• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 5 |OT| Gimme Dat Vergil

Shifty

Is Malphas a joke boss? Just beat her in SoS. Has never given me trouble.

Guess she has DMD left to impress me.
She's reasonably challenging on DMD, but knowing how to reliably topple the chicken and get that free damage in makes it a lot easier.

I'm a little behind on the curve but holy shit this has to be the most fun version of Dante since DMC3, (I wasn't a huge fan of DMC 4's weapon selection and I didn't like the styles as much).
Totally. 3 with the style switcher mod has been my go-to for Dante fun times until now, but 5 has nailed it. So much cool new stuff, every weapon feels viable, and there's no fifth double-tap style to mess you up. Buen :messenger_ok:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
She's reasonably challenging on DMD, but knowing how to reliably topple the chicken and get that free damage in makes it a lot easier.

During her knocked down phase I was able to both charge a Showdown and subsequently Buster her. They really let you go to town lol

Javthusiast

Banned
My biggest issue with the game is the level design, especially in the second half. It makes replaying on other difficulties a drag. I am more excited to just play bloody palace and try all the cool shit, then running through the missions again. ( even though I still will do it. xD ) Outside of that one problem everything is pretty damn great.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I finished and... the ending is kinda "eh"

Really didn't felt like a last boss to me, and not because of the dificulty, but because it just didn't felt.

Belmonte

Finished yesterday.

It is insane how deep the gameplay is. Years and years of sharpening the franchise to arrive in this state. It is nuts when you realize Nero has enough moves and attacks to carry an entire game on his back, but no, there is V and Dante too.

V is simpler than the others but it is fresh and deep enough to be a great way to diversify the gameplay. Always good to take a breath from the insane action of the other two. At first it seems just button smashing but there is a space for creativity and expression.

And Dante, dude... if Nero can carry a game, Dante can carry three, four series alone. Insanely deep, even for me who didn't max everything yet. It is so fun, you feel the power and personality of the dude. I'm glad I'm a series veteran because even without any upgrade bought, Dante can be overwhelming for first time players.

The graphics are awesome, liked the new artistic aproach, liked the new music (minus Nero main theme which is so so). And I'm very happy how they reduced the jokes. The entire DMC concept is kind of funny on its own, if they try to be even funnier, like DMC4, it is too much. IMHO, it is better and cooler to take the story with a straight face. This is why I like 80s action movies more than modern takes of 80s action movies. The modern ones don't have the courage to take their characters and story seriously.

I like how they made Nero more chill too. Much easier to like him now.

Wish they opened harder difficulties from the start though. C'mon Capcom, you are getting too soft with age. Where are the bastards who made the hard mode the standard in DMC3? I kid. I think this way is better to get new fans for the series, but you should made hard mode open from the start for old players.

Last edited:

Shifty

From GDC '19 - Devil May Cry 5 has sold 2 million copies in 2 weeks:

pa2vojojokn21.jpg

Well deserved :messenger_clapping:

Last edited:
Game is absolutely amazing. This is my favorite DMC game and definitely one of my favorite games of the entire generation. On my third play through now. Or is it my fourth? Imo, this is the best playing DMC ever. The game has so much depth and all 3 characters contribute a lot to the game with their own distinctive styles. Games like this are one of the reasons I’m a huge fan of character action games.

Last edited:

Shifty

Found out that you can hold the Gunslinger button to stab Kalina Ann 2 into the ground and leave it behind:

1AF8802FD79458B9CFC5104CA98E0690F0013996

This game really is packed with cool little details.

Last edited:

Belmonte

Woah, discovered that if you beat the prologue boss you could change the difficulty. Very cool! Unfortunatelly I did not face him so seriously since I though it was an obvious "you will lose" boss.

Began Sons of Sparda and damn, now we are talking! Even cooler than the first run and upgrades/new moves don't stop to appear! The encounters are even more intense and interesting as it should!

This game needs desperately a Bloody Palace and perhaps a mode where you could play the entire game with your favorite character. Doesn't seem to be so hard since enemies are made to work against every character. One thing would made my day is if you can play DMCV Bloody Palace with another person, like Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Team Missions!

Wish they opened harder difficulties from the start though. C'mon Capcom, you are getting too soft with age. Where are the bastards who made the hard mode the standard in DMC3? I kid. I think this way is better to get new fans for the series, but you should made hard mode open from the start for old players.

