• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did today’s State of Play convince you that you need VR?

VR where do you sit?

• I own it and it’s awesome

Votes: 52 26.1%
  • I own it and it collects dust

Votes: 21 10.6%
  • I’m not interested in it

Votes: 27 13.6%
  • I want it, but the technology isn’t there.

Votes: 33 16.6%
  • Not interested.

Votes: 61 30.7%
  • this presentation told me I needed it, but don’t own one yet

Votes: 5 2.5%

• Total voters
I feel like ps4 isnt really ready for higher profile titles in VR. Next gen might change that as software isnt held back by base ps4 standards.

Hinedorf

Banned
My VR collects dust as I tend to find neck soreness over time. Iron Man looks like 15 minutes of cool I will definitely check out.

sendit

No Mans Sky VR will be hindered by PSVR horrible control input. The wands need to be replaced by a solution similar to oculus/vive.

Fbh

No. Maybe next gen.
I still think VR is cool but the Ps4 seems too technically limited to get it to a level of visuals and resolution where I feel it's worth the investment. Hopefully next PSVR is on the level of current PC VR

Also at this point in the gen and with new consoles probably coming soon I think it's just too expensive for a device that a year from now might stop getting support

Wonko_C

No Gravity rush Vr= not buy

I've been saying this too! Even if it's just a patch for GR1 remaster (since that one already runs at 60fps and wouldn't probably need to sacrifice detail/resolution). Let's pester Yoshida's twitter!

I'm pretty sure this would make everyone who played it vomit.
I went through hours of Ace Combat and Eve Valkyrie without a hitch. bring it on! And even if I couldn't handle it just walking around in those beautiful cities would be enough for me. That world is magical.

I went through hours of Ace Combat and Eve Valkyrie without a hitch.
Those games have you inside a vehicle, which gives your brain a frame of reference for the motion, preventing motion sickness. Not being surrounded by a frame would be very challenging, even for VR vets, when you are standing upside down on a building, then falling sideways.

Wonko_C

Those games have you inside a vehicle, which gives your brain a frame of reference for the motion, preventing motion sickness. Not being surrounded by a frame would be very challenging, even for VR vets, when you are standing upside down on a building, then falling sideways.
I should have said I also played through Megaton Rainfall. No cockpit there.

I wont say I'm totally bulletproof, I've gotten slight motion sickness even with cockpit games like Drive Club, but I've learned to pace myself and stop as soon as I feel the symptoms. After a while I got used to it. Same way I got used to Half-life 2 on my computer ages ago. The 60fps smoothness was too much for my poor Goldeneye 64-trained eyes... Man that game hit me hard, I was in bed for about an hour feeling like shit, LOL.

Last edited:

Mega Man

I want VR, but not a low end model. So PSVR is not an option. I'm thinking Rift-S is the way I'm going once it's released.

Hell, what else will I use my GPU for post Stadia? AM I RIGHT?! :messenger_smirking:

DadEggs

sign me up for vr 2.0 on ps5

also, even thoug hthere were a lot of vr games shown, i dont think the presentation was meant to sway people to getting VR

Last edited:

Romulus

Not interested. VR is a gimmick that adds nothing to gaming other than worse graphics, dizziness, headaches and vomiting.

Worse graphics come with an advantage on console. Better fps almost always. Not only that, motion sickness etc is not even close to being across the board. I've demoed mine to near 300 people and maybe 12 have experienced what you're talking about, and even then it was light, and gets better the more you use it.

Last edited:

chinoXL

I'm going to hold off...no point in buying it now when i will get it for the 5 next year. I've got an Oculus anyway but this presentation looked good. that horror type game looks crazy!!

Worse graphics come with an advantage on console. Better fps almost always. Not only that, motion sickness etc is not even close to being across the board. I've demoed mine to near 300 people and maybe 12 have experienced what you're talking about, and even then it was light, and gets better the more you use it.
I am not you nor am I 300 minus 12 people. And worse graphics are worse graphics.

scalman

no it didint convinced me. im still waiting for good VR to try, but PSVR games wouldnt be interesting to me i think. i saw couple cool games on PC VR side but still we need more. so maybe with PS5 VR i will jump to that train if that VR stuff will be inside console allready and VR will be wireless.

Meowzers

Never tried VR and I'm not that interested, but if a PSVR headset arrived on my doorstep...I still wouldn't be interested.

I like to be traditional. I just enjoy the games with a controller and that's how I'll always play.

giphy.gif

VR is great and anyone who thinks they understand it and have not tried it are lying to themselves.

It's a amazing complementary gaming experience, and as long as they keep pushing it and giving us larger games (we've had enough of your "experiences" aka tech demos) then its going to be a glorious future.

