideways jump when you unlock it.

Shifty

I've done that several times too, I think it's just a sidewards jump when locked on and interrupting a different animation. It's actually the table hopper animation, so maybe it replaces the regular sideways jump when you unlock it.
It's a sideways (relative to your target) jump while locked on. Dante does it as well.

Sub_Level

Floor 20 - Goliath
Floor 40 - Artemis
Floor 60 - Cavalier Angelo
Floor 80 - Malphas
Floor 99 - Urizen
Floor 100 - Vergil

My guess for the bloody palace.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I hate upsetera so much

yeah none of this is damning or even offensive. so he has opinions on how activists could do better. so he is like everyone in the fucking world?

jfc this fake controversy. even in Reset's hitpiece they say he acknowledges thinking that women have had a historical uphill struggle. but that's not good enough cos unless you are advocating revolution with an eye rolling Captain Marvel avatar you are a hate filled Nazi

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
yeah none of this is damning or even offensive. so he has opinions on how activists could do better. so he is like everyone in the fucking world?

jfc this fake controversy. even in Reset's hitpiece they say he acknowledges thinking that women have had a historical uphill struggle. but that's not good enough cos unless you are advocating revolution with an eye rolling Captain Marvel avatar you are a hate filled Nazi
And by tomorrow they will have forgotten all about this and move on to something else to cry about

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I'm on mission 15 and I'm having a blast overral.

Minor complaints:
- So many loading screens. They're not long, but loading for enter the menu game, load to enter the shop, load to get back to the menu, load to get back to the game... It's annoying.
- V is kinda boring to play. You can just press the button to attack and sometime here and there you dodge.
- Why I can't change my Devil Breaker, Capcom? Why? Just why?

Keihart

I'm on mission 15 and I'm having a blast overral.

Minor complaints:
- So many loading screens. They're not long, but loading for enter the menu game, load to enter the shop, load to get back to the menu, load to get back to the game... It's annoying.
- V is kinda boring to play. You can just press the button to attack and sometime here and there you dodge.
- Why I can't change my Devil Breaker, Capcom? Why? Just why?
In an interview Matt Walker and Hideaki Itsuno explained that the intent with having presets magazines for devil breakers was to separate Dante's and Nero's gameplay even more and to incentivate sacrificing them, they mention that when you start breaking them more willingly you'll start to see how the game is balanced around it. I'm paraphrasing of course.
TBH, i though you would eventually be able to switch between them but after a while i've gotten use to having them preset and gives Nero a whole new layer on execution because now you have maybe between one to four chances to execute a specific combo between 2 breakers on the fly and if you get hit your chance is gone. I've come to really enjoy using the breakers as consumables.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Nearing the end of the game now. Still having a blast and all the art design is really cool. The V twist was cool and a nice literary nod

Still love that you have a button that makes your goth character take out a book and read aloud William Blake poetry! <3

Keihart

I'm really loving the knuckle buster, looks pretty sick in some combos

I played the demo, didnt really like it. Then all the amazing GIFs convinced me to buy it. Now its my favorite action game this gen. Im on mission 8 now. V is one of the coolest characters of all time. So much to love about this game, and the pros vastly outweigh the cons.

Anyways, some pics from this bad ass game. X1X version
I4JPug1.jpg

m76geKO.jpg

w4s66Wk.jpg

xqTNu99.jpg

wTfX2cc.jpg

LvSzRrI.jpg

OvaD4oU.jpg

It's almost like a demo isn't actually the game ;)

#Phonepunk#

Banned
damn chapter 18 was pretty intense. i love that boss fight, and it was a cool idea for a level, fighting Vergil through conquering his familiars. was kind of touching seeing the chicken wish Dante farewell.

then the game revs back up into insanity - Nero jumps into a moving van and then decides to jump out of it again lol. Nico just barely escapes, with the van full of babes speeding off as the ground beneath her crumbles, a la John Cusack in 2012.

Nero may have jumped out of a moving vehicle during an earthquake but his confidence tells you he is going to be just fine. lol i love this game.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
ah i beat the game. the last chapter had not so much gameplay in it, but the story was beautiful. really loved this game.

it is cool they took it back to the start w Nero fighting monsters in the city. tbh that was the best part of the game.

yeah this game ruled. i'm glad i got it! now on to Sekiro...

Sub_Level

Is Malphas a joke boss? Just beat her in SoS. Has never given me trouble.

Guess she has DMD left to impress me.

I'm a little behind on the curve but holy shit this has to be the most fun version of Dante since DMC3, (I wasn't a huge fan of DMC 4's weapon selection and I didn't like the styles as much).

Balrog is sooooooooooo much fun. It's like they gave him Vergil's speed with fist weapons but he's actually faster than Vergil in DMC4:SE with fists.

Top Bottom