As an older player who's played every game of the series (DMC was the very first game I bought with my PS2 working overtime at Best Buy during the summer in my teens in 2001)

I kind of appreciate them going easier, I just don't have the dexterity anymore.

Shifty

This game needs desperately a Bloody Palace and perhaps a mode where you could play the entire game with your favorite character. Doesn't seem to be so hard since enemies are made to work against every character. One thing would made my day is if you can play DMCV Bloody Palace with another person, like Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Team Missions!
I really hope BP is co-op at this point. Running into other people in mission 13 is too much fun to be a one-off setpiece.

I doubt we'll see the ability to play the whole game with any character in an official capacity, but the modding scene already whipped up a cheat engine table to do that (and Turbo Mode too.) Unfortunately it only works on the leaked denuvo-free .exe for now, but with any luck we'll see an updated version soon.

Belmonte

As an older player who's played every game of the series (DMC was the very first game I bought with my PS2 working overtime at Best Buy during the summer in my teens in 2001)

I kind of appreciate them going easier, I just don't have the dexterity anymore.

Yes, I agree. I was just kidding, it is good they did this, not only for older players but for people new to the genre. I have some friends who don't play brawlers/character action because they fear it would be too hard for them.

Wish I knew I could pick Sons of Sparda if I beat the prologue boss though. It is an elegant way to increase the difficulty

I really hope BP is co-op at this point. Running into other people in mission 13 is too much fun to be a one-off setpiece.

I doubt we'll see the ability to play the whole game with any character in an official capacity, but the modding scene already whipped up a cheat engine table to do that (and Turbo Mode too.) Unfortunately it only works on the leaked denuvo-free .exe for now, but with any luck we'll see an updated version soon.

Good to know there is at least this option. Hope they update to work with denuvo too!

I just finished chapter 13 earlier and it's so weird that it's only in that mission (from what I've seen up to 15) It really makes me wonder what Capcom was originally planning with it.

Woah, discovered that if you beat the prologue boss you could change the difficulty. Very cool! Unfortunatelly I did not face him so seriously since I though it was an obvious "you will lose" boss.

Began Sons of Sparda and damn, now we are talking! Even cooler than the first run and upgrades/new moves don't stop to appear! The encounters are even more intense and interesting as it should!

Don't spoil it for me but there's new weapons and abilities in son of sparda difficulty that aren't in demon hunter?

Last edited:

Shifty

I just finished chapter 13 earlier and it's so weird that it's only in that mission (from what I've seen up to 15) It really makes me wonder what Capcom was originally planning with it.
I believe mission 7 (Nero & V) also has a proper 'link' co-op opportunity starting halfway and going all the way through to the boss fight, but I can think of one time in 120 hours that it actually worked. The rest of the time the other player was already long gone...

Right now my theory is that its inclusion in the campaign is a side-effect of a more fleshed out Bloody Palace implementation, but I don't have anything to prove that.

Don't spoil it for me but there's new weapons and abilities in son of sparda difficulty that aren't in demon hunter?
In a manner of speaking. You'll see :messenger_winking:

Last edited:
I believe mission 7 (Nero & V) also has a proper 'link' co-op opportunity starting halfway and going all the way through to the boss fight, but I can think of one time in 120 hours that it actually worked. The rest of the time the other player was already long gone...

Right now my theory is that its inclusion in the campaign is a side-effect of a more fleshed out Bloody Palace implementation, but I don't have anything to prove that.

Well I mean it worked in mission 13, there was another dude playing Nero and I was playing Dante in that circular arena and it was fun as hell. From a tech perspective it's really kind of impressive how it just pops together seamlessly. Like there's no joining a host game or anything, both players are just playing their own level.

You know what though, I would bet 100% putting money on it that Capcom is going to use this co-op tech that they were working on this for a new Resident Evil Outbreak.

I guarantee you it's gonna happen and I wouldn't be surprised if we see it at E3 or something.

Dacon

Banned
You know what though, I would bet 100% putting money on it that Capcom is going to use this co-op tech that they were working on this for a new Resident Evil Outbreak.

Dude don't give me an erection waiting for an orgasm that will never come.

Belmonte

I love how youtube related videos spoiled the game for me :(

This sucks man. I have a very low tolerance for spoilers too. I recommend using another browser to search for videos and using "Unspoiler" a Chrome app which you can censor words.

That said, there is so much to experience in this game, gameplay wise and even character banter, etc that you will have an awesome ride.