Really? I've tried it many times, it's just not that great still. I never for a moment was that immersed in any VR experience I've tried. The technology just isn't there yet. It just feels like a gimmick still because that sense of immersion isn't present.

Wonko_C

Really? I've tried it many times, it's just not that great still. I never for a moment was that immersed in any VR experience I've tried. The technology just isn't there yet. It just feels like a gimmick still because that sense of immersion isn't present.

Frankly it's different for everyone. It's theorized this is in grand part due to the low FOV. Some people are floored while some are underwhelmed.

I think I'm straight in the middle, I'm not as easily impressed/tricked as others but I still play it often because the games are fun.

I see people getting freaked out when falling from a skyscraper while I just don't feel anything. But physically taking cover behind walls and being able to peek around? That's my jam.

Petrae

I wasn’t interested when VR was touted as “the next big thing” 25 years ago. I’m not interested now. I won’t ever be interested.

Give me a controller and a TV. That’s it. No visors, no helmets, no waggling, no hands in front of my face, no 3D or 4D.

Romulus

Never heard anything remotely similar to this in my two years of demoing my VR.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
VR isn’t perfect, and it’s played by imperfect humans. We love the idea of VR, and it’s getting closer and closer to being legitimate, a simple hype conference doesn’t hurt VR. To answer the OP, yes. I do think this hyped the casual fans, the fans who bought the Wii for Wii sports.

Barakov

Not interested in it. I definitely get why it's cool and such but I'd rather use that money to buy more games.

No, it just made me think "why does Sony spend so much money and resources on this shit?" Lamest 30 minute direct I´ve ever seen, complete waste of time. They showed nothing of interest. That´s quite a feat.
They spend so much time and resources because it's future investment. Shouldn't be hard to understand.

I will only buy VR when it is untethered, low latency, and 4K 60 per eye, and minimum 200 fov. So basically, I'll be waiting awhile.
It's already low latency, and you'd likely want 4k 90 per eye rather than 60. On consoles, it's hard to say how long, but on PCs all of this is going to be common in 3 years, minus the 200 degree FoV, but it will still be a lot bigger at least.

I've had VR headset since the DK2 in 2014which was ~100°, 1080p and had external tracking.

2019, the PSVR still has 100°, an external tracker and is barely above in resolution...

PC headsets are not that better save for the Pimax. VR has been stalling so much, it might as well be going nowhere and in 1/2 years if the chinese market starts to have the same VR fatigue as the western market...VR is dead for this cycle until in comes back in another decade.
Not one manufacturer has dropped from the race. It's still going just fine.

That is down to the quality of the games. No one will have trouble getting immersed in something like Hellblade.

I wasn’t interested when VR was touted as “the next big thing” 25 years ago. I’m not interested now. I won’t ever be interested.

Give me a controller and a TV. That’s it. No visors, no helmets, no waggling, no hands in front of my face, no 3D or 4D.
Never say ever. Many people have said this, and a lot of the time that statement falls flat on it's face. You don't always know what you want until you experience things first-hand. That's how life is in general.

Last edited:
Not interested. VR is a gimmick that adds nothing to gaming other than worse graphics, dizziness, headaches and vomiting.
You have never used high-end VR before paired with quality games before, and please don't try to convince anyone otherwise. You also have no forward thinking skills at all.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

I had a PSVR but I sold it because it was rubbish imo. Too blurry.

Such a huge step back from 4k HDR gaming. I would like to try a proper VR headset though on PC.

I'm gonna buy VR in 2022 when it's $70 on a black friday deal. In the meanwhile I'm gonna kinda forget it exists.

Last edited:

Petrae

Never say ever. Many people have said this, and a lot of the time that statement falls flat on it's face. You don't always know what you want until you experience things first-hand. That's how life is in general.

I’m not sure what it is about VR that turns some people into the video game versions of Jehovah’s Witnesses who think that it’s their mission to convert every fucking person who isn’t interested in the shit.

I understand that it must be a weird concept to VR zealots, but some people just prefer traditional video gaming. They don’t want the wheel reinvented. They’re happy with a controller in their hands and using a regular screen.

That’s me. I’m pushing 50 years old. I don’t want change. I’m gravitating more and more back to retro gaming because that’s what I’m comfortable with. Simplicity. Shit that just works. I’ve already noted in several threads that this is my last console generation. I’m just about done with modern video gaming, because it no longer overlaps with what I want out of it.

VR adds more layers of complexity. Not less. Wearing shit on my head. Making sure I have enough room, so I don’t break shit. More wires. Health complications in some instances.

Nah. I don’t want that, and in the time I have left before I’m dead, I can guarantee that I’m never, ever going to want that.