You won't be able to max everything with one run (except if you use micro transactions). Some skills won't appear if you don't buy another one also. And there is what Shifty said... Lots of unlocking!

Meted

Anyone else absolutely hate playing as V? I'm up to dmd and it's just a slog playing as him, it's like I'm playing a different genre

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

I'm expecting bloody palace to be coop. NGs2 had it, bayo 2 had it, DMC isn't about to fall behind.
Also it just seems like a waste to have the network integration put in and ready to go, only to use it for a handful of encounters.

Javthusiast

Banned
I'm expecting bloody palace to be coop. NGs2 had it, bayo 2 had it, DMC isn't about to fall behind.
Also it just seems like a waste to have the network integration put in and ready to go, only to use it for a handful of encounters.

My biggest hope is new playable characters including lady, trish...

So we get Cerberus back from DMC 3 but you still gonna act like agni & rudra and nevan never existed huh Capcom.

Also, is anyone else kinda underwhelmed by Cavalier or am I just not using it right? It seems like it's attack speed animations are super slow comparative to the damage it puts out. I kinda like it's special with swordmaster but I'm really scratching my head on what's the most effective attack with this thing.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

So we get Cerberus back from DMC 3 but you still gonna act like agni & rudra and nevan never existed huh Capcom.

Also, is anyone else kinda underwhelmed by Cavalier or am I just not using it right? It seems like it's attack speed animations are super slow comparative to the damage it puts out. I kinda like it's special with swordmaster but I'm really scratching my head on what's the most effective attack with this thing.

You aint using it right lol. Its incredibly useful with swordmaster and a surefire way to stay in the air for extended periods of time.

Its basically dual chainsaws that can turn into a motorcycle. I mean holy fuck.

SweetShark

Who else the some specific Demons like Imp and Cacodemon from DOOM are suitable for DMC world as well?
They could EASILY do this kind of crossover.

Last edited:

SweetShark

I think Dante have a habit selling his old weapons. Just like that.
Also Cerberus had a tragic fate base a prequel light novel for DMC5.

Shifty

They talk too much :messenger_tongue:

My guess is that they're too well-defined as characters. Harder to put a spin on than the way they did Cerberus.

Any info how Blood palace would be played?
I never played the previous versions before.
100 waves of increasingly difficult enemy formations punctuated with bosses, and a timer that game overs you when it runs out and is refilled by defeating enemies.

It's where you go to get deep into the combat after mastering all the campaign missions.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

You got it backwards, cavaliere puts out an insane amount of damage, has the highest stagger rate, has super armour on lots of moves and can keep you airborne forever. In swordmaster it's especially devastating, because the swordmaster button acts as another sequence in the regular combo.
So swordmaster (repeat) is one combo, attack ->sm is another, attack, attack ->sm another etc..which are all devastating.
Bayo 2 still has better weapon design imo, but cavaliere is definitely up there.

Shifty

Finally got the Mission 10 S rank on DMD.

That mission is a right bastard to S on every difficulty. You gotta STYLE on that shit. I had to learn how to fly and how to do spoiler cancels to even stand a chance.

Sin DT Quadruple S

Current mood:
9yp1j78v60l21.jpg

Edit: And mission 12 :messenger_face_screaming: went down to a literal magic pixel of health during the boss and pulled out a win. Wew.

Last edited:
Finished the game recently and this is my opinion of the game. For a fast action packed game there are so many interruptions to action that I really got frustrated sometimes. There are so many loading screens. Want to customize, loading screen, done customization, loading screen, start mission, loading screen, enter room, room block cut scene, etc. etc. The level design and variety is also horrendous imo. DMC4 had better and varied areas.

Lady and Trish served no purpose in this game. Their interactions were like some high school teenagers than some badass chicks. They both could be removed completely and not one bit of game would change. Nico at least has a purpose for creating devil breakers. But then they make her some over the top sassy annoying chick with forced accent. Funny thing about her is that she drops you at some place stating that the Van can't go further and then you call her from some place late in the level, somewhat close to boss area and then she somehow arrives there with the Van. Should have just kept the Divinity statue in those locations instead to be consistent.

Story was bad. What was the actual conflict? That Vergil wanted to defeat or kill Dante? He pretty much achieved that in the beginning of the game. Then in the end he achieved neither of that but was somehow OK with not doing either because his son asked him to stop. I understand DMC is all about combat and gameplay but at least try.

The combat is top notch with nothing else coming close to rival it. I am not a good enough player to consistently get SSS rank but I can still have lots of fun with the amount of variations it provides for each character. The bosses were OK and enemies were fine. I just wish in future games they polish the other stuff in the game like less interruptions, better memory management, better story and level design and have characters who really contribute to the story or gameplay.

Keihart

Holy shit guys, i didn't notice this 'till now, but i think it's pretty bullshit...
So...i was playing in the void with Dante testing some some stuff and i wasn't able to do the "Red Line" skill of Caveliere with sword master, after a while i realized that it was because it's not a Caveliere skill, it's a Caveliere R skill.
I have the deluxe version so it's not a problem for me, but it's not like the Gerbera GP01 or the other optional breakers, this is just a better version of the Caveliere...

EDIT: Dude, did you miss the whole joke with the van? the fucking thing can like even dig tunnels and shit, it's pretty ridiculous, it becomes a running joke. Pretty big "whoosh" for you.

Last edited:

Ka-Kui

Finished the game recently and this is my opinion of the game. For a fast action packed game there are so many interruptions to action that I really got frustrated sometimes. There are so many loading screens. Want to customize, loading screen, done customization, loading screen, start mission, loading screen, enter room, room block cut scene, etc. etc. The level design and variety is also horrendous imo. DMC4 had better and varied areas.

Lady and Trish served no purpose in this game. Their interactions were like some high school teenagers than some badass chicks. They both could be removed completely and not one bit of game would change. Nico at least has a purpose for creating devil breakers. But then they make her some over the top sassy annoying chick with forced accent. Funny thing about her is that she drops you at some place stating that the Van can't go further and then you call her from some place late in the level, somewhat close to boss area and then she somehow arrives there with the Van. Should have just kept the Divinity statue in those locations instead to be consistent.

Story was bad. What was the actual conflict? That Vergil wanted to defeat or kill Dante? He pretty much achieved that in the beginning of the game. Then in the end he achieved neither of that but was somehow OK with not doing either because his son asked him to stop. I understand DMC is all about combat and gameplay but at least try.

The combat is top notch with nothing else coming close to rival it. I am not a good enough player to consistently get SSS rank but I can still have lots of fun with the amount of variations it provides for each character. The bosses were OK and enemies were fine. I just wish in future games they polish the other stuff in the game like less interruptions, better memory management, better story and level design and have characters who really contribute to the story or gameplay.
I mostly agree with you, especially when it comes to the story. It was extremely anti climactic and like you say his motivea aren't coherent and the game treats the ending as a joke.

Shifty

I have the deluxe version so it's not a problem for me, but it's not like the Gerbera GP01 or the other optional breakers, this is just a better version of the Caveliere...
If memory serves Cavaliere R has less super armor than regular Cavaliere, but I'd take the extra move any day.

I'm sure they mentioned that the only exclusive move was the aerial wheelie jump back when the game was being shown off pre-release, but I've never been able to pull off the ground version with regular Cavaliere.

Xbox live sent me a banana add on. What does it do?
The Monkey Business devil breaker? It's a joke version of Helter Skelter that has the same drill moveset but doesn't do much damage.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

Did anyone else beat the "V can't touch the ground" secret mission by riding Nightmare's back? Lol.

Also jesus christ S ranking mission 10 on Hunter is hard for some reason. I must be on try number 20 by now.

emetbCmKNtL1FZLQSqQ-cJCdr1rBHmpogYh58e-unAa3MCqbKkU3baeUmm4GI_Lq5uXZItRD2OyM5_I5B3OOFw

That mission is a right bastard to S on every difficulty

So its not just me. Good to know.

Last edited:

Helios

So its not just me. Good to know.
A lot of people are having problems with that mission. From what I understand, it's because on how the style points are calculated. The game gives you points depending on how much time you spend at each rank. So if you kill your enemies really fast, you'll not get as many and mission 10 has a lot of weak enemies.

Last edited:

UnusualSether

Neo Member
Played the game and I thought it was really fun, my only real complaint now is that since I never played a DMC game before 5 I went for human diffuclty, since its what the game recomended and I thought it was way too easy. Restarting the game on a harder diffulcity is cool because the game isnt that long but it would have been nice to get a challenging first experience with DMC.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

The bloody palace endings leaked. All 3 characters get a little 20 second cutscene for defeating Vergil heh.

Top Bottom