Good for those who do. Maybe, after hearing the same lines of bullshit since the early 1990s about how VR was going to be the next big thing in video gaming, it’ll actually happen.

You seem to be under the impression that it's specifically hardware-related? Motion sickness occurs only through artificial locomotion. Therefore games with teleportation or own body movement will not give someone sickness at 90Hz - as long as IPD adjustment is correct.

"I've tried it and not impressed"

It's bullshit like this that puts legitimate people off, I was one who was put off by the "its wank the tech ain't there" or "it made me pass out in my own vomit"

.. I don't believe you.

I've shown VR off to everyone who's been round my house and everyone has loved it, they've either bought it themselves or wish they had disposable cash for it
Not a single person has gone "meh" or "gimmick" I've had die hard haters of PS and VR who've never tried it go "go on then" and come away with a completely different view after about 20 minutes.

Edit: as for the motion sickness debate yes you will get it, I got it after my first 10 minutes you just got to harden up to this new experience for your mind and body.

Step 1: Only play static experiences to begin with (the heist)

Step 2: move onto static motion experiences (rush of blood)

Step 3: move onto motion games (Resi 7) and start tinkering with the blinders and smooth turning after you get comfortable.

Step 4: Put DIRT really on and have the biggest smile.

The most Important thing to remember is never push through when feeling woozy, time out and let someone else play while you have a cup of tea.
There are little tricks like chewing ginger gum and or having a fan on you while playing.

Oh and make sure you are standing on a rug or plastic mat so you can feel the floor change when moving around so you don't walk into the xmas tree... it hurts.

Stick to this and within a few weeks you'll have smooth turning turned on in skyrim with 0 blinders have the sensitivity cranked to full and running through dungeons with a bow and arrow like a medieval John Wick.

I still suffer with car sickness though in reality.. I can't seem to get that fixed.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what it is about VR that turns some people into the video game versions of Jehovah’s Witnesses who think that it’s their mission to convert every fucking person who isn’t interested in the shit.

I understand that it must be a weird concept to VR zealots, but some people just prefer traditional video gaming. They don’t want the wheel reinvented. They’re happy with a controller in their hands and using a regular screen.

That’s me. I’m pushing 50 years old. I don’t want change. I’m gravitating more and more back to retro gaming because that’s what I’m comfortable with. Simplicity. Shit that just works. I’ve already noted in several threads that this is my last console generation. I’m just about done with modern video gaming, because it no longer overlaps with what I want out of it.

VR adds more layers of complexity. Not less. Wearing shit on my head. Making sure I have enough room, so I don’t break shit. More wires. Health complications in some instances.

Nah. I don’t want that, and in the time I have left before I’m dead, I can guarantee that I’m never, ever going to want that.

Good for those who do. Maybe, after hearing the same lines of bullshit since the early 1990s about how VR was going to be the next big thing in video gaming, it’ll actually happen.
Jeez, could you be more delusional? I just said it doesn't matter what you believe you want. Many people couldn't care less about VR, and then suddenly did after trying it. Maybe you already did and didn't care for it? If so, you've got many more generations to come. You should, as a human being, be open-minded to concepts that you haven't tried.

Maybe it turns out that you will never want VR gaming even after trying it generation after generation, but I can assure you that the actual useful aspects of the technology would benefit your life. Not necessarily now, but as it becomes refined and evolves. So at least be open minded to the technology in general. You're almost 50 you say? What happens when you're 80 or 90? Will you at least be open to the idea of visiting places that you can no longer walk to? Or socializing? Or using it to distract you from pain?

Romulus

"I've tried it and not impressed"

It's bullshit like this that puts legitimate people off, I was one who was put off by the "its wank the tech ain't there" or "it made me pass out in my own vomit"

.. I don't believe you.

I've shown VR off to everyone who's been round my house and everyone has loved it, they've either bought it themselves or wish they had disposable cash for it
Not a single person has gone "meh" or "gimmick" I've had die hard haters of PS and VR who've never tried it go "go on then" and come away with a completely different view after about 20 minutes.

I don't know if I would go as far as saying everyone is lying(not that you are), but I know some are. It just doesn't add up. There was a post on reddit about the same thing. He was a demo guy for Best Buy, and in his time demoing VR to dozens of people per day for over a year he never saw someone that thought it was "just okay" or "not impressed." I thought he was exaggerating until I experienced a similar thing demoing mine to around 300 people. It just doesn't make sense somehow people on forums are just all "unimpressed" and "meh." Who are these people? I've demoed mine to a slew of gamers and never once ran into this sort of negativity. It's the exact polar opposite across the board in my real life experience. Nausea? Sure. Some headaches? Sure, but those things can just happen to some people